migration problems with thunderbird - Mozilla

This is a discussion on migration problems with thunderbird - Mozilla ; I'm trying to migrate my thunderbird file to a new machine. Import is impossible, cause it doesn't give me the choice to import from thunderbird. So I started reconfirugring the new Thunderbird file, which keeps asking for passwords with a ...

  1. migration problems with thunderbird

    I'm trying to migrate my thunderbird file to a new machine. Import is
    impossible, cause it doesn't give me the choice to import from
    thunderbird.
    So I started reconfirugring the new Thunderbird file, which keeps
    asking for passwords with a wrong ID, I am not able to correct. Where
    does it store its parameters ? I already uninstalled/reinstalled
    without any effect.
    Thanks in advance for your help !

  2. Re: migration problems with thunderbird

    camille.bdh@freesurf.ch wrote:
    > I'm trying to migrate my thunderbird file to a new machine. Import is
    > impossible, cause it doesn't give me the choice to import from
    > thunderbird.

    You can import profile folder in your new computer and start using it .

    You can do it in this way :
    In your old computer look for your Thunderbird profile folder
    ["http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird"]

    Copy this profile folder in a suitable location in new computer.
    In new computer , Open Thunderbird profile manager
    ["http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager"]

    Create a new profile but select folder location to copied profile folder .
    Start with new profile .

  3. Re: migration problems with thunderbird

    On 12 août, 14:05, Nir wrote:
    > camille....@freesurf.ch wrote:
    > > I'm trying to migrate my thunderbird file to a new machine. Import is
    > > impossible, cause it doesn't give me the choice to import from
    > > thunderbird.

    > You can import profile folder in your new computer and start using it .
    >
    > You can do it in this way :
    > In your old computer look for your Thunderbird profile folder
    > ["http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird"]
    >
    > Copy this profile folder in a suitable location in new computer.
    > In new computer , Open Thunderbird profile manager
    > ["http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager"]
    >
    > Create a new profile but select folder location to copied profile folder .
    > Start with new profile .

    Thanks a lot. I succeeded spotting the Profile file and created a new
    one.I managed to import some (not all !) of my mails and above all the
    address book.But it still doesn't want to accept my passwords.
    sigh.....

  4. Re: migration problems with thunderbird

    camille.bdh@freesurf.ch wrote:

    > Thanks a lot. I succeeded spotting the Profile file and created a new
    > one.I managed to import some (not all !) of my mails and above all the
    > address book.But it still doesn't want to accept my passwords.
    > sigh.....

    password of mail account or master password ?

    --
    "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Master_password"

  5. Re: migration problems with thunderbird

    I'm having a problem that's maybe similar. I just reinstalled
    Thunderbird and have my old profile backed up. I attempted to migrate
    it by changing profiles.ini but none of my emails are showing up in
    the inbox. The profile folder itself has a hefty 60MB mail folder
    that looks like it should contain all my old messages, but they're not
    coming up in Thunderbird.

  6. Re: migration problems with thunderbird

    skratchzero@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm having a problem that's maybe similar. I just reinstalled
    > Thunderbird and have my old profile backed up. I attempted to migrate
    > it by changing profiles.ini but none of my emails are showing up in
    > the inbox. The profile folder itself has a hefty 60MB mail folder
    > that looks like it should contain all my old messages, but they're not
    > coming up in Thunderbird.

    I don't know specifically about TB, but usually mail storage involves
    both the file that holds the actual emails, plus another file that
    provides an index to the email. So maybe you need to copy over that
    index file also.

    P.S. Does anybody see any irony in this thread's Subject line?

  7. Re: migration problems with thunderbird

    skratchzero@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm having a problem that's maybe similar. I just reinstalled
    > Thunderbird and have my old profile backed up. I attempted to
    > migrate it by changing profiles.ini but none of my emails are showing
    > up in the inbox. The profile folder itself has a hefty 60MB mail
    > folder that looks like it should contain all my old messages, but
    > they're not coming up in Thunderbird.

    Do you mean that all email accounts are visible in folder pane in
    Thunderbird window but mails within Inbox is not visible ?

  8. Re: migration problems with thunderbird

    On Aug 19, 4:25 pm, Nir wrote:

    > Do you mean that all email accounts are visible in folder pane in
    > Thunderbird window but mails within Inbox is not visible ?

    It actually seemed as if editing the .ini had no effect; I loaded up
    Thunderbird and it asked me to fill in account information like
    address and name etc. I have used a backed up profile in the past
    with no problem, but this time it didn't seem to work. This time none
    of my accounts were visible or anything.

  9. Re: migration problems with thunderbird

    On Aug 19, 4:25 pm, Nir wrote:

    > Do you mean that all email accounts are visible in folder pane in
    > Thunderbird window but mails within Inbox is not visible ?

    It actually seemed as if editing the .ini had no effect; I loaded up
    Thunderbird and it asked me to fill in account information like
    address and name etc. I have used a backed up profile in the past
    with no problem, but this time it didn't seem to work. This time none
    of my accounts were visible or anything.

  10. Re: migration problems with thunderbird

    On 8/19/2007 10:53 PM skratchzero@gmail.com inquired:

    > On Aug 19, 4:25 pm, Nir wrote:
    >>
    >> Do you mean that all email accounts are visible in folder pane in
    >> Thunderbird window but mails within Inbox is not visible ?

    > It actually seemed as if editing the .ini had no effect; I loaded up
    > Thunderbird and it asked me to fill in account information like
    > address and name etc. I have used a backed up profile in the past
    > with no problem, but this time it didn't seem to work. This time none
    > of my accounts were visible or anything.

    so you said a half hour ago.

    what are you referring to about editing the .ini file?
    how does that have anything to do with the thread?

  11. Re: migration problems with thunderbird

    skratchzero@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Aug 19, 4:25 pm, Nir wrote:
    >>
    >> Do you mean that all email accounts are visible in folder pane in
    >> Thunderbird window but mails within Inbox is not visible ?

    > It actually seemed as if editing the .ini had no effect; I loaded up
    > Thunderbird and it asked me to fill in account information like

    Sounds like Thunderbird is not understanding profile folder location.

    > address and name etc. I have used a backed up profile in the past
    > with no problem, but this time it didn't seem to work. This time
    > none of my accounts were visible or anything.

    I like to advice you to edit profiles.ini file according to this method
    "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Moving_your_profile_folder#Modify_profiles.ini_to_ point_to_the_new_location_.28Advanced.29"

    BTW , another easiest method to move profile folder is :
    Close Thunderbird if its running .
    Copy profile folder to the required location .
    Goto start > run , type

    "thunderbird.exe" -P

    It will open profile manager window , create a new profile and select
    profile folder location to the copied profile folder .

    Start Thunderbird with new profile .

+ Reply to Thread