Prevent TB from focusing on FF - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Prevent TB from focusing on FF - Mozilla ; When a link in an email is clicked on, it immediately changes focus from TB to FF. This action is not always wanted - such as when reading newspaper headlines I may click on a few to read in detail ...

  1. Prevent TB from focusing on FF

    When a link in an email is clicked on, it immediately changes focus from
    TB to FF. This action is not always wanted - such as when reading
    newspaper headlines I may click on a few to read in detail when perusing
    the headlines is completed.

    Is there a keyboard shortcut or another method which will allow FF to
    open the link, but not change focus from TB?
    Miles

  2. Re: Prevent TB from focusing on FF

    Date 7/8/2007 11:56 AM by, Thunderbird leader Miles teletyped to
    announce :
    > When a link in an email is clicked on, it immediately changes focus from
    > TB to FF. This action is not always wanted - such as when reading
    > newspaper headlines I may click on a few to read in detail when perusing
    > the headlines is completed.
    >
    > Is there a keyboard shortcut or another method which will allow FF to
    > open the link, but not change focus from TB?
    > Miles

    I think you will find that this is an OS issue. The HHTP protocol
    handling is an all or nothing preference.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  3. Re: Prevent TB from focusing on FF

    Miles wrote:
    > When a link in an email is clicked on, it immediately changes focus from
    > TB to FF. This action is not always wanted - such as when reading
    > newspaper headlines I may click on a few to read in detail when perusing
    > the headlines is completed.
    >
    > Is there a keyboard shortcut or another method which will allow FF to
    > open the link, but not change focus from TB?
    > Miles

    i don't quite understand it but setting
    browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground to true in firefox wfm

  4. Re: Prevent TB from focusing on FF

    * Redhat71 wrote:
    > Miles wrote:
    >> When a link in an email is clicked on, it immediately changes focus
    >> from TB to FF. This action is not always wanted - such as when
    >> reading newspaper headlines I may click on a few to read in detail
    >> when perusing the headlines is completed.
    >>
    >> Is there a keyboard shortcut or another method which will allow FF to
    >> open the link, but not change focus from TB?
    >> Miles

    > i don't quite understand it but setting
    > browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground to true in firefox wfm

    Thanks, that certainly does the trick. However, it would be great if
    there were a keyboard shortcut to perform this task in order that it be
    selective.

  5. Re: Prevent TB from focusing on FF

    * clay wrote:
    > Miles wrote:
    >> * Redhat71 wrote:

    >>> i don't quite understand it but setting
    >>> browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground to true in firefox wfm

    >> Thanks, that certainly does the trick. However, it would be great if
    >> there were a keyboard shortcut to perform this task in order that it
    >> be selective.

    > Well, there's always Ctrl+Tab to switch to the recently loaded tab.
    > Ctrl+w when you're done reading it.

    Yes, I should remember to use those two more frequently. However, what
    I'm trying to accomplish is when in TB to switch to FF when I want to
    view the newly linked window now, or not switch the focus to FF now. If
    we start with the default to always switch the focus, it would be nice
    if there were a keyboard shortcut in TB to not switch focus when a link
    is clicked on.

  6. Re: Prevent TB from focusing on FF

    * clay wrote:
    > clay wrote:
    >> Miles wrote:

    > oops... you wanted to control if FF steals focus or remains in the
    > background.
    > Alt+Tab to bring FF forward.

    That does the job, Clay. The only hardship is when there are a few
    programs open and perhaps another was used just prior to using TB, then
    I must first go to FF and click on something to ensure it will be the
    one to utilize the alt/tab the next time. Although that probably won't
    happen often under the circumstances.

  7. Re: Prevent TB from focusing on FF

    Miles wrote:

    >> oops... you wanted to control if FF steals focus or remains in the
    >> background.
    >> Alt+Tab to bring FF forward.
    >>

    > That does the job, Clay. The only hardship is when there are a few
    > programs open and perhaps another was used just prior to using TB, then
    > I must first go to FF and click on something to ensure it will be the
    > one to utilize the alt/tab the next time. Although that probably won't
    > happen often under the circumstances.

    If you hold down the Alt button, and then depress the Tab button, a
    window pops up listing all of the available programs to change to,
    selected by repeatedly pressing Tab while the Alt key is depressed. When
    the Alt key is released, the currently selected window is focused.

  8. Re: Prevent TB from focusing on FF

    * Joshua Cranmer wrote:
    > Miles wrote:

    >> That does the job, Clay. The only hardship is when there are a few
    >> programs open and perhaps another was used just prior to using TB,
    >> then I must first go to FF and click on something to ensure it will be
    >> the one to utilize the alt/tab the next time. Although that probably
    >> won't happen often under the circumstances.

    > If you hold down the Alt button, and then depress the Tab button, a
    > window pops up listing all of the available programs to change to,
    > selected by repeatedly pressing Tab while the Alt key is depressed. When
    > the Alt key is released, the currently selected window is focused.

    Thanks, guess I had forgotten what I had used years ago!

  9. Re: Prevent TB from focusing on FF

    Here's a way to deal with that problem that makes the behavior easily
    switchable. Install this add-on into your Firefox --
    Tab Mix Plus

    Then open the Tab Mix Plus options (there are a lot of options!).
    Go to the "Events" page; select "Tab Focus" tab; and UNCHECK the
    "Diverted Windows" checkbox.

    Now you can click on a bunch of links in a Thunderbird message
    without jumping over to Firefox each time.

    Hope this helps,
    Charlie

  10. Re: Prevent TB from focusing on FF

    * W.Charlie@gmail.com wrote:
    > Here's a way to deal with that problem that makes the behavior easily
    > switchable. Install this add-on into your Firefox --
    > Tab Mix Plus
    >
    > Then open the Tab Mix Plus options (there are a lot of options!).
    > Go to the "Events" page; select "Tab Focus" tab; and UNCHECK the
    > "Diverted Windows" checkbox.
    >
    > Now you can click on a bunch of links in a Thunderbird message
    > without jumping over to Firefox each time.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    > Charlie

    Thanks and that does the same as going into about:config in that the
    setting is changed from false to true.

    However, I'm quickly tiring of this setting because it not only prevents
    focus change from TB to FF when in TB, but also prevents focus change
    when in FF. Since I find that a hassle I've gone back and will accept
    "clicking back" to refocus on TB. Too bad there isn't a setting that
    will only affect TB!

+ Reply to Thread