Newsgroup - Find Message by Reference - Message ID? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Newsgroup - Find Message by Reference - Message ID? - Mozilla ; Is there a way to find view past newsgroup messages by their Reference (message ID) in Thunderbird 2 - like the combination of Mnenhy and Message ID finder in Thunderbird 1.5? -- ***************************** Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO http://www.CycleTourist.com *****************************...

  1. Newsgroup - Find Message by Reference - Message ID?

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

  2. Re: Newsgroup - Find Message by Reference - Message ID?

    Chuck Anderson wrote:
    > Is there a way to find view past newsgroup messages by their
    > Reference (message ID) in Thunderbird 2 - like the combination of
    > Mnenhy and Message ID finder in Thunderbird 1.5?

    I use this extension "Newsgroup links" :
    "http://newsgrouplinks.fvds.frih.net/".
    It actually "Displays a link to the Google groups url of a newsgroup
    post, and an option to copy it."

  3. Re: Newsgroup - Find Message by Reference - Message ID?

    Nir wrote:
    > Chuck Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a way to find view past newsgroup messages by their
    >> Reference (message ID) in Thunderbird 2 - like the combination of
    >> Mnenhy and Message ID finder in Thunderbird 1.5?
    >>

    > I use this extension "Newsgroup links" :
    > "http://newsgrouplinks.fvds.frih.net/".
    > It actually "Displays a link to the Google groups url of a newsgroup
    > post, and an option to copy it."

    Interesting, but MessageID finder is capable of displaying the old post
    right from the news server. When I check for updates, Tbird tells me
    that there is no update found for it (to make it compatible with Tbird2).

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson Boulder, CO

  4. Re: Newsgroup - Find Message by Reference - Message ID?

    Chuck Anderson wrote:

    > Interesting, but MessageID finder is capable of displaying the old
    > post right from the news server. When I check for updates, Tbird
    > tells me that there is no update found for it (to make it compatible
    > with Tbird2).

    Try to make it compatible with TB ver. 2 manually .
    See
    "http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.thunderbird/msg/39bece0ff1ca2c9d"

  5. Re: Newsgroup - Find Message by Reference - Message ID?

    Nir wrote:

    > Chuck Anderson wrote:
    >
    >> Interesting, but MessageID finder is capable of displaying the old
    >> post right from the news server. When I check for updates, Tbird
    >> tells me that there is no update found for it (to make it compatible
    >> with Tbird2).

    > Try to make it compatible with TB ver. 2 manually .
    > See
    > "http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.support.thunderbird/msg/39bece0ff1ca2c9d"

    There's a suggestion for code to change at the mozilla add-ons/MessageID
    Finder/discussion page, but it doesn't work for linux.

    Real bummer :-( The Mnenhy/MIDF combo was kind of klunky, but at least it
    worked.

    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is it such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.

  6. Re: Newsgroup - Find Message by Reference - Message ID?

    Nir wrote:

    > Chuck Anderson wrote:
    >> Is there a way to find view past newsgroup messages by their
    >> Reference (message ID) in Thunderbird 2 - like the combination of
    >> Mnenhy and Message ID finder in Thunderbird 1.5?
    >>

    > I use this extension "Newsgroup links" :
    > "http://newsgrouplinks.fvds.frih.net/".
    > It actually "Displays a link to the Google groups url of a newsgroup
    > post, and an option to copy it."

    OK, that works just like MIDFinder -- klunky, but serviceable. The one in
    Netscape 4.79 was exactly right -- you could search backward one message at
    a time in a chain until you found the one you wanted rather than having to

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the
    American Public." -- H.L. Mencken

  7. Re: Newsgroup - Find Message by Reference - Message ID?

    The Real Bev wrote:

    > OK, that works just like MIDFinder -- klunky, but serviceable. The
    > one in Netscape 4.79 was exactly right -- you could search backward
    > one message at a time in a chain until you found the one you wanted
    > rather than having to go back to the original message each time you
    > wanted to try a new one.

    BTW , in Thunderbird -3a1 this feature has already included .
    ["http://tinyurl.com/2hwfxk"]

  8. Re: Newsgroup - Find Message by Reference - Message ID?

    On 8/21/2007 4:45 AM On a whim, Nir pounded out on the keyboard

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >
    >> OK, that works just like MIDFinder -- klunky, but serviceable. The
    >> one in Netscape 4.79 was exactly right -- you could search backward
    >> one message at a time in a chain until you found the one you wanted
    >> rather than having to go back to the original message each time you
    >> wanted to try a new one.
    >>

    > BTW , in Thunderbird -3a1 this feature has already included .
    > ["http://tinyurl.com/2hwfxk"]

    Ah, but will there ever be a TB 3 other than beta?

    --
    Terry R.

  9. Re: Newsgroup - Find Message by Reference - Message ID?

    Nir wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >
    >> OK, that works just like MIDFinder -- klunky, but serviceable. The
    >> one in Netscape 4.79 was exactly right -- you could search backward
    >> one message at a time in a chain until you found the one you wanted
    >> rather than having to go back to the original message each time you
    >> wanted to try a new one.

    > BTW , in Thunderbird -3a1 this feature has already included .
    > ["http://tinyurl.com/2hwfxk"]

    So you can leftclick on '3' and it will show you that message? At that
    point you can leftclick on '2' and you will instantly see that one? Like
    reading backwards without having to change your 'view' preference to "show
    everything"...

    I look forward to that, then! How close is 3 to release?

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However,
    this is not necessarily a good idea...."

  10. Re: Newsgroup - Find Message by Reference - Message ID?

    The Real Bev wrote:

    > Nir wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:
    >>
    >>> OK, that works just like MIDFinder -- klunky, but serviceable. The one
    >>> in Netscape 4.79 was exactly right -- you could search backward one
    >>> message at a time in a chain until you found the one you wanted rather
    >>> than having to go back to the original message each time you wanted to
    >>> try a new one.

    >> BTW , in Thunderbird -3a1 this feature has already included .
    >> ["http://tinyurl.com/2hwfxk"]

    > So you can leftclick on '3' and it will show you that message? At that
    > point you can leftclick on '2' and you will instantly see that one? Like
    > reading backwards without having to change your 'view' preference to "show
    > everything"...

    Just FWIW...

    Knode's been doing them like this for years:

    http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/refe...inks_knode.jpg

    Other approaches are:

    Xnews - there's a button that opens the parent article;
    Ctrl-and-that-button rebuilds the thread.

    slrn - Esc-p opens the parent; Esc-1-Esc-p rebuilds the thread.

    Lots of different ways to do stuff.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  11. Re: Newsgroup - Find Message by Reference - Message ID?

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> Nir wrote:

    >>> BTW , in Thunderbird -3a1 this feature has already included .
    >>> ["http://tinyurl.com/2hwfxk"]

    >> So you can leftclick on '3' and it will show you that message? At that
    >> point you can leftclick on '2' and you will instantly see that one? Like
    >> reading backwards without having to change your 'view' preference to "show
    >> everything"...

    > Just FWIW...
    >
    > Knode's been doing them like this for years:
    >
    > http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/refe...inks_knode.jpg

    I tried knode but didn't like it for some reason. Same with kmail, although
    it has some good qualities.

    > Other approaches are:
    >
    > Xnews - there's a button that opens the parent article;
    > Ctrl-and-that-button rebuilds the thread.
    >
    > slrn - Esc-p opens the parent; Esc-1-Esc-p rebuilds the thread.
    >
    > Lots of different ways to do stuff.

    ALL of them better than the TB offerings :-(

    "If your mechanic claims that he stands behind his brake jobs, keep
    looking. You want to find one willing to stand in front of them."
    -- B. Ward

  12. Re: Newsgroup - Find Message by Reference - Message ID?

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> The Real Bev wrote:

    >>> So you can leftclick on '3' and it will show you that message? At that
    >>> point you can leftclick on '2' and you will instantly see that one? Like
    >>> reading backwards without having to change your 'view' preference to "show
    >>> everything"...

    >> Just FWIW...
    >>
    >> Knode's been doing them like this for years:
    >>
    >> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/refe...inks_knode.jpg

    > I tried knode but didn't like it for some reason. Same with kmail, although
    > it has some good qualities.

    I'm not fond of Knode; to me it's kinda clunky and filtering/scoring is
    too proprietary (some news clients can share Score files). I have it
    and use it now and then just to keep current. One of my "home groups"
    is news.software.readers, because I'm a news client junkie and that's
    not specific to just one, which is why it's fun and a challengs. My
    primary clients are slrn for Linux and Xnews for Windows. Second tier
    would be Pan/Linux and Dialog/Win. But I also have and XPN/Linux and
    TB/Linux/Win. Once in a while I'll telnet into a news server.

    Kmail does happen to be my favorite Linux email client. Sometimes I use
    mutt for looking at my local news spool.

    For TB news, I'm running the Hamster server on Win and the leafnode
    server on Linux, so I can bin Google Groupers' posts (as noted in my
    sig) by their Message-ID headers.

    >> Other approaches are:
    >>
    >> Xnews - there's a button that opens the parent article;
    >> Ctrl-and-that-button rebuilds the thread.
    >>
    >> slrn - Esc-p opens the parent; Esc-1-Esc-p rebuilds the thread.
    >>
    >> Lots of different ways to do stuff.

    > ALL of them better than the TB offerings :-(

    Well, it *will* be nice when TB catches up, yeah, I'd say most
    noticeably with respect to filtering/scoring.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  13. Re: Newsgroup - Find Message by Reference - Message ID?

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Lots of different ways to do stuff.

    One nice feature of PAN is that you can easily score a subthread by
    adding a rule 'reference contains' in a couple of clicks. So you can
    ignore an subthread or automatically colour it for attention.

    Dave
    --
    (Remove any numerics from my email address.)

  14. Re: Newsgroup - Find Message by Reference - Message ID?

    The Real Bev wrote:
    ------------------
    >> BTW , in Thunderbird -3a1 this feature has already included .
    >> ["http://tinyurl.com/2hwfxk"]

    > So you can leftclick on '3' and it will show you that message? At that
    > point you can leftclick on '2' and you will instantly see that one? Like
    > reading backwards without having to change your 'view' preference to "show
    > everything"...

    That's not the behavior I see with SeaMonkey. A right click gives a
    menu of options:

    Open Message for ID
    Open Browser with Message-ID
    Copy Message-ID

    Left click just exercises my pointy finger :-)

    > I look forward to that, then! How close is 3 to release?

    Rinaldi
    --
    Entropy isn't what it used to be.

  15. Re: Newsgroup - Find Message by Reference - Message ID?

    On 8/22/2007 5:48 AM, Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    > The Real Bev wrote:
    > ------------------
    >>> BTW , in Thunderbird -3a1 this feature has already included .
    >>> ["http://tinyurl.com/2hwfxk"]

    >> So you can leftclick on '3' and it will show you that message? At that
    >> point you can leftclick on '2' and you will instantly see that one? Like
    >> reading backwards without having to change your 'view' preference to "show
    >> everything"...

    > That's not the behavior I see with SeaMonkey. A right click gives a
    > menu of options:
    >
    > Open Message for ID
    > Open Browser with Message-ID
    > Copy Message-ID
    >
    > Left click just exercises my pointy finger :-)

    If you were using SM/suite trunk, for example 2.0a1pre, you would see a
    reference link if one existed. If you don't then you have an extension
    or preference that is preventing the reference from bing displayed - or
    there is a bug.

    >> I look forward to that, then! How close is 3 to release?

    long, long way out - consider v2 didn't come out til april 2007. v1.5
    was early 2006?

  16. Re: Newsgroup - Find Message by Reference - Message ID?

    Wayne Mery wrote:
    ------------
    >> That's not the behavior I see with SeaMonkey. A right click gives a
    >> menu of options:
    >>
    >> Open Message for ID
    >> Open Browser with Message-ID
    >> Copy Message-ID
    >>
    >> Left click just exercises my pointy finger :-)

    > If you were using SM/suite trunk, for example 2.0a1pre, you would see a
    > reference link if one existed. If you don't then you have an extension
    > or preference that is preventing the reference from bing displayed - or
    > there is a bug.

    You missed my UA string? Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US;
    rv:1.9a8pre) Gecko/2007081813 SeaMonkey/2.0a1pre. I see yours is
    Thunderbird 3.0a1pre (Windows/2007082004) which is a couple of days
    newer so there may well have been some changes.

    I do get an MID on mouseover.

    Time to do a new build anyway.

    Rinaldi
    --
    I gave up Smoking, Drinking and Sex. It was the most *horrifying* 20
    minutes of my life!

  17. Re: Newsgroup - Find Message by Reference - Message ID?

    Dave Royal wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Lots of different ways to do stuff.
    >>

    > One nice feature of PAN is that you can easily score a subthread by
    > adding a rule 'reference contains' in a couple of clicks. So you can
    > ignore an subthread or automatically colour it for attention.

    Sure thing. As you can do with the GUI of other clients and with
    clients that let you hand-roll your scores in a text file (or both).
    I've seen (probably in Xnews) a subchoice offered when a
    upscore/downscore selection is made that offers "entire thread" or "from
    here down", the latter meaning "this branch (subthread) of the thread".

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

  18. Re: Newsgroup - Find Message by Reference - Message ID?

    Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    > ------------------
    >>> BTW , in Thunderbird -3a1 this feature has already included .
    >>> ["http://tinyurl.com/2hwfxk"]

    >> So you can leftclick on '3' and it will show you that message? At that
    >> point you can leftclick on '2' and you will instantly see that one? Like
    >> reading backwards without having to change your 'view' preference to "show
    >> everything"...

    > That's not the behavior I see with SeaMonkey. A right click gives a
    > menu of options:
    >
    > Open Message for ID
    > Open Browser with Message-ID
    > Copy Message-ID
    >
    > Left click just exercises my pointy finger :-)

    Exactly the same thing happens now -- the above was sort of a question.
    Right now I don't get a choice after the chosen message opens up. I have to
    kill that one and go back to the original post and right-click the next
    message to open. You lose the train after a while.

    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% %%%%%%%%
    Sign on restroom hand-dryer:
    "Push button for a message from your congressman."

  19. Re: Newsgroup - Find Message by Reference - Message ID?

    On 8/23/2007 2:02 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
    > Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:
    >> ------------------
    >>>
    >>> So you can leftclick on '3' and it will show you that message? At
    >>> that point you can leftclick on '2' and you will instantly see that
    >>> one? Like reading backwards without having to change your 'view'
    >>> preference to "show everything"...

    >> That's not the behavior I see with SeaMonkey. A right click gives a
    >> menu of options:
    >>
    >> Open Message for ID
    >> Open Browser with Message-ID
    >> Copy Message-ID
    >>
    >> Left click just exercises my pointy finger :-)

    > Exactly the same thing happens now -- the above was sort of a question.
    > Right now I don't get a choice after the chosen message opens up. I
    > have to kill that one and go back to the original post and right-click
    > the next message to open. You lose the train after a while.

    in thunderbird, I see that the referenced message must be listed in the
    current view for the click-to-display to be successful. For example, if
    you click on a reference for a message that was read a week ago but your
    view is UNREAD, and the reference message doesn't list in UNREAD, then
    it won't jumpp to the referenced message.

+ Reply to Thread