Junk Mail Folder Sucks-in Good Mail - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Junk Mail Folder Sucks-in Good Mail - Mozilla ; This is a repost of a follow-up from 6/14 to which there was no solutions offered. The shuffling of messages to wrong mailbox folders is worse than ever! The most distressing thing is that messages from even family with absolutely ...

  1. Junk Mail Folder Sucks-in Good Mail

    This is a repost of a follow-up from 6/14 to which there was no
    solutions offered.

    The shuffling of messages to wrong mailbox folders is worse than
    ever! The most distressing thing is
    that messages from even family with absolutely no filter key words
    or other spam-like characteristics are
    being shunted to the junk folder!

    All regulars are in the address book, and in fact when I find a
    REGULAR correspondents mail in the Junk folder I'll click on "Add to
    address book" in the header to ensure there's no subtle address
    difference.

    There is only /one /active email account (incoming address),
    though many additional folders within it.
    The first two items are checked in Junk Settings:
    X Enable adaptive junk mail controls for this account
    X Do not mark mail as junk if the send is in Personal Address Book

    The baffing thing is that "Move new junk messages to:" is NOT
    checkmarked.

    There is a large volume of mail archived in various folders, but MSF
    files are deleted and rebuilt every few weeks or so.

    Addendum: Today even a message CC'd from myself to myself ended up in
    the junk folder.
    I'm tempted to just delete Thunderbird and switch to
    SeaMonkey, but I like the plugins.

    Thunderbird 2.0.0.4 on Win XP Pro.
    Extensions:
    AboutConfig 0.6
    Buttons! 0.5.3.2
    Folderpane Tools 0.0.5.1
    Image Zoom 0.3
    KnujOn 0.31
    Maximize Message Pane 0.9.40
    No New Window on Double Click 0.2.3
    QuoteCollapse 0.7
    Talkback 2.0.0.4
    (+5 not yet updated to TB 2.0.0.4

  2. Re: Junk Mail Folder Sucks-in Good Mail

    On 7/2/2007 6:11 PM On a whim, dAVEr pounded out on the keyboard

    > This is a repost of a follow-up from 6/14 to which there was no
    > solutions offered.
    >
    > The shuffling of messages to wrong mailbox folders is worse than
    > ever! The most distressing thing is
    > that messages from even family with absolutely no filter key words
    > or other spam-like characteristics are
    > being shunted to the junk folder!
    >
    > All regulars are in the address book, and in fact when I find a
    > REGULAR correspondents mail in the Junk folder I'll click on "Add to
    > address book" in the header to ensure there's no subtle address
    > difference.
    >
    > There is only /one /active email account (incoming address),
    > though many additional folders within it.
    > The first two items are checked in Junk Settings:
    > X Enable adaptive junk mail controls for this account
    > X Do not mark mail as junk if the send is in Personal Address Book
    >
    > The baffing thing is that "Move new junk messages to:" is NOT
    > checkmarked.
    >
    > There is a large volume of mail archived in various folders, but MSF
    > files are deleted and rebuilt every few weeks or so.
    >
    > Addendum: Today even a message CC'd from myself to myself ended up in
    > the junk folder.
    > I'm tempted to just delete Thunderbird and switch to
    > SeaMonkey, but I like the plugins.
    >
    > Thunderbird 2.0.0.4 on Win XP Pro.
    > Extensions:
    > AboutConfig 0.6
    > Buttons! 0.5.3.2
    > Folderpane Tools 0.0.5.1
    > Image Zoom 0.3
    > KnujOn 0.31
    > Maximize Message Pane 0.9.40
    > No New Window on Double Click 0.2.3
    > QuoteCollapse 0.7
    > Talkback 2.0.0.4
    > (+5 not yet updated to TB 2.0.0.4

    Hi Dave,

    I see that issue only when others are CC'd or BCC'd. Then it seems like
    TB will mark them as junk.

    But other than that, JMC seems to work okay. It's not the end-all for
    spam, but it works.

    I'm not sure by switching to SM you will gain anything.

    --
    Terry R.

  3. Re: Junk Mail Folder Sucks-in Good Mail

    Terry R. wrote:
    > On 7/2/2007 6:11 PM On a whim, dAVEr pounded out on the keyboard
    >
    >> This is a repost of a follow-up from 6/14 to which there was no
    >> solutions offered.
    >>
    >> The shuffling of messages to wrong mailbox folders is worse than
    >> ever! The most distressing thing is
    >> that messages from even family with absolutely no filter key words
    >> or other spam-like characteristics are
    >> being shunted to the junk folder!
    >> All regulars are in the address book, and in fact when
    >> I find a
    >> REGULAR correspondents mail in the Junk folder I'll click on "Add to
    >> address book" in the header to ensure there's no subtle address
    >> difference.
    >>
    >> There is only /one /active email account (incoming address),
    >> though many additional folders within it.
    >> The first two items are checked in Junk Settings:
    >> X Enable adaptive junk mail controls for this account
    >> X Do not mark mail as junk if the send is in Personal Address Book
    >>
    >> The baffing thing is that "Move new junk messages to:" is NOT
    >> checkmarked.
    >>
    >> There is a large volume of mail archived in various folders, but MSF
    >> files are deleted and rebuilt every few weeks or so.
    >> Addendum: Today even a message CC'd from myself to myself ended up in
    >> the junk folder.
    >> I'm tempted to just delete Thunderbird and switch to
    >> SeaMonkey, but I like the plugins.
    >>
    >> Thunderbird 2.0.0.4 on Win XP Pro.
    >> Extensions:
    >> AboutConfig 0.6
    >> Buttons! 0.5.3.2
    >> Folderpane Tools 0.0.5.1
    >> Image Zoom 0.3
    >> KnujOn 0.31
    >> Maximize Message Pane 0.9.40
    >> No New Window on Double Click 0.2.3
    >> QuoteCollapse 0.7
    >> Talkback 2.0.0.4
    >> (+5 not yet updated to TB 2.0.0.4
    >>

    > Hi Dave,
    >
    > I see that issue only when others are CC'd or BCC'd. Then it seems like
    > TB will mark them as junk.
    >
    > But other than that, JMC seems to work okay. It's not the end-all for
    > spam, but it works.
    >
    > I'm not sure by switching to SM you will gain anything.

    Except more seamless compatibility between web viewing, mail/news, and
    especial mailto links.

    when you click on a mailto link In SM it automatically switches to
    email and automatically added address in the to portion of the email

    when using FF/TB combo FF first opens the opens a Blank page. Then TB
    opens. Usually it doesn't do anything, after you have to add the address
    in the "to:"
    Sometimes it fails to open a window. Its one hundred percent producible.

    Proper operation should be directly opens TB open a compose window and
    have the to address filed out.

  4. Re: Junk Mail Folder Sucks-in Good Mail

    On 7/3/2007 12:43 PM On a whim, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T pounded out on
    the keyboard

    > Terry R. wrote:
    >> On 7/2/2007 6:11 PM On a whim, dAVEr pounded out on the keyboard
    >>
    >>> This is a repost of a follow-up from 6/14 to which there was no
    >>> solutions offered.
    >>>
    >>> The shuffling of messages to wrong mailbox folders is worse than
    >>> ever! The most distressing thing is
    >>> that messages from even family with absolutely no filter key words
    >>> or other spam-like characteristics are
    >>> being shunted to the junk folder!
    >>> All regulars are in the address book, and in fact when
    >>> I find a
    >>> REGULAR correspondents mail in the Junk folder I'll click on "Add to
    >>> address book" in the header to ensure there's no subtle address
    >>> difference.
    >>>
    >>> There is only /one /active email account (incoming address),
    >>> though many additional folders within it.
    >>> The first two items are checked in Junk Settings:
    >>> X Enable adaptive junk mail controls for this account
    >>> X Do not mark mail as junk if the send is in Personal Address Book
    >>>
    >>> The baffing thing is that "Move new junk messages to:" is NOT
    >>> checkmarked.
    >>>
    >>> There is a large volume of mail archived in various folders, but MSF
    >>> files are deleted and rebuilt every few weeks or so.
    >>> Addendum: Today even a message CC'd from myself to myself ended up in
    >>> the junk folder.
    >>> I'm tempted to just delete Thunderbird and switch to
    >>> SeaMonkey, but I like the plugins.
    >>>
    >>> Thunderbird 2.0.0.4 on Win XP Pro.
    >>> Extensions:
    >>> AboutConfig 0.6
    >>> Buttons! 0.5.3.2
    >>> Folderpane Tools 0.0.5.1
    >>> Image Zoom 0.3
    >>> KnujOn 0.31
    >>> Maximize Message Pane 0.9.40
    >>> No New Window on Double Click 0.2.3
    >>> QuoteCollapse 0.7
    >>> Talkback 2.0.0.4
    >>> (+5 not yet updated to TB 2.0.0.4
    >>>

    >> Hi Dave,
    >>
    >> I see that issue only when others are CC'd or BCC'd. Then it seems like
    >> TB will mark them as junk.
    >>
    >> But other than that, JMC seems to work okay. It's not the end-all for
    >> spam, but it works.
    >>
    >> I'm not sure by switching to SM you will gain anything.
    >>

    > Except more seamless compatibility between web viewing, mail/news, and
    > especial mailto links.
    >
    > when you click on a mailto link In SM it automatically switches to
    > email and automatically added address in the to portion of the email
    >
    > when using FF/TB combo FF first opens the opens a Blank page. Then TB
    > opens. Usually it doesn't do anything, after you have to add the address
    > in the "to:"
    > Sometimes it fails to open a window. Its one hundred percent producible.
    >
    > Proper operation should be directly opens TB open a compose window and
    > have the to address filed out.

    All of which has nothing to do with the OP's inquiry.

    --
    Terry R.

  5. Re: Junk Mail Folder Sucks-in Good Mail

    Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    > Terry R. wrote:

    >> I'm not sure by switching to SM you will gain anything.
    >>

    > Except more seamless compatibility between web viewing, mail/news, and
    > especial mailto links.
    >
    > when you click on a mailto link In SM it automatically switches to
    > email and automatically added address in the to portion of the email
    >
    > when using FF/TB combo FF first opens the opens a Blank page. Then TB
    > opens. Usually it doesn't do anything, after you have to add the address
    > in the "to:"
    > Sometimes it fails to open a window. Its one hundred percent producible.
    >
    > Proper operation should be directly opens TB open a compose window and
    > have the to address filed out.

    Must be something with the Mac version.

    Using FF 2.0.0.4, TB 2.0.0.4 on WinXP Home SP2.

    With TB closed or open, either way, clicking on a mailto: link does
    exactly as you describe for "proper operation".

    A compose window opens, with the To: address filled in from the mailto:
    link. If TB was closed when clicking the mailto: link, *only* the
    compose window appears, no other TB window. Either way, TB open or
    closed, no extra FF window or tab appears.

    Its 100% reproducible.

    --
    Alex K.

  6. Re: Junk Mail Folder Sucks-in Good Mail

    Alex K. wrote:
    > Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:
    >
    >> Terry R. wrote:
    >>

    >>> I'm not sure by switching to SM you will gain anything.
    >>>

    >> Except more seamless compatibility between web viewing, mail/news, and
    >> especial mailto links.
    >>
    >> when you click on a mailto link In SM it automatically switches to
    >> email and automatically added address in the to portion of the email
    >>
    >> when using FF/TB combo FF first opens the opens a Blank page. Then TB
    >> opens. Usually it doesn't do anything, after you have to add the address
    >> in the "to:"
    >> Sometimes it fails to open a window. Its one hundred percent producible.
    >>
    >> Proper operation should be directly opens TB open a compose window and
    >> have the to address filed out.
    >>

    > Must be something with the Mac version.
    >
    > Using FF 2.0.0.4, TB 2.0.0.4 on WinXP Home SP2.
    >
    > With TB closed or open, either way, clicking on a mailto: link does
    > exactly as you describe for "proper operation".
    >
    > A compose window opens, with the To: address filled in from the mailto:
    > link. If TB was closed when clicking the mailto: link, *only* the
    > compose window appears, no other TB window. Either way, TB open or
    > closed, no extra FF window or tab appears.
    >
    > Its 100% reproducible.

    Who mentioned anything about Mac?
    As Terry K so kindly remarked, what on earth do the other two responses
    have to do with the filtering errors?
    Why are messages being marked as junk and put in the Junk Mail folder,
    even though the addresses (including my own alternate email addresses)
    are all in the address book?
    Compiled filters seem to be working, since some message do go to
    designated subfolders.

  7. Re: Junk Mail Folder Sucks-in Good Mail

    dAVEr wrote:
    > This is a repost of a follow-up from 6/14 to which there was no
    > solutions offered.
    >
    > The shuffling of messages to wrong mailbox folders is worse than
    > ever! The most distressing thing is
    > that messages from even family with absolutely no filter key words
    > or other spam-like characteristics are
    > being shunted to the junk folder!
    >
    > All regulars are in the address book, and in fact when I find a
    > REGULAR correspondents mail in the Junk folder I'll click on "Add to
    > address book" in the header to ensure there's no subtle address
    > difference.
    >
    > There is only /one /active email account (incoming address),
    > though many additional folders within it.
    > The first two items are checked in Junk Settings:
    > X Enable adaptive junk mail controls for this account
    > X Do not mark mail as junk if the send is in Personal Address Book
    >
    > The baffing thing is that "Move new junk messages to:" is NOT
    > checkmarked.
    >
    > There is a large volume of mail archived in various folders, but MSF
    > files are deleted and rebuilt every few weeks or so.
    >
    > Addendum: Today even a message CC'd from myself to myself ended up in
    > the junk folder.

    OK, so I did some more pondering on this and came up with a couple of
    thoughts.

    Do you have any filters to move email from that account's Inbox to
    folders under Local Folders?

    What I found, in poking around this morning, is that in addition to each
    server having Junk Settings, Local Folders also has Junk Settings.

    Any filters you have created will operate before the Junk Filter. If
    you have a filter under your email account that moves email to a folder
    under Local Folders, its possible that the option "Do not mark mail as
    junk if the send is in Personal Address Book" is not enabled for Local
    Folders.

    So, even though the *server* may be marked "Do not mark...", a filter
    that moves an email will prevent the Junk filter from even considering
    that email, under that server's rules. The rules that would apply would
    be the ones set for the destination, if that destination is outside of
    the server account.

    Something else you could try, would be to enable Junk Filter Logging:
    Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Junk -> "Enable junk filter logging"

    Then, after you observe an improperly flagged email, go back to the
    above location and click "Show Log".

    That may give some insight into why certain emails are being caught. I
    don't what details it provides, as I've not used the logging feature
    myself & I don't happen to have any junk to test it with right now. :-)

    --
    Alex K.

  8. Re: Junk Mail Folder Sucks-in Good Mail

    dAVEr wrote:
    > Alex K. wrote:
    >> Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T wrote:

    >>> Except more seamless compatibility between web viewing, mail/news, and
    >>> especial mailto links.
    >>>
    >>> when you click on a mailto link In SM it automatically switches to
    >>> email and automatically added address in the to portion of the email
    >>>
    >>> when using FF/TB combo FF first opens the opens a Blank page. Then TB
    >>> opens. Usually it doesn't do anything, after you have to add the address
    >>> in the "to:"
    >>> Sometimes it fails to open a window. Its one hundred percent producible.
    >>>
    >>> Proper operation should be directly opens TB open a compose window and
    >>> have the to address filed out.
    >>>

    >> Must be something with the Mac version.
    >>
    >> Using FF 2.0.0.4, TB 2.0.0.4 on WinXP Home SP2.
    >>
    >> With TB closed or open, either way, clicking on a mailto: link does
    >> exactly as you describe for "proper operation".
    >>
    >> A compose window opens, with the To: address filled in from the mailto:
    >> link. If TB was closed when clicking the mailto: link, *only* the
    >> compose window appears, no other TB window. Either way, TB open or
    >> closed, no extra FF window or tab appears.
    >>
    >> Its 100% reproducible.
    >>

    > Who mentioned anything about Mac?
    > As Terry K so kindly remarked, what on earth do the other two responses
    > have to do with the filtering errors?
    > Why are messages being marked as junk and put in the Junk Mail folder,
    > even though the addresses (including my own alternate email addresses)
    > are all in the address book?
    > Compiled filters seem to be working, since some message do go to
    > designated subfolders.

    Where did "I" say Mac in my Reply. Only SM and TB/FF were mentioned.

    I do use Mac version. But I didn't comment that way assuming this is
    normal behavior across all Platforms.

  9. Re: Junk Mail Folder Sucks-in Good Mail

    On 7/7/2007 10:39 AM On a whim, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T pounded out on
    the keyboard

    > dAVEr wrote:
    >> Alex K. wrote:

    >>> Must be something with the Mac version.
    >>>
    >>> Using FF 2.0.0.4, TB 2.0.0.4 on WinXP Home SP2.
    >>>
    >>> With TB closed or open, either way, clicking on a mailto: link does
    >>> exactly as you describe for "proper operation".
    >>>
    >>> A compose window opens, with the To: address filled in from the mailto:
    >>> link. If TB was closed when clicking the mailto: link, *only* the
    >>> compose window appears, no other TB window. Either way, TB open or
    >>> closed, no extra FF window or tab appears.
    >>>
    >>> Its 100% reproducible.
    >>>

    >> Who mentioned anything about Mac?
    >> As Terry K so kindly remarked, what on earth do the other two responses
    >> have to do with the filtering errors?
    >> Why are messages being marked as junk and put in the Junk Mail folder,
    >> even though the addresses (including my own alternate email addresses)
    >> are all in the address book?
    >> Compiled filters seem to be working, since some message do go to
    >> designated subfolders.
    >>

    > Where did "I" say Mac in my Reply. Only SM and TB/FF were mentioned.
    >
    > I do use Mac version. But I didn't comment that way assuming this is
    > normal behavior across all Platforms.

    Dave didn't reply to you, but to Alex, because he mentioned the Mac.

    What was strange is that you started off about seamless compatibility
    with SM (which had nothing to do with the OP's question, because I
    mentioned not gaining anything regarding SM and his issue with JMC).
    And then you started talking about FF/TB and how they inter-operate,
    again having nothing to do with the JMC issue.

    Hang in there Phillip. Just stay on topic!

    --
    Terry R.

  10. Re: Junk Mail Folder Sucks-in Good Mail

    Terry R. wrote:
    > On 7/7/2007 10:39 AM On a whim, Phillip M. Jones, C.E.T pounded out on
    > the keyboard
    >
    >> dAVEr wrote:

    >>> Who mentioned anything about Mac?
    >>> As Terry K so kindly remarked, what on earth do the other two responses
    >>> have to do with the filtering errors?
    >>> Why are messages being marked as junk and put in the Junk Mail folder,
    >>> even though the addresses (including my own alternate email addresses)
    >>> are all in the address book?
    >>> Compiled filters seem to be working, since some message do go to
    >>> designated subfolders.
    >>>

    >> Where did "I" say Mac in my Reply. Only SM and TB/FF were mentioned.
    >>
    >> I do use Mac version. But I didn't comment that way assuming this is
    >> normal behavior across all Platforms.
    >>

    > Dave didn't reply to you, but to Alex, because he mentioned the Mac.
    >
    > What was strange is that you started off about seamless compatibility
    > with SM (which had nothing to do with the OP's question, because I
    > mentioned not gaining anything regarding SM and his issue with JMC).
    > And then you started talking about FF/TB and how they inter-operate,
    > again having nothing to do with the JMC issue.
    >
    > Hang in there Phillip. Just stay on topic!

    Sigh.

    First, to address the on-topic portion, I posted a reply to dAVEr's
    original post yesterday, after doing some more thinking about the problem.

    As to my "off-topic" post, if you look at the quoted posts, above, you
    will see that Phillip stated that using FF/TB, clicking on mailto: links
    doesn't work properly.

    My response, knowing that Phillip uses a Mac, was that it must be an
    issue on the Mac, because under Windows, it works fine.

    I felt it necessary to clarify that, rather than leave the impression
    that mailto: links with FF/TB do not work properly - on any platform.

    Thats all.

    I did not address the Junk filter issue, because, at that time, nothing
    jumped into my head, be it lack of sleep, lack of coffee, dain bramage,
    or whatever. :-)

    Follow-up set to mozilla.general

    --
    Alex K.