Thunderbird taking up 99% of CPU seemingly randomly - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Thunderbird taking up 99% of CPU seemingly randomly - Mozilla ; Hi guys, I have Windows XP SP 2 + all of the latest updates. It's running on a 1.2Ghz TBIRD w/ 1GB of RAM. My Thunderbird version is 2.0.0.6 (20070728) but this problem has been going on well into the ...

  1. Thunderbird taking up 99% of CPU seemingly randomly

    Hi guys,

    I have Windows XP SP 2 + all of the latest updates. It's running on a
    1.2Ghz TBIRD w/ 1GB of RAM. My Thunderbird version is 2.0.0.6
    (20070728) but this problem has been going on well into the 2.0
    versions. If it matters, I do run the latest version of Firefox and
    this 99% cpu usage happens whether I have Firefox open or not.

    My problem is and I don't know when this started but it's been going
    on for months and I cannot find a solution.

    Seemingly at random, Thunderbird will take up 99% of the CPU, drop to
    80%, drop to lower percentages, back up to 90% and then idle at about
    0%. It doesn't matter if I am actively using Thunderbird or not. It
    can stay minimized and still exhibit same behavior.

    I have tried manually setting priority to 'Real time' and that didn't
    solve anything either. I have tried uninstalling Thunderbird
    including the chrome directory. I've removed all addons and
    extensions, no luck. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, no luck. I
    have compacted all my folders, no luck. I don't have a clue what else
    to do.

    For what it is worth, I actively check (POP) 7 accounts. I've
    adjusted the times to 7-10 min for each of them as opposed to 3. That
    didn't help either. One one of the accounts, I have probably 20+
    folders. I also have a crapload of rules to sort my mail. I work at
    an ISP... I have not tried changing rules or eliminating folders yet
    but hoping to avoid that step.

    I know last I checked my Moz profile directory was 2GB or so and so
    maybe even with compacting, it's still large. I have also defragged
    my HD numerous times. No luck there either.

    I do have the bayseian junk filter setup on all accounts as well.

    Any suggestions on how to fix this? I really don't want to remove/
    delete any email or even archive. It's really handy having all my
    mail available for searching but maybe that is the solution. Really
    hope something else could be done to solve this though.

    ANY insight is appreciated. I've attached a screenshot of procexp
    showing some of the insane amount of WRITE IO's and READS. Also
    appears that it shows very high CPU usage too which is obvious. I
    really would love a solution!

    Thank you,

    Steve M. Ryan

  2. Re: Thunderbird taking up 99% of CPU seemingly randomly

    mrsteveo wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I have Windows XP SP 2 + all of the latest updates. It's running on a
    > 1.2Ghz TBIRD w/ 1GB of RAM. My Thunderbird version is 2.0.0.6
    > (20070728) but this problem has been going on well into the 2.0
    > versions. If it matters, I do run the latest version of Firefox and
    > this 99% cpu usage happens whether I have Firefox open or not.
    >
    > My problem is and I don't know when this started but it's been going
    > on for months and I cannot find a solution.
    >
    > Seemingly at random, Thunderbird will take up 99% of the CPU, drop to
    > 80%, drop to lower percentages, back up to 90% and then idle at about
    > 0%. It doesn't matter if I am actively using Thunderbird or not. It
    > can stay minimized and still exhibit same behavior.
    >
    > I have tried manually setting priority to 'Real time' and that didn't
    > solve anything either. I have tried uninstalling Thunderbird
    > including the chrome directory. I've removed all addons and
    > extensions, no luck. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, no luck. I
    > have compacted all my folders, no luck. I don't have a clue what else
    > to do.
    >
    > For what it is worth, I actively check (POP) 7 accounts. I've
    > adjusted the times to 7-10 min for each of them as opposed to 3. That
    > didn't help either. One one of the accounts, I have probably 20+
    > folders. I also have a crapload of rules to sort my mail. I work at
    > an ISP... I have not tried changing rules or eliminating folders yet
    > but hoping to avoid that step.
    >
    > I know last I checked my Moz profile directory was 2GB or so and so
    > maybe even with compacting, it's still large. I have also defragged
    > my HD numerous times. No luck there either.
    >
    > I do have the bayseian junk filter setup on all accounts as well.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to fix this? I really don't want to remove/
    > delete any email or even archive. It's really handy having all my
    > mail available for searching but maybe that is the solution. Really
    > hope something else could be done to solve this though.
    >
    > ANY insight is appreciated. I've attached a screenshot of procexp
    > showing some of the insane amount of WRITE IO's and READS. Also
    > appears that it shows very high CPU usage too which is obvious. I
    > really would love a solution!
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Steve M. Ryan

    Do you have any extensions working? Try running Thunderbird in safe mode
    to see if it is an extension contributing to the situation.

    If that doesnt provide any assistance try the following test.

    Remove ONE of the accounts from the mail checks and then note if
    Thunderbird does the up and down CPU usage. If it doesnt, then the
    problem is with that account. If it still does, re-enable that account
    and disable another.

    Remeber to disable Newsgroup accounts as well (if you have them)

    Note that Thunderbird will use all of the available CPU especially when
    downloading mail, but this is quite normal. As soon as the mail is
    downloaded, the cpu usage should return to normal.
    If Thunderbird only used 50% of your CPU, it would take twice as long to
    download your mail.

  3. Re: Thunderbird taking up 99% of CPU seemingly randomly

    mrsteveo wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > I have Windows XP SP 2 + all of the latest updates. It's running on a
    > 1.2Ghz TBIRD w/ 1GB of RAM. My Thunderbird version is 2.0.0.6
    > (20070728) but this problem has been going on well into the 2.0
    > versions. If it matters, I do run the latest version of Firefox and
    > this 99% cpu usage happens whether I have Firefox open or not.
    >
    > My problem is and I don't know when this started but it's been going
    > on for months and I cannot find a solution.
    >
    > Seemingly at random, Thunderbird will take up 99% of the CPU, drop to
    > 80%, drop to lower percentages, back up to 90% and then idle at about
    > 0%. It doesn't matter if I am actively using Thunderbird or not. It
    > can stay minimized and still exhibit same behavior.
    >
    > I have tried manually setting priority to 'Real time' and that didn't
    > solve anything either. I have tried uninstalling Thunderbird
    > including the chrome directory. I've removed all addons and
    > extensions, no luck. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, no luck. I
    > have compacted all my folders, no luck. I don't have a clue what else
    > to do.
    >
    > For what it is worth, I actively check (POP) 7 accounts. I've
    > adjusted the times to 7-10 min for each of them as opposed to 3. That
    > didn't help either. One one of the accounts, I have probably 20+
    > folders. I also have a crapload of rules to sort my mail. I work at
    > an ISP... I have not tried changing rules or eliminating folders yet
    > but hoping to avoid that step.
    >
    > I know last I checked my Moz profile directory was 2GB or so and so
    > maybe even with compacting, it's still large. I have also defragged
    > my HD numerous times. No luck there either.
    >
    > I do have the bayseian junk filter setup on all accounts as well.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how to fix this? I really don't want to remove/
    > delete any email or even archive. It's really handy having all my
    > mail available for searching but maybe that is the solution. Really
    > hope something else could be done to solve this though.
    >
    > ANY insight is appreciated. I've attached a screenshot of procexp
    > showing some of the insane amount of WRITE IO's and READS. Also
    > appears that it shows very high CPU usage too which is obvious. I
    > really would love a solution!
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Steve M. Ryan

    Your profile is rather large, which might be the problem. Check the
    profile to see if it is one of those that has become corrupted with
    excess entries. It is rather painful to do, but making a new profile
    might be your best solution.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  4. Re: Thunderbird taking up 99% of CPU seemingly randomly

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
> [...]
    >> really would love a solution!
    >>
    >> Thank you,
    >>
    >> Steve M. Ryan
    >>

    > Do you have any extensions working? Try running Thunderbird in safe mode
    > to see if it is an extension contributing to the situation.
    >
    > If that doesnt provide any assistance try the following test.
    >
    > Remove ONE of the accounts from the mail checks and then note if
    > Thunderbird does the up and down CPU usage. If it doesnt, then the
    > problem is with that account. If it still does, re-enable that account
    > and disable another.
    >
    > Remeber to disable Newsgroup accounts as well (if you have them)
    >

    > Note that Thunderbird will use all of the available CPU especially when
    > downloading mail, but this is quite normal. As soon as the mail is
    > downloaded, the cpu usage should return to normal.
    > If Thunderbird only used 50% of your CPU, it would take twice as long to

    It seems to me that a lot of users are downright anal retentive about
    ram and cpu usage. Unless other applications are negatively impacted,
    'micromanaging' the ram and cpu values is a major waste of time. It
    might also be that the program monitoring usage is falsely reporting
    usage (some are better than others).

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  5. Re: Thunderbird taking up 99% of CPU seemingly randomly

    On Aug 17, 12:43 am, Ron Hunter wrote:
> [...]

    > > Thunderbird does the up and down CPU usage. If it doesnt, then the
    > > problem is with that account. If it still does, re-enable that account
    > > and disable another.

    > > Remeber to disable Newsgroup accounts as well (if you have them)

    > > Note that Thunderbird will use all of the available CPU especially when
    > > downloading mail, but this is quite normal. As soon as the mail is
    > > downloaded, the cpu usage should return to normal.
    > > If Thunderbird only used 50% of your CPU, it would take twice as long to
    > > download your mail.

    > It seems to me that a lot of users are downright anal retentive about
    > ram and cpu usage. Unless other applications are negatively impacted,
    > 'micromanaging' the ram and cpu values is a major waste of time. It
    > might also be that the program monitoring usage is falsely reporting

    When this happens to me, it does negatively affect what I am doing.
    For instance, if I am in Thunderbird when it decides to take up 99%
    CPU, I cannot type in the window. Usually, if it's whoring CPU I can
    click to another window and do something else but since my job is
    heavy on email, it's nice to be able to type a message from start to
    finish without TBIRD freezing every 2 min for 30 secs at a time.

    I've used numerous programs to report CPU usage, most recently Process
    Explorer from Sys Internals.

    I think the other poster is correct about a large profile. Not sure
    exactly how to go about creating another one but that is something I
    will look into.

    I'm also in the process of upgrading the processor to a 2.0Ghz Athlon
    XP, add another 1GB of RAM for 2GB total and replacing an 80GB drive
    with a 250GB Seagate.

    Thanks for the insight thus far!

  6. Re: Thunderbird taking up 99% of CPU seemingly randomly

    mrsteveo wrote:
    > On Aug 17, 12:43 am, Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>> Do you have any extensions working? Try running Thunderbird in safe mode
    >>> to see if it is an extension contributing to the situation.
    >>> If that doesnt provide any assistance try the following test.
    >>> Remove ONE of the accounts from the mail checks and then note if
    >>> Thunderbird does the up and down CPU usage. If it doesnt, then the
    >>> problem is with that account. If it still does, re-enable that account
    >>> and disable another.
    >>> Remeber to disable Newsgroup accounts as well (if you have them)
    >>> Note that Thunderbird will use all of the available CPU especially when
    >>> downloading mail, but this is quite normal. As soon as the mail is
    >>> downloaded, the cpu usage should return to normal.
    >>> If Thunderbird only used 50% of your CPU, it would take twice as long to
    >>> download your mail.

    >> It seems to me that a lot of users are downright anal retentive about
    >> ram and cpu usage. Unless other applications are negatively impacted,
    >> 'micromanaging' the ram and cpu values is a major waste of time. It
    >> might also be that the program monitoring usage is falsely reporting
    >> usage (some are better than others).
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ron Hunter rphun...@charter.net

    > When this happens to me, it does negatively affect what I am doing.
    > For instance, if I am in Thunderbird when it decides to take up 99%
    > CPU, I cannot type in the window. Usually, if it's whoring CPU I can
    > click to another window and do something else but since my job is
    > heavy on email, it's nice to be able to type a message from start to
    > finish without TBIRD freezing every 2 min for 30 secs at a time.
    >
    > I've used numerous programs to report CPU usage, most recently Process
    > Explorer from Sys Internals.
    >
    > I think the other poster is correct about a large profile. Not sure
    > exactly how to go about creating another one but that is something I
    > will look into.
    >
    > I'm also in the process of upgrading the processor to a 2.0Ghz Athlon
    > XP, add another 1GB of RAM for 2GB total and replacing an 80GB drive
    > with a 250GB Seagate.
    >
    > Thanks for the insight thus far!

    I suspect that increasing the ram might help quite a bit, as might a
    faster processor, but do check on that profile. It seems much to big to me.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  7. Re: Thunderbird taking up 99% of CPU seemingly randomly

    On Aug 17, 5:26 pm, Ron Hunter wrote:
    > mrsteveo wrote:
    > >> It seems to me that a lot of users are downright anal retentive about
    > >> ram and cpu usage. Unless other applications are negatively impacted,
    > >> 'micromanaging' the ram and cpu values is a major waste of time. It
    > >> might also be that the program monitoring usage is falsely reporting
    > >> usage (some are better than others).

    > >> --
    > >> Ron Hunter rphun...@charter.net

    > > When this happens to me, it does negatively affect what I am doing.
    > > For instance, if I am in Thunderbird when it decides to take up 99%
    > > CPU, I cannot type in the window. Usually, if it's whoring CPU I can
    > > click to another window and do something else but since my job is
    > > heavy on email, it's nice to be able to type a message from start to
    > > finish without TBIRD freezing every 2 min for 30 secs at a time.

    > > I've used numerous programs to report CPU usage, most recently Process
    > > Explorer from Sys Internals.

    > > I think the other poster is correct about a large profile. Not sure
    > > exactly how to go about creating another one but that is something I
    > > will look into.

    > > I'm also in the process of upgrading the processor to a 2.0Ghz Athlon
    > > XP, add another 1GB of RAM for 2GB total and replacing an 80GB drive
    > > with a 250GB Seagate.

    > > Thanks for the insight thus far!

    > I suspect that increasing the ram might help quite a bit, as might a
    > faster processor, but do check on that profile. It seems much to big to me.
    >
    > --
    > Ron Hunter rphun...@charter.net

    Just so everyone knows...

    I ended up killing that machine which then got replaced with a Dell
    2.21GHZ Dual Core w/ 2GB of RAM. I installed fresh copy of
    Thunderbird. I then just dropped the old 'Thunderbird' directory in
    Application Data onto the new machine.

    Results? It doesn't hog up CPU/memory. It does take a lot of RAM as
    usual, but I don't see the CPU locking up at 99% anymore. I do get
    occassional jerkiness but I think that's related to Thunderbird at
    this point.

    I think it's time to offload/archive my mail and start over honestly.
    I've brought one machine to it's knees and this current one does fine
    but it hiccups here and there but nothing like the old machine.

    Thanks for all the insights.

+ Reply to Thread