Before and After Thunderbird :-) - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Before and After Thunderbird :-) - Mozilla ; Before Thunderbird I had the following: --------------------------------------- Retrieve Email : Outlook 2003 Calendar : Outlook 2003 Archive Emails : Outlook Express Newsreader : Outlook Express RSS Feeds : Sharp Reader I had massive problems with Outlook. It would sometimes take ...

  1. Before and After Thunderbird :-)

    Before Thunderbird I had the following:
    ---------------------------------------

    Retrieve Email : Outlook 2003
    Calendar : Outlook 2003
    Archive Emails : Outlook Express
    Newsreader : Outlook Express
    RSS Feeds : Sharp Reader

    I had massive problems with Outlook. It would sometimes
    take 30 seconds to open a hyperlink in an email. It
    would sometimes be so slow that I couldn't see what I
    was typing in real-time (and this is on a fast machine).

    After Thunderbird:

    Retrieve Email : Thunderbird
    Calendar : Thunderbird (Lightning plugin)
    Archive Emails : Thunderbird
    Newsreader : Thunderbird
    RSS Feeds : Thunderbird

    I have only minor issues that really aren't bugs with the
    program itself, just quirky differences that I know I'll
    get used to soon enough.

    Nice job TB people

    ~dd

  2. Re: Before and After Thunderbird :-)

    d d wrote:
    > Before Thunderbird I had the following:
    > ---------------------------------------
    >
    > Retrieve Email : Outlook 2003
    > Calendar : Outlook 2003
    > Archive Emails : Outlook Express
    > Newsreader : Outlook Express
    > RSS Feeds : Sharp Reader
    >
    > I had massive problems with Outlook. It would sometimes
    > take 30 seconds to open a hyperlink in an email. It
    > would sometimes be so slow that I couldn't see what I
    > was typing in real-time (and this is on a fast machine).
    >
    > After Thunderbird:
    >
    > Retrieve Email : Thunderbird
    > Calendar : Thunderbird (Lightning plugin)
    > Archive Emails : Thunderbird
    > Newsreader : Thunderbird
    > RSS Feeds : Thunderbird
    >
    > I have only minor issues that really aren't bugs with the
    > program itself, just quirky differences that I know I'll
    > get used to soon enough.
    >
    > Nice job TB people
    >
    > ~dd

    Whilst I applaud your choice of Thunderbird why couldn't you use Outlook
    for all your previous needs - it's certainly capable of doing them all.

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

  3. Re: Before and After Thunderbird :-)

    Before Thunderbird I was able to read my email online via web
    interfaces. After installing Thunderbird, I can still only read my
    email via web interfaces.
    jmccay

    On Jun 26, 3:48 pm, d d wrote:
    > Before Thunderbird I had the following:
    > ---------------------------------------
    >
    > Retrieve Email : Outlook 2003
    > Calendar : Outlook 2003
    > Archive Emails : Outlook Express
    > Newsreader : Outlook Express
    > RSS Feeds : Sharp Reader
    >
    > I had massive problems with Outlook. It would sometimes
    > take 30 seconds to open a hyperlink in an email. It
    > would sometimes be so slow that I couldn't see what I
    > was typing in real-time (and this is on a fast machine).
    >
    > After Thunderbird:
    >
    > Retrieve Email : Thunderbird
    > Calendar : Thunderbird (Lightning plugin)
    > Archive Emails : Thunderbird
    > Newsreader : Thunderbird
    > RSS Feeds : Thunderbird
    >
    > I have only minor issues that really aren't bugs with the
    > program itself, just quirky differences that I know I'll
    > get used to soon enough.
    >
    > Nice job TB people
    >
    > ~dd

  4. Re: Before and After Thunderbird :-)

    SteveG wrote:
    > d d wrote:
    >> I had massive problems with Outlook. It would sometimes
    >> take 30 seconds to open a hyperlink in an email. It
    >> would sometimes be so slow that I couldn't see what I
    >> was typing in real-time (and this is on a fast machine).
    >> ~dd

    > Whilst I applaud your choice of Thunderbird why couldn't you use Outlook
    > for all your previous needs - it's certainly capable of doing them all.

    It doesn't handle newsgroups. It just opens outlook express.
    It also doesn't handle RSS feeds (at least the 2003 version
    I had didn't, and my employer hasn't upgraded to a newer
    version yet - so that's all I had available).

    As for it's ability to handle emails, see the "massive problems"
    mentioned. I find it hard to type an email when the keypresses
    don't show up for several seconds. I know this isn't a basic
    problem with Outlook that happens all the time, but it happened
    to me quite often, and nobody at the Outlook NG had any
    suggestions. Similarly the 30 seconds to open a hyperlink,
    which happened typically 20 times a day, was resulting in
    suggestions of disabling Internet Explorer add-ons and wasn't
    focusing on the fact that Outlook was the culprit.

    So far, Thunderbird has not crashed once in the 5 days or so
    I've been using it. It's never once needed more than a second
    to open a hyperlink. It's been completely normal with keyboard
    input. It's helped me improve Windows performance because I have
    one app running instead of three. Not that I've actually noticed
    an improvement, but it must be there ;-)

    ~dd

  5. Re: Before and After Thunderbird :-)

    jmccay wrote:
    > Before Thunderbird I was able to read my email online via web
    > interfaces. After installing Thunderbird, I can still only read my
    > email via web interfaces.
    > jmccay

    You mean you can't read your gmail via TB ? I found
    gmail to be the easiest account type to add, seeing
    as it already knows the server addresses. It's as
    easy as adding Hotmail to Outlook express.

    ~dd

  6. Re: Before and After Thunderbird :-)

    On Jun 27, 5:19 am, d d wrote:
    > jmccay wrote:
    > > Before Thunderbird I was able to read my email online via web
    > > interfaces. After installing Thunderbird, I can still only read my
    > > email via web interfaces.
    > > jmccay

    > You mean you can't read your gmail via TB ? I found
    > gmail to be the easiest account type to add, seeing
    > as it already knows the server addresses. It's as
    > easy as adding Hotmail to Outlook express.
    >
    > ~dd

    I can't read gmail or AOL, and I tried posting for help (or
    suggestions) with no replies. I am disappointed with Thunderbird.
    jmccay

  7. Re: Before and After Thunderbird :-)

    jmccay wrote:
    > On Jun 27, 5:19 am, d d wrote:
    >> jmccay wrote:
    >>> Before Thunderbird I was able to read my email online via web
    >>> interfaces. After installing Thunderbird, I can still only read my
    >>> email via web interfaces.
    >>> jmccay

    >> You mean you can't read your gmail via TB ? I found
    >> gmail to be the easiest account type to add, seeing
    >> as it already knows the server addresses. It's as
    >> easy as adding Hotmail to Outlook express.
    >>
    >> ~dd

    > I can't read gmail or AOL, and I tried posting for help (or
    > suggestions) with no replies. I am disappointed with Thunderbird.
    > jmccay

    Have you looked at
    http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/200...ated-with.html

    or www.mozillazine.org's t-bird forums for help with gmail in Thunderbird?

    Configuring the imap server for aol mail is fairly easy: I use
    imap.aim.com and port 143 with username being my aol screen name.

    Ann
    --
    Remove the FISH from the net to reply

  8. Re: Before and After Thunderbird :-)

    On 6/29/07 9:04 AM, Ann Watson wrote:
    > jmccay wrote:
    >>> You mean you can't read your gmail via TB ? I found
    >>> gmail to be the easiest account type to add, seeing
    >>> as it already knows the server addresses. It's as
    >>> easy as adding Hotmail to Outlook express.
    >>>
    >>> ~dd

    >> I can't read gmail or AOL, and I tried posting for help (or
    >> suggestions) with no replies. I am disappointed with Thunderbird.
    >> jmccay
    >>

    > Have you looked at
    > http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/200...ated-with.html
    >
    > or www.mozillazine.org's t-bird forums for help with gmail in Thunderbird?
    >
    > Configuring the imap server for aol mail is fairly easy: I use
    > imap.aim.com and port 143 with username being my aol screen name.
    >
    > Ann

    In addition to this I saw a number of other replies...

  9. Re: Before and After Thunderbird :-)

    On Jun 29, 12:04 pm, Ann Watson wrote:
    > jmccay wrote:
    > >> You mean you can't read your gmail via TB ? I found
    > >> gmail to be the easiest account type to add, seeing
    > >> as it already knows the server addresses. It's as
    > >> easy as adding Hotmail to Outlook express.

    > >> ~dd

    > > I can't read gmail or AOL, and I tried posting for help (or
    > > suggestions) with no replies. I am disappointed with Thunderbird.
    > > jmccay

    > Have you looked athttp://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2007/04/mozilla-thunderbird-integrat...
    >
    > orwww.mozillazine.org's t-bird forums for help with gmail in Thunderbird?
    >
    > Configuring the imap server for aol mail is fairly easy: I use
    > imap.aim.com and port 143 with username being my aol screen name.
    >
    > Ann
    > --
    > Remove the FISH from the net to reply

    I did get it working once for both AOL & gmail. It downloaded one
    time and that's it. I regularly clean my cach for inter explorer &
    firefox. I tried disabling my firewall & virus scanner, and that
    didn't help. I am frustrated because I can't get it to work. Which
    is why I posted here 3 time, and this is the only response.
    jmccay

  10. Re: Before and After Thunderbird :-)

    On Jul 4, 7:28 pm, jmccay wrote:
    > On Jun 29, 12:04 pm, Ann Watson wrote:
    >

    > > jmccay wrote:

    > > > I can't read gmail or AOL, and I tried posting for help (or
    > > > suggestions) with no replies. I am disappointed with Thunderbird.
    > > > jmccay

    > > Have you looked athttp://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2007/04/mozilla-thunderbird-integrat...

    > > orwww.mozillazine.org'st-bird forums for help with gmail in Thunderbird?

    > > Configuring the imap server for aol mail is fairly easy: I use
    > > imap.aim.com and port 143 with username being my aol screen name.

    > > Ann
    > > --
    > > Remove the FISH from the net to reply

    > I did get it working once for both AOL & gmail. It downloaded one
    > time and that's it. I regularly clean my cach for inter explorer &
    > firefox. I tried disabling my firewall & virus scanner, and that
    > didn't help. I am frustrated because I can't get it to work. Which
    > is why I posted here 3 time, and this is the only response.
    > jmccay

    Well, it seems I got it working for now. AOL was working, but I had a
    bad filter. Gmail, was another story. I am not entirely sure how I
    got that working. We'll see it it's working tomorrow.
    jmccay

  11. Re: Before and After Thunderbird :-)

    jmccay wrote:
    > On Jul 4, 7:28 pm, jmccay wrote:

    >>> Have you looked athttp://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2007/04/mozilla-thunderbird-integrat...
    >>> orwww.mozillazine.org'st-bird forums for help with gmail in Thunderbird?
    >>> Configuring the imap server for aol mail is fairly easy: I use
    >>> imap.aim.com and port 143 with username being my aol screen name.
    >>> Ann
    >>> --
    >>> Remove the FISH from the net to reply

    >> I did get it working once for both AOL & gmail. It downloaded one
    >> time and that's it. I regularly clean my cach for inter explorer &
    >> firefox. I tried disabling my firewall & virus scanner, and that
    >> didn't help. I am frustrated because I can't get it to work. Which
    >> is why I posted here 3 time, and this is the only response.
    >> jmccay

    > Well, it seems I got it working for now. AOL was working, but I had a
    > bad filter. Gmail, was another story. I am not entirely sure how I
    > got that working. We'll see it it's working tomorrow.
    > jmccay

    Hopefully T-Bird is working for you with AOL and Gmail still. You might
    want to look through the archives of this newsgroup at google groups for
    replies to people with similar problems.

    Ann W.

    --
    Remove the FISH from the net to reply

  12. Re: Before and After Thunderbird :-)

    On Jul 5, 9:59 am, Ann Watson wrote:
    > jmccaywrote:

    > >> I did get it working once for both AOL & gmail. It downloaded one
    > >> time and that's it. I regularly clean my cach for inter explorer &
    > >> firefox. I tried disabling my firewall & virus scanner, and that
    > >> didn't help. I am frustrated because I can't get it to work. Which
    > >> is why I posted here 3 time, and this is the only response.
    > >>jmccay

    > > Well, it seems I got it working for now. AOL was working, but I had a
    > > bad filter. Gmail, was another story. I am not entirely sure how I
    > > got that working. We'll see it it's working tomorrow.
    > >jmccay

    > Hopefully T-Bird is working for you with AOL and Gmail still. You might
    > want to look through the archives of this newsgroup at google groups for
    > replies to people with similar problems.
    >
    > Ann W.
    >
    > --
    > Remove the FISH from the net to reply

    It's still working.
    jmccay

  13. Re: Before and After Thunderbird :-)

    That's a GOOD thing, right?

    Ann W.

    --
    Remove the FISH from the net to reply

  14. Re: Before and After Thunderbird :-)

    Yes it is.

+ Reply to Thread