2.0 Disable autocomplete-while-you-type? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on 2.0 Disable autocomplete-while-you-type? - Mozilla ; I've seen articles here and at mozillazine about *completely* disabling autocomplete. Is there any way to make autocomplete wait until I hit , rather than trying to autocomplete while I'm typing? The reason is that my typing is evidently slower ...

  1. 2.0 Disable autocomplete-while-you-type?

    I've seen articles here and at mozillazine about *completely* disabling
    autocomplete. Is there any way to make autocomplete wait until I hit
    , rather than trying to autocomplete while I'm typing?

    The reason is that my typing is evidently slower than the "initiation"
    phase of the autocomplete feature, but then the "search" phase is
    agonizingly slow, especially with a large addressbook. If I make a
    typing error, or if I even hesitate while typing, it autocompletes based
    on what I've already typed (obviously!) which may not be what I
    *intended* it to autocomplete! I then have to wait for the search to
    complete before I can delete the wrong characters (which, if I hesitate
    again, will trigger another search -- and on fewer characters, so it
    brings up even more undesired completions) and type in the correct
    characters (ditto).

    I've actually developed a Pavlovian reflex of being so nervous while
    inputting addresses ("Will I be able to type this fast enough, without
    errors, so that I don't have to keep doing it over and over?") that I
    find myself even feeling similarly nervous when typing things in TB that
    *dont'* autocomplete! ;^)

    Autocomplete is a nice feature, so I don't want to disable it. But I
    would love to be able to type exactly as much of the address as I think
    is necessary, check for typing errors, and *then* hit (or
    something else) to do the autocomplete. Is this possible?

  2. Re: 2.0 Disable autocomplete-while-you-type?

    clay wrote:
    > Dudley Brooks wrote:
    >> I've seen articles here and at mozillazine about *completely*
    >> disabling autocomplete. Is there any way to make autocomplete wait
    >> until I hit , rather than trying to autocomplete while I'm typing?
    >>
    >> The reason is that my typing is evidently slower than the "initiation"
    >> phase of the autocomplete feature, but then the "search" phase is
    >> agonizingly slow, especially with a large addressbook. If I make a
    >> typing error, or if I even hesitate while typing, it autocompletes
    >> based on what I've already typed (obviously!) which may not be what I
    >> *intended* it to autocomplete! I then have to wait for the search to
    >> complete before I can delete the wrong characters (which, if I
    >> hesitate again, will trigger another search -- and on fewer
    >> characters, so it brings up even more undesired completions) and type
    >> in the correct characters (ditto).
    >>
    >> I've actually developed a Pavlovian reflex of being so nervous while
    >> inputting addresses ("Will I be able to type this fast enough, without
    >> errors, so that I don't have to keep doing it over and over?") that I
    >> find myself even feeling similarly nervous when typing things in TB
    >> that *dont'* autocomplete! ;^)
    >>
    >> Autocomplete is a nice feature, so I don't want to disable it. But I
    >> would love to be able to type exactly as much of the address as I
    >> think is necessary, check for typing errors, and *then* hit
    >> (or something else) to do the autocomplete. Is this possible?

    > Don't have the answer and I guess I don't see the problem. I think I'd
    > be solving the why is it searching so slow issue first.

    I assume it's because I have an old computer and a very large addressbook.

    > I don't type well either but I find if I type one or two letters of the
    > address, I can then scroll wheel (or arrow) down to the address I want.
    > I don't even attempt to type out the whole address.

    Only one or two letters gives a *long* list of possibilities. Even
    then, I guess it would be faster than waiting for what I've described in
    the next paragraph, below. But if I don't type those two characters
    fast enough, I have to wait for it to finish autocompleting the first
    character (which gives a *really* long list) before I can type the second.

    > Biggest irritation for me is when I mistype the second of two letters,
    > realize I've done it, and hit backspace once and type it again.
    > Thunderbird ignores the first backspace so now I have the mistyped
    > letter and another letter typed which really jacks the search.
    > Time to look up from the keyboard and figure out how many backspaces it
    > takes to get to a meaningful address...

    This is also the biggest irritation for me -- the autocomplete starts
    immediately but takes so long to work, and "disables" the keyboard while
    it's searching. Actually, it obviously stores the input in a keyboard
    buffer, but the effect is still the same -- I have to wait until it
    finishes the autocomplete on my incorrect typing before I can backspace
    (if I want to see my backspacing), and then I have to wait until it
    finishes the autocomplete on my backspaced input before I can type the
    new correct characters (again, if I want to be able to see what I'm typing).

    I would like to have autocomplete wait for me, rather than me having to
    wait for it! ;^) Or even a way to slow down how long it waits before
    it starts autocompleting.

    BTW, I don't have this same problem in Internet Explorer's
    autocomplete of URLs, even with a very, very long history list, because
    IE runs *much* faster than TB (or than Firefox, which I had to stop
    using, it was so slow).

  3. Re: 2.0 Disable autocomplete-while-you-type?

    clay wrote:
    > Dudley Brooks wrote:
    >> Only one or two letters gives a *long* list of possibilities. Even
    >> then, I guess it would be faster than waiting for what I've described
    >> in the next paragraph, below. ...

    > Have you tried using nicknames?
    > People I email regularly I give them a 2 or 3 letter nickname, usually
    > first and last initial. Dave Smith becomes ds.
    > Typing da(ve) would get a ton of hits, ds not so many.

    I've actually cannibalized nicknames as something else -- I use them
    (multiple nicknames per person) as tags, to classify addresses instead
    of using maillists (for reasons I won't go into). Of course, that
    wouldn't keep me from adding a personal nickname. I have so many names
    now, though, that it's going to be a drag to go back and add nicknames
    to all of them, even the one I use frequently. :^( Great idea though!
    Thanks!

  4. Re: 2.0 Disable autocomplete-while-you-type?

    *-* On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 16:25:03 -0700,
    *-* In Article raadnV0RxNnXiAnbnZ2dnUVZ_gCdnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* Dudley Brooks wrote
    *-* About 2.0 Disable autocomplete-while-you-type?

    > I've seen articles here and at mozillazine about *completely*
    > disabling autocomplete. Is there any way to make autocomplete wait
    > until I hit , rather than trying to autocomplete while I'm
    > typing?

    > The reason is that my typing is evidently slower than the
    > "initiation" phase of the autocomplete feature, but then the
    > "search" phase is agonizingly slow, especially with a large
    > addressbook. If I make a typing error, or if I even hesitate while
    > typing, it autocompletes based on what I've already typed
    > (obviously!) which may not be what I *intended* it to autocomplete!
    > I then have to wait for the search to complete before I can delete
    > the wrong characters (which, if I hesitate again, will trigger
    > another search -- and on fewer characters, so it brings up even more
    > undesired completions) and type in the correct characters (ditto).

    > I've actually developed a Pavlovian reflex of being so nervous while
    > inputting addresses ("Will I be able to type this fast enough,
    > without errors, so that I don't have to keep doing it over and
    > over?") that I find myself even feeling similarly nervous when
    > typing things in TB that *dont'* autocomplete! ;^)

    > Autocomplete is a nice feature, so I don't want to disable it. But
    > I would love to be able to type exactly as much of the address as I
    > think is necessary, check for typing errors, and *then* hit
    > (or something else) to do the autocomplete. Is this possible?

    I don't know just what this setting does (and I haven't been able
    to find an explanation of it) but I'm guessing that it might control
    the "reaction time" of the autoComplete function. If so, tweaking it
    might allow you to improve your autoComplete experience. :-)

    Tools --> Options --> Advanced --> [General tab] --> Config Editor...

    Filter: [autocomplete______________]

    Play around with the "ldap_2.autoComplete.interval" setting. If it's
    like other time-related settings, the value is in milliseconds, so the
    default value of 650 (in my TB1.5) would represent 0.65 seconds.

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152