New multimedia course for Thunderbird in Beta, need feedback - Mozilla

This is a discussion on New multimedia course for Thunderbird in Beta, need feedback - Mozilla ; (see below for link to beta-status Flash-based multimedia course on Thunderbird) Hi, I would like to ask for input and feedback regarding a crazy project I started. My idea is to start an open-source type project but not for code ...

  1. New multimedia course for Thunderbird in Beta, need feedback

    (see below for link to beta-status Flash-based multimedia course on
    Thunderbird)

    Hi,

    I would like to ask for input and feedback regarding a crazy project I
    started. My idea is to start an open-source type project but not for
    code (although that's needed too) but for CONTENT - multimedia learning
    content to be precise. The project is at http://letexa.com/ (it's a
    shared-hosting site so not too fast for the multimedia downloads
    announced below...)

    To create an example - I would like to concentrate on learning content
    for open source products - I somehow ended up starting to create a
    course for Thunderbird.

    http://letexa.com/courses/1/

    It's "multimedia" so you need sound! No video because the site is too
    slow to also include a video stream, download for each course part is
    still acceptable right now... (much less than a minute download time for
    5-7 minutes of a course section).

    So anyway, I must admit I have less a concrete question to you but would
    like to hear general feedback, encouragement or the opposite, test the
    waters... I invested significant time and effort so far, much more than
    is visible yet (a lot of concepts and ideas "for later" are already in
    place).

    So try the course and comment, here or at my forum at Letexa!

    Thanks,
    Michael

    PS: I also posted this message to the Thunderbird forum at
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/

  2. Re: New multimedia course for Thunderbird in Beta, need feedback

    Michael Hasenstein wrote:
    > (see below for link to beta-status Flash-based multimedia course on
    > Thunderbird)
    >

    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to ask for input and feedback regarding a crazy project I
    > started. My idea is to start an open-source type project but not for
    > code (although that's needed too) but for CONTENT - multimedia learning
    > content to be precise. The project is at http://letexa.com/ (it's a
    > shared-hosting site so not too fast for the multimedia downloads
    > announced below...)
    >
    > To create an example - I would like to concentrate on learning content
    > for open source products - I somehow ended up starting to create a
    > course for Thunderbird.
    >
    > http://letexa.com/courses/1/
    >
    > It's "multimedia" so you need sound! No video because the site is too
    > slow to also include a video stream, download for each course part is
    > still acceptable right now... (much less than a minute download time for
    > 5-7 minutes of a course section).
    >
    > So anyway, I must admit I have less a concrete question to you but would
    > like to hear general feedback, encouragement or the opposite, test the
    > waters... I invested significant time and effort so far, much more than
    > is visible yet (a lot of concepts and ideas "for later" are already in
    > place).
    >
    > So try the course and comment, here or at my forum at Letexa!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Michael
    >

    > PS: I also posted this message to the Thunderbird forum at
    > http://forums.mozillazine.org/

    you should also post in the mozilla.test.multimedia
    newsgroup. Thats where some great experts come up with some
    great stuff.

    one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  3. Re: New multimedia course for Thunderbird in Beta, need feedback

    On 7/10/2007 4:42 PM , Thunderbird leader Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
    by teletype announce :
    > Michael Hasenstein wrote:
    >
    >> (see below for link to beta-status Flash-based multimedia course on
    >> Thunderbird)
    >>

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I would like to ask for input and feedback regarding a crazy project I
    >> started. My idea is to start an open-source type project but not for
    >> code (although that's needed too) but for CONTENT - multimedia learning
    >> content to be precise. The project is at http://letexa.com/ (it's a
    >> shared-hosting site so not too fast for the multimedia downloads
    >> announced below...)
    >>
    >> To create an example - I would like to concentrate on learning content
    >> for open source products - I somehow ended up starting to create a
    >> course for Thunderbird.
    >>
    >> http://letexa.com/courses/1/
    >>
    >> It's "multimedia" so you need sound! No video because the site is too
    >> slow to also include a video stream, download for each course part is
    >> still acceptable right now... (much less than a minute download time for
    >> 5-7 minutes of a course section).
    >>
    >> So anyway, I must admit I have less a concrete question to you but would
    >> like to hear general feedback, encouragement or the opposite, test the
    >> waters... I invested significant time and effort so far, much more than
    >> is visible yet (a lot of concepts and ideas "for later" are already in
    >> place).
    >>
    >> So try the course and comment, here or at my forum at Letexa!
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Michael
    >>

    >> PS: I also posted this message to the Thunderbird forum at
    >> http://forums.mozillazine.org/
    >>

    > you should also post in the mozilla.test.multimedia
    > newsgroup. Thats where some great experts come up with some
    > great stuff.

    Also, there are two groups on the SSL secure server at
    secnews.netscape.com port 563
    netscape.mozilla.thunderbird (old user support group, still gets traffic)
    netscape.test.multimedia (original home of multimedia testing with NC4
    and evolved to Tb workaround development)

    --
    Ron K.
    NTMM Irregulars, The unofficial champions of multimedia mail/news content

  4. Re: New multimedia course for Thunderbird in Beta, need feedback

    On 7/10/2007 3:24 PM, Michael Hasenstein wrote:
    > (see below for link to beta-status Flash-based multimedia course on
    > Thunderbird)
    >

    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to ask for input and feedback regarding a crazy project I
    > started. My idea is to start an open-source type project but not for
    > code (although that's needed too) but for CONTENT - multimedia learning
    > content to be precise. The project is at http://letexa.com/ (it's a
    > shared-hosting site so not too fast for the multimedia downloads
    > announced below...)
    >
    > To create an example - I would like to concentrate on learning content
    > for open source products - I somehow ended up starting to create a
    > course for Thunderbird.
    >
    > http://letexa.com/courses/1/
    >
    > It's "multimedia" so you need sound! No video because the site is too
    > slow to also include a video stream, download for each course part is
    > still acceptable right now... (much less than a minute download time for
    > 5-7 minutes of a course section).
    >
    > So anyway, I must admit I have less a concrete question to you but would
    > like to hear general feedback, encouragement or the opposite, test the
    > waters... I invested significant time and effort so far, much more than
    > is visible yet (a lot of concepts and ideas "for later" are already in
    > place).
    >
    > So try the course and comment, here or at my forum at Letexa!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Michael
    >

    > PS: I also posted this message to the Thunderbird forum at
    > http://forums.mozillazine.org/

    I went through several portions of the course but I don't know if you're
    looking for feedback on the course content, or feedback on what the tool
    you are using allows you to do, or feedback on something else.

    The course locked up when I paused it during the setup e-mail portion.
    I had to use Windows Task Manager to close Firefox. When I let things
    run they were fine.

    You don't explain why you are choosing some of the things you choose.
    For instance, anyone who needs this course probably also needs to know
    that they have to follow the instructions from their ISP to know if they
    need POP or IMAP and that they should get that information in advance.
    They'll need to know why you choose Global Inbox in the opening and what
    it means, but why you don't choose it later in the course. Some of the
    Thunderbird text you show is in English and some in German.

    Bernie

  5. Re: New multimedia course for Thunderbird in Beta, need feedback

    Hi,

    Bernie wrote:
    > I went through several portions of the course but I don't know if you're
    > looking for feedback on the course content, or feedback on what the tool
    > you are using allows you to do, or feedback on something else.

    Well, I'd say yours is the best feedback so far... anyway, any feedback!
    Whatever comes to mind! Why do Americans always need exact instructions ;-)

    > The course locked up when I paused it during the setup e-mail portion. I
    > had to use Windows Task Manager to close Firefox. When I let things run
    > they were fine.

    If it locked up it's an issue of/with Adobe Flashplayer. Unfortunately
    there isn't really any choice for which technology to use when one wants
    crossplatform multimedia capabilities delivered through the web.

    > You don't explain why you are choosing some of the things you choose.
    > For instance, anyone who needs this course probably also needs to know
    > that they have to follow the instructions from their ISP to know if they
    > need POP or IMAP and that they should get that information in advance.
    > They'll need to know why you choose Global Inbox in the opening and what
    > it means, but why you don't choose it later in the course. Some of the
    > Thunderbird text you show is in English and some in German.

    You are right. I decided to abandon the idea of a monolithic course and
    create lots of small "courselets". For example, the three sections
    "About Email,News,RSS" are one "courselet" each. Hey, I also created a
    new word... (for a tiny course which is/should be part of a "real" one)!

    There are too many assumptions to be made about the target group when I
    create a "full" course. Also creating small pieces and using them to in
    turn create (assemble with "glue") larger ones was the original idea of
    my not-yet existing learning platform, so thanks for the welcome reality
    check. When one sits in front of a project for too long one gets
    distracted by it...

    Michael

+ Reply to Thread