Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ? - Mozilla ; Irwin Greenwald wrote: > On 7/6/2007 Ron Hunter wrote: >> For me, the most useful feature of TB 2 is the ability to move the >> 'folder pane' to a drop-down menu. I see no reason to take up 1/4 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 95

Thread: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

  1. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > On 7/6/2007 Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> For me, the most useful feature of TB 2 is the ability to move the
    >> 'folder pane' to a drop-down menu. I see no reason to take up 1/4 of
    >> my screen space for information needed only momentarily when changing
    >> newsgroups or email folders.
    >>

    > Ron: how do you do that?
    >

    Look in the toolbox for customize. Then drag the 'folder location' box
    onto the toolbar where ever you want it. Then you can turn off the
    'folder pane'.


    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  2. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >> On 06.07.2007 17:12, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused th to
    >> generate the following:? :
    >>> Vicks Rocz wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On 7/5/2007 05:17 PM India Time, _squaredancer_ wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> On 05.07.2007 11:54, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused d d to
    >>>>> generate the following:? :
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> I see messages here that start with "I'm using TB1.5 and
    >>>>>> doing this, this and this, but this doesn't work". I can't
    >>>>>> help but wonder why they don't upgrade to 2.0.0.4.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> ~dd
    >>>>>>
    >>>>> because....
    >>>>>
    >>>>> some of us believe in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
    >>>>>
    >>>>> some of us actually read the difficulties that *hundreds* of posts
    >>>>> indicate
    >>>>>
    >>>>> some of us *DO NOT WANT* the bells and whistles that the devs claim
    >>>>> to be "security updates"
    >>>>>
    >>>>> some of us ask themselves "why the hell do those twits update and
    >>>>> then complain here about all the problems the update brought them"?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> reason enough??????
    >>>>>
    >>>>> reg - very happy with 1.5.0.9
    >>>>>
    >>>> Good list.
    >>>>
    >>>> I update to newer versions after some times they get released so
    >>>> that I give time to my extensions to become compatible.
    >>>>
    >>>> However, I am still not sure that I have seen anything really NEW
    >>>> AND USEFUL in TB 2* that was not there in TB 1.5. All that security
    >>>> updates etc. might be important but they are actually patches and
    >>>> they should not have called a new version release, otherwise WINDOWS
    >>>> with its almost daily security would have gone to a version counting
    >>>> the number of since it has been released.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> Windows is only updated once per month nowadays (second Monday each
    >>> month it seems), and by just counting the number of bugs it seems
    >>> that FF has significantly more bugs than IE (not mentioning some
    >>> FF/TB bugs that seem to take ages to correct).
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >> I recall reading (I think that Chris I posted it) that the TB and FF
    >> bugs are *ONLY* corrected/cured IF AND WHEN they affect the *current*
    >> release version. Bugs that were encountered in previous versions are
    >> left to die a natural death, which is why there are still version
    >> 1.5.* bugs on the list that are 3-5 years old! No chance that they
    >> will ever be seen to!
    >> I wonder if this is why the Versions are so fast in being upgraded,
    >> instead of more sub-versions???
    >>
    >> reg

    >
    > I am not sure there is any real standard as to when a version gets from,
    > say 1.5 to 2 or 2.3 to 3.0. Addition of major new features has
    > something to do with it, but quantifying this is pretty difficult, from
    > the outside, looking in.
    > Perhaps someone can enlighten us.


    There were loads of significant changes in TB 2.0:

    http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/rumbl...7/03/tb_2.html


  3. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    On 7/6/2007 3:06 PM On a whim, Terry R. pounded out on the keyboard

    > On 7/6/2007 1:05 AM On a whim, Ron Hunter pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> clay wrote:
    >>> Vicks Rocz wrote:
    >>>> On 7/5/2007 05:17 PM India Time, _squaredancer_ wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On 05.07.2007 11:54, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused d d to
    >>>>> generate the following:? :
    >>>>>> I see messages here that start with "I'm using TB1.5 and
    >>>>>> doing this, this and this, but this doesn't work". I can't
    >>>>>> help but wonder why they don't upgrade to 2.0.0.4.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> ~dd
    >>>>>>
    >>>>> because....
    >>>>>
    >>>>> some of us believe in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
    >>>>>
    >>>>> some of us actually read the difficulties that *hundreds* of posts
    >>>>> indicate
    >>>>>
    >>>>> some of us *DO NOT WANT* the bells and whistles that the devs claim
    >>>>> to be "security updates"
    >>>>>
    >>>>> some of us ask themselves "why the hell do those twits update and
    >>>>> then complain here about all the problems the update brought them"?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> reason enough??????
    >>>>>
    >>>>> reg - very happy with 1.5.0.9
    >>>> Good list.
    >>>>
    >>>> I update to newer versions after some times they get released so that
    >>>> I give time to my extensions to become compatible.
    >>>>
    >>>> However, I am still not sure that I have seen anything really NEW AND
    >>>> USEFUL in TB 2* that was not there in TB 1.5. All that security
    >>>> updates etc. might be important but they are actually patches and they
    >>>> should not have called a new version release, otherwise WINDOWS with
    >>>> its almost daily security would have gone to a version counting the
    >>>> number of since it has been released.
    >>>>
    >>>> I feel all that noise about something great coming TB 2.0 was
    >>>> unjustified and, in a way, TB 2.0 has just fooled us by giving the
    >>>> same old wine in the old bottle just changing the label on the bottle.
    >>>>
    >>> Something got changed in 2.0 which, for me anyway, is one of the more
    >>> apparent 'fixes' that I've ever seen in a new release.
    >>> I leave TB open 24-7 on my work box. Occasionally I have to close it for
    >>> one reason or another.
    >>> All prior versions of TB would run on for 5-10 minutes after closing the
    >>> GUI.
    >>> V2.x closes immediately. Usually faster than I can get task manager open
    >>> to see if it's gone.
    >>> That by itself is worth the price of admission.
    >>>

    >> For me, the most useful feature of TB 2 is the ability to move the
    >> 'folder pane' to a drop-down menu. I see no reason to take up 1/4 of my
    >> screen space for information needed only momentarily when changing
    >> newsgroups or email folders.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Does anyone have the hack to change the width of that folder pane? It's
    > too narrow for me, otherwise I'd probably use it too.
    >


    I guess the drop down dialog is called Folder Location Control, not
    folder pane...

    --
    Terry R.
    Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
    Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.

  4. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    On 7/6/2007 8:12 AM On a whim, th pounded out on the keyboard

    > Vicks Rocz wrote:
    >> On 7/5/2007 05:17 PM India Time, _squaredancer_ wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 05.07.2007 11:54, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused d d to
    >>> generate the following:? :
    >>>> I see messages here that start with "I'm using TB1.5 and
    >>>> doing this, this and this, but this doesn't work". I can't
    >>>> help but wonder why they don't upgrade to 2.0.0.4.
    >>>>
    >>>> ~dd
    >>>>
    >>> because....
    >>>
    >>> some of us believe in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
    >>>
    >>> some of us actually read the difficulties that *hundreds* of posts
    >>> indicate
    >>>
    >>> some of us *DO NOT WANT* the bells and whistles that the devs claim to
    >>> be "security updates"
    >>>
    >>> some of us ask themselves "why the hell do those twits update and then
    >>> complain here about all the problems the update brought them"?
    >>>
    >>> reason enough??????
    >>>
    >>> reg - very happy with 1.5.0.9

    >> Good list.
    >>
    >> I update to newer versions after some times they get released so that I
    >> give time to my extensions to become compatible.
    >>
    >> However, I am still not sure that I have seen anything really NEW AND
    >> USEFUL in TB 2* that was not there in TB 1.5. All that security updates
    >> etc. might be important but they are actually patches and they should
    >> not have called a new version release, otherwise WINDOWS with its almost
    >> daily security would have gone to a version counting the number of since
    >> it has been released.

    >
    > Windows is only updated once per month nowadays (second Monday each
    > month it seems), and by just counting the number of bugs it seems that
    > FF has significantly more bugs than IE (not mentioning some FF/TB bugs
    > that seem to take ages to correct).
    >


    Yeah, kind of like that ANI bug that was recently fixed in IE that had
    been known for years....MS jumps right on it, right?

    --
    Terry R.
    Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
    Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.

  5. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    On 7/6/2007 08:42 PM India Time, _th_ wrote:

    > Vicks Rocz wrote:
    >> On 7/5/2007 05:17 PM India Time, _squaredancer_ wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 05.07.2007 11:54, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused d d to
    >>> generate the following:? :
    >>>> I see messages here that start with "I'm using TB1.5 and
    >>>> doing this, this and this, but this doesn't work". I can't
    >>>> help but wonder why they don't upgrade to 2.0.0.4.
    >>>>
    >>>> ~dd
    >>>>
    >>> because....
    >>>
    >>> some of us believe in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
    >>>
    >>> some of us actually read the difficulties that *hundreds* of posts
    >>> indicate
    >>>
    >>> some of us *DO NOT WANT* the bells and whistles that the devs claim to
    >>> be "security updates"
    >>>
    >>> some of us ask themselves "why the hell do those twits update and then
    >>> complain here about all the problems the update brought them"?
    >>>
    >>> reason enough??????
    >>>
    >>> reg - very happy with 1.5.0.9

    >> Good list.
    >>
    >> I update to newer versions after some times they get released so that I
    >> give time to my extensions to become compatible.
    >>
    >> However, I am still not sure that I have seen anything really NEW AND
    >> USEFUL in TB 2* that was not there in TB 1.5. All that security updates
    >> etc. might be important but they are actually patches and they should
    >> not have called a new version release, otherwise WINDOWS with its almost
    >> daily security would have gone to a version counting the number of since
    >> it has been released.

    >
    > Windows is only updated once per month nowadays (second Monday each
    > month it seems),


    Oh. So they are working less on updates, that is why they get all the
    time to put Window Genuineness Validation check to more and more free
    downloads from ms site. Empty minds devils workshop.

    > and by just counting the number of bugs it seems that
    > FF has significantly more bugs than IE (not mentioning some FF/TB bugs
    > that seem to take ages to correct).


    I never used ie so I don't have data to refute your point but that might
    not mean that your point becomes ipso facto correct.

    There is only one issue on which IE defeats FF that is FF allows cookies
    to be stolen that can't be stolen in IE.
    --
    Vicks

  6. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    I can't believe this thread is still going.

    I started it back in the 90's, I think, or at least it feels like that
    long (that's what she said [running joke from TV show "the office"])...

    ~dd

  7. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    On 7/7/2007 12:49 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >> On 7/6/2007 Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>> For me, the most useful feature of TB 2 is the ability to move the
    >>> 'folder pane' to a drop-down menu. I see no reason to take up 1/4 of
    >>> my screen space for information needed only momentarily when changing
    >>> newsgroups or email folders.
    >>>

    >> Ron: how do you do that?
    >>

    > Look in the toolbox for customize. Then drag the 'folder location' box
    > onto the toolbar where ever you want it. Then you can turn off the
    > 'folder pane'.
    >
    >

    Thanks Terry & Ron; That was simple once I figured out what you were
    saying. Not sure I like it, but I'll give it some time!

    --
    Irwin

    Please do not use my email address to make requests for help.

    Knowledge Base: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Main_Page

  8. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    On 7/7/2007 4:05 PM On a whim, Irwin Greenwald pounded out on the keyboard

    > On 7/7/2007 12:49 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >>> On 7/6/2007 Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>>> For me, the most useful feature of TB 2 is the ability to move the
    >>>> 'folder pane' to a drop-down menu. I see no reason to take up 1/4 of
    >>>> my screen space for information needed only momentarily when changing
    >>>> newsgroups or email folders.
    >>>>
    >>> Ron: how do you do that?
    >>>

    >> Look in the toolbox for customize. Then drag the 'folder location' box
    >> onto the toolbar where ever you want it. Then you can turn off the
    >> 'folder pane'.
    >>
    >>

    > Thanks Terry & Ron; That was simple once I figured out what you were
    > saying. Not sure I like it, but I'll give it some time!
    >


    If I could increase the width of it, it would work better for me.

    --
    Terry R.
    Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
    Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.

  9. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> Star date 7/5/2007 5:54 AM by teletype, Thunderbird leader d d called
    >> the control tower to announce :
    >>> I see messages here that start with "I'm using TB1.5 and
    >>> doing this, this and this, but this doesn't work". I can't
    >>> help but wonder why they don't upgrade to 2.0.0.4.

    >>
    >> Because it is still not available through the official update channel.
    >> Until it is there are thousands who do not know that Tb 2.x.x even exists.
    >>

    > Say what? Turn on notification of updates, not automatic updates, and
    > you should get a notice.


    That's the way I had it set, but I was never notified and when I asked
    specifically it said "no updates". So I finally did it by hand.

    --
    Cheers, Bev (Happy Linux User #85683, Slackware 11.0)
    ================================================== ===========
    "What's truly sad is that your vote counts the same as mine."
    -- S. Brown


  10. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    Terry R. wrote:
    > On 7/7/2007 4:05 PM On a whim, Irwin Greenwald pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> On 7/7/2007 12:49 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>> Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >>>> On 7/6/2007 Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>>>> For me, the most useful feature of TB 2 is the ability to move the
    >>>>> 'folder pane' to a drop-down menu. I see no reason to take up 1/4
    >>>>> of my screen space for information needed only momentarily when
    >>>>> changing newsgroups or email folders.
    >>>>>
    >>>> Ron: how do you do that?
    >>>>
    >>> Look in the toolbox for customize. Then drag the 'folder location'
    >>> box onto the toolbar where ever you want it. Then you can turn off
    >>> the 'folder pane'.
    >>>
    >>>

    >> Thanks Terry & Ron; That was simple once I figured out what you were
    >> saying. Not sure I like it, but I'll give it some time!
    >>

    >
    > If I could increase the width of it, it would work better for me.
    >

    That probably is possible with entries in the .css chrome file, but I
    wouldn't have a clue how to do it.


    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  11. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >
    >> On 7/7/2007 12:49 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>> Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >>>> On 7/6/2007 Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>>>> For me, the most useful feature of TB 2 is the ability to move the
    >>>>> 'folder pane' to a drop-down menu. I see no reason to take up 1/4
    >>>>> of my screen space for information needed only momentarily when
    >>>>> changing newsgroups or email folders.
    >>>>>
    >>>> Ron: how do you do that?
    >>>>
    >>> Look in the toolbox for customize. Then drag the 'folder location'
    >>> box onto the toolbar where ever you want it. Then you can turn off
    >>> the 'folder pane'.

    >
    > Duh. I can't find a toolbox, and customizing toolbars isn't it either.
    > Is this another linux difference or am I just partially blind?
    >
    >> Thanks Terry & Ron; That was simple once I figured out what you were
    >> saying. Not sure I like it, but I'll give it some time!

    >

    Try moving the mouse pointer to one of the toolbars, in an empty space,
    and right-click. You should get a 'toolbox' dialog. I don't see that
    being left out of the Linux version.


    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  12. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    On 07.07.2007 00:06, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Terry R. to
    generate the following:? :
    > On 7/6/2007 1:05 AM On a whim, Ron Hunter pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >
    >> clay wrote:
    >>
    >>> Vicks Rocz wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On 7/5/2007 05:17 PM India Time, _squaredancer_ wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> On 05.07.2007 11:54, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused d d to
    >>>>> generate the following:? :
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> I see messages here that start with "I'm using TB1.5 and
    >>>>>> doing this, this and this, but this doesn't work". I can't
    >>>>>> help but wonder why they don't upgrade to 2.0.0.4.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> ~dd
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>> because....
    >>>>>
    >>>>> some of us believe in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"
    >>>>>
    >>>>> some of us actually read the difficulties that *hundreds* of posts
    >>>>> indicate
    >>>>>
    >>>>> some of us *DO NOT WANT* the bells and whistles that the devs claim
    >>>>> to be "security updates"
    >>>>>
    >>>>> some of us ask themselves "why the hell do those twits update and
    >>>>> then complain here about all the problems the update brought them"?
    >>>>>
    >>>>> reason enough??????
    >>>>>
    >>>>> reg - very happy with 1.5.0.9
    >>>>>
    >>>> Good list.
    >>>>
    >>>> I update to newer versions after some times they get released so that
    >>>> I give time to my extensions to become compatible.
    >>>>
    >>>> However, I am still not sure that I have seen anything really NEW AND
    >>>> USEFUL in TB 2* that was not there in TB 1.5. All that security
    >>>> updates etc. might be important but they are actually patches and they
    >>>> should not have called a new version release, otherwise WINDOWS with
    >>>> its almost daily security would have gone to a version counting the
    >>>> number of since it has been released.
    >>>>
    >>>> I feel all that noise about something great coming TB 2.0 was
    >>>> unjustified and, in a way, TB 2.0 has just fooled us by giving the
    >>>> same old wine in the old bottle just changing the label on the bottle.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> Something got changed in 2.0 which, for me anyway, is one of the more
    >>> apparent 'fixes' that I've ever seen in a new release.
    >>> I leave TB open 24-7 on my work box. Occasionally I have to close it for
    >>> one reason or another.
    >>> All prior versions of TB would run on for 5-10 minutes after closing the
    >>> GUI.
    >>> V2.x closes immediately. Usually faster than I can get task manager open
    >>> to see if it's gone.
    >>> That by itself is worth the price of admission.
    >>>
    >>>

    >> For me, the most useful feature of TB 2 is the ability to move the
    >> 'folder pane' to a drop-down menu. I see no reason to take up 1/4 of my
    >> screen space for information needed only momentarily when changing
    >> newsgroups or email folders.
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Does anyone have the hack to change the width of that folder pane? It's
    > too narrow for me, otherwise I'd probably use it too.
    >
    >


    I'm sure that I've read this thing before.... maybe several weeks ago??
    Someone did suggest a hack, but I don't remember who or what!

    reg

  13. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    On 07.07.2007 01:20, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Chris Ilias to
    generate the following:? :
    > On 7/6/07 11:56 AM, _squaredancer_ spoke thusly:
    >
    >> I recall reading (I think that Chris I posted it) that the TB and FF
    >> bugs are *ONLY* corrected/cured IF AND WHEN they affect the *current*
    >> release version. Bugs that were encountered in previous versions are
    >> left to die a natural death, which is why there are still version 1.5.*
    >> bugs on the list that are 3-5 years old!
    >>

    >
    > I don't recall ever saying that. You must be mistaking me for someone
    > else, or misinterpreting something I said. Do you have a link to the post?
    >


    maybe - that's why I wrote...

    (I think that Chris I posted it)


    was a long time ago and (as you probably know by now) I do not keep
    links to old posts!

    reg

  14. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    On 07.07.2007 04:21, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ken Whiton to
    generate the following:? :
    > *-* On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 14:31:57 +0200,
    > *-* In Article oL6dnWwFD6izqxPbnZ2dnUVZ_jSdnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    > *-* squaredancer wrote
    > *-* About Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?
    >
    > [ ... ]
    >
    >
    >> If you would like more screen space, you can reduce the gap between
    >> the vertical offset lines with this in your profiles\ chrome
    >> userContent.css
    >>

    >
    >
    >> blockquote[type=cite] {
    >> padding: 3px ! important;
    >> border-right: none ! important;
    >> }
    >> the padding, set to 3 px is the secret!
    >>

    >
    > I have a variation on that in my userContent.css. In fact, I
    > think I copied it from a post you made a few months ago, in which
    > case, thanks. I kind of like the "balanced" look of having those
    > vertical lines on both sides of the screen, so I omitted the
    > "border-right: none ! important;" stipulation. I also found that the
    > "padding" setting doesn't seem to affect the lines on the right side,
    > and that a value of 4px gives the same spacing on both sides on my
    > system. Again, thanks for providing me with the template.
    >
    > Ken Whiton
    >
    > FIDO: 1:132/152
    > InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)
    >

    we did a lot of "playing around" with stuff lke that, yonks and yonks
    ago - friend Parish was the most prominent offender - pity to not see
    him around any more!

    reg

  15. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    On 7/7/2007 10:27 PM On a whim, The Real Bev pounded out on the keyboard

    > Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >
    >> On 7/7/2007 12:49 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>> Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >>>> On 7/6/2007 Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>>>> For me, the most useful feature of TB 2 is the ability to move the
    >>>>> 'folder pane' to a drop-down menu. I see no reason to take up 1/4 of
    >>>>> my screen space for information needed only momentarily when changing
    >>>>> newsgroups or email folders.
    >>>>>
    >>>> Ron: how do you do that?
    >>>>
    >>> Look in the toolbox for customize. Then drag the 'folder location' box
    >>> onto the toolbar where ever you want it. Then you can turn off the
    >>> 'folder pane'.

    >
    > Duh. I can't find a toolbox, and customizing toolbars isn't it either. Is
    > this another linux difference or am I just partially blind?
    >


    So if you right click on a toolbar and select "Customize", you don't
    have a "Folder location" drop down dialog box there?

    --
    Terry R.
    Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
    Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.

  16. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    *-* On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 03:07:11 -0500,
    *-* In Article aM2dnQLnCp6yBg3bnZ2dnUVZ_j-dnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* Ron Hunter wrote
    *-* About Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    > Terry R. wrote:
    >> On 7/7/2007 4:05 PM On a whim, Irwin Greenwald pounded out on the
    >> keyboard


    >>> On 7/7/2007 12:49 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:


    [ ... ]

    >>>> Look in the toolbox for customize. Then drag the 'folder location'
    >>>> box onto the toolbar where ever you want it. Then you can turn off
    >>>> the 'folder pane'.


    >>> Thanks Terry & Ron; That was simple once I figured out what you were
    >>> saying. Not sure I like it, but I'll give it some time!


    >> If I could increase the width of it, it would work better for me.


    > That probably is possible with entries in the .css chrome file, but I
    > wouldn't have a clue how to do it.


    Nir posted the following link in response to a similar question
    from stef last month:

    http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...5946d1dbe6dc62

    She responded that it "works like a charm" so Terry (and Ron if you're
    also interested) might want to give it a try.

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152
    InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

  17. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    *-* On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 12:14:13 +0200,
    *-* In Article gcKdnf5H9c1_JQ3bnZ2dnUVZ_tPinZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* squaredancer wrote
    *-* About Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    > On 07.07.2007 04:21, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Ken Whiton
    > to generate the following:? :
    >> *-* squaredancer wrote


    [ ... ]

    >>> If you would like more screen space, you can reduce the gap
    >>> between the vertical offset lines with this in your profiles\
    >>> chrome userContent.css


    >>> blockquote[type=cite] {
    >>> padding: 3px ! important;
    >>> border-right: none ! important;
    >>> }
    >>> the padding, set to 3 px is the secret!


    >> I have a variation on that in my userContent.css. In fact, I
    >> think I copied it from a post you made a few months ago, in which
    >> case, thanks. I kind of like the "balanced" look of having those
    >> vertical lines on both sides of the screen, so I omitted the
    >> "border-right: none ! important;" stipulation. I also found that
    >> the "padding" setting doesn't seem to affect the lines on the right
    >> side, and that a value of 4px gives the same spacing on both sides
    >> on my system. Again, thanks for providing me with the template.


    > we did a lot of "playing around" with stuff lke that,


    As I mentioned, it took me some "playing around" with it to get
    it to my liking. I've also done some similar playing around with some
    color settings that have been posted here in the past, and I have more
    to do in that area before I get things completely to my liking.

    > yonks and
    > yonks ago - friend Parish was the most prominent offender - pity to
    > not see him around any more!


    I don't recognize the name, so he must have been before my time
    here (of course I've only been here in the mozilla groups for about
    three or four months).

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152
    InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

  18. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    On 7/8/2007 1:54 PM On a whim, Ken Whiton pounded out on the keyboard

    > *-* On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 03:07:11 -0500,
    > *-* In Article aM2dnQLnCp6yBg3bnZ2dnUVZ_j-dnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    > *-* Ron Hunter wrote
    > *-* About Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?
    >
    >> Terry R. wrote:
    >>> On 7/7/2007 4:05 PM On a whim, Irwin Greenwald pounded out on the
    >>> keyboard

    >
    >>>> On 7/7/2007 12:49 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:

    >
    > [ ... ]
    >
    >>>>> Look in the toolbox for customize. Then drag the 'folder location'
    >>>>> box onto the toolbar where ever you want it. Then you can turn off
    >>>>> the 'folder pane'.

    >
    >>>> Thanks Terry & Ron; That was simple once I figured out what you were
    >>>> saying. Not sure I like it, but I'll give it some time!

    >
    >>> If I could increase the width of it, it would work better for me.

    >
    >> That probably is possible with entries in the .css chrome file, but I
    >> wouldn't have a clue how to do it.

    >
    > Nir posted the following link in response to a similar question
    > from stef last month:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...5946d1dbe6dc62
    >
    > She responded that it "works like a charm" so Terry (and Ron if you're
    > also interested) might want to give it a try.
    >
    > Ken Whiton
    >
    > FIDO: 1:132/152
    > InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)


    Thanks Ken. Exactly what I was looking for. I tried
    FolderLocationControl (what it's called in MozillaZine KB), and
    FolderLocation (what it's called in Customize), but not locationFolders.
    Why it's named that I guess we'll never know. 25em is also the
    perfect width for me.


    --
    Terry R.
    Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
    Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.

  19. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    Terry R. wrote:
    > On 7/8/2007 1:54 PM On a whim, Ken Whiton pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> *-* On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 03:07:11 -0500,
    >> *-* In Article aM2dnQLnCp6yBg3bnZ2dnUVZ_j-dnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    >> *-* Ron Hunter wrote
    >> *-* About Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?
    >>
    >>> Terry R. wrote:
    >>>> On 7/7/2007 4:05 PM On a whim, Irwin Greenwald pounded out on the
    >>>> keyboard

    >>
    >>>>> On 7/7/2007 12:49 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:

    >>
    >> [ ... ]
    >>
    >>>>>> Look in the toolbox for customize. Then drag the 'folder location'
    >>>>>> box onto the toolbar where ever you want it. Then you can turn off
    >>>>>> the 'folder pane'.

    >>
    >>>>> Thanks Terry & Ron; That was simple once I figured out what you were
    >>>>> saying. Not sure I like it, but I'll give it some time!

    >>
    >>>> If I could increase the width of it, it would work better for me.

    >>
    >>> That probably is possible with entries in the .css chrome file, but I
    >>> wouldn't have a clue how to do it.

    >>
    >> Nir posted the following link in response to a similar question
    >> from stef last month:
    >>
    >> http://groups.google.com/group/mozil...5946d1dbe6dc62
    >>
    >>
    >> She responded that it "works like a charm" so Terry (and Ron if you're
    >> also interested) might want to give it a try.
    >>
    >> Ken Whiton
    >>
    >> FIDO: 1:132/152
    >> InterNet: kenwhiton@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)

    >
    > Thanks Ken. Exactly what I was looking for. I tried
    > FolderLocationControl (what it's called in MozillaZine KB), and
    > FolderLocation (what it's called in Customize), but not locationFolders.
    > Why it's named that I guess we'll never know. 25em is also the perfect
    > width for me.
    >
    >

    If find the default width is quite adequate for me. The only problem I
    have with it is that it seems to get 'stuck' sometimes, and I have to
    click off of the dropdown, and try it again. Maybe once or twice a
    week. VERY minor annoyance.


    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  20. Re: Why is anyone still using TB1.5 ?

    The Real Bev wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> The Real Bev wrote:
    >>> Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >>>> On 7/7/2007 12:49 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>>>> Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    >>>>>> On 7/6/2007 Ron Hunter wrote:
    >>>>>>> For me, the most useful feature of TB 2 is the ability to move
    >>>>>>> the 'folder pane' to a drop-down menu. I see no reason to take
    >>>>>>> up 1/4 of my screen space for information needed only momentarily
    >>>>>>> when changing newsgroups or email folders.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>> Ron: how do you do that?
    >>>>>>
    >>>>> Look in the toolbox for customize. Then drag the 'folder location'
    >>>>> box onto the toolbar where ever you want it. Then you can turn off
    >>>>> the 'folder pane'.
    >>>
    >>> Duh. I can't find a toolbox, and customizing toolbars isn't it
    >>> either. Is this another linux difference or am I just partially blind?
    >>>
    >>>> Thanks Terry & Ron; That was simple once I figured out what you
    >>>> were saying. Not sure I like it, but I'll give it some time!
    >>>

    >> Try moving the mouse pointer to one of the toolbars, in an empty
    >> space, and right-click. You should get a 'toolbox' dialog. I don't
    >> see that being left out of the Linux version.

    >
    > I get 'Customize...' which customizes the toolbars, adding or
    > subtracting functions/icons/toolbars. Nothing at all about the folder
    > pane. Does it matter that I have Folderpane Tools installed?
    >

    It might, also be sure you scroll the toolbox, to make sure it isn't
    hiding at the bottom....
    It doesn't actually say anything about the folder pane, just 'folder
    location', or similar.


    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast