Can't search newsgroup messages - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Can't search newsgroup messages - Mozilla ; Latest version: 2.0.0.6 Very surprising. Edit->Find->SearchMessages when reading newsgroups. It just can't find anything! I was searching for text strings in the subjects. I did a number of tests and it always returns no hits. Could this have something to ...

  1. Can't search newsgroup messages

    Latest version: 2.0.0.6

    Very surprising. Edit->Find->SearchMessages when reading newsgroups.
    It just can't find anything! I was searching for text strings in the
    subjects. I did a number of tests and it always returns no hits.

    Could this have something to do with my ISP? Shouldn't since the
    messages are donwloaded right here on my system.

    Searching messages works fine when looking at my inbox.

  2. Re: Can't search newsgroup messages

    Nir wrote:
    > orionwa@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> Latest version: 2.0.0.6
    >>
    >> Very surprising. Edit->Find->SearchMessages when reading newsgroups.
    >> It just can't find anything! I was searching for text strings in
    >> the subjects. I did a number of tests and it always returns no hits.
    >>
    >> Could this have something to do with my ISP? Shouldn't since the
    >> messages are donwloaded right here on my system.
    >>
    >> Searching messages works fine when looking at my inbox.
    >>

    > Use Quick search bar to do this job , see this image
    > "http://tinyurl.com/2x4s3h"

    But that still only allows rather simple searches, right? I. e. no
    improvement over 1.x?

    BR,
    Gudmund

  3. Re: Can't search newsgroup messages

    orionwa@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Latest version: 2.0.0.6
    >
    > Very surprising. Edit->Find->SearchMessages when reading newsgroups.
    > It just can't find anything! I was searching for text strings in the
    > subjects. I did a number of tests and it always returns no hits.
    >
    > Could this have something to do with my ISP? Shouldn't since the
    > messages are donwloaded right here on my system.
    >
    > Searching messages works fine when looking at my inbox.

    Go off-line by clicking lightbulb icon on bottom left of screen and try
    again?

    --
    Rev Robert M Jones, Wimborne Baptist Church, UK
    http://www.wimborne-baptist.org.uk

  4. Re: Can't search newsgroup messages

    Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> orionwa@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>> Latest version: 2.0.0.6
    >>>
    >>> Very surprising. Edit->Find->SearchMessages when reading newsgroups.
    >>> It just can't find anything! I was searching for text strings in
    >>> the subjects. I did a number of tests and it always returns no hits.
    >>>
    >>> Could this have something to do with my ISP? Shouldn't since the
    >>> messages are donwloaded right here on my system.
    >>>
    >>> Searching messages works fine when looking at my inbox.
    >>>

    >> Use Quick search bar to do this job , see this image
    >> "http://tinyurl.com/2x4s3h"

    > But that still only allows rather simple searches, right? I. e. no
    > improvement over 1.x?

    I find it a major pain that newsgroup searching is only allowed on the
    Subject and From fields. Means I have to go to GoogleGroups if I want
    to search for a post by body content (which is my most common search).

    I can see a logic that says that only headers are guaranteed downloaded
    and therefore searchable but OTOH if I am looking for something I have
    read then the body will have been downloaded anyway and if it hasn't I
    can't have read it and want to search for it again. Plus there is no
    such constraint on searching IMAP folders off-line.

    Tony

  5. Re: Can't search newsgroup messages

    On Aug 18, 2:42 am, Robert M Jones m...@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    > orio...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > Latest version: 2.0.0.6

    > > Very surprising. Edit->Find->SearchMessages when reading newsgroups.
    > > It just can't find anything! I was searching for text strings in the
    > > subjects. I did a number of tests and it always returns no hits.

    > > Could this have something to do with my ISP? Shouldn't since the
    > > messages are donwloaded right here on my system.

    > > Searching messages works fine when looking at my inbox.

    > Go off-line by clicking lightbulb icon on bottom left of screen and try
    > again?
    >
    > --
    > Rev Robert M Jones,

    I just tried do what you said. It does NOT work! I clicked the light
    bulp and it prompted me on some things, downloaded some header, etc.
    OK, so I have a message SELECTED that has a subject "We can obtain
    various..." and then I press Ctrl-Shift-F and search subjects for
    "obtain" and, like I have been saying, "no matches".

    The person who said that he can only search the subject field? I would
    LOVE to be able to do only THAT! I can't search ANY field that I can
    see!

  6. Re: Can't search newsgroup messages

    Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> orionwa@yahoo.com wrote:
    >>> Latest version: 2.0.0.6
    >>>
    >>> Very surprising. Edit->Find->SearchMessages when reading newsgroups.
    >>> It just can't find anything! I was searching for text strings in
    >>> the subjects. I did a number of tests and it always returns no hits.
    >>>
    >>> Could this have something to do with my ISP? Shouldn't since the
    >>> messages are donwloaded right here on my system.
    >>>
    >>> Searching messages works fine when looking at my inbox.
    >>>

    >> Use Quick search bar to do this job , see this image
    >> "http://tinyurl.com/2x4s3h"

    > But that still only allows rather simple searches, right? I. e. no
    > improvement over 1.x?

    Yup, only the simplest kind of searches, not the power or Shift+Ctrl+F.

    Tried clicking the lightbulb for searching off-line with Shift+Ctrl+F.
    It did present me with the search options I wanted, and seems to have
    found things at least in messages I did have stored off line.

    But... Opening such a message for reading via double-click in the hit
    list only shows an empty message. Not even a blurb about having to
    connect to a server. After finding the same message manually and still
    off-line, I can see and read the message content, but only by clicking
    in via the normal message list.

    It's a bug, IMO.

    BR,
    Gudmund