TB transfer to a new installation - Mozilla

This is a discussion on TB transfer to a new installation - Mozilla ; Today i formatted my HDD and had already kept a copy of all my TB settings in /Appdata/Thunderbird. Now i have tried to copy my old profile settings and mail files into the new installation of TB but nothing shows ...

  1. TB transfer to a new installation

    Today i formatted my HDD and had already kept a copy of all my TB settings
    in /Appdata/Thunderbird.

    Now i have tried to copy my old profile settings and mail files into the new
    installation of TB but nothing shows up in the mail folders.
    How can this be done and do not loose my emails?
    Please advise!

    Constantinos
    panzer@gwool.com

  2. Re: TB transfer to a new installation

    On 7/9/2007 2:43 PM On a whim, Constantinos Lazaris pounded out on the
    keyboard

    > Today i formatted my HDD and had already kept a copy of all my TB settings
    > in /Appdata/Thunderbird.
    >
    > Now i have tried to copy my old profile settings and mail files into the new
    > installation of TB but nothing shows up in the mail folders.
    > How can this be done and do not loose my emails?
    > Please advise!
    >
    > Constantinos
    > panzer@gwool.com

    Hi Constantinos,

    Your answer should be here:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbir...older_Location

    --
    Terry R.

  3. Re: TB transfer to a new installation

    Yes, The profile is easily moved. But what about the emails that were stored
    in the mail directory in the profile dir? Are these lost or can they be
    transfered?

    "Terry R." wrote in message
    news:l9mdnQStiJknMw_bnZ2dnUVZ_qrinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > On 7/9/2007 2:43 PM On a whim, Constantinos Lazaris pounded out on the
    > keyboard
    >
    >> Today i formatted my HDD and had already kept a copy of all my TB
    >> settings in /Appdata/Thunderbird.
    >>
    >> Now i have tried to copy my old profile settings and mail files into the
    >> new installation of TB but nothing shows up in the mail folders.
    >> How can this be done and do not loose my emails?
    >> Please advise!
    >>
    >> Constantinos
    >> panzer@gwool.com
    >>

    > Hi Constantinos,
    >
    > Your answer should be here:
    > http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbir...older_Location
    >
    > --
    > Terry R.
    > Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
    > Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.

  4. Re: TB transfer to a new installation

    On 7/9/2007 4:16 PM On a whim, Constantinos Lazaris pounded out on the
    keyboard

    > Yes, The profile is easily moved. But what about the emails that were stored
    > in the mail directory in the profile dir? Are these lost or can they be
    > transfered?
    >
    > "Terry R." wrote in message
    > news:l9mdnQStiJknMw_bnZ2dnUVZ_qrinZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> On 7/9/2007 2:43 PM On a whim, Constantinos Lazaris pounded out on the
    >> keyboard
    >>
    >>> Today i formatted my HDD and had already kept a copy of all my TB
    >>> settings in /Appdata/Thunderbird.
    >>>
    >>> Now i have tried to copy my old profile settings and mail files into the
    >>> new installation of TB but nothing shows up in the mail folders.
    >>> How can this be done and do not loose my emails?
    >>> Please advise!
    >>>
    >>> Constantinos
    >>> panzer@gwool.com
    >>>

    >> Hi Constantinos,
    >>
    >> Your answer should be here:
    >> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbir...older_Location
    >>
    >> --
    >> Terry R.
    >> Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
    >> Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.

    Did you follow the instructions? If so, check View, Threads, All. If
    that doesn't work, right click on the folder, select Properties and
    Rebuild Index. If still not showing, close TB. Delete the MSF files of
    the folders in question in your profile folder (note: hidden files and
    extensions must be showing).

    Report back,

    --
    Terry R.

  5. Re: TB transfer to a new installation

    On 7/9/2007 2:43 PM, Constantinos Lazaris wrote:
    > Today i formatted my HDD and had already kept a copy of all my TB settings
    > in /Appdata/Thunderbird.
    >
    > Now i have tried to copy my old profile settings and mail files into the new
    > installation of TB but nothing shows up in the mail folders.
    > How can this be done and do not loose my emails?
    > Please advise!
    >
    > Constantinos
    > panzer@gwool.com

    You need to copy your old prefs.js file to your new profile. the best
    way to handle all of this is to(1) delete the *contents* of your new
    profile. (2) Delete the *.msf files from the MAIL folder of your old
    profile (3) Copy the *contents* of your old profile to your new profile.
    --
    Irwin

  6. Re: TB transfer to a new installation

    Constantinos Lazaris wrote:
    > Today i formatted my HDD and had already kept a copy of all my TB settings
    > in /Appdata/Thunderbird.
    >
    > Now i have tried to copy my old profile settings and mail files into the new
    > installation of TB but nothing shows up in the mail folders.
    > How can this be done and do not loose my emails?
    > Please advise!
    >
    > Constantinos
    > panzer@gwool.com

    I recently went through this same process, and it was a real time
    consuming effort -- not the easy dance some have described here and
    elsewhere. I confess, I was working on win-doze, not *nix.

    In spite of having known good, proven backup data, I found there were
    several actions required.

    1. I could not simply move/copy my stored profiles and messages in
    place of a FF/TB created profile. I had to let FF/TB create a new
    profile before anything else.

    2. I never did find a way to restore/recover an active INBOX folder.
    While I had copies of the messages, I had to put them in a local folder.

    3. I could not simply drop a local message folder into place. I had to
    let TB create a new, empty folder first. Then I replaced whatever files
    and folders that TB created with ones from my backup copies.

    4. I did something and TB refused to run saying, "profile in use" and
    similar complaints. I never did discover how to repair this and had to
    delete/un-install and start over.

    For you folks who **really know** and **really understand** this sort of
    thing might be a walk in the park. For the rest of us, it is not easy,
    not straight forward, and far from "it just works". I read every
    Knowledge Base item and news item I could find. I was careful and
    deliberate. I spent an entire day on this. That was nuts on my part,
    and should be an alarm call to the developers and power users that
    something may not be right.

    Thanks,
    ~~~ Dan 0;-/
    Austin, TX

  7. Re: TB transfer to a new installation

    Seems like nothing works... It's very strange... I'll move everything to my
    office tommorow and try again

    "Constantinos Lazaris" wrote in message
    news:J8qdnfR3K_6LMQ_bnZ2dnUVZ_gmdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Today i formatted my HDD and had already kept a copy of all my TB settings
    > in /Appdata/Thunderbird.
    >
    > Now i have tried to copy my old profile settings and mail files into the
    > new installation of TB but nothing shows up in the mail folders.
    > How can this be done and do not loose my emails?
    > Please advise!
    >
    > Constantinos
    > panzer@gwool.com

  8. Re: TB transfer to a new installation

    On 7/10/2007 7:43 AM, Saint Dan Bert wrote:
    > Constantinos Lazaris wrote:
    >> Today i formatted my HDD and had already kept a copy of all my TB settings
    >> in /Appdata/Thunderbird.
    >>
    >> Now i have tried to copy my old profile settings and mail files into the new
    >> installation of TB but nothing shows up in the mail folders.
    >> How can this be done and do not loose my emails?
    >> Please advise!
    >>
    >> Constantinos
    >> panzer@gwool.com
    >>

    > I recently went through this same process, and it was a real time
    > consuming effort -- not the easy dance some have described here and
    > elsewhere. I confess, I was working on win-doze, not *nix.
    >
    > In spite of having known good, proven backup data, I found there were
    > several actions required.
    >
    > 1. I could not simply move/copy my stored profiles and messages in
    > place of a FF/TB created profile. I had to let FF/TB create a new
    > profile before anything else.
    >
    > 2. I never did find a way to restore/recover an active INBOX folder.
    > While I had copies of the messages, I had to put them in a local folder.
    >
    > 3. I could not simply drop a local message folder into place. I had to
    > let TB create a new, empty folder first. Then I replaced whatever files
    > and folders that TB created with ones from my backup copies.
    >
    > 4. I did something and TB refused to run saying, "profile in use" and
    > similar complaints. I never did discover how to repair this and had to
    > delete/un-install and start over.
    >

    > For you folks who **really know** and **really understand** this sort of
    > thing might be a walk in the park. For the rest of us, it is not easy,
    > not straight forward, and far from "it just works". I read every
    > Knowledge Base item and news item I could find. I was careful and
    > deliberate. I spent an entire day on this. That was nuts on my part,
    > and should be an alarm call to the developers and power users that
    > something may not be right.
    >

    > Thanks,
    > ~~~ Dan 0;-/
    > Austin, TX

    Have you tried this:

    Moving or copying to another windows machine
    (If you are transporting via CD, it is suggested that you zip the
    profile before writing the CD to avoid "read-only" problems associated
    with storage on CDs)

    1. Create a profile on the new machine. Delete its contents.
    2. Delete *.msf files from your old MAIL folder.
    3. Copy the *contents of* your old profile into your new profile.

    --
    Irwin

  9. Re: TB transfer to a new installation

    On 7/11/2007 10:34 AM, Constantinos Lazaris wrote:
    > Seems like nothing works... It's very strange... I'll move everything to my
    > office tommorow and try again
    >
    > "Constantinos Lazaris" wrote in message
    > news:J8qdnfR3K_6LMQ_bnZ2dnUVZ_gmdnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    >> Today i formatted my HDD and had already kept a copy of all my TB settings
    >> in /Appdata/Thunderbird.
    >>
    >> Now i have tried to copy my old profile settings and mail files into the
    >> new installation of TB but nothing shows up in the mail folders.
    >> How can this be done and do not loose my emails?
    >> Please advise!
    >>
    >> Constantinos
    >> panzer@gwool.com

    As I said above three days ago, your problem is that you have the wrong
    pref.js. And as I told Saint Dan Bert: