Downloads from NG - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Downloads from NG - Mozilla ; Using latest TB...I have everything set in all newsgroups and email to check and automatically download messages every x minutes, but when I click on a newsgroup I still have to manually get new messages. Any idea how to get ...

  1. Downloads from NG

    Using latest TB...I have everything set in all newsgroups and email to
    check and automatically download messages every x minutes, but when I
    click on a newsgroup I still have to manually get new messages. Any idea
    how to get this working

    Thanks
    Bill

  2. Re: Downloads from NG

    On 8/3/2007 11:58 AM, Thunderbird leader Bill by teletype announced:
    > Using latest TB...I have everything set in all newsgroups and email to
    > check and automatically download messages every x minutes, but when I
    > click on a newsgroup I still have to manually get new messages. Any idea
    > how to get this working
    >
    > Thanks
    > Bill

    That is proper behavior. With news, the regular polling only get a
    count of new from the server. It is only when you select a group that
    the headers are fetched.
    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  3. Re: Downloads from NG

    Ron K. wrote:
    > On 8/3/2007 11:58 AM, Thunderbird leader Bill by teletype announced:
    >> Using latest TB...I have everything set in all newsgroups and email to
    >> check and automatically download messages every x minutes, but when I
    >> click on a newsgroup I still have to manually get new messages. Any
    >> idea how to get this working
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> Bill
    >>

    > That is proper behavior. With news, the regular polling only get a
    > count of new from the server. It is only when you select a group that
    > the headers are fetched.

    Yes thats what I should have said...when I 'select' a group it does not
    download the new headers, I have to manually click on the "get new"
    button on the tool bar. Hope I explained that better

    Thanks

  4. Re: Downloads from NG

    On 8/3/2007 12:44 PM, Thunderbird leader Bill by teletype announced:
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >
    >> On 8/3/2007 11:58 AM, Thunderbird leader Bill by teletype announced:
    >>
    >>> Using latest TB...I have everything set in all newsgroups and email to
    >>> check and automatically download messages every x minutes, but when I
    >>> click on a newsgroup I still have to manually get new messages. Any
    >>> idea how to get this working
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Bill
    >>>

    >> That is proper behavior. With news, the regular polling only get a
    >> count of new from the server. It is only when you select a group that
    >> the headers are fetched.
    >>

    > Yes thats what I should have said...when I 'select' a group it does not
    > download the new headers, I have to manually click on the "get new"
    > button on the tool bar. Hope I explained that better
    >
    > Thanks

    Ouch. You do have a local problem. It is a possible extensions
    conflict. If you do not have a Console icon on tool bar go to Tools
    menu and select the Javascript Console item. This is actually a general
    purpose error console that can list both JS and Style errors. Your most
    interested in the error level of messages.

    A common trouble shooting method is to start Tb from the Windows Start
    Programs Thunderbird and using the No Extensions option. This is the
    testing "Safe" mode that excludes extensions and custom themes from
    running. If this clears up the issue the fix is finding th add-in doing
    the damage.

    the last resort is to generate an new profile for testing with just one
    problem causing news account. If that works then expand to a second.
    etc. The final step is migration of your personal data from the old
    profile to the new.

    So start at the top. If the last step is needed there is help to guide you.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  5. Re: Downloads from NG

    Ron K. wrote:
    > On 8/3/2007 12:44 PM, Thunderbird leader Bill by teletype announced:
    >> Ron K. wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 8/3/2007 11:58 AM, Thunderbird leader Bill by teletype announced:

    >>> That is proper behavior. With news, the regular polling only get a
    >>> count of new from the server. It is only when you select a group
    >>> that the headers are fetched.
    >>>

    >> Yes thats what I should have said...when I 'select' a group it does
    >> not download the new headers, I have to manually click on the "get
    >> new" button on the tool bar. Hope I explained that better
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Ouch. You do have a local problem. It is a possible extensions
    > conflict. If you do not have a Console icon on tool bar go to Tools
    > menu and select the Javascript Console item. This is actually a general
    > purpose error console that can list both JS and Style errors. Your most
    > interested in the error level of messages.
    >
    > A common trouble shooting method is to start Tb from the Windows Start
    > Programs Thunderbird and using the No Extensions option. This is the
    > testing "Safe" mode that excludes extensions and custom themes from
    > running. If this clears up the issue the fix is finding th add-in doing
    > the damage.
    >
    > the last resort is to generate an new profile for testing with just one
    > problem causing news account. If that works then expand to a second.
    > etc. The final step is migration of your personal data from the old
    > profile to the new.
    >
    > So start at the top. If the last step is needed there is help to guide
    > you.

    Nothing showed up error wise in the console...actually mine says error
    console not Java but I suppose its the same thing.

    I did the start up without extensions etc and still no luck. I only have
    one extension and one theme..

    I will try the new profile method when I have more time. The problem is
    with all newsgroup servers but if this will isolate it I will give it a
    go. For what its worth I have three NG servers..my ISP Bellsouth,
    Microsoft and Mozilla

    Thanks for all the time and help

    Bill

  6. Re: Downloads from NG

    On 8/3/2007 1:39 PM, Thunderbird leader Bill by teletype announced:
    > Ron K. wrote:

    >>> Yes thats what I should have said...when I 'select' a group it does
    >>> not download the new headers, I have to manually click on the "get
    >>> new" button on the tool bar. Hope I explained that better
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> Ouch. You do have a local problem. It is a possible extensions
    >> conflict. If you do not have a Console icon on tool bar go to Tools
    >> menu and select the Javascript Console item. This is actually a general
    >> purpose error console that can list both JS and Style errors. Your most
    >> interested in the error level of messages.
    >>
    >> A common trouble shooting method is to start Tb from the Windows Start
    >> Programs Thunderbird and using the No Extensions option. This is the
    >> testing "Safe" mode that excludes extensions and custom themes from
    >> running. If this clears up the issue the fix is finding th add-in doing
    >> the damage.
    >>
    >> the last resort is to generate an new profile for testing with just one
    >> problem causing news account. If that works then expand to a second.
    >> etc. The final step is migration of your personal data from the old
    >> profile to the new.
    >>
    >> So start at the top. If the last step is needed there is help to guide
    >> you.
    >>

    > Nothing showed up error wise in the console...actually mine says error
    > console not Java but I suppose its the same thing.

    Yes it's the same, renamed in Tb 2.

    > I did the start up without extensions etc and still no luck. I only have
    > one extension and one theme..
    >
    > I will try the new profile method when I have more time. The problem is
    > with all newsgroup servers but if this will isolate it I will give it a
    > go. For what its worth I have three NG servers..my ISP Bellsouth,
    > Microsoft and Mozilla
    >
    > Thanks for all the time and help
    >
    > Bill

    I have 6 news server accounts. The only other configuration review I
    can suggest is through the accounts manager to verify server names and
    port number assignments as well as the authentication requirements of
    the server operators. Just yesterday I had to work with my ISP to
    resolve a news access issue that popped up due to a DNS update.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  7. Re: Downloads from NG

    "Ron K." wrote in message
    news:esadnXfskuh25S7bnZ2dnUVZ_tajnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > On 8/3/2007 1:39 PM, Thunderbird leader Bill by teletype announced:
    >> Ron K. wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 8/3/2007 12:44 PM, Thunderbird leader Bill by teletype announced:

    >>> Ouch. You do have a local problem. It is a possible extensions
    >>> conflict. If you do not have a Console icon on tool bar go to Tools
    >>> menu and select the Javascript Console item. This is actually a general
    >>> purpose error console that can list both JS and Style errors. Your most
    >>> interested in the error level of messages.
    >>>
    >>> A common trouble shooting method is to start Tb from the Windows Start
    >>> Programs Thunderbird and using the No Extensions option. This is the
    >>> testing "Safe" mode that excludes extensions and custom themes from
    >>> running. If this clears up the issue the fix is finding th add-in doing
    >>> the damage.
    >>>
    >>> the last resort is to generate an new profile for testing with just one
    >>> problem causing news account. If that works then expand to a second.
    >>> etc. The final step is migration of your personal data from the old
    >>> profile to the new.
    >>>
    >>> So start at the top. If the last step is needed there is help to guide
    >>> you.
    >>>

    >> Nothing showed up error wise in the console...actually mine says error
    >> console not Java but I suppose its the same thing.
    >>

    > Yes it's the same, renamed in Tb 2.
    >
    >> I did the start up without extensions etc and still no luck. I only have
    >> one extension and one theme..
    >>
    >> I will try the new profile method when I have more time. The problem is
    >> with all newsgroup servers but if this will isolate it I will give it a
    >> go. For what its worth I have three NG servers..my ISP Bellsouth,
    >> Microsoft and Mozilla
    >>
    >> Thanks for all the time and help
    >>
    >> Bill
    >>

    > I have 6 news server accounts. The only other configuration review I can
    > suggest is through the accounts manager to verify server names and port
    > number assignments as well as the authentication requirements of the
    > server operators. Just yesterday I had to work with my ISP to resolve a
    > news access issue that popped up due to a DNS update.
    >
    > --
    > Ron K.
    > Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

    Thanks Ron I will keep trying...

    Bill

+ Reply to Thread