Newsgroup setup NEED HELP - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Newsgroup setup NEED HELP - Mozilla ; I am trying to connect to my bellsouth account at newsgroups.bellsouth.net. It requires a login, but I cannot find the setting in TB to put in my username and password. I thought in the past it just popped up a ...

  1. Newsgroup setup NEED HELP

    I am trying to connect to my bellsouth account at
    newsgroups.bellsouth.net. It requires a login, but I cannot find the
    setting in TB to put in my username and password. I thought in the past
    it just popped up a dialog box. I had this working before. The "Always
    request authentication when connecting to this server" setting does
    nothing. I recreated the account, and there is nowhere to check where
    this server requires username and password. I deleted passwords in the
    hope that TB would ask me for them. I must be missing something. Thank
    you.

  2. Re: Newsgroup setup NEED HELP

    javajeff wrote:
    > I am trying to connect to my bellsouth account at
    > newsgroups.bellsouth.net. It requires a login, but I cannot find the
    > setting in TB to put in my username and password. I thought in the past
    > it just popped up a dialog box. I had this working before. The "Always
    > request authentication when connecting to this server" setting does
    > nothing. I recreated the account, and there is nowhere to check where
    > this server requires username and password. I deleted passwords in the
    > hope that TB would ask me for them. I must be missing something. Thank
    > you.

    enter the server info. When you've done that, click OK to
    the Account Settings screen, then go to File, Subscribe, and
    at this point, you should get a popup asking for the password.

    Request authentication may not be needed.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: Newsgroup setup NEED HELP

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > javajeff wrote:
    >> I am trying to connect to my bellsouth account at
    >> newsgroups.bellsouth.net. It requires a login, but I cannot find the
    >> setting in TB to put in my username and password. I thought in the
    >> past it just popped up a dialog box. I had this working before. The
    >> "Always request authentication when connecting to this server" setting
    >> does nothing. I recreated the account, and there is nowhere to check
    >> where this server requires username and password. I deleted passwords
    >> in the hope that TB would ask me for them. I must be missing
    >> something. Thank you.

    > enter the server info. When you've done that, click OK to the Account
    > Settings screen, then go to File, Subscribe, and at this point, you
    > should get a popup asking for the password.
    >
    > Request authentication may not be needed.

    Well, that is what I thought. I am not getting the dialog box, which
    means I may have to keep recreating and deleting passwords until that
    pops up. Thanks!

  4. Re: Newsgroup setup NEED HELP

    javajeff wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> javajeff wrote:
    >>> I am trying to connect to my bellsouth account at
    >>> newsgroups.bellsouth.net. It requires a login, but I cannot find the
    >>> setting in TB to put in my username and password. I thought in the
    >>> past it just popped up a dialog box. I had this working before. The
    >>> "Always request authentication when connecting to this server" setting
    >>> does nothing. I recreated the account, and there is nowhere to check
    >>> where this server requires username and password. I deleted passwords
    >>> in the hope that TB would ask me for them. I must be missing
    >>> something. Thank you.

    >> enter the server info. When you've done that, click OK to the Account
    >> Settings screen, then go to File, Subscribe, and at this point, you
    >> should get a popup asking for the password.
    >>
    >> Request authentication may not be needed.
    >>

    > Well, that is what I thought. I am not getting the dialog box, which
    > means I may have to keep recreating and deleting passwords until that
    > pops up. Thanks!

    try this. Remove the server, close TB, then remove all the
    left over files within the profile. Then open prefs.js in a
    word processor and remove any lines related to that server.
    Reopen TB, re-enter the info and try again. This time
    don't check request authentication.

    or Reply to Author. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  5. Re: Newsgroup setup NEED HELP

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > try this. Remove the server, close TB, then remove all the left over
    > files within the profile. Then open prefs.js in a word processor and
    > remove any lines related to that server. Reopen TB, re-enter the info
    > and try again. This time don't check request authentication.

    I got it working again by deleting everything I could and recreating for
    the fourth time I think. This used to be a mandatory box on setup with
    Netscape, but I cannot remember if Mozilla ever had it that way. I am
    definately in favor of having the setting permanently visible in
    preferences. Thanks for your help.

  6. Re: Newsgroup setup NEED HELP

    javajeff wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> javajeff wrote:
    >>> I am trying to connect to my bellsouth account at
    >>> newsgroups.bellsouth.net. It requires a login, but I cannot find the
    >>> setting in TB to put in my username and password. I thought in the
    >>> past it just popped up a dialog box. I had this working before. The
    >>> "Always request authentication when connecting to this server"
    >>> setting does nothing. I recreated the account, and there is nowhere
    >>> to check where this server requires username and password. I deleted
    >>> passwords in the hope that TB would ask me for them. I must be
    >>> missing something. Thank you.

    >> enter the server info. When you've done that, click OK to the Account
    >> Settings screen, then go to File, Subscribe, and at this point, you
    >> should get a popup asking for the password.
    >>
    >> Request authentication may not be needed.
    >>

    > Well, that is what I thought. I am not getting the dialog box, which
    > means I may have to keep recreating and deleting passwords until that
    > pops up. Thanks!

    In the account setup in Tools > Account Settings > [news server name] >
    Server settings is a checkbox "Always request authentication...". Maybe
    you need to set that.

+ Reply to Thread