Thunderbird Mail Merge - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Thunderbird Mail Merge - Mozilla ; I read several posts but haven't received a definitive answer. It looks like there is currently no add-on or other way to create an email using fields from the contacts (i.e. First Name, Last Name, etc.). But has anyone found ...

  1. Thunderbird Mail Merge

    I read several posts but haven't received a definitive answer. It
    looks like there is currently no add-on or other way to create an
    email using fields from the contacts (i.e. First Name, Last Name,
    etc.). But has anyone found a software that does this? I don't want
    to send out mass emails I just want to be able to send an email
    populating information from the contacts section.

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Thunderbird Mail Merge

    On 7/27/2007 12:15 PM, reneechandler@comcast.net wrote:
    > I read several posts but haven't received a definitive answer. It
    > looks like there is currently no add-on or other way to create an
    > email using fields from the contacts (i.e. First Name, Last Name,
    > etc.). But has anyone found a software that does this? I don't want
    > to send out mass emails I just want to be able to send an email
    > populating information from the contacts section.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Do you mean that you want to copy the contact information into the body of the
    email?

    Open Address book, from "Tools" menu select "Export" Enter a filename, in "Save
    as type" choose comma separated or tab delimited. Either format can be opened
    with MS Excel or most any spreadsheet program. Tab delimited is a .txt file
    and could be sent as an attachment or copy and paste from within Notepad.

    Give some more details of what you hope to do if this isn't helpful.

    --
    G. R. Woodring

  3. Re: Thunderbird Mail Merge

    G. R. Woodring wrote:
    > On 7/27/2007 12:15 PM, reneechandler@comcast.net wrote:
    >> I read several posts but haven't received a definitive answer. It
    >> looks like there is currently no add-on or other way to create an
    >> email using fields from the contacts (i.e. First Name, Last Name,
    >> etc.). But has anyone found a software that does this? I don't want
    >> to send out mass emails I just want to be able to send an email
    >> populating information from the contacts section.
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>

    > Do you mean that you want to copy the contact information into the body
    > of the email?
    >
    > Open Address book, from "Tools" menu select "Export" Enter a filename,
    > in "Save as type" choose comma separated or tab delimited. Either
    > format can be opened with MS Excel or most any spreadsheet program.
    > Tab delimited is a .txt file and could be sent as an attachment or copy
    > and paste from within Notepad.
    >
    > Give some more details of what you hope to do if this isn't helpful.

    Actually I would like to know regarding mail merge also. I teach a
    college class & am using TB for group emails to my students with the
    group email list going out as BCC for their privacy. It would be
    helpful if the message could be personalized a bit using mail merge in
    Open Office 2.x. Basically the same thing offered by M$ with Word &
    Outlook. I have both but prefer not to use them for many of the obvious
    security reasons.

    James

  4. Re: Thunderbird Mail Merge

    On Jul 28, 8:44 pm, "G. R. Woodring" wrote:
    > On 7/27/2007 12:15 PM, reneechand...@comcast.net wrote:
    >
    > > I read several posts but haven't received a definitive answer. It
    > > looks like there is currently no add-on or other way to create an
    > > email using fields from the contacts (i.e. First Name, Last Name,
    > > etc.). But has anyone found a software that does this? I don't want
    > > to send out mass emails I just want to be able to send an email
    > > populating information from the contacts section.

    > > Thanks!

    > Do you mean that you want to copy the contact information into the body of the
    > email?
    >
    > Open Address book, from "Tools" menu select "Export" Enter a filename, in "Save
    > as type" choose comma separated or tab delimited. Either format can be opened
    > with MS Excel or most any spreadsheet program. Tab delimited is a .txt file
    > and could be sent as an attachment or copy and paste from within Notepad.
    >
    > Give some more details of what you hope to do if this isn't helpful.
    >
    > --
    > G. R. Woodring

    Hi G.R.,

    Actually I want to be able to insert fields that are in the contact
    file (First Name, Last Name, Address Lines, etc) directly into an
    email. So if I created a new email I could then insert these contact
    fields directly into the email. I could select which contacts I want
    to email to.

    I'm sorry if I'm not explaining this well! Basically I want to be
    able to merge the contact information directly into an email using TB
    as the email client. I don't want have to export the fields and
    include them as attachments. I want to be able to create an email
    that is formatted something like this (fields with <> are imported
    directly from the contact info:

    Hello ,

    Here is the information I have on file for you:

    ,

    Thanks!
    Renee Chandler

  5. Re: Thunderbird Mail Merge

    reneechandler@comcast.net wrote:
    > Hi G.R.,
    >
    > Actually I want to be able to insert fields that are in the contact
    > file (First Name, Last Name, Address Lines, etc) directly into an
    > email. So if I created a new email I could then insert these contact
    > fields directly into the email. I could select which contacts I want
    > to email to.
    >
    > I'm sorry if I'm not explaining this well! Basically I want to be able
    > to merge the contact information directly into an email using TB as
    > the email client. I don't want have to export the fields and include
    > them as attachments. I want to be able to create an email that is
    > formatted something like this (fields with <> are imported directly
    > from the contact info:
    >
    > Hello ,
    >
    > Here is the information I have on file for you:
    >

    > ,

    To my knowledge TB just doesn't do this. It's not really for a mail
    client to do. There are probably various applications written
    specifically to do such things although they probably will be looking
    for your address book information in Outlook not TB. When you think
    about it, interrogating the users address book/contact information is
    exactly what any good email worm would want to do in order to replicate
    itself.
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    ....Every morning is the dawn of a new error...

  6. Re: Thunderbird Mail Merge

    reneechandler@comcast.net wrote:
    > On Jul 28, 8:44 pm, "G. R. Woodring" wrote:
    >> On 7/27/2007 12:15 PM, reneechand...@comcast.net wrote:
    >>
    >>> I read several posts but haven't received a definitive answer. It
    >>> looks like there is currently no add-on or other way to create an
    >>> email using fields from the contacts (i.e. First Name, Last Name,
    >>> etc.). But has anyone found a software that does this? I don't want
    >>> to send out mass emails I just want to be able to send an email
    >>> populating information from the contacts section.
    >>> Thanks!

    >> Do you mean that you want to copy the contact information into the body of the
    >> email?
    >>
    >> Open Address book, from "Tools" menu select "Export" Enter a filename, in "Save
    >> as type" choose comma separated or tab delimited. Either format can be opened
    >> with MS Excel or most any spreadsheet program. Tab delimited is a .txt file
    >> and could be sent as an attachment or copy and paste from within Notepad.
    >>
    >> Give some more details of what you hope to do if this isn't helpful.
    >>
    >> --
    >> G. R. Woodring

    > Hi G.R.,
    >
    > Actually I want to be able to insert fields that are in the contact
    > file (First Name, Last Name, Address Lines, etc) directly into an
    > email. So if I created a new email I could then insert these contact
    > fields directly into the email. I could select which contacts I want
    > to email to.
    >
    > I'm sorry if I'm not explaining this well! Basically I want to be
    > able to merge the contact information directly into an email using TB
    > as the email client. I don't want have to export the fields and
    > include them as attachments. I want to be able to create an email
    > that is formatted something like this (fields with <> are imported
    > directly from the contact info:
    >
    > Hello ,
    >
    > Here is the information I have on file for you:
    >

    > ,

    I don't believe TB will do this.

    I don't have any experience with mail merge, however, I understand that
    OpenOffice will do this, and that it can use your TB address book as well.
    http://www.openoffice.org/
    (free)

    --
    Alex K.