Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ? - Mozilla ; On 7/9/2007 12:23 AM On a whim, Ron Hunter pounded out on the keyboard > Terry R. wrote: >> On 7/8/2007 1:54 PM On a whim, Ken Whiton pounded out on the keyboard >> >>> *-* On Sun, 08 Jul ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 81 to 95 of 95

  1. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    On 7/9/2007 12:23 AM On a whim, Ron Hunter pounded out on the keyboard

    > Terry R. wrote:
    >> On 7/8/2007 1:54 PM On a whim, Ken Whiton pounded out on the keyboard
    >>
    >>> *-* On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 03:07:11 -0500,
    >>> *-* In Article aM2dnQLnCp6yBg3bnZ2dnUVZ_j-dnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    >>> *-* Ron Hunter wrote
    >>> *-* About Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    >>> [ ... ]

    >>> Nir posted the following link in response to a similar question
    >>> from stef last month:
    >>>
    >>> http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...5946d1dbe6dc62
    >>>

    >>> She responded that it "works like a charm" so Terry (and Ron if you're
    >>> also interested) might want to give it a try.
    >>>
    >>> Ken Whiton
    >>>
    >>> FIDO: 1:132/152
    >>> InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

    >> Thanks Ken. Exactly what I was looking for. I tried
    >> FolderLocationControl (what it's called in MozillaZine KB), and
    >> FolderLocation (what it's called in Customize), but not locationFolders.
    >> Why it's named that I guess we'll never know. 25em is also the perfect
    >> width for me.
    >>

    > If find the default width is quite adequate for me. The only problem I
    > have with it is that it seems to get 'stuck' sometimes, and I have to
    > click off of the dropdown, and try it again. Maybe once or twice a
    > week. VERY minor annoyance.

    I've found the same thing. And if I click on a newsgroup and press N to
    go to the next message (as I can when Classic view is set), it jumps to
    another newsgroup instead. I have to click in the message pane first.
    Not sure I like that behavior.

    --
    Terry R.

  2. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > The Real Bev wrote:
    >> Ron Hunter wrote:

    >>> Try moving the mouse pointer to one of the toolbars, in an empty
    >>> space, and right-click. You should get a 'toolbox' dialog. I don't
    >>> see that being left out of the Linux version.

    >> I get 'Customize...' which customizes the toolbars, adding or
    >> subtracting functions/icons/toolbars. Nothing at all about the folder
    >> pane. Does it matter that I have Folderpane Tools installed?
    >>

    > It might, also be sure you scroll the toolbox, to make sure it isn't
    > hiding at the bottom....
    > It doesn't actually say anything about the folder pane, just 'folder
    > location', or similar.

    Repeat: there is no "toolbox". Just a thing which adds/removes
    icons/functions from the toolbars. What else does the "toolbox" contain?

    66666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666 66666666
    Cthulhu for President in 2008. Why vote for a lesser evil?

  3. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    On 7/9/2007 9:57 PM On a whim, The Real Bev pounded out on the keyboard

    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:

    >>> I get 'Customize...' which customizes the toolbars, adding or
    >>> subtracting functions/icons/toolbars. Nothing at all about the folder
    >>> pane. Does it matter that I have Folderpane Tools installed?
    >>>

    >> It might, also be sure you scroll the toolbox, to make sure it isn't
    >> hiding at the bottom....
    >> It doesn't actually say anything about the folder pane, just 'folder
    >> location', or similar.

    > Repeat: there is no "toolbox". Just a thing which adds/removes
    > icons/functions from the toolbars. What else does the "toolbox" contain?

    I'm guessing the window with the icons/functions is the "toolbox" Ron is
    referring to, because I don't have anything but that window either.

    --
    Terry R.

  4. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    On 09.07.2007 03:31, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Terry R. to
    generate the following:? :
    > On 7/8/2007 1:54 PM On a whim, Ken Whiton pounded out on the keyboard
    >

    >> *-* On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 03:07:11 -0500,
    >> *-* In Article aM2dnQLnCp6yBg3bnZ2dnUVZ_j-dnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    >> *-* Ron Hunter wrote
    >> *-* About Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    >> [ ... ]

    >>> That probably is possible with entries in the .css chrome file, but I
    >>> wouldn't have a clue how to do it.
    >>>

    >> Nir posted the following link in response to a similar question
    >> from stef last month:
    >>
    >> http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...5946d1dbe6dc62
    >>
    >> She responded that it "works like a charm" so Terry (and Ron if you're
    >> also interested) might want to give it a try.
    >>
    >> Ken Whiton
    >>
    >> FIDO: 1:132/152
    >> InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)
    >>

    > Thanks Ken. Exactly what I was looking for. I tried
    > FolderLocationControl (what it's called in MozillaZine KB), and
    > FolderLocation (what it's called in Customize), but not locationFolders.
    > Why it's named that I guess we'll never know. 25em is also the
    > perfect width for me.

    easy, Terry! It's like schoolbooks for kids... on page 21, line four,
    word 12... change "and" to read "also" - and buy a new edition!

    The change probably qualifies for an update/upgrade of the version (and
    call it security)

    reg

  5. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    On 7/8/2007 9:31 PM , Thunderbird leader Terry R. by teletype announce :
    > Thanks Ken. Exactly what I was looking for. I tried
    > FolderLocationControl (what it's called in MozillaZine KB), and
    > FolderLocation (what it's called in Customize), but not locationFolders.
    > Why it's named that I guess we'll never know. 25em is also the
    > perfect width for me.

    To your naming question I will guess the answer is to avoid DOM naming
    conflicts between Node names and script function names.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  6. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    On 7/10/2007 12:57 AM , Thunderbird leader The Real Bev by teletype
    announce :
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> he Real Bev wrote:

    >>> I get 'Customize...' which customizes the toolbars, adding or
    >>> subtracting functions/icons/toolbars. Nothing at all about the folder
    >>> pane. Does it matter that I have Folderpane Tools installed?
    >>>

    >> It might, also be sure you scroll the toolbox, to make sure it isn't
    >> hiding at the bottom....
    >> It doesn't actually say anything about the folder pane, just 'folder
    >> location', or similar.
    >>

    > Repeat: there is no "toolbox". Just a thing which adds/removes
    > icons/functions from the toolbars. What else does the "toolbox" contain?

    That storage window for icons is called the Toolbar Pallet. "Toolbox"
    is the developers name for a library of code used to build the tool
    bars. In the DOM of the chrome "Toolbox" is used as a node name for a
    large box containing the menu bar and tool bars.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  7. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    Ron K. wrote:

    > On 7/10/2007 12:57 AM , Thunderbird leader The Real Bev by teletype
    > announce :
    >> Ron Hunter wrote:

    >>> It might, also be sure you scroll the toolbox, to make sure it isn't
    >>> hiding at the bottom....
    >>> It doesn't actually say anything about the folder pane, just 'folder
    >>> location', or similar.

    >> Repeat: there is no "toolbox". Just a thing which adds/removes
    >> icons/functions from the toolbars. What else does the "toolbox" contain?
    >>

    > That storage window for icons is called the Toolbar Pallet. "Toolbox"
    > is the developers name for a library of code used to build the tool
    > bars. In the DOM of the chrome "Toolbox" is used as a node name for a
    > large box containing the menu bar and tool bars.

    OK, let me rephrase my question. I understand that TB2 has an option to
    make the list of accounts/folders a drop-down thingy rather than an
    always-there pane. How does the ordinary non-programming user exercise this
    option? Extra credit for examples!

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    Rule 18: Always tip your hat before striking a lady.

  8. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    On 7/11/2007 12:45 PM , Thunderbird leader The Real Bev by teletype
    announce :
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >

    >> On 7/10/2007 12:57 AM , Thunderbird leader The Real Bev by teletype
    >> announce :

    >>> Repeat: there is no "toolbox". Just a thing which adds/removes
    >>> icons/functions from the toolbars. What else does the "toolbox" contain?
    >>>

    >> That storage window for icons is called the Toolbar Pallet. "Toolbox"
    >> is the developers name for a library of code used to build the tool
    >> bars. In the DOM of the chrome "Toolbox" is used as a node name for a
    >> large box containing the menu bar and tool bars.
    >>

    > OK, let me rephrase my question. I understand that TB2 has an option to
    > make the list of accounts/folders a drop-down thingy rather than an
    > always-there pane. How does the ordinary non-programming user exercise this
    > option? Extra credit for examples!

    Copied from a sub-thread of this thread. Last reply was by Terry R.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  9. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    Ron K. wrote:

    > On 7/11/2007 12:45 PM , Thunderbird leader The Real Bev by teletype
    > announce :
    >> Ron K. wrote:
    >>> On 7/10/2007 12:57 AM , Thunderbird leader The Real Bev by teletype
    >>> announce :

    >>> That storage window for icons is called the Toolbar Pallet. "Toolbox"
    >>> is the developers name for a library of code used to build the tool
    >>> bars. In the DOM of the chrome "Toolbox" is used as a node name for a
    >>> large box containing the menu bar and tool bars.

    >> OK, let me rephrase my question. I understand that TB2 has an option to
    >> make the list of accounts/folders a drop-down thingy rather than an
    >> always-there pane. How does the ordinary non-programming user exercise this
    >> option? Extra credit for examples!
    >>

    > Copied from a sub-thread of this thread. Last reply was by Terry R.

    I did that before. Made no change at all. I give up. Actually, since my
    list of accounts/groups/folders is three screens long and I have it set to
    turn color when new messages come in, I've decided it's purely of academic
    interest.

    Never mind.

    >>> Thanks Ken. Exactly what I was looking for. I tried
    >>> FolderLocationControl (what it's called in MozillaZine KB), and
    >>> FolderLocation (what it's called in Customize), but not locationFolders.
    >>> Why it's named that I guess we'll never know. 25em is also the perfect
    >>> width for me.

  10. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    On 7/11/2007 10:21 AM On a whim, The Real Bev pounded out on the keyboard

    > Ron K. wrote:
    >
    >> On 7/11/2007 12:45 PM , Thunderbird leader The Real Bev by teletype
    >> announce :

    >>> OK, let me rephrase my question. I understand that TB2 has an option to
    >>> make the list of accounts/folders a drop-down thingy rather than an
    >>> always-there pane. How does the ordinary non-programming user exercise this
    >>> option? Extra credit for examples!
    >>>

    >> Copied from a sub-thread of this thread. Last reply was by Terry R.

    > I did that before. Made no change at all. I give up. Actually, since my
    > list of accounts/groups/folders is three screens long and I have it set to
    > turn color when new messages come in, I've decided it's purely of academic
    > interest.
    >
    > Never mind.

    So you're saying the Folder Location isn't even an option for you,
    correct? Something must be awry in your Customize menu if the drop down
    is not there. Or maybe you placed it into another Toolbar without
    knowing (and it's not viewable)? That's the only reason it would be
    missing, is if you already placed it somewhere.

    All I did was right click on my Mail Toolbar and select Customize. Then
    I scrolled to Folder Location and dropped it to the far left of my Mail
    Toolbar. Then I added the userChrome.css hack to widen it:
    #locationFolders {min-width: 25em !important;}

    IMO, it's not ready for prime time. Many times I will open the drop
    down, scroll to a folder and it appears to hang. The most annoying
    thing is if I select a newsgroup, I have to click on the thread pane
    first before using N, otherwise the selection jumps to another group.
    In the Folder pane, you can click once on the group and press N for the
    1st unread message, and I've gotten used to that.

    --
    Terry R.

  11. Installing PalmSync with MR Local Install

  12. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    On 7/10/2007 6:44 AM, Terry R. wrote:
    > On 7/9/2007 9:57 PM On a whim, The Real Bev pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> Ron Hunter wrote:

    >>> It might, also be sure you scroll the toolbox, to make sure it isn't
    >>> hiding at the bottom....
    >>> It doesn't actually say anything about the folder pane, just 'folder
    >>> location', or similar.

    >> Repeat: there is no "toolbox". Just a thing which adds/removes
    >> icons/functions from the toolbars. What else does the "toolbox" contain?
    >>

    > I'm guessing the window with the icons/functions is the "toolbox" Ron is
    > referring to, because I don't have anything but that window either.

    Move the drop down box labelled "Folder Location"

    --
    Irwin

  13. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    On 7/12/2007 3:32 PM On a whim, Irwin Greenwald pounded out on the keyboard

    > On 7/10/2007 6:44 AM, Terry R. wrote:

    >>> Repeat: there is no "toolbox". Just a thing which adds/removes
    >>> icons/functions from the toolbars. What else does the "toolbox" contain?
    >>>

    >> I'm guessing the window with the icons/functions is the "toolbox" Ron is
    >> referring to, because I don't have anything but that window either.
    >>

    > Move the drop down box labelled "Folder Location"

    Huh? I know where "Folder Location" is as it's on my toolbar. We were
    trying to clarify what was being called a "toolbox". I suggested to Bev
    that when you right click on a toolbar and select Customize, the window
    that opens is what Ron is calling the "toolbox".

    --
    Terry R.

  14. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:

    > On 7/10/2007 6:44 AM, Terry R. wrote:

    >>> Repeat: there is no "toolbox". Just a thing which adds/removes
    >>> icons/functions from the toolbars. What else does the "toolbox" contain?

    >> I'm guessing the window with the icons/functions is the "toolbox" Ron is
    >> referring to, because I don't have anything but that window either.
    >>

    > Move the drop down box labelled "Folder Location"

    I don't have anything like that. I'm beginning to feel like I'm living on a
    different planet or something...

    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However,
    this is not necessarily a good idea...."

  15. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    On 7/12/2007 7:15 PM , Thunderbird leader The Real Bev by teletype
    announce :
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >

    >> On 7/10/2007 6:44 AM, Terry R. wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 7/9/2007 9:57 PM On a whim, The Real Bev pounded out on the keyboard

    >>> I'm guessing the window with the icons/functions is the "toolbox" Ron is
    >>> referring to, because I don't have anything but that window either.
    >>>

    >> Move the drop down box labelled "Folder Location"
    >>

    > I don't have anything like that. I'm beginning to feel like I'm living on a
    > different planet or something...

    Women and Linux are from Venus and Men and Windows are from Mars. To
    paraphrase Louis Bagliea, a psychologist who did a series on PBS a few
    years ago.