is it possible to remove fonts from the dropdown? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on is it possible to remove fonts from the dropdown? - Mozilla ; When I'm composing an email I basically only use one of 4 fonts. Is it possible to remove the rest from the font selection dropdown ? ~dd...

  1. is it possible to remove fonts from the dropdown?

    When I'm composing an email I basically only use one of 4 fonts. Is it
    possible to remove the rest from the font selection dropdown ?

    ~dd

  2. Re: is it possible to remove fonts from the dropdown?

    Star date 7/6/2007 9:40 AM by teletype, Thunderbird leader d d called
    the control tower to announce :
    > When I'm composing an email I basically only use one of 4 fonts. Is it
    > possible to remove the rest from the font selection dropdown ?
    >
    > ~dd

    Only by removing them from your system. Tb gets the What fonts are
    available from the OS.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  3. Re: is it possible to remove fonts from the dropdown?

    Ron K. wrote:
    >> When I'm composing an email I basically only use one of 4 fonts. Is it
    >> possible to remove the rest from the font selection dropdown ?
    >> ~dd

    > Only by removing them from your system. Tb gets the What fonts are
    > available from the OS.

    I was guessing that would be the answer, but hoping it wasn't.

    Thanks

    ~dd

  4. Re: is it possible to remove fonts from the dropdown?

    On 06.07.2007 17:28, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused d d to
    generate the following:? :
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >
    >>> When I'm composing an email I basically only use one of 4 fonts. Is it
    >>> possible to remove the rest from the font selection dropdown ?
    >>> ~dd
    >>>

    >> Only by removing them from your system. Tb gets the What fonts are
    >> available from the OS.
    >>

    > I was guessing that would be the answer, but hoping it wasn't.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > ~dd

    there are several "Font Managers" on the market - dunno if there are
    freebees??? With them, you can "group" fonts for various circumstances.

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...ont-manager%22

    this one seems to be a freebee:
    http://www.ampsoft.net/utilities/FontViewer.php
    and looks to do most of what anyone needs it to!

    reg

  5. Re: is it possible to remove fonts from the dropdown?

    On 7/6/2007 07:10 PM India Time, _d d_ wrote:

    > When I'm composing an email I basically only use one of 4 fonts. Is it
    > possible to remove the rest from the font selection dropdown ?
    >
    > ~dd

    Go for Plain text composing and you will be using only single font and
    all other fonts will disappear. :-)
    --
    Vicks

  6. Re: is it possible to remove fonts from the dropdown?

    Vicks Rocz wrote:
    > On 7/6/2007 07:10 PM India Time, _d d_ wrote:
    >> When I'm composing an email I basically only use one of 4 fonts. Is it
    >> possible to remove the rest from the font selection dropdown ?
    >> ~dd

    > Go for Plain text composing and you will be using only single font and
    > all other fonts will disappear. :-)

    I'd rather trash my computer and live in a cave ;-)

    Plain text belongs in the 80's

    ~dd

  7. Re: is it possible to remove fonts from the dropdown?

    d d wrote:
    >> Go for Plain text composing and you will be using only single font and
    >> all other fonts will disappear. :-)

    > I'd rather trash my computer and live in a cave ;-)
    > ~dd

    Actually, that sounds like a good solution. I'm looking on ebay right
    now for some nice caves

    ~dd

  8. Re: is it possible to remove fonts from the dropdown?

    On 7/7/2007 12:25 AM India Time, _d d_ wrote:

    > d d wrote:
    >>> Go for Plain text composing and you will be using only single font and
    >>> all other fonts will disappear. :-)

    >> I'd rather trash my computer and live in a cave ;-)
    >> ~dd

    > Actually, that sounds like a good solution. I'm looking on ebay right
    > now for some nice caves
    >
    > ~dd

    Hope your laptop will work there. you can get it charged by solar power. :-)

    btw, mind sharing which are those 4 Lucky fonts that you use? Why 4 and
    why those 4? Did Britney recommend them to you?
    --
    Vicks

  9. Re: is it possible to remove fonts from the dropdown?

    Vicks Rocz wrote:
    > btw, mind sharing which are those 4 Lucky fonts that you use? Why 4 and
    > why those 4? Did Britney recommend them to you?

    I read in Teen Trash magazine that Britney's favourite font is Baldy
    Coot (TTF).

    I don't have a lucky 4, but I do find myself only ever using Verdana,
    Tahoma, Courier New (for code) and an Arial narrow if the mood takes me
    and I'm feeling reckless. I know you're disappointed now, you probably
    thought I use Wingdings as a secret code and can read emails written in
    Wingdings without changing the font. I'm not that sad .... (yet)

    ~dd

  10. Re: is it possible to remove fonts from the dropdown?

    d d wrote:
    > Vicks Rocz wrote:
    >> On 7/6/2007 07:10 PM India Time, _d d_ wrote:
    >>> When I'm composing an email I basically only use one of 4 fonts. Is
    >>> it possible to remove the rest from the font selection dropdown ?
    >>> ~dd

    >> Go for Plain text composing and you will be using only single font and
    >> all other fonts will disappear. :-)

    > I'd rather trash my computer and live in a cave ;-)
    >
    > Plain text belongs in the 80's
    >
    > ~dd

    Sorry, but plain text belongs in newsgroups. Take a look at the message
    source for a fairly simple HTML message, and compare it to plain text.
    The imagine that message 1 billion times, and consider the cost of
    storage, and transmission time for all those excess bytes that carry no
    information. Beside, why do you get to determine the text style, and
    color, etc., that I see on MY computer?

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  11. Re: is it possible to remove fonts from the dropdown?

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > d d wrote:
    >>> Go for Plain text composing and you will be using only single font
    >>> and all other fonts will disappear. :-)

    >> I'd rather trash my computer and live in a cave ;-)
    >> Plain text belongs in the 80's

    > Sorry, but plain text belongs in newsgroups.
    > why do you get to determine the text style, and
    > color, etc., that I see on MY computer?

    Totally agree with you.

    I was talking about emails, not NG messages.

    ~dd

  12. Re: is it possible to remove fonts from the dropdown?

    On 7/7/2007 05:19 PM India Time, _d d_ wrote:

    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>> I'd rather trash my computer and live in a cave ;-)
    >>> Plain text belongs in the 80's

    >> Sorry, but plain text belongs in newsgroups.
    > > why do you get to determine the text style, and
    > > color, etc., that I see on MY computer?

    > Totally agree with you.
    >
    > I was talking about emails, not NG messages.
    >
    > ~dd

    For emails, "why do you get to determine the text style, and color,
    etc., that I see on MY computer?" :-)
    --
    Vicks

  13. Re: is it possible to remove fonts from the dropdown?

    Vicks Rocz wrote:
    >> > why do you get to determine the text style, and
    >> > color, etc., that I see on MY computer?

    >> I was talking about emails, not NG messages.

    > For emails, "why do you get to determine the text style, and color,
    > etc., that I see on MY computer?" :-)

    I don't, I've never emailed you (or Ron) ;-)

    Amongst all the people I email with (family, friends and colleagues)
    there aren't any people obsessed with html or plain text. Everyone uses
    html (all 200 of them).

    It's not like I'm creating hideous color and style combinations. I just
    like the freedom to choose Verdana instead of Times New Roman, and the
    ability to choose Courier New when I'm showing computer software code.

    ~dd

  14. Re: is it possible to remove fonts from the dropdown?

    On 7/7/2007 06:35 PM India Time, _d d_ wrote:

    >>> I was talking about emails, not NG messages.

    >> For emails, "why do you get to determine the text style, and color,
    >> etc., that I see on MY computer?" :-)

    > I don't, I've never emailed you (or Ron) ;-)

    Yeah, that is why I feel so underpriviledged.

    > Amongst all the people I email with (family, friends and colleagues)
    > there aren't any people obsessed with html or plain text. Everyone uses
    > html (all 200 of them).

    Oh. They are obsessed with HTML. :-)

    > It's not like I'm creating hideous color and style combinations. I just
    > like the freedom to choose Verdana instead of Times New Roman,

    You are right about Verdana, and I don't know whether you know it or not
    (or whether I know it wrongly) that Verdana and Tahoma are two fonts
    specially designed for the computer terminal so the display is supposed
    to come out best in either of these fonts. (I wonder how is there two
    best fonts then?)

    If you have ever gone to Tools - Options - Display - Fonts, you would
    have known that you can set the fonts of mails/ posts composed by you.

    I have put
    Proportional: Serif
    Serif: Verdana
    Sans-serif: Tahoma
    Monospace: courier New

    So, in plain text I am happily typing in Verdana, I guess, instead of
    Times New Roman which, I agree with you, should included in Guinness
    Book of world records as the ugliest fonts humans have designed.

    So, Earth doesn't need to capitulate to Martians if one uses Plain text.

    > and the
    > ability to choose Courier New when I'm showing computer software code.
    >
    > ~dd

    Uh, ho. My calculator shows Verdana and Courier New totaling as 2 and
    not 4 fonts. Change the batteries of your calci.

    Why use monospace for computer software code? Are you a Fortran or Cobol
    programmer who has to count columns?

    (I think we can continue. Someone just told me the other day that there
    is no moderator on mozilla ngs. ;0) )
    --
    Vicks

  15. Re: is it possible to remove fonts from the dropdown?

    Vicks Rocz wrote:
    > You are right about Verdana, and I don't know whether you know it or not
    > (or whether I know it wrongly) that Verdana and Tahoma are two fonts
    > specially designed for the computer terminal so the display is supposed
    > to come out best in either of these fonts. (I wonder how is there two
    > best fonts then?)

    If Bill Gates wants there to be two best fonts then we must abide by his
    decision. Makes you wonder though, why doesn't he use either of those
    fonts on his most popular screen - the blue screen of death :-)

    > If you have ever gone to Tools - Options - Display - Fonts, you would
    > have known that you can set the fonts of mails/ posts composed by you.
    > I have put
    > Proportional: Serif
    > Serif: Verdana
    > Sans-serif: Tahoma
    > Monospace: courier New

    I've spent many a fun weekend in Tools-Options-Display-Fonts. Spooky
    that I came up with almost the same settings too (I have Verdana where
    you have Tahoma). Not that I ever knew what Serif or Sans-serif means. I
    guess I'll google it one day. In fact, the foo fighters are on the Live
    Earth gig right now (hence I'm on the computer, because they suck) so
    what better time than now.

    > Times New Roman which, I agree with you, should included in Guinness
    > Book of world records as the ugliest fonts humans have designed.

    We all need something to hate. Times New Roman fills that role quite well.

    > Uh, ho. My calculator shows Verdana and Courier New totaling as 2 and
    > not 4 fonts. Change the batteries of your calci.

    I'm gonna quit using that abacus. I thought two red balls meant 4.

    > Why use monospace for computer software code? Are you a Fortran or Cobol
    > programmer who has to count columns?

    It makes the code stand out amongst text in emails, and makes it all
    line up nicely. OK? Geeeez, talk about the font police. At least I don't
    need a calculator to count to 4. I mean 2. OK I do need a calculator :-P

    > (I think we can continue. Someone just told me the other day that there
    > is no moderator on mozilla ngs. ;0) )

    Just you try top-posting, the moderators will come out of the woodwork
    in 2 seconds flat.

    Oh great, the foo fighters finally finished :-)

    ~dd

  16. Re: is it possible to remove fonts from the dropdown?

    d d wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>> I'd rather trash my computer and live in a cave ;-)
    >>> Plain text belongs in the 80's

    >> Sorry, but plain text belongs in newsgroups.
    > > why do you get to determine the text style, and
    > > color, etc., that I see on MY computer?

    > Totally agree with you.
    >
    > I was talking about emails, not NG messages.
    >
    > ~dd

    I allow HTML in email, simply because I get advertising from some places
    that I want to do business with, and they all seem to think they have to
    send pictures of their merchandise. Imagine that! Generally, I much
    prefer plain text for email, as it is more efficient.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  17. Re: is it possible to remove fonts from the dropdown?

    Vicks Rocz wrote:
    > On 7/7/2007 05:19 PM India Time, _d d_ wrote:
    >
    >> Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>> Sorry, but plain text belongs in newsgroups.
    >> > why do you get to determine the text style, and
    >> > color, etc., that I see on MY computer?

    >> Totally agree with you.
    >>
    >> I was talking about emails, not NG messages.
    >>
    >> ~dd

    > For emails, "why do you get to determine the text style, and color,
    > etc., that I see on MY computer?" :-)

    I allow it for commercial emails for those companies that I do business
    with. However, very few are allowed to display their images without
    specific permission....

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  18. Re: is it possible to remove fonts from the dropdown?

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > d d wrote:
    >> Vicks Rocz wrote:
    >>> Go for Plain text composing and you will be using only single font
    >>> and all other fonts will disappear. :-)

    >> I'd rather trash my computer and live in a cave ;-)
    >>
    >> Plain text belongs in the 80's
    >>
    >> ~dd

    > Sorry, but plain text belongs in newsgroups. Take a look at the message
    > source for a fairly simple HTML message, and compare it to plain text.
    > The imagine that message 1 billion times, and consider the cost of
    > storage, and transmission time for all those excess bytes that carry no
    > information. Beside, why do you get to determine the text style, and
    > color, etc., that I see on MY computer?

    HTML mail if your just using, Bold, Underline, italic and nice
    and for me its easier to read provide the font size used is not too small.

    Its when you get to using colored backgrounds and inserting audio,
    video, or even graphics that space used goes up.

    Phillip M. Jones, CET mailtojones@kimbanet.com
    If it's "fixed", don't "break it"! http://www.vpea.org

  19. Re: is it possible to remove fonts from the dropdown?

    On 7/7/2007 2:54 PM On a whim, Phillip Jones, CET pounded out on the
    keyboard

    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> d d wrote:
    >>> I'd rather trash my computer and live in a cave ;-)
    >>>
    >>> Plain text belongs in the 80's
    >>>
    >>> ~dd

    >> Sorry, but plain text belongs in newsgroups. Take a look at the message
    >> source for a fairly simple HTML message, and compare it to plain text.
    >> The imagine that message 1 billion times, and consider the cost of
    >> storage, and transmission time for all those excess bytes that carry no
    >> information. Beside, why do you get to determine the text style, and
    >> color, etc., that I see on MY computer?
    >>

    > HTML mail if your just using, Bold, Underline, italic and nice
    > and for me its easier to read provide the font size used is not too small.
    >
    > Its when you get to using colored backgrounds and inserting audio,
    > video, or even graphics that space used goes up.

    Using HTML in any way could almost double the size of a file as opposed
    to plain text depending on the formatting used, even if you just used
    the items stated. Color backgrounds won't add much more other than the
    simple background code (although stationary would add more because of
    the graphics).

    And sending in HTML & plain text increases it even further, since both
    are included separately.

    --
    Terry R.

  20. Re: is it possible to remove fonts from the dropdown?

    Terry R. wrote:
    > On 7/7/2007 2:54 PM On a whim, Phillip Jones, CET pounded out on the
    > keyboard
    >
    >> Ron Hunter wrote:

    >>> Sorry, but plain text belongs in newsgroups. Take a look at the
    >>> message source for a fairly simple HTML message, and compare it to
    >>> plain text. The imagine that message 1 billion times, and consider
    >>> the cost of storage, and transmission time for all those excess bytes
    >>> that carry no information. Beside, why do you get to determine the
    >>> text style, and color, etc., that I see on MY computer?
    >>>

    >> HTML mail if your just using, Bold, Underline, italic and nice
    >> and for me its easier to read provide the font size used is not too
    >> small.
    >>
    >> Its when you get to using colored backgrounds and inserting audio,
    >> video, or even graphics that space used goes up.
    >>

    > Using HTML in any way could almost double the size of a file as opposed
    > to plain text depending on the formatting used, even if you just used
    > the items stated. Color backgrounds won't add much more other than the
    > simple background code (although stationary would add more because of
    > the graphics).
    >
    > And sending in HTML & plain text increases it even further, since both
    > are included separately.

    If I am going to send I'm either going to send either/or not both. I try
    not to send html to Newsgroups in HTML unless I am answering in kind to
    a person that posted HTML or to prove a particular message with a very
    short message/reply to provide an example.

    But I know people that love HTML. and I like it as well.