spellcheck - Mozilla

This is a discussion on spellcheck - Mozilla ; On the last update (2005....2006) I had to re-install my spellchecks dictionaries. Anybody know where the old ones went? (I would like to at least delete those.)...

  1. spellcheck

    On the last update (2005....2006) I had to re-install
    my spellchecks dictionaries.
    Anybody know where the old ones went?
    (I would like to at least delete those.)

  2. Re: spellcheck

    On 8/14/2007 7:03 PM, Thunderbird leader Sjouke Burry by teletype
    announced:
    > On the last update (2005....2006) I had to re-install
    > my spellchecks dictionaries.
    > Anybody know where the old ones went?
    > (I would like to at least delete those.)

    With Tb 2.0+ there was a change in the dictionaries, only your personal
    dictionary is carried forward. IMBR, but i think they were replaced
    during the upgrade as the location for them is the Tb program files
    folder in a dictionaries sub-folder.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  3. Re: spellcheck

    Ron K. wrote:
    > On 8/14/2007 7:03 PM, Thunderbird leader Sjouke Burry by teletype
    > announced:
    >> On the last update (2005....2006) I had to re-install
    >> my spellchecks dictionaries.
    >> Anybody know where the old ones went?
    >> (I would like to at least delete those.)
    >>

    > With Tb 2.0+ there was a change in the dictionaries, only your personal
    > dictionary is carried forward. IMBR, but i think they were replaced
    > during the upgrade as the location for them is the Tb program files
    > folder in a dictionaries sub-folder.

    Blimey. Was just going to ask about this bug. Does anyone know how these
    things get handled for Portable Thunderbird?

    IMHO, updating procedures should warn about these things *up front*,
    including telling which extensions will go down the drain, before the
    user has to make the decision to update or not.

    BR,
    Gudmund, unpleasantly surprised by the update to TB2

  4. Re: spellcheck

    On 18.08.2007 11:10, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Gudmund
    Areskoug to generate the following:? :
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >
    >> On 8/14/2007 7:03 PM, Thunderbird leader Sjouke Burry by teletype
    >> announced:
    >>
    >>> On the last update (2005....2006) I had to re-install
    >>> my spellchecks dictionaries.
    >>> Anybody know where the old ones went?
    >>> (I would like to at least delete those.)
    >>>

    >> With Tb 2.0+ there was a change in the dictionaries, only your personal
    >> dictionary is carried forward. IMBR, but i think they were replaced
    >> during the upgrade as the location for them is the Tb program files
    >> folder in a dictionaries sub-folder.
    >>

    > Blimey. Was just going to ask about this bug. Does anyone know how these
    > things get handled for Portable Thunderbird?
    >
    > IMHO, updating procedures should warn about these things *up front*,
    > including telling which extensions will go down the drain, before the
    > user has to make the decision to update or not.
    >
    > BR,
    > Gudmund, unpleasantly surprised by the update to TB2

    ask the devs - they *KNOW* what is best for you! :-( :-( :-(

    reg

  5. Re: spellcheck

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 18.08.2007 11:10, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Gudmund
    > Areskoug to generate the following:? :
    >> Ron K. wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 8/14/2007 7:03 PM, Thunderbird leader Sjouke Burry by teletype
    >>> announced:

    >>> With Tb 2.0+ there was a change in the dictionaries, only your personal
    >>> dictionary is carried forward. IMBR, but i think they were replaced
    >>> during the upgrade as the location for them is the Tb program files
    >>> folder in a dictionaries sub-folder.
    >>>

    >> Blimey. Was just going to ask about this bug. Does anyone know how these
    >> things get handled for Portable Thunderbird?
    >>
    >> IMHO, updating procedures should warn about these things *up front*,
    >> including telling which extensions will go down the drain, before the
    >> user has to make the decision to update or not.
    >>
    >> BR,
    >> Gudmund, unpleasantly surprised by the update to TB2
    >>

    > ask the devs - they *KNOW* what is best for you! :-( :-( :-(

    Including simply flushing my Swedish and German spellcheck files, it
    would seem. Can't find them anymore after the update. Double-plus-bad,
    unless it's just my memory playing tricks with where they should be found.

    If the update brought/brings the goodie of using the same system wide
    spellcheck files as all other free and sensible app's I might get the
    point in it, but I've yet to find such info.

    Of so, the next step for me would be to find out how to make that part
    work with my portable apps.

    BR,
    Gudmund, still searching...

  6. Re: spellcheck

    *-* On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 11:10:19 +0200,
    *-* In Article LeSdnUYlxOc7K1vbnZ2dnUVZ_vPinZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* Gudmund Areskoug wrote
    *-* About Re: spellcheck

    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> On 8/14/2007 7:03 PM, Thunderbird leader Sjouke Burry by teletype
    >> announced:
    >>> On the last update (2005....2006) I had to re-install
    >>> my spellchecks dictionaries.
    >>> Anybody know where the old ones went?
    >>> (I would like to at least delete those.)

    >> With Tb 2.0+ there was a change in the dictionaries, only your
    >> personal dictionary is carried forward. IMBR, but i think they were
    >> replaced during the upgrade as the location for them is the Tb
    >> program files folder in a dictionaries sub-folder.

    > Blimey. Was just going to ask about this bug. Does anyone know how
    > these things get handled for Portable Thunderbird?

    IIRC, there are support forums at the Portable Apps site. Since
    your question is specific to the portable version, that would probably
    be the best place to ask.

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  7. Re: spellcheck

    Ken Whiton wrote:
    > *-* On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 11:10:19 +0200,
    > *-* In Article LeSdnUYlxOc7K1vbnZ2dnUVZ_vPinZ2d@mozilla.org,
    > *-* Gudmund Areskoug wrote
    > *-* About Re: spellcheck
    >
    >> Ron K. wrote:
    >>> On 8/14/2007 7:03 PM, Thunderbird leader Sjouke Burry by teletype
    >>> announced:

    >>> With Tb 2.0+ there was a change in the dictionaries, only your
    >>> personal dictionary is carried forward. IMBR, but i think they were
    >>> replaced during the upgrade as the location for them is the Tb
    >>> program files folder in a dictionaries sub-folder.

    >> Blimey. Was just going to ask about this bug. Does anyone know how
    >> these things get handled for Portable Thunderbird?

    Well, K:\Portable\PortableThunderbird\thunderbird\dictio naries happens
    to be where the current update put its dictionaries, so it seems to be
    consistent with the unportable TB.

    So does the \components\myspell location of the old dictionaries.

    Have other people, using TB unportable experienced not finding their old
    dictionaries? It seems so.

    > IIRC, there are support forums at the Portable Apps site. Since
    > your question is specific to the portable version, that would probably
    > be the best place to ask.

    For some of the specifics, yes. AFAIK, it's the same when it comes to
    things like extensions and dictionaries. An option to select dictionary
    paths seems to be missing in portable, and it's *most* probably missing
    in the unportable too. Will check.

    Yup, have checked in a by now updated unportable TB. All the
    dictionaries I had installed are still there, in \components\myspell,
    but none are used, and there's no option to enable them.

    So, how can they be made usable again? Are they incompatible with the
    new TB, or can we simply copy them across from \components\myspell to
    \dictionaries?

    And how can one make TB use the same spell-check/dictionaries as e. g.
    OpenOffice, Firefox etc.?

    BR,
    Gudmund

  8. Re: spellcheck

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 18.08.2007 11:10, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Gudmund
    > Areskoug to generate the following:? :
    >> Ron K. wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 8/14/2007 7:03 PM, Thunderbird leader Sjouke Burry by teletype
    >>> announced:

    >>> With Tb 2.0+ there was a change in the dictionaries, only your personal
    >>> dictionary is carried forward. IMBR, but i think they were replaced
    >>> during the upgrade as the location for them is the Tb program files
    >>> folder in a dictionaries sub-folder.
    >>>

    >> Blimey. Was just going to ask about this bug. Does anyone know how these
    >> things get handled for Portable Thunderbird?
    >>
    >> IMHO, updating procedures should warn about these things *up front*,
    >> including telling which extensions will go down the drain, before the
    >> user has to make the decision to update or not.
    >>
    >> BR,
    >> Gudmund, unpleasantly surprised by the update to TB2
    >>

    > ask the devs - they *KNOW* what is best for you! :-( :-( :-(
    >
    > reg

    BTW, on closer examination now I updated an unportable TB too, I *was*
    told up front about extensions/add-ons that would stop working.

    Problem is, I was only told about one up front, leaving rather a lot of
    others to get surprisingly deactivated only in the end stage of the update.

    BR,
    Gudmund

  9. Re: spellcheck

    Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    > Ken Whiton wrote:
    >> *-* On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 11:10:19 +0200,
    >> *-* In Article LeSdnUYlxOc7K1vbnZ2dnUVZ_vPinZ2d@mozilla.org,
    >> *-* Gudmund Areskoug wrote
    >> *-* About Re: spellcheck

    >>> Blimey. Was just going to ask about this bug. Does anyone know how
    >>> these things get handled for Portable Thunderbird?

    > Well, K:\Portable\PortableThunderbird\thunderbird\dictio naries happens
    > to be where the current update put its dictionaries, so it seems to be
    > consistent with the unportable TB.
    >
    > So does the \components\myspell location of the old dictionaries.
    >
    > Have other people, using TB unportable experienced not finding their old
    > dictionaries? It seems so.
    >
    >> IIRC, there are support forums at the Portable Apps site. Since
    >> your question is specific to the portable version, that would probably
    >> be the best place to ask.

    > For some of the specifics, yes. AFAIK, it's the same when it comes to
    > things like extensions and dictionaries. An option to select dictionary
    > paths seems to be missing in portable, and it's *most* probably missing
    > in the unportable too. Will check.
    >
    > Yup, have checked in a by now updated unportable TB. All the
    > dictionaries I had installed are still there, in \components\myspell,
    > but none are used, and there's no option to enable them.
    >
    > So, how can they be made usable again? Are they incompatible with the
    > new TB, or can we simply copy them across from \components\myspell to
    > \dictionaries?

    For now, I've tried manually copying the spell-checking files across
    from \components\myspell to \dictionaries, and it seems to work.

    Let's see if I run into trouble later on...

    Hints/caveats welcome.

    > And how can one make TB use the same spell-check/dictionaries as e. g.
    > OpenOffice, Firefox etc.?

    Downloading/installing Dictionary Fix,
    http://journal.mozdev.org/dictfix.html let's see what it can do.

    BR,
    Gudmund

  10. Re: spellcheck

    Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    > Gudmund Areskoug wrote:
    >> Ken Whiton wrote:
    >>> *-* On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 11:10:19 +0200,
    >>> *-* In Article LeSdnUYlxOc7K1vbnZ2dnUVZ_vPinZ2d@mozilla.org,
    >>> *-* Gudmund Areskoug wrote
    >>> *-* About Re: spellcheck

    >> Well, K:\Portable\PortableThunderbird\thunderbird\dictio naries happens
    >> to be where the current update put its dictionaries, so it seems to be
    >> consistent with the unportable TB.
    >>
    >> So does the \components\myspell location of the old dictionaries.
    >>
    >> Have other people, using TB unportable experienced not finding their old
    >> dictionaries? It seems so.
    >>
    >>> IIRC, there are support forums at the Portable Apps site. Since
    >>> your question is specific to the portable version, that would probably
    >>> be the best place to ask.

    >> For some of the specifics, yes. AFAIK, it's the same when it comes to
    >> things like extensions and dictionaries. An option to select dictionary
    >> paths seems to be missing in portable, and it's *most* probably missing
    >> in the unportable too. Will check.
    >>
    >> Yup, have checked in a by now updated unportable TB. All the
    >> dictionaries I had installed are still there, in \components\myspell,
    >> but none are used, and there's no option to enable them.
    >>
    >> So, how can they be made usable again? Are they incompatible with the
    >> new TB, or can we simply copy them across from \components\myspell to
    >> \dictionaries?

    > For now, I've tried manually copying the spell-checking files across
    > from \components\myspell to \dictionaries, and it seems to work.
    >
    > Let's see if I run into trouble later on...
    >
    > Hints/caveats welcome.
    >
    >> And how can one make TB use the same spell-check/dictionaries as e. g.
    >> OpenOffice, Firefox etc.?

    > Downloading/installing Dictionary Fix,
    > http://journal.mozdev.org/dictfix.html let's see what it can do.
    >
    > BR,
    > Gudmund

    Update, in case anyone's interested: all the dictfix has done so far,
    was to tell me all's fine.

    BR,
    Gudmund

+ Reply to Thread