blocked site...not by me - Mozilla

This is a discussion on blocked site...not by me - Mozilla ; Since updating to TB 2.0.0.6, I no longer receive e-mail from this address: newsletter@americanpublicmedia.org . I can, however, receive the newsletter through Yahoo! Mail. Thoughts? Suggestions? -- Steve...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: blocked site...not by me

  1. blocked site...not by me

    Since updating to TB 2.0.0.6, I no longer receive e-mail from this
    address: newsletter@americanpublicmedia.org. I can, however, receive
    the newsletter through Yahoo! Mail. Thoughts? Suggestions?

    --
    Steve

  2. Re: blocked site...not by me

    Stephen Fox wrote:
    > Since updating to TB 2.0.0.6, I no longer receive e-mail from this
    > address: newsletter@americanpublicmedia.org. I can, however, receive
    > the newsletter through Yahoo! Mail. Thoughts? Suggestions?
    >


    what occurs when you attempt to mail yourself a message at that address?
    - From that address?

  3. Re: blocked site...not by me

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Stephen Fox wrote:
    >> Since updating to TB 2.0.0.6, I no longer receive e-mail from this
    >> address: newsletter@americanpublicmedia.org. I can, however,
    >> receive the newsletter through Yahoo! Mail. Thoughts? Suggestions?
    >>

    >
    > what occurs when you attempt to mail yourself a message at that
    > address? - From that address?

    Hmm.... Not sure how I e-mail myself from someone else's address. I
    have contacted the source, and they say that they are sending me mail
    from that address. They suggest that my server may be blocking the
    address, but why that would coincide with my TB update I can't say.
    They further suggest that I look at the spam folders at my server, but
    neither .Mac or Suddenlink have such folders.

    --

    *Steve*
    Books
    Genealogy, News & Information
    Cycling Journals


  4. Re: blocked site...not by me

    On 14.08.2007 12:42, Stephen Fox wrote:

    --- Original Message ---

    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Stephen Fox wrote:
    >>> Since updating to TB 2.0.0.6, I no longer receive e-mail from this
    >>> address: newsletter@americanpublicmedia.org. I can, however,
    >>> receive the newsletter through Yahoo! Mail. Thoughts? Suggestions?
    >>>

    >>
    >> what occurs when you attempt to mail yourself a message at that
    >> address? - From that address?

    > Hmm.... Not sure how I e-mail myself from someone else's address. I
    > have contacted the source, and they say that they are sending me mail
    > from that address. They suggest that my server may be blocking the
    > address, but why that would coincide with my TB update I can't say.
    > They further suggest that I look at the spam folders at my server, but
    > neither .Mac or Suddenlink have such folders.
    >


    If you have contact with the newsletter admin, have him/her evaluate the
    return bounced mail sent to you. That should provide a clue.

    --
    Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

  5. Re: blocked site...not by me

    Stephen Fox wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Stephen Fox wrote:
    >>> Since updating to TB 2.0.0.6, I no longer receive e-mail from this
    >>> address: newsletter@americanpublicmedia.org. I can, however,
    >>> receive the newsletter through Yahoo! Mail. Thoughts? Suggestions?
    >>>

    >> what occurs when you attempt to mail yourself a message at that
    >> address? - From that address?

    > Hmm.... Not sure how I e-mail myself from someone else's address. I
    > have contacted the source, and they say that they are sending me mail
    > from that address. They suggest that my server may be blocking the
    > address, but why that would coincide with my TB update I can't say.
    > They further suggest that I look at the spam folders at my server, but
    > neither .Mac or Suddenlink have such folders.
    >


    when they mean server, they're talking about your email
    provider. Follow the suggestion provided by Jay.

    --
    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup
    only. And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All
    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  6. Re: blocked site...not by me

    Stephen Fox wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Stephen Fox wrote:
    >>> Since updating to TB 2.0.0.6, I no longer receive e-mail from this
    >>> address: newsletter@americanpublicmedia.org. I can, however,
    >>> receive the newsletter through Yahoo! Mail. Thoughts? Suggestions?
    >>>

    >>
    >> what occurs when you attempt to mail yourself a message at that
    >> address? - From that address?

    > Hmm.... Not sure how I e-mail myself from someone else's address. I
    > have contacted the source, and they say that they are sending me mail
    > from that address. They suggest that my server may be blocking the
    > address, but why that would coincide with my TB update I can't say.
    > They further suggest that I look at the spam folders at my server, but
    > neither .Mac or Suddenlink have such folders.
    >


    You mail that address from another email address of yours
    this checks the receiving capabilities of the address
    You mail that address from that same address
    this checks the sending capabilities of address (and most likely the
    receiving as well)

    *some isps route internal mail differently so it may be somewhat
    different than when sent from an external mail address

    Note any error messages received

    i.e. mail that address from your yahoo address and then try to mail that
    address from that address itself.

  7. Re: blocked site...not by me

    Jay Garcia wrote:
    > On 14.08.2007 12:42, Stephen Fox wrote:
    >
    > --- Original Message ---
    >
    >
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>
    >>> Stephen Fox wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Since updating to TB 2.0.0.6, I no longer receive e-mail from this
    >>>> address: newsletter@americanpublicmedia.org. I can, however,
    >>>> receive the newsletter through Yahoo! Mail. Thoughts? Suggestions?
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> what occurs when you attempt to mail yourself a message at that
    >>> address? - From that address?
    >>>

    >> Hmm.... Not sure how I e-mail myself from someone else's address. I
    >> have contacted the source, and they say that they are sending me mail
    >> from that address. They suggest that my server may be blocking the
    >> address, but why that would coincide with my TB update I can't say.
    >> They further suggest that I look at the spam folders at my server, but
    >> neither .Mac or Suddenlink have such folders.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > If you have contact with the newsletter admin, have him/her evaluate the
    > return bounced mail sent to you. That should provide a clue.
    >
    >

    They said it was not bounced back to them.

    --
    Steve

  8. Re: blocked site...not by me

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Stephen Fox wrote:
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>> Stephen Fox wrote:
    >>>> Since updating to TB 2.0.0.6, I no longer receive e-mail from this
    >>>> address: newsletter@americanpublicmedia.org. I can, however,
    >>>> receive the newsletter through Yahoo! Mail. Thoughts? Suggestions?
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> what occurs when you attempt to mail yourself a message at that
    >>> address? - From that address?

    >> Hmm.... Not sure how I e-mail myself from someone else's address.
    >> I have contacted the source, and they say that they are sending me
    >> mail from that address. They suggest that my server may be blocking
    >> the address, but why that would coincide with my TB update I can't
    >> say. They further suggest that I look at the spam folders at my
    >> server, but neither .Mac or Suddenlink have such folders.
    >>

    >
    > You mail that address from another email address of yours
    > this checks the receiving capabilities of the address
    > You mail that address from that same address
    > this checks the sending capabilities of address (and most likely the
    > receiving as well)
    >
    > *some isps route internal mail differently so it may be somewhat
    > different than when sent from an external mail address
    >
    > Note any error messages received
    >
    > i.e. mail that address from your yahoo address and then try to mail
    > that address from that address itself.

    You lost me on the third line of your most recent reply. Probably makes
    sense to you, but not me.

    --
    Steve

  9. Re: blocked site...not by me

    Something like that happened with newsletters I had been receiving for
    years but my issue started with Windows Mail. That's why I switched to
    Thunderbird.

    I did find out though after about two or three months searching for why
    I was no longer receiving the newsletters. My ISP had instituted a new
    spam software. I happened to look at one of the headers more closely of
    an email I received and found the name of the software company, wrote to
    them and they directed me to my service provider.

    I don't know what .Mac or Suddenlink are, maybe they are connected to
    your ISP.

    Hope you can find out soon what's happening with your email. I know for
    me it was an aggravation until I found out what was happening!

    Kay

    Stephen Fox wrote:
    > Jay Garcia wrote:
    >> On 14.08.2007 12:42, Stephen Fox wrote:
    >>
    >> --- Original Message ---
    >>
    >>
    >>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Stephen Fox wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Since updating to TB 2.0.0.6, I no longer receive e-mail from this
    >>>>> address: newsletter@americanpublicmedia.org. I can, however,
    >>>>> receive the newsletter through Yahoo! Mail. Thoughts? Suggestions?
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>> what occurs when you attempt to mail yourself a message at that
    >>>> address? - From that address?
    >>>>
    >>> Hmm.... Not sure how I e-mail myself from someone else's address.
    >>> I have contacted the source, and they say that they are sending me
    >>> mail from that address. They suggest that my server may be blocking
    >>> the address, but why that would coincide with my TB update I can't
    >>> say. They further suggest that I look at the spam folders at my
    >>> server, but neither .Mac or Suddenlink have such folders.
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >> If you have contact with the newsletter admin, have him/her evaluate the
    >> return bounced mail sent to you. That should provide a clue.
    >>
    >>

    > They said it was not bounced back to them.
    >


  10. Re: blocked site...not by me

    Stephen Fox wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Stephen Fox wrote:
    >>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>>> Stephen Fox wrote:
    >>>>> Since updating to TB 2.0.0.6, I no longer receive e-mail from this
    >>>>> address: newsletter@americanpublicmedia.org. I can, however,
    >>>>> receive the newsletter through Yahoo! Mail. Thoughts? Suggestions?
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> what occurs when you attempt to mail yourself a message at that
    >>>> address? - From that address?
    >>> Hmm.... Not sure how I e-mail myself from someone else's address.
    >>> I have contacted the source, and they say that they are sending me
    >>> mail from that address. They suggest that my server may be blocking
    >>> the address, but why that would coincide with my TB update I can't
    >>> say. They further suggest that I look at the spam folders at my
    >>> server, but neither .Mac or Suddenlink have such folders.
    >>>

    >>
    >> You mail that address from another email address of yours
    >> this checks the receiving capabilities of the address
    >> You mail that address from that same address
    >> this checks the sending capabilities of address (and most likely the
    >> receiving as well)
    >>
    >> *some isps route internal mail differently so it may be somewhat
    >> different than when sent from an external mail address
    >>
    >> Note any error messages received
    >>
    >> i.e. mail that address from your yahoo address and then try to mail
    >> that address from that address itself.

    > You lost me on the third line of your most recent reply. Probably makes
    > sense to you, but not me.
    >


    You have several mail addresses right?

    Well try mailing the one you are worried about from one of your other ones.
    THEN, try mailing the one you are worried about from itself.

  11. Re: blocked site...not by me

    On Aug 15, 10:51 am, Stephen Fox wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > > Stephen Fox wrote:
    > >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > >>> Stephen Fox wrote:
    > >>>> Since updating to TB 2.0.0.6, I no longer receive e-mail from this
    > >>>> address: newslet...@americanpublicmedia.org. I can, however,
    > >>>> receive the newsletter through Yahoo! Mail. Thoughts? Suggestions?

    >
    > >>> what occurs when you attempt to mail yourself a message at that
    > >>> address? - From that address?
    > >> Hmm.... Not sure how I e-mail myself from someone else's address.
    > >> I have contacted the source, and they say that they are sending me
    > >> mail from that address. They suggest that my server may be blocking
    > >> the address, but why that would coincide with my TB update I can't
    > >> say. They further suggest that I look at the spam folders at my
    > >> server, but neither .Mac or Suddenlink have such folders.

    >
    > > You mail that address from another email address of yours
    > > this checks the receiving capabilities of the address
    > > You mail that address from that same address
    > > this checks the sending capabilities of address (and most likely the
    > > receiving as well)

    >
    > > *some isps route internal mail differently so it may be somewhat
    > > different than when sent from an external mail address

    >
    > > Note any error messages received

    >
    > > i.e. mail that address from your yahoo address and then try to mail
    > > that address from that address itself.

    >
    > You lost me on the third line of your most recent reply. Probably makes
    > sense to you, but not me.
    >
    > --
    > Steve


    Unless I am mistaken, Stephen, you're saying that a third party, using
    some particular address (newslet...@americanpublicmedia.org) is
    sending you mail, but around the time you upgraded to Tb 2.0.0.6 you
    stopped receiving them, whereas before you received them no problem.
    You say you can receive them via your Yahoo account (I assume when
    using the Web Mail / browser based Yahoo! interface).

    I assume by your mentioning about looking for spam folders on your
    Suddenlink web mail page that there is absolutely no folder in your
    web mail account named spam, junk, etc? I also assume that you are
    referring to not being able to receive this newsletter through your
    Suddenlink account, which you are using Tb to download?

    I believe what Dan meant was for you to try to sign up for the
    newsletter using a different email account, to see if you can receive
    the newsletter through another account (and I think he means one that
    you actually download through Tb as well). If that works, then you
    should try emailing back to the newsletter from the account that
    works. A good one to try is GMail, as you can use POP to get your
    mail just like your ISPs account, without installing any extra
    extensions.

    However, not being sure what version of Thunderbird you are using, but
    guessing the Mac version, another way you could eliminate whether it
    is Thunderbird causing the problem or not would be to use the Webmail
    extension (http://webmail.mozdev.org/index.html) to get your Yahoo
    mail through Thunderbird - if Tb is filtering that domain as junk, and
    if you set up the Yahoo account to use your global junk mail rules,
    then it too will filter out those message from that newsletter as
    well, proving then that it is something that Tb is doing. On my Tb
    there is a Junk mail folder under local folders, which is located
    under all the accounts I have in Tb (at the bottom).

    Granted, I have not used a Mac version of Tb as I don't own a Mac, but
    I would hope that the interface would be pretty similar, so that
    multiple, OS specific help files would to have to be written....

    HTH


  12. Re: blocked site...not by me

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Stephen Fox wrote:
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>> Stephen Fox wrote:
    >>>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>>>> Stephen Fox wrote:
    >>>>>> Since updating to TB 2.0.0.6, I no longer receive e-mail from
    >>>>>> this address: newsletter@americanpublicmedia.org. I can,
    >>>>>> however, receive the newsletter through Yahoo! Mail. Thoughts?
    >>>>>> Suggestions?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> what occurs when you attempt to mail yourself a message at that
    >>>>> address? - From that address?
    >>>> Hmm.... Not sure how I e-mail myself from someone else's
    >>>> address. I have contacted the source, and they say that they are
    >>>> sending me mail from that address. They suggest that my server may
    >>>> be blocking the address, but why that would coincide with my TB
    >>>> update I can't say. They further suggest that I look at the spam
    >>>> folders at my server, but neither .Mac or Suddenlink have such
    >>>> folders.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> You mail that address from another email address of yours
    >>> this checks the receiving capabilities of the address
    >>> You mail that address from that same address
    >>> this checks the sending capabilities of address (and most likely the
    >>> receiving as well)
    >>>
    >>> *some isps route internal mail differently so it may be somewhat
    >>> different than when sent from an external mail address
    >>>
    >>> Note any error messages received
    >>>
    >>> i.e. mail that address from your yahoo address and then try to mail
    >>> that address from that address itself.

    >> You lost me on the third line of your most recent reply. Probably
    >> makes sense to you, but not me.
    >>

    >
    > You have several mail addresses right?
    >
    > Well try mailing the one you are worried about from one of your other
    > ones.
    > THEN, try mailing the one you are worried about from itself.

    But I can't mail from the source that isn't arriving. It's:
    newsletter@americanpublicmedia.org. I can't see how mailing myself from
    one of MY addresses resolves the problem. Guess I'm dumber than I thought.

    --
    Steve

  13. Re: blocked site...not by me

    Stephen Fox wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Stephen Fox wrote:
    >>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>>> Stephen Fox wrote:
    >>>>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>>>>> Stephen Fox wrote:
    >>>>>>> Since updating to TB 2.0.0.6, I no longer receive e-mail from
    >>>>>>> this address: newsletter@americanpublicmedia.org. I can,
    >>>>>>> however, receive the newsletter through Yahoo! Mail. Thoughts?
    >>>>>>> Suggestions?
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>> what occurs when you attempt to mail yourself a message at that
    >>>>>> address? - From that address?
    >>>>> Hmm.... Not sure how I e-mail myself from someone else's
    >>>>> address. I have contacted the source, and they say that they are
    >>>>> sending me mail from that address. They suggest that my server may
    >>>>> be blocking the address, but why that would coincide with my TB
    >>>>> update I can't say. They further suggest that I look at the spam
    >>>>> folders at my server, but neither .Mac or Suddenlink have such
    >>>>> folders.
    >>>>>
    >>>> You mail that address from another email address of yours
    >>>> this checks the receiving capabilities of the address
    >>>> You mail that address from that same address
    >>>> this checks the sending capabilities of address (and most likely the
    >>>> receiving as well)
    >>>>
    >>>> *some isps route internal mail differently so it may be somewhat
    >>>> different than when sent from an external mail address
    >>>>
    >>>> Note any error messages received
    >>>>
    >>>> i.e. mail that address from your yahoo address and then try to mail
    >>>> that address from that address itself.
    >>> You lost me on the third line of your most recent reply. Probably
    >>> makes sense to you, but not me.
    >>>

    >> You have several mail addresses right?
    >>
    >> Well try mailing the one you are worried about from one of your other
    >> ones.
    >> THEN, try mailing the one you are worried about from itself.

    > But I can't mail from the source that isn't arriving. It's:
    > newsletter@americanpublicmedia.org. I can't see how mailing myself from
    > one of MY addresses resolves the problem. Guess I'm dumber than I thought.
    >


    what Dan is say is to send a message from one of your good
    accounts to your problem account. Does the message bounce?
    If so, then report the results here. If not, then let us know.

    From my understanding is you can receive the newsletter at
    your yahoo account, and its there when you login using a
    browser. But, when you download the message into TB, its
    not there. Am I correct on this assumption. If so, then
    check your message filters [under Tools]. Maybe you have it
    going somewhere else. Also, check your junk folders.
    Perhaps its going there.

    --
    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup
    only. And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All
    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  14. Re: blocked site...not by me

    Stephen Fox wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Stephen Fox wrote:
    >>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>>> Stephen Fox wrote:
    >>>>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>>>>> Stephen Fox wrote:
    >>>>>>> Since updating to TB 2.0.0.6, I no longer receive e-mail from
    >>>>>>> this address: newsletter@americanpublicmedia.org. I can,
    >>>>>>> however, receive the newsletter through Yahoo! Mail. Thoughts?
    >>>>>>> Suggestions?
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> what occurs when you attempt to mail yourself a message at that
    >>>>>> address? - From that address?
    >>>>> Hmm.... Not sure how I e-mail myself from someone else's
    >>>>> address. I have contacted the source, and they say that they are
    >>>>> sending me mail from that address. They suggest that my server may
    >>>>> be blocking the address, but why that would coincide with my TB
    >>>>> update I can't say. They further suggest that I look at the spam
    >>>>> folders at my server, but neither .Mac or Suddenlink have such
    >>>>> folders.
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> You mail that address from another email address of yours
    >>>> this checks the receiving capabilities of the address
    >>>> You mail that address from that same address
    >>>> this checks the sending capabilities of address (and most likely the
    >>>> receiving as well)
    >>>>
    >>>> *some isps route internal mail differently so it may be somewhat
    >>>> different than when sent from an external mail address
    >>>>
    >>>> Note any error messages received
    >>>>
    >>>> i.e. mail that address from your yahoo address and then try to mail
    >>>> that address from that address itself.
    >>> You lost me on the third line of your most recent reply. Probably
    >>> makes sense to you, but not me.
    >>>

    >>
    >> You have several mail addresses right?
    >>
    >> Well try mailing the one you are worried about from one of your other
    >> ones.
    >> THEN, try mailing the one you are worried about from itself.

    > But I can't mail from the source that isn't arriving. It's:
    > newsletter@americanpublicmedia.org. I can't see how mailing myself from
    > one of MY addresses resolves the problem. Guess I'm dumber than I thought.
    >

    Have you asked your ISP if they are blocking it for some reason?

  15. Re: blocked site...not by me

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Stephen Fox wrote:
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>> Stephen Fox wrote:
    >>>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>>>> Stephen Fox wrote:
    >>>>>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>>>>>> Stephen Fox wrote:
    >>>>>>>> Since updating to TB 2.0.0.6, I no longer receive e-mail from
    >>>>>>>> this address: newsletter@americanpublicmedia.org. I can,
    >>>>>>>> however, receive the newsletter through Yahoo! Mail.
    >>>>>>>> Thoughts? Suggestions?
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> what occurs when you attempt to mail yourself a message at that
    >>>>>>> address? - From that address?
    >>>>>> Hmm.... Not sure how I e-mail myself from someone else's
    >>>>>> address. I have contacted the source, and they say that they
    >>>>>> are sending me mail from that address. They suggest that my
    >>>>>> server may be blocking the address, but why that would coincide
    >>>>>> with my TB update I can't say. They further suggest that I look
    >>>>>> at the spam folders at my server, but neither .Mac or Suddenlink
    >>>>>> have such folders.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>> You mail that address from another email address of yours
    >>>>> this checks the receiving capabilities of the address
    >>>>> You mail that address from that same address
    >>>>> this checks the sending capabilities of address (and most likely
    >>>>> the receiving as well)
    >>>>>
    >>>>> *some isps route internal mail differently so it may be somewhat
    >>>>> different than when sent from an external mail address
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Note any error messages received
    >>>>>
    >>>>> i.e. mail that address from your yahoo address and then try to
    >>>>> mail that address from that address itself.
    >>>> You lost me on the third line of your most recent reply. Probably
    >>>> makes sense to you, but not me.
    >>>>
    >>> You have several mail addresses right?
    >>>
    >>> Well try mailing the one you are worried about from one of your
    >>> other ones.
    >>> THEN, try mailing the one you are worried about from itself.

    >> But I can't mail from the source that isn't arriving. It's:
    >> newsletter@americanpublicmedia.org. I can't see how mailing myself
    >> from one of MY addresses resolves the problem. Guess I'm dumber than
    >> I thought.
    >>

    >
    > what Dan is say is to send a message from one of your good accounts to
    > your problem account. Does the message bounce? If so, then report the
    > results here. If not, then let us know.
    >
    > From my understanding is you can receive the newsletter at your yahoo
    > account, and its there when you login using a browser. But, when you
    > download the message into TB, its not there. Am I correct on this
    > assumption. If so, then check your message filters [under Tools].
    > Maybe you have it going somewhere else. Also, check your junk
    > folders. Perhaps its going there.
    >

    Suddenlink is not the culprit. The newsletter arrives there OK. That
    leave either my .Mac account, which is my mail server, or TB.

    --
    Steve

  16. Re: blocked site...not by me

    Fred W. > wrote:
    > Stephen Fox wrote:
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>> Stephen Fox wrote:
    >>>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>>>> Stephen Fox wrote:
    >>>>>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>>>>>> Stephen Fox wrote:
    >>>>>>>> Since updating to TB 2.0.0.6, I no longer receive e-mail from
    >>>>>>>> this address: newsletter@americanpublicmedia.org. I can,
    >>>>>>>> however, receive the newsletter through Yahoo! Mail.
    >>>>>>>> Thoughts? Suggestions?
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> what occurs when you attempt to mail yourself a message at that
    >>>>>>> address? - From that address?
    >>>>>> Hmm.... Not sure how I e-mail myself from someone else's
    >>>>>> address. I have contacted the source, and they say that they
    >>>>>> are sending me mail from that address. They suggest that my
    >>>>>> server may be blocking the address, but why that would coincide
    >>>>>> with my TB update I can't say. They further suggest that I look
    >>>>>> at the spam folders at my server, but neither .Mac or Suddenlink
    >>>>>> have such folders.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> You mail that address from another email address of yours
    >>>>> this checks the receiving capabilities of the address
    >>>>> You mail that address from that same address
    >>>>> this checks the sending capabilities of address (and most likely
    >>>>> the receiving as well)
    >>>>>
    >>>>> *some isps route internal mail differently so it may be somewhat
    >>>>> different than when sent from an external mail address
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Note any error messages received
    >>>>>
    >>>>> i.e. mail that address from your yahoo address and then try to
    >>>>> mail that address from that address itself.
    >>>> You lost me on the third line of your most recent reply. Probably
    >>>> makes sense to you, but not me.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> You have several mail addresses right?
    >>>
    >>> Well try mailing the one you are worried about from one of your
    >>> other ones.
    >>> THEN, try mailing the one you are worried about from itself.

    >> But I can't mail from the source that isn't arriving. It's:
    >> newsletter@americanpublicmedia.org. I can't see how mailing myself
    >> from one of MY addresses resolves the problem. Guess I'm dumber than
    >> I thought.
    >>

    > Have you asked your ISP if they are blocking it for some reason?

    I will try to find a way to ask Apple, but you know they make it nearly
    impossible to ask anything.

    --
    Steve

  17. Re: blocked site...not by me

    johnlgalt wrote:
    >> Steve
    >>

    >
    > Unless I am mistaken, Stephen, you're saying that a third party, using
    > some particular address (newslet...@americanpublicmedia.org) is
    > sending you mail, but around the time you upgraded to Tb 2.0.0.6 you
    > stopped receiving them, whereas before you received them no problem.
    > You say you can receive them via your Yahoo account (I assume when
    > using the Web Mail / browser based Yahoo! interface).
    >

    Yes.
    > I assume by your mentioning about looking for spam folders on your
    > Suddenlink web mail page that there is absolutely no folder in your
    > web mail account named spam, junk, etc? I also assume that you are
    > referring to not being able to receive this newsletter through your
    > Suddenlink account, which you are using Tb to download?
    >

    Suddenlink webmail works. No need for TB to read mail there.
    > I believe what Dan meant was for you to try to sign up for the
    > newsletter using a different email account, to see if you can receive
    > the newsletter through another account (and I think he means one that
    > you actually download through Tb as well). If that works, then you
    > should try emailing back to the newsletter from the account that
    > works. A good one to try is GMail, as you can use POP to get your
    > mail just like your ISPs account, without installing any extra
    > extensions.
    >

    I will try this.
    > However, not being sure what version of Thunderbird you are using, but
    > guessing the Mac version, another way you could eliminate whether it
    > is Thunderbird causing the problem or not would be to use the Webmail
    > extension (http://webmail.mozdev.org/index.html) to get your Yahoo
    > mail through Thunderbird - if Tb is filtering that domain as junk, and
    > if you set up the Yahoo account to use your global junk mail rules,
    > then it too will filter out those message from that newsletter as
    > well, proving then that it is something that Tb is doing. On my Tb
    > there is a Junk mail folder under local folders, which is located
    > under all the accounts I have in Tb (at the bottom).
    >

    I will try this as well. My suspicion is that it's Apple that is doing
    the filtering, but my messages to them have gone unanswered. No
    surprise there.

    BTW, this problem, is platform neutral. The newsletter is filtered out
    of my Windows machine as well.
    > Granted, I have not used a Mac version of Tb as I don't own a Mac, but
    > I would hope that the interface would be pretty similar, so that
    > multiple, OS specific help files would to have to be written....
    >
    > HTH
    >

    Thanks for the suggestions.


    --

    *Steve*
    Books
    Genealogy, News & Information
    Cycling Journals


  18. Re: blocked site...not by me

    johnlgalt wrote:
    > Unless I am mistaken, Stephen, you're saying that a third party, using
    > some particular address (newslet...@americanpublicmedia.org) is
    > sending you mail, but around the time you upgraded to Tb 2.0.0.6 you
    > stopped receiving them, whereas before you received them no problem.
    > You say you can receive them via your Yahoo account (I assume when
    > using the Web Mail / browser based Yahoo! interface).
    >
    > I assume by your mentioning about looking for spam folders on your
    > Suddenlink web mail page that there is absolutely no folder in your
    > web mail account named spam, junk, etc? I also assume that you are
    > referring to not being able to receive this newsletter through your
    > Suddenlink account, which you are using Tb to download?
    >
    > I believe what Dan meant was for you to try to sign up for the
    > newsletter using a different email account, to see if you can receive
    > the newsletter through another account (and I think he means one that
    > you actually download through Tb as well). If that works, then you
    > should try emailing back to the newsletter from the account that
    > works. A good one to try is GMail, as you can use POP to get your
    > mail just like your ISPs account, without installing any extra
    > extensions.
    >
    > However, not being sure what version of Thunderbird you are using, but
    > guessing the Mac version, another way you could eliminate whether it
    > is Thunderbird causing the problem or not would be to use the Webmail
    > extension (http://webmail.mozdev.org/index.html) to get your Yahoo
    > mail through Thunderbird - if Tb is filtering that domain as junk, and
    > if you set up the Yahoo account to use your global junk mail rules,
    > then it too will filter out those message from that newsletter as
    > well, proving then that it is something that Tb is doing. On my Tb
    > there is a Junk mail folder under local folders, which is located
    > under all the accounts I have in Tb (at the bottom).
    >

    This webmail.mozdev site is for FF, not TB. I tried to download from
    the link you gave, but it says it's not compatible with FF. So, how do
    I install this stuff in TB?
    > Granted, I have not used a Mac version of Tb as I don't own a Mac, but
    > I would hope that the interface would be pretty similar, so that
    > multiple, OS specific help files would to have to be written....
    >
    > HTH
    >
    >



    --

    *Steve*
    Books
    Genealogy, News & Information
    Cycling Journals


  19. Re: blocked site...not by me

    Stephen Fox wrote:
    > johnlgalt wrote:
    >> Unless I am mistaken, Stephen, you're saying that a third party, using
    >> some particular address (newslet...@americanpublicmedia.org) is
    >> sending you mail, but around the time you upgraded to Tb 2.0.0.6 you
    >> stopped receiving them, whereas before you received them no problem.
    >> You say you can receive them via your Yahoo account (I assume when
    >> using the Web Mail / browser based Yahoo! interface).
    >>
    >> I assume by your mentioning about looking for spam folders on your
    >> Suddenlink web mail page that there is absolutely no folder in your
    >> web mail account named spam, junk, etc? I also assume that you are
    >> referring to not being able to receive this newsletter through your
    >> Suddenlink account, which you are using Tb to download?
    >>
    >> I believe what Dan meant was for you to try to sign up for the
    >> newsletter using a different email account, to see if you can receive
    >> the newsletter through another account (and I think he means one that
    >> you actually download through Tb as well). If that works, then you
    >> should try emailing back to the newsletter from the account that
    >> works. A good one to try is GMail, as you can use POP to get your
    >> mail just like your ISPs account, without installing any extra
    >> extensions.
    >>
    >> However, not being sure what version of Thunderbird you are using, but
    >> guessing the Mac version, another way you could eliminate whether it
    >> is Thunderbird causing the problem or not would be to use the Webmail
    >> extension (http://webmail.mozdev.org/index.html) to get your Yahoo
    >> mail through Thunderbird - if Tb is filtering that domain as junk, and
    >> if you set up the Yahoo account to use your global junk mail rules,
    >> then it too will filter out those message from that newsletter as
    >> well, proving then that it is something that Tb is doing. On my Tb
    >> there is a Junk mail folder under local folders, which is located
    >> under all the accounts I have in Tb (at the bottom).
    >>

    > This webmail.mozdev site is for FF, not TB. I tried to download from
    > the link you gave, but it says it's not compatible with FF. So, how do
    > I install this stuff in TB?


    When you click on the link you're trying to install it into
    FF. Of course its not for FF. You have to right click on
    the link and select Save Target As, save it to your hard
    drive, then from TB, click on Tools, Addons, Extensions,
    click on the Install button, and find the xpi file.

    --
    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup
    only. And only click on the Reply button, not the Reply All
    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    Peter Potamus & His Magic Flying Balloon:
    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  20. Re: blocked site...not by me

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Stephen Fox wrote:
    >> johnlgalt wrote:
    >>> Unless I am mistaken, Stephen, you're saying that a third party, using
    >>> some particular address (newslet...@americanpublicmedia.org) is
    >>> sending you mail, but around the time you upgraded to Tb 2.0.0.6 you
    >>> stopped receiving them, whereas before you received them no problem.
    >>> You say you can receive them via your Yahoo account (I assume when
    >>> using the Web Mail / browser based Yahoo! interface).
    >>>
    >>> I assume by your mentioning about looking for spam folders on your
    >>> Suddenlink web mail page that there is absolutely no folder in your
    >>> web mail account named spam, junk, etc? I also assume that you are
    >>> referring to not being able to receive this newsletter through your
    >>> Suddenlink account, which you are using Tb to download?
    >>>
    >>> I believe what Dan meant was for you to try to sign up for the
    >>> newsletter using a different email account, to see if you can receive
    >>> the newsletter through another account (and I think he means one that
    >>> you actually download through Tb as well). If that works, then you
    >>> should try emailing back to the newsletter from the account that
    >>> works. A good one to try is GMail, as you can use POP to get your
    >>> mail just like your ISPs account, without installing any extra
    >>> extensions.
    >>>
    >>> However, not being sure what version of Thunderbird you are using, but
    >>> guessing the Mac version, another way you could eliminate whether it
    >>> is Thunderbird causing the problem or not would be to use the Webmail
    >>> extension (http://webmail.mozdev.org/index.html) to get your Yahoo
    >>> mail through Thunderbird - if Tb is filtering that domain as junk, and
    >>> if you set up the Yahoo account to use your global junk mail rules,
    >>> then it too will filter out those message from that newsletter as
    >>> well, proving then that it is something that Tb is doing. On my Tb
    >>> there is a Junk mail folder under local folders, which is located
    >>> under all the accounts I have in Tb (at the bottom).
    >>>

    >> This webmail.mozdev site is for FF, not TB. I tried to download from
    >> the link you gave, but it says it's not compatible with FF. So, how
    >> do I install this stuff in TB?

    >
    > When you click on the link you're trying to install it into FF. Of
    > course its not for FF. You have to right click on the link and select
    > Save Target As, save it to your hard drive, then from TB, click on
    > Tools, Addons, Extensions, click on the Install button, and find the
    > xpi file.
    >

    Yep. Figured it out. Problem was, I was on my Mac with no right
    click. Also, the latest Mac OS no longer allows you to click/hold and
    select options such as "Save as." You have to drag the item to the
    desktop. Thanks for hanging in there with me.

    --

    *Steve*
    Books
    Genealogy, News & Information
    Cycling Journals


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast