blocked site...not by me - Mozilla

This is a discussion on blocked site...not by me - Mozilla ; Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote: > Stephen Fox wrote: >> johnlgalt wrote: >>> Unless I am mistaken, Stephen, you're saying that a third party, using >>> some particular address (newslet...@americanpublicmedia.org) is >>> sending you mail, but around the time ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 30 of 30

  1. Re: blocked site...not by me

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Stephen Fox wrote:
    >> johnlgalt wrote:
    >>> Unless I am mistaken, Stephen, you're saying that a third party, using
    >>> some particular address (newslet...@americanpublicmedia.org) is
    >>> sending you mail, but around the time you upgraded to Tb 2.0.0.6 you
    >>> stopped receiving them, whereas before you received them no problem.
    >>> You say you can receive them via your Yahoo account (I assume when
    >>> using the Web Mail / browser based Yahoo! interface).
    >>>
    >>> I assume by your mentioning about looking for spam folders on your
    >>> Suddenlink web mail page that there is absolutely no folder in your
    >>> web mail account named spam, junk, etc? I also assume that you are
    >>> referring to not being able to receive this newsletter through your
    >>> Suddenlink account, which you are using Tb to download?
    >>>
    >>> I believe what Dan meant was for you to try to sign up for the
    >>> newsletter using a different email account, to see if you can receive
    >>> the newsletter through another account (and I think he means one that
    >>> you actually download through Tb as well). If that works, then you
    >>> should try emailing back to the newsletter from the account that
    >>> works. A good one to try is GMail, as you can use POP to get your
    >>> mail just like your ISPs account, without installing any extra
    >>> extensions.
    >>>
    >>> However, not being sure what version of Thunderbird you are using, but
    >>> guessing the Mac version, another way you could eliminate whether it
    >>> is Thunderbird causing the problem or not would be to use the Webmail
    >>> extension (http://webmail.mozdev.org/index.html) to get your Yahoo
    >>> mail through Thunderbird - if Tb is filtering that domain as junk, and
    >>> if you set up the Yahoo account to use your global junk mail rules,
    >>> then it too will filter out those message from that newsletter as
    >>> well, proving then that it is something that Tb is doing. On my Tb
    >>> there is a Junk mail folder under local folders, which is located
    >>> under all the accounts I have in Tb (at the bottom).
    >>>

    >> This webmail.mozdev site is for FF, not TB. I tried to download from
    >> the link you gave, but it says it's not compatible with FF. So, how
    >> do I install this stuff in TB?

    > When you click on the link you're trying to install it into FF. Of
    > course its not for FF. You have to right click on the link and select
    > Save Target As, save it to your hard drive, then from TB, click on
    > Tools, Addons, Extensions, click on the Install button, and find the
    > xpi file.

    Well, it doesn't work on my Mac. Says the webmail xtension isn't
    valid. It's a png file, not an xpi. No clue now.

    --

    *Steve*
    Books

  2. Re: blocked site...not by me

    *-* On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 14:35:19 -0700,
    *-* In Article hO6dnQXnwOOF-1rbnZ2dnUVZ_umlnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* Stephen Fox wrote
    *-* About Re: blocked site...not by me

    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    [ ... ]

    >> When you click on the link you're trying to install it into FF. Of
    >> course its not for FF. You have to right click on the link and
    >> select Save Target As, save it to your hard drive, then from TB,
    >> click on Tools, Addons, Extensions, click on the Install button,
    >> and find the xpi file.

    > Well, it doesn't work on my Mac. Says the webmail xtension isn't
    > valid. It's a png file, not an xpi. No clue now.

    A .png is an image file. I suspect that what you downloaded is a
    copy of the "Install" icon, not the extension itself. I saw your
    prior post about no right click and no click/hold, and I'm not
    familiar with Macs, so I can't offer any other suggestions as to how
    to grab extensions. :-(

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  3. Re: blocked site...not by me

    On 8/18/07 3:35 PM, Stephen Fox wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Stephen Fox wrote:

    >>> This webmail.mozdev site is for FF, not TB. I tried to download
    >>> from the link you gave, but it says it's not compatible with FF.
    >>> So, how do I install this stuff in TB?

    >> When you click on the link you're trying to install it into FF. Of
    >> course its not for FF. You have to right click on the link and
    >> select Save Target As, save it to your hard drive, then from TB,
    >> click on Tools, Addons, Extensions, click on the Install button, and
    >> find the xpi file.
    >>

    > Well, it doesn't work on my Mac. Says the webmail xtension isn't
    > valid. It's a png file, not an xpi. No clue now.

    Go to http://webmail.mozdev.org/installation.html
    ctr/click on Web-Mail-1.2.3
    . A menu will
    appear
    Click on "Save Link As" if you are using Firebird,"Download Link target"
    if you are using Camino,"Download Linked File" if you are using Safari,
    "Save to Download Folder" if you are using Opera.
    Install as per instructions on page
    Download and install the other components you want.

    --
    Larry I. Gusaas
    Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan

    Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

  4. Re: blocked site...not by me

    johnlgalt wrote:
    > On Aug 15, 10:51 am, Stephen Fox wrote:
    >
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    >>> You mail that address from another email address of yours
    >>> this checks the receiving capabilities of the address
    >>> You mail that address from that same address
    >>> this checks the sending capabilities of address (and most likely the
    >>> receiving as well)
    >>>
    >>> *some isps route internal mail differently so it may be somewhat
    >>> different than when sent from an external mail address
    >>>
    >>> Note any error messages received
    >>>
    >>> i.e. mail that address from your yahoo address and then try to mail
    >>> that address from that address itself.
    >>>

    >> You lost me on the third line of your most recent reply. Probably makes
    >> sense to you, but not me.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Steve
    >>

    > Unless I am mistaken, Stephen, you're saying that a third party, using
    > some particular address (newslet...@americanpublicmedia.org) is
    > sending you mail, but around the time you upgraded to Tb 2.0.0.6 you
    > stopped receiving them, whereas before you received them no problem.
    > You say you can receive them via your Yahoo account (I assume when
    > using the Web Mail / browser based Yahoo! interface).
    >
    > I assume by your mentioning about looking for spam folders on your
    > Suddenlink web mail page that there is absolutely no folder in your
    > web mail account named spam, junk, etc? I also assume that you are
    > referring to not being able to receive this newsletter through your
    > Suddenlink account, which you are using Tb to download?
    >
    > I believe what Dan meant was for you to try to sign up for the
    > newsletter using a different email account, to see if you can receive
    > the newsletter through another account (and I think he means one that
    > you actually download through Tb as well). If that works, then you
    > should try emailing back to the newsletter from the account that
    > works. A good one to try is GMail, as you can use POP to get your
    > mail just like your ISPs account, without installing any extra
    > extensions.
    >
    > However, not being sure what version of Thunderbird you are using, but
    > guessing the Mac version, another way you could eliminate whether it
    > is Thunderbird causing the problem or not would be to use the Webmail
    > extension (http://webmail.mozdev.org/index.html) to get your Yahoo
    > mail through Thunderbird - if Tb is filtering that domain as junk, and
    > if you set up the Yahoo account to use your global junk mail rules,
    > then it too will filter out those message from that newsletter as
    > well, proving then that it is something that Tb is doing. On my Tb
    > there is a Junk mail folder under local folders, which is located
    > under all the accounts I have in Tb (at the bottom).

    OK! I downloaded the two extentions (Webmail and Yahoo), but how do I
    get a Yahoo account to show up? When I click on the Yahoo extension, it
    says there's no account. Need to know where I go to do this. Thanks!

    --
    Steve

  5. Re: blocked site...not by me

    Stephen Fox wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Stephen Fox wrote:

    >>> This webmail.mozdev site is for FF, not TB. I tried to download from
    >>> the link you gave, but it says it's not compatible with FF. So, how
    >>> do I install this stuff in TB?

    >> When you click on the link you're trying to install it into FF. Of
    >> course its not for FF. You have to right click on the link and select
    >> Save Target As, save it to your hard drive, then from TB, click on
    >> Tools, Addons, Extensions, click on the Install button, and find the
    >> xpi file.
    >>

    > Yep. Figured it out. Problem was, I was on my Mac with no right
    > click. Also, the latest Mac OS no longer allows you to click/hold and
    > select options such as "Save as." You have to drag the item to the
    > desktop. Thanks for hanging in there with me.

    the first problem you can either get a two /three button mouse I have
    a logitech two button with mouse wheel.

    the second problem you need to go to Finder Preferences and adjust the
    spring loaded Folders and windows delay and move all the way to the
    right. Might give you time enough.

    Also go into System Preferences, control panels and keyboard and mouse
    and go to short cuts and turn all of them on.

  6. Re: blocked site...not by me

    Stephen Fox wrote:
    > johnlgalt wrote:

    >>> You lost me on the third line of your most recent reply. Probably makes
    >>> sense to you, but not me.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Steve
    >>>

    >> Unless I am mistaken, Stephen, you're saying that a third party, using
    >> some particular address (newslet...@americanpublicmedia.org) is
    >> sending you mail, but around the time you upgraded to Tb 2.0.0.6 you
    >> stopped receiving them, whereas before you received them no problem.
    >> You say you can receive them via your Yahoo account (I assume when
    >> using the Web Mail / browser based Yahoo! interface).
    >>
    >> I assume by your mentioning about looking for spam folders on your
    >> Suddenlink web mail page that there is absolutely no folder in your
    >> web mail account named spam, junk, etc? I also assume that you are
    >> referring to not being able to receive this newsletter through your
    >> Suddenlink account, which you are using Tb to download?
    >>
    >> I believe what Dan meant was for you to try to sign up for the
    >> newsletter using a different email account, to see if you can receive
    >> the newsletter through another account (and I think he means one that
    >> you actually download through Tb as well). If that works, then you
    >> should try emailing back to the newsletter from the account that
    >> works. A good one to try is GMail, as you can use POP to get your
    >> mail just like your ISPs account, without installing any extra
    >> extensions.
    >>
    >> However, not being sure what version of Thunderbird you are using, but
    >> guessing the Mac version, another way you could eliminate whether it
    >> is Thunderbird causing the problem or not would be to use the Webmail
    >> extension (http://webmail.mozdev.org/index.html) to get your Yahoo
    >> mail through Thunderbird - if Tb is filtering that domain as junk, and
    >> if you set up the Yahoo account to use your global junk mail rules,
    >> then it too will filter out those message from that newsletter as
    >> well, proving then that it is something that Tb is doing. On my Tb
    >> there is a Junk mail folder under local folders, which is located
    >> under all the accounts I have in Tb (at the bottom).
    >>

    > OK! I downloaded the two extentions (Webmail and Yahoo), but how do I
    > get a Yahoo account to show up? When I click on the Yahoo extension, it
    > says there's no account. Need to know where I go to do this. Thanks!
    >> Granted, I have not used a Mac version of Tb as I don't own a Mac, but
    >> I would hope that the interface would be pretty similar, so that
    >> multiple, OS specific help files would to have to be written....
    >>
    >> HTH

    From Tbird go to Tools menu then addons. Then switch to extensions
    click on install and locate the xpi file you just downloaded. it will
    install and ask to restart or tell you it will restart thunderbird. From
    now on if you need to update just choose the update button and Tbird
    will do it automatically.

  7. Re: blocked site...not by me

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > Stephen Fox wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> When you click on the link you're trying to install it into FF. Of
    >>> course its not for FF. You have to right click on the link and
    >>> select Save Target As, save it to your hard drive, then from TB,
    >>> click on Tools, Addons, Extensions, click on the Install button, and
    >>> find the xpi file.
    >>>

    >> Yep. Figured it out. Problem was, I was on my Mac with no right
    >> click. Also, the latest Mac OS no longer allows you to click/hold
    >> and select options such as "Save as." You have to drag the item to
    >> the desktop. Thanks for hanging in there with me.
    >>

    > the first problem you can either get a two /three button mouse I
    > have a logitech two button with mouse wheel.
    >
    > the second problem you need to go to Finder Preferences and adjust the
    > spring loaded Folders and windows delay and move all the way to the
    > right. Might give you time enough.
    >
    > Also go into System Preferences, control panels and keyboard and mouse
    > and go to short cuts and turn all of them on.

    Phil,

    These new settings made no difference. Guess I need the newer mouse.

    Steve

    --

    *Steve*
    Books
    Genealogy, News & Information
    Cycling Journals

  8. Re: blocked site...not by me

    Larry Gusaas wrote:
    > On 8/18/07 3:35 PM, Stephen Fox wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> When you click on the link you're trying to install it into FF. Of
    >>> course its not for FF. You have to right click on the link and
    >>> select Save Target As, save it to your hard drive, then from TB,
    >>> click on Tools, Addons, Extensions, click on the Install button, and
    >>> find the xpi file.
    >>>

    >> Well, it doesn't work on my Mac. Says the webmail xtension isn't
    >> valid. It's a png file, not an xpi. No clue now.

    > Go to http://webmail.mozdev.org/installation.html
    > ctr/click on Web-Mail-1.2.3
    > . A menu will
    > appear
    > Click on "Save Link As" if you are using Firebird,"Download Link
    > target" if you are using Camino,"Download Linked File" if you are
    > using Safari, "Save to Download Folder" if you are using Opera.
    > Install as per instructions on page
    > Download and install the other components you want.

    Thanks! I was able to download the files and install. Set up a Yahoo!
    Webmail account, but the ext. says it can't detect any account.

    Steve

    --

    *Steve*
    Books
    Genealogy, News & Information
    Cycling Journals

  9. Re: blocked site...not by me

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > Stephen Fox wrote:
    >> johnlgalt wrote:

    >>> Unless I am mistaken, Stephen, you're saying that a third party, using
    >>> some particular address (newslet...@americanpublicmedia.org) is
    >>> sending you mail, but around the time you upgraded to Tb 2.0.0.6 you
    >>> stopped receiving them, whereas before you received them no problem.
    >>> You say you can receive them via your Yahoo account (I assume when
    >>> using the Web Mail / browser based Yahoo! interface).
    >>>
    >>> I assume by your mentioning about looking for spam folders on your
    >>> Suddenlink web mail page that there is absolutely no folder in your
    >>> web mail account named spam, junk, etc? I also assume that you are
    >>> referring to not being able to receive this newsletter through your
    >>> Suddenlink account, which you are using Tb to download?
    >>>
    >>> I believe what Dan meant was for you to try to sign up for the
    >>> newsletter using a different email account, to see if you can receive
    >>> the newsletter through another account (and I think he means one that
    >>> you actually download through Tb as well). If that works, then you
    >>> should try emailing back to the newsletter from the account that
    >>> works. A good one to try is GMail, as you can use POP to get your
    >>> mail just like your ISPs account, without installing any extra
    >>> extensions.
    >>>
    >>> However, not being sure what version of Thunderbird you are using, but
    >>> guessing the Mac version, another way you could eliminate whether it
    >>> is Thunderbird causing the problem or not would be to use the Webmail
    >>> extension (http://webmail.mozdev.org/index.html) to get your Yahoo
    >>> mail through Thunderbird - if Tb is filtering that domain as junk, and
    >>> if you set up the Yahoo account to use your global junk mail rules,
    >>> then it too will filter out those message from that newsletter as
    >>> well, proving then that it is something that Tb is doing. On my Tb
    >>> there is a Junk mail folder under local folders, which is located
    >>> under all the accounts I have in Tb (at the bottom).
    >>>

    >> OK! I downloaded the two extentions (Webmail and Yahoo), but how do
    >> I get a Yahoo account to show up? When I click on the Yahoo
    >> extension, it says there's no account. Need to know where I go to do
    >> this. Thanks!
    >>> Granted, I have not used a Mac version of Tb as I don't own a Mac, but
    >>> I would hope that the interface would be pretty similar, so that
    >>> multiple, OS specific help files would to have to be written....
    >>>
    >>> HTH
    >>>

    > From Tbird go to Tools menu then addons. Then switch to extensions
    > click on install and locate the xpi file you just downloaded. it will
    > install and ask to restart or tell you it will restart thunderbird.
    > From now on if you need to update just choose the update button and
    > Tbird will do it automatically.

    Thanks! I was able to do all that, but I can't seem to get Yahoo!
    Webmail to appear on TB. Set up an account, but the ext. says it can't
    detect it. Naturally, as I'm new to this, I may not have entered the
    correct settings. Any guidance there?

    Steve

    --

    *Steve*
    Books
    Genealogy, News & Information
    Cycling Journals

  10. Re: blocked site...not by me

    Stephen Fox wrote:
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >> Stephen Fox wrote:

    >>> Yep. Figured it out. Problem was, I was on my Mac with no right
    >>> click. Also, the latest Mac OS no longer allows you to click/hold
    >>> and select options such as "Save as." You have to drag the item to
    >>> the desktop. Thanks for hanging in there with me.
    >>>

    >> the first problem you can either get a two /three button mouse I
    >> have a logitech two button with mouse wheel.
    >>
    >> the second problem you need to go to Finder Preferences and adjust the
    >> spring loaded Folders and windows delay and move all the way to the
    >> right. Might give you time enough.
    >>
    >> Also go into System Preferences, control panels and keyboard and mouse
    >> and go to short cuts and turn all of them on.
    >>

    > Phil,
    >
    > These new settings made no difference. Guess I need the newer mouse.
    >
    > Steve

    If you have a one mouse to get the contextual (right click) menu hold
    down control key just before clicking mouse.

    also the spring load feature works as long as you hold button down the
    delays for a few seconds before dismissing. But this only works if you
    hold down for for a second or so it doesn't work if you just click and
    release instantly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2