Defunct names in Address Book - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Defunct names in Address Book - Mozilla ; When I type a few letters in the "To" box in TB, names pop up....old names and addresses that I'd like to delete. But scanning the Address Book, I can't find them. Where is the 'acquired' list, and how can ...

  1. Defunct names in Address Book

    When I type a few letters in the "To" box in TB,
    names pop up....old names and addresses that I'd like to
    delete. But scanning the Address Book, I can't find them.
    Where is the 'acquired' list, and how can I delete addresses
    that I can't find?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Defunct names in Address Book

    On 8/3/2007 12:03 PM, Thunderbird leader William B. Lurie by teletype
    announced:
    > When I type a few letters in the "To" box in TB,
    > names pop up....old names and addresses that I'd like to
    > delete. But scanning the Address Book, I can't find them.
    > Where is the 'acquired' list, and how can I delete addresses
    > that I can't find?

    Answered you in your post to Fx group.
    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  3. Re: Defunct names in Address Book

    Ron K. wrote:
    > On 8/3/2007 12:03 PM, Thunderbird leader William B. Lurie by teletype
    > announced:
    >> When I type a few letters in the "To" box in TB,
    >> names pop up....old names and addresses that I'd like to
    >> delete. But scanning the Address Book, I can't find them.
    >> Where is the 'acquired' list, and how can I delete addresses
    >> that I can't find?
    >>

    > Answered you in your post to Fx group.

    Ron, I'm dropping the thread in FF NG; you're right....
    I should follow it here in TB NG. So here goes:

    >> The data your seeing is coming from your abook.mab

    which is the personal address book file.

    Unfortunatly when the addressbook manager deletes
    entries not all the data purges out of the file.
    It tends to leave traces of nuts.
    This is a bug that can be filed at Bugzilla.
    I have looked at the content of mine with a
    text editor and also seen data that did not purge.

    > Thank you, Ron. I found the .mab file but my address book
    > is ~500K and I don't know a way to sort it, edit it, and
    > resave it.

    I wish there was a way to look at a 500K-size abook file to
    see the offending items, and then delete them. Is there a way?

    I read the Bugzilla suggestion, but searching there is such
    a horrendous task, I just give up, because I hate to post
    it again if it's already there. TB is great, but it's hard
    to get a simple-sounding problem looked at. Or even to know
    if anybody is aware of it.

  4. Re: Defunct names in Address Book

    On 8/3/2007 3:29 PM, Thunderbird leader William B. Lurie by teletype
    announced:
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >
    >> On 8/3/2007 12:03 PM, Thunderbird leader William B. Lurie by teletype
    >> announced:
    >>
    >>> When I type a few letters in the "To" box in TB,
    >>> names pop up....old names and addresses that I'd like to
    >>> delete. But scanning the Address Book, I can't find them.
    >>> Where is the 'acquired' list, and how can I delete addresses
    >>> that I can't find?
    >>>

    >> Answered you in your post to Fx group.
    >>

    > Ron, I'm dropping the thread in FF NG; you're right....
    > I should follow it here in TB NG. So here goes:
    >

    >>> The data your seeing is coming from your abook.mab
    >>>

    > which is the personal address book file.
    >
    > Unfortunatly when the addressbook manager deletes
    > entries not all the data purges out of the file.
    > It tends to leave traces of nuts.
    > This is a bug that can be filed at Bugzilla.
    > I have looked at the content of mine with a
    > text editor and also seen data that did not purge.
    >
    >> Thank you, Ron. I found the .mab file but my address book
    >> is ~500K and I don't know a way to sort it, edit it, and
    >> resave it.
    >>

    > I wish there was a way to look at a 500K-size abook file to
    > see the offending items, and then delete them. Is there a way?
    >
    > I read the Bugzilla suggestion, but searching there is such
    > a horrendous task, I just give up, because I hate to post
    > it again if it's already there. TB is great, but it's hard
    > to get a simple-sounding problem looked at. Or even to know
    > if anybody is aware of it.

    I have an account and am willing to file the bug. Later I will post back
    to this thread so you can add your vote. I know who the Abook dev is and
    am willing to share my small abook.mab with him to illustrate the
    corruption.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  5. Re: Defunct names in Address Book

    Ron K. wrote:
    > On 8/3/2007 3:29 PM, Thunderbird leader William B. Lurie by teletype
    > announced:
    >> Ron K. wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 8/3/2007 12:03 PM, Thunderbird leader William B. Lurie by teletype
    >>> announced:

    >>> Answered you in your post to Fx group.
    >>>

    >> Ron, I'm dropping the thread in FF NG; you're right....
    >> I should follow it here in TB NG. So here goes:

    >> which is the personal address book file.
    >>
    >> Unfortunatly when the addressbook manager deletes
    >> entries not all the data purges out of the file.
    >> It tends to leave traces of nuts.
    >> This is a bug that can be filed at Bugzilla.
    >> I have looked at the content of mine with a
    >> text editor and also seen data that did not purge.
    >>
    >>> Thank you, Ron. I found the .mab file but my address book
    >>> is ~500K and I don't know a way to sort it, edit it, and
    >>> resave it.
    >>>

    >> I wish there was a way to look at a 500K-size abook file to
    >> see the offending items, and then delete them. Is there a way?
    >>
    >> I read the Bugzilla suggestion, but searching there is such
    >> a horrendous task, I just give up, because I hate to post
    >> it again if it's already there. TB is great, but it's hard
    >> to get a simple-sounding problem looked at. Or even to know
    >> if anybody is aware of it.
    >>

    > I have an account and am willing to file the bug. Later I will post back
    > to this thread so you can add your vote. I know who the Abook dev is and
    > am willing to share my small abook.mab with him to illustrate the
    > corruption.

    Thanks, Ron. I'll keep watching here. I have an account there
    but even sorting on abook didn't seem to narrow me down to any
    reasonable size.

+ Reply to Thread