Memory leak in TB 1.5.0.10 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Memory leak in TB 1.5.0.10 - Mozilla ; Sorry about this new post; Google is not letting me reply to any of the other messages in the old topic "Severre Memory ...". Dear Wayne and Stef: I have been monitoring TB 1.5.0.10, after implementing all the suggestions of ...

  1. Memory leak in TB 1.5.0.10

    Sorry about this new post; Google is not letting me reply to any of
    the other messages in the old topic "Severre Memory ...".
    Dear Wayne and Stef: I have been monitoring TB 1.5.0.10, after
    implementing all the suggestions of Wayne. Here are the results. In a
    nutshell, nothing helps--memory leaks continue.

    The setup: one hotmail account, with about 10 emails a day on the
    average. Win 2k. I
    --used the default theme,
    --deleted all *.msf files in all directories,
    --set mail.purge_interval_timer to 10000,
    --turned off auto-save on compose, and
    --turned off alerts.
    I let TB run and noted the memory usage every night at 9pm. Here are
    the values:
    5-12-07 29m
    5-13-07 185m
    5-14-07 252m
    5-15-07 357m
    5-16-07 450m (around 10am)
    at this point my PC collapsed. So, even with very little activity, the
    memory grows at the rate of 100m a day!!
    I am currently experimenting with 1.5.0.8. Contrary to popular belief,
    even 1.5.0.8 leaks, albeit less severely.

    --Hope the developers can fix the memory leak. It will be a shame to
    abandon such a great email client.

    --cheers
    --ram

  2. Re: Memory leak in TB 1.5.0.10

    ram wrote:
    > Sorry about this new post; Google is not letting me reply to any of
    > the other messages in the old topic "Severre Memory ...".

    This is the sixth time I've seen the same info from you today. All your
    replies are coming to the newsgroup. It is redundant and getting very
    boring.

  3. Re: Memory leak in TB 1.5.0.10

    ram wrote:
    > Sorry about this new post; Google is not letting me reply to any of
    > the other messages in the old topic "Severre Memory ...".
    > Dear Wayne and Stef: I have been monitoring TB 1.5.0.10, after
    > implementing all the suggestions of Wayne. Here are the results. In a
    > nutshell, nothing helps--memory leaks continue.
    >
    > The setup: one hotmail account, with about 10 emails a day on the
    > average. Win 2k. I
    > --used the default theme,
    > --deleted all *.msf files in all directories,
    > --set mail.purge_interval_timer to 10000,
    > --turned off auto-save on compose, and
    > --turned off alerts.
    > I let TB run and noted the memory usage every night at 9pm. Here are
    > the values:
    > 5-12-07 29m
    > 5-13-07 185m
    > 5-14-07 252m
    > 5-15-07 357m
    > 5-16-07 450m (around 10am)
    > at this point my PC collapsed. So, even with very little activity, the
    > memory grows at the rate of 100m a day!!
    > I am currently experimenting with 1.5.0.8. Contrary to popular belief,
    > even 1.5.0.8 leaks, albeit less severely.
    >
    > --Hope the developers can fix the memory leak. It will be a shame to
    > abandon such a great email client.
    >
    > --cheers
    > --ram

    How much email are you getting per day?

  4. Re: Memory leak in TB 1.5.0.10

    On 5/16/2007 9:10 PM, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > ram wrote:
    >> Sorry about this new post; Google is not letting me reply to any of
    >> the other messages in the old topic "Severre Memory ...".
    >> Dear Wayne and Stef: I have been monitoring TB 1.5.0.10, after
    >> implementing all the suggestions of Wayne. Here are the results. In a
    >> nutshell, nothing helps--memory leaks continue.
    >>
    >> The setup: one hotmail account, with about 10 emails a day on the
    >> average. Win 2k. I
    >> --used the default theme,
    >> --deleted all *.msf files in all directories,
    >> --set mail.purge_interval_timer to 10000,
    >> --turned off auto-save on compose, and
    >> --turned off alerts.
    >> I let TB run and noted the memory usage every night at 9pm. Here are
    >> the values:
    >> 5-12-07 29m
    >> 5-13-07 185m
    >> 5-14-07 252m
    >> 5-15-07 357m
    >> 5-16-07 450m (around 10am)
    >> at this point my PC collapsed. So, even with very little activity, the
    >> memory grows at the rate of 100m a day!!
    >> I am currently experimenting with 1.5.0.8. Contrary to popular belief,
    >> even 1.5.0.8 leaks, albeit less severely.
    >>
    >> --Hope the developers can fix the memory leak. It will be a shame to
    >> abandon such a great email client.

    (have to find it before developers can take a whack.)

    that's a ton of memory at ridiculously small # of 10 messages per day.
    what's typical MAX message size?
    what version of webmail extension?
    what version of hotmail extension?

    does memory usage substantially improve if you use thunderbird v2 ?
    (put v2 into a separate directory by selecting "custom" during install
    and specifying a special dir name)

    W.

  5. Re: Memory leak in TB 1.5.0.10

    *-* On Wed, 16 May 2007 19:00:38 -0600,
    *-* In Article S-ydnYsBdJUdNNbbnZ2dnUVZ_gCdnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* Larry Gusaas wrote
    *-* About Re: Memory leak in TB 1.5.0.10

    > ram wrote:
    >> Sorry about this new post; Google is not letting me reply to any of
    >> the other messages in the old topic "Severre Memory ...".

    > This is the sixth time I've seen the same info from you today. All
    > your replies are coming to the newsgroup. It is redundant and
    > getting very boring.

    Don't be too hard on him. :-) Blame Google, which has a bad
    habit of delaying the display of new posts (sometimes for hours),
    causing users to think, as in this case, that their posts haven't
    gone through, often resulting in multiple re-posts. That's just one
    of the reasons *NOT* to use Google as a news provider, IMO.

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  6. Re: Memory leak in TB 1.5.0.10

    Ken Whiton wrote:
    > *-* On Wed, 16 May 2007 19:00:38 -0600,
    > *-* In Article S-ydnYsBdJUdNNbbnZ2dnUVZ_gCdnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    > *-* Larry Gusaas wrote
    > *-* About Re: Memory leak in TB 1.5.0.10
    >
    >> ram wrote:
    >>> Sorry about this new post; Google is not letting me reply to any of
    >>> the other messages in the old topic "Severre Memory ...".

    >> This is the sixth time I've seen the same info from you today. All
    >> your replies are coming to the newsgroup. It is redundant and
    >> getting very boring.

    > Don't be too hard on him. :-) Blame Google, which has a bad
    > habit of delaying the display of new posts (sometimes for hours),
    > causing users to think, as in this case, that their posts haven't
    > gone through, often resulting in multiple re-posts. That's just one
    > of the reasons *NOT* to use Google as a news provider, IMO.
    >
    > Ken Whiton

    Beware of the Google groupers they are crazy people.

  7. Re: Memory leak in TB 1.5.0.10

    On May 16, 9:00 pm, Larry Gusaas wrote:
    > ram wrote:
    > > Sorry about this new post; Google is not letting me reply to any of
    > > the other messages in the old topic "SeverreMemory...".

    > This is the sixth time I've seen the same info from you today. All your
    > replies are coming to the newsgroup. It is redundant and getting very
    > boring.

    soory about this Larry; my pc freezes when I post, so I assumed my
    posts were lost--now I know better--they were just delayed. Again my
    apologies;; this will never happen again.
    --ram

  8. Re: Memory leak in TB 1.5.0.10

    On May 17, 11:43 am, Wayne Mery wrote:
    > On 5/16/2007 9:10 PM, Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >

    > > ram wrote:
    > >> Sorry about this new post; Google is not letting me reply to any of
    > >> the other messages in the old topic "SeverreMemory...".
    > >> Dear Wayne and Stef: I have been monitoring TB 1.5.0.10, after
    > >> implementing all the suggestions of Wayne. Here are the results. In a
    > >> nutshell, nothing helps--memoryleaks continue.

    > >> The setup: one hotmail account, with about 10 emails a day on the
    > >> average. Win 2k. I
    > >> --used the default theme,
    > >> --deleted all *.msf files in all directories,
    > >> --set mail.purge_interval_timer to 10000,
    > >> --turned off auto-save on compose, and
    > >> --turned off alerts.
    > >> I let TB run and noted thememoryusage every night at 9pm. Here are
    > >> the values:
    > >> 5-12-07 29m
    > >> 5-13-07 185m
    > >> 5-14-07 252m
    > >> 5-15-07 357m
    > >> 5-16-07 450m (around 10am)
    > >> at this point my PC collapsed. So, even with very little activity, the
    > >>memorygrows at the rate of 100m a day!!
    > >> I am currently experimenting with 1.5.0.8. Contrary to popular belief,
    > >> even 1.5.0.8 leaks, albeit less severely.

    > >> --Hope the developers can fix thememoryleak. It will be a shame to
    > >> abandon such a great email client.

    > (have to find it before developers can take a whack.)
    >
    > that's a ton ofmemoryat ridiculously small # of 10 messages per day.
    > what's typical MAX message size?
    > what version of webmail extension?
    > what version of hotmail extension?
    >
    > doesmemoryusage substantially improve if you use thunderbird v2 ?
    > (put v2 into a separate directory by selecting "custom" during install
    > and specifying a special dir name)
    >
    > W.

    Dear Wayne: max message size is no more than 10k; webmail extension
    1.0.17 and webmail-hotmail 1.0.23. Will try TB 2 after my experiments
    with 1.5.0.8
    --thanks
    --ram

  9. Re: Memory leak in TB 1.5.0.10

    On May 16, 9:10 pm, "Moz Champion (Dan)"
    wrote:
    > ram wrote:
    > > Sorry about this new post; Google is not letting me reply to any of
    > > the other messages in the old topic "SeverreMemory...".
    > > Dear Wayne and Stef: I have been monitoring TB 1.5.0.10, after
    > > implementing all the suggestions of Wayne. Here are the results. In a
    > > nutshell, nothing helps--memoryleaks continue.

    > > The setup: one hotmail account, with about 10 emails a day on the
    > > average. Win 2k. I
    > > --used the default theme,
    > > --deleted all *.msf files in all directories,
    > > --set mail.purge_interval_timer to 10000,
    > > --turned off auto-save on compose, and
    > > --turned off alerts.
    > > I let TB run and noted thememoryusage every night at 9pm. Here are
    > > the values:
    > > 5-12-07 29m
    > > 5-13-07 185m
    > > 5-14-07 252m
    > > 5-15-07 357m
    > > 5-16-07 450m (around 10am)
    > > at this point my PC collapsed. So, even with very little activity, the
    > >memorygrows at the rate of 100m a day!!
    > > I am currently experimenting with 1.5.0.8. Contrary to popular belief,
    > > even 1.5.0.8 leaks, albeit less severely.

    > > --Hope the developers can fix thememoryleak. It will be a shame to
    > > abandon such a great email client.

    > > --cheers
    > > --ram

    > How much email are you getting per day?

    Dear Dan: As I mentioned to Wayne's message, I get about 10 emails
    (each one no more than 10k bytes) long.
    --ram

  10. Re: Memory leak in TB 1.5.0.10

    ram wrote:
    > Sorry about this new post; Google is not letting me reply to any of
    > the other messages in the old topic "Severre Memory ...".
    > Dear Wayne and Stef: I have been monitoring TB 1.5.0.10, after
    > implementing all the suggestions of Wayne. Here are the results. In a
    > nutshell, nothing helps--memory leaks continue.
    >
    > The setup: one hotmail account, with about 10 emails a day on the
    > average. Win 2k. I
    > --used the default theme,
    > --deleted all *.msf files in all directories,
    > --set mail.purge_interval_timer to 10000,
    > --turned off auto-save on compose, and
    > --turned off alerts.
    > I let TB run and noted the memory usage every night at 9pm. Here are
    > the values:
    > 5-12-07 29m
    > 5-13-07 185m
    > 5-14-07 252m
    > 5-15-07 357m
    > 5-16-07 450m (around 10am)
    > at this point my PC collapsed. So, even with very little activity, the
    > memory grows at the rate of 100m a day!!
    > I am currently experimenting with 1.5.0.8. Contrary to popular belief,
    > even 1.5.0.8 leaks, albeit less severely.
    >
    > --Hope the developers can fix the memory leak. It will be a shame to
    > abandon such a great email client.
    >
    > --cheers
    > --ram

    Why not just shut it down once a day? Is there some real necessity for
    letting it run 24/7? Surely shutting down and restarting once a day
    wouldn't be a terrible inconvenience.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  11. Re: Memory leak in TB 1.5.0.10

    > Why not just shut it down once a day? Is there some real necessity for
    > letting it run 24/7? Surely shutting down and restarting once a day
    > wouldn't be a terrible inconvenience.

    I've even planned to make a program that shuts it down every hour or so ;-)

    cheers,
    Stef Mientki

    Kamer van Koophandel - handelsregister 41055629 / Netherlands Chamber of Commerce - trade register 41055629

  12. Re: Memory leak in TB 1.5.0.10

    On 5/21/2007 4:58 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
    > ram wrote:
    >> Sorry about this new post; Google is not letting me reply to any of
    >> the other messages in the old topic "Severre Memory ...".
    >> Dear Wayne and Stef: I have been monitoring TB 1.5.0.10, after
    >> implementing all the suggestions of Wayne. Here are the results. In a
    >> nutshell, nothing helps--memory leaks continue.
    >>
    >> The setup: one hotmail account, with about 10 emails a day on the
    >> average. Win 2k. I
    >> --used the default theme,
    >> --deleted all *.msf files in all directories,
    >> --set mail.purge_interval_timer to 10000,
    >> --turned off auto-save on compose, and
    >> --turned off alerts.
    >> I let TB run and noted the memory usage every night at 9pm. Here are
    >> the values:
    >> 5-12-07 29m
    >> 5-13-07 185m
    >> 5-14-07 252m
    >> 5-15-07 357m
    >> 5-16-07 450m (around 10am)
    >> at this point my PC collapsed. So, even with very little activity, the
    >> memory grows at the rate of 100m a day!!
    >> I am currently experimenting with 1.5.0.8. Contrary to popular belief,
    >> even 1.5.0.8 leaks, albeit less severely.
    >>
    >> --Hope the developers can fix the memory leak. It will be a shame to
    >> abandon such a great email client.
    >>
    >> --cheers
    >> --ram
    >>

    > Why not just shut it down once a day? Is there some real necessity for
    > letting it run 24/7? Surely shutting down and restarting once a day
    > wouldn't be a terrible inconvenience.

    The amount of memory loss can be worse than the above, depending on
    usage pattern and environment. So shutdown may be a reasonable
    workaround, but it is not a good long term solution. The cause needs to
    be identified.

  13. Re: Memory leak in TB 1.5.0.10

    On 5/21/2007 8:40 AM, Stef Mientki wrote:

    >> Why not just shut it down once a day? Is there some real necessity
    >> for letting it run 24/7? Surely shutting down and restarting once a
    >> day wouldn't be a terrible inconvenience.
    >>

    > I've even planned to make a program that shuts it down every hour or so ;-)
    >
    > cheers,
    > Stef Mientki

    Stef, are you also having memory problem?

+ Reply to Thread