Outgoing mail doesn't work after updating to 2.0.0.6 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Outgoing mail doesn't work after updating to 2.0.0.6 - Mozilla ; Outgoing mail doesn't work after updating to 2.0.0.6 Tb shows error: During sending process happened a SMTP-server error. Server reply: Unknown command. For help, please contact your supervisor...

  1. Outgoing mail doesn't work after updating to 2.0.0.6

    Outgoing mail doesn't work after updating to 2.0.0.6

    Tb shows error: During sending process happened a SMTP-server error. Server
    reply: Unknown command. For help, please contact your supervisor

  2. Re: Outgoing mail doesn't work after updating to 2.0.0.6

    Janne H wrote:
    > Outgoing mail doesn't work after updating to 2.0.0.6
    >
    > Tb shows error: During sending process happened a SMTP-server error.
    > Server reply: Unknown command. For help, please contact your
    > supervisor

    Can you send messages using any other mail client like OE ?

    Looks like it is caused by faulty server
    ["http://kb.mozillazine.org/Connection_errors_-_SMTP#Connecting"]

  3. Re: Outgoing mail doesn't work after updating to 2.0.0.6

    "Nir" wrote in message
    news:K5CdnVjuwc50HVjbnZ2dnUVZ_gOdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Janne H wrote:
    > > Outgoing mail doesn't work after updating to 2.0.0.6
    > >
    > > Tb shows error: During sending process happened a SMTP-server error.
    > > Server reply: Unknown command. For help, please contact your
    > > supervisor
    > >

    > Can you send messages using any other mail client like OE ?
    >
    > Looks like it is caused by faulty server
    > ["http://kb.mozillazine.org/Connection_errors_-_SMTP#Connecting"]

    Yes i can send messages with Outlook and Outlook Express, but not with TB
    although all the settings are exactly the same. It still worked in the
    morning but
    stopped working straight after the upgrade.

  4. Re: Outgoing mail doesn't work after updating to 2.0.0.6

    On 8/17/2007 9:01 AM, Janne H wrote:
    > "Nir" wrote in message
    > news:K5CdnVjuwc50HVjbnZ2dnUVZ_gOdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> Janne H wrote:
    >>> Outgoing mail doesn't work after updating to 2.0.0.6
    >>>
    >>> Tb shows error: During sending process happened a SMTP-server error.
    >>> Server reply: Unknown command. For help, please contact your
    >>> supervisor
    >>>

    >> Can you send messages using any other mail client like OE ?
    >>
    >> Looks like it is caused by faulty server
    >> ["http://kb.mozillazine.org/Connection_errors_-_SMTP#Connecting"]
    >>

    > Yes i can send messages with Outlook and Outlook Express, but not with TB
    > although all the settings are exactly the same. It still worked in the
    > morning but
    > stopped working straight after the upgrade.

    Thunderbird messages regarding send/smtp errors can't always be trusted
    to accurately reflect what is happening between the client (TB) and the
    mail server. (won't get into that just now)

    Jane, is your mail account configured as SSL or TLS?

  5. Re: Outgoing mail doesn't work after updating to 2.0.0.6

    Janne H wrote:
    > "Nir" wrote in message
    > news:K5CdnVjuwc50HVjbnZ2dnUVZ_gOdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> Janne H wrote:
    >>> Outgoing mail doesn't work after updating to 2.0.0.6
    >>>
    >>> Tb shows error: During sending process happened a SMTP-server error.
    >>> Server reply: Unknown command. For help, please contact your
    >>> supervisor
    >>>

    >> Can you send messages using any other mail client like OE ?
    >>
    >> Looks like it is caused by faulty server
    >> ["http://kb.mozillazine.org/Connection_errors_-_SMTP#Connecting"]
    >>

    > Yes i can send messages with Outlook and Outlook Express, but not with TB
    > although all the settings are exactly the same. It still worked in the
    > morning but
    > stopped working straight after the upgrade.

    Have you checked your firewall for permissions for the new version?

  6. Re: Outgoing mail doesn't work after updating to 2.0.0.6

    On Aug 17, 8:45 pm, "Fred W." <""fred winter\"@earthlink net.InVaL1D">
    wrote:
    > Janne H wrote:
    > > "Nir" wrote in message
    > >news:K5CdnVjuwc50HVjbnZ2dnUVZ_gOdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..

    > >> Can you send messages using any other mail client like OE ?

    > >> Looks like it is caused by faulty server
    > >> ["http://kb.mozillazine.org/Connection_errors_-_SMTP#Connecting"]

    > > Yes i can send messages with Outlook and Outlook Express, but not with TB
    > > although all the settings are exactly the same. It still worked in the
    > > morning but
    > > stopped working straight after the upgrade.

    > Have you checked your firewall for permissions for the new version?

    I have the same exact problem. seems there is something wrong with the
    newest version. I went back to the old 1.5 version and everything is
    back to normal.
    Any suggestions....

  7. Re: Outgoing mail doesn't work after updating to 2.0.0.6

    On 8/19/2007 1:06 PM, eng.myousry@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Aug 17, 8:45 pm, "Fred W." <""fred winter\"@earthlink net.InVaL1D">
    > wrote:
    >> Janne H wrote:
    >>> "Nir" wrote in message
    >>> news:K5CdnVjuwc50HVjbnZ2dnUVZ_gOdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >>> Yes i can send messages with Outlook and Outlook Express, but not with TB
    >>> although all the settings are exactly the same. It still worked in the
    >>> morning but
    >>> stopped working straight after the upgrade.

    >> Have you checked your firewall for permissions for the new version?

    > I have the same exact problem. seems there is something wrong with the
    > newest version. I went back to the old 1.5 version and everything is
    > back to normal.
    > Any suggestions....

    Then the problem is probably in your firewall: it recognizes 1.5, but is
    not getting updated when 2.0.0.6 is installed. Clear your firewall of
    all TB entries, then reinstall 2.0.0.6 and use it. Your firewall should
    ask if is OK to allow 2.0.0.6 to access the internet.

    --
    Irwin

  8. Re: Outgoing mail doesn't work after updating to 2.0.0.6

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
> [...]

    if we believe what the error msg says, then it means this:

    sending of mail via SMTP involves a "conversation" with English-like
    commands (from the client) and acknowledgments (from the server) going
    back and forth. You could even send email by using telnet.

    E.g., one such command would be--> STARTTLS Or others such as QUIT or
    DATA or ESMTP

    So the server is saying that TB sent a command that it doesn't
    understand. It would be hard to figure what the bad command is, unless
    we used something like an SMTP proxy to listen in on the conversation.
    But the fault would seem to lie with the new TB version.

    But you might figure that the problem is with an encrypted connection
    (since that is more complex), so try it without TLS. Somebody else in
    this thread already had suggested this line of thinking.

    Btw, as used in TB (not quite the precise usage) SSL means "connect to a
    secure socket" while TLS means "connect over a plain socket then issue
    the STARTTLS command".

    If anybody wanted to experiment with secure connections, then STUNNEL
    would be a good tool to use.

  9. Re: Outgoing mail doesn't work after updating to 2.0.0.6

    Good morning,

    I closed my firewall, tried both SSL and TLS and it
    still won't function...

+ Reply to Thread