Importing Outlook Express emails, address books and settings into Thunderbird 2 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Importing Outlook Express emails, address books and settings into Thunderbird 2 - Mozilla ; I'm having trouble with Thunderbird 2, (ver. 2.0.0.4.) I do have several Outook Express Identities. The Message Store(s) and Address Book(s) are on a seperate partition on my HDD. Not sure whare any Settings are stored. I believe that a ...

  1. Importing Outlook Express emails, address books and settings into Thunderbird 2

    I'm having trouble with Thunderbird 2, (ver. 2.0.0.4.) I do have several
    Outook Express Identities. The Message Store(s) and Address Book(s)
    are on a seperate partition on my HDD. Not sure whare any Settings are
    stored.

    I believe that a Profile in Thunderbird is equivalent to an Identity in
    Outlook Express. Each Profile or Identity can contain more than one Account.

    When you first start up Thunderbird, a wizard begins to import Account
    Settings, Address Book, and Mail Folders as it seeks to create a single
    Profile based on the imported data. After it does it's business, I find the
    wizard does report a successful import.

    But, I don't see any folders, and no account(s). There is "Local Folders"
    and under that "Unsent" and "Deleted". That is all there is.There are
    addresses found in the Address book, so addresses seem to have
    been imported, but they are not assorted into folders.

    Okay, you can import manually when in Thunderbird. This is what I get
    when I do that:

    Email Folders: It does seem to import email folders associated with one of
    my Identities. Under "Local Folders" there is "Outlook Express Mail".
    However, after the import I get the message: "Error importing mailbox
    Direct, unable to create a destination mailbox." So, somethings wrong
    despite I see some email folders.

    Settings: I cannot import settings. The error message I get is: "An error
    occurred while importing settings some, or all of the settings may not
    have been imported".

    Indeed, when I go to Tools > Account Settings, I just see "Local Folders"
    and underneath that "Outgoing Server "SMTP". "Local Folders" is a special
    account and there are no Identites assciated with it. I can manually create
    accounts BTW.

    Okay, I've just figured out how to change what Identity Thunderbird will
    import. I can in Outlook Express, under "Manage Identities", under "Use this
    identity when a program cannot ask you to choose an identity" I can select
    the Identity.

    So, I think the procedure to import all my identities, is to create, with
    Profile Manager, new Profiles. Select the Identity in Outlook Express as
    explained above. Then for each Profile, manually import.

    But, I cannot import all the stuff successfully.

    Also, when I tried to post to this newsgroup with Thunderbird, I could not
    send or save to the draft folder. Indeed under "Local Folder" (Not under
    "Outlook Express Mail) there is no Sent or Draft folder.

    Has anyone had a simlar problem? Anyone know what could be wrong? TIA.

  2. Re: Importing Outlook Express emails, address books and settings into Thunderbird 2

    I don't know if anyone can decypher what this means, that appears in the
    Error Console:

    Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code:
    0x80550005 [nsIMsgFolder.getMsgDatabase]" nsresult: "0x80550005
    ()" location: "JS frame ::
    chrome://messenger/content/mailWidgets.xml :: parseFolder :: line 2061"
    data: no]

  3. Re: Importing Outlook Express emails, address books and settings into Thunderbird 2

    Quote Originally Posted by unix View Post
    I don't know if anyone can decypher what this means, that appears in the
    Error Console:

    Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code:
    0x80550005 [nsIMsgFolder.getMsgDatabase]" nsresult: "0x80550005
    ()" location: "JS frame ::
    chrome://messenger/content/mailWidgets.xml :: parseFolder :: line 2061"
    data: no]

+ Reply to Thread