Strange object in email messages - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Strange object in email messages - Mozilla ; Every once in a while I get a figure that looks like this: ? in an email. What is it and how can I rid myself of them? J...

  1. Strange object in email messages

    Every once in a while I get a figure that looks like this:

    ?

    in an email.

    What is it and how can I rid myself of them?

  2. Re: Strange object in email messages

    Jeffinputnam said the following:
    > Every once in a while I get a figure that looks like this:
    >
    > ?

    Sometimes it means that the writer of the email in which you see the "?"
    character has used a different Character Encoding than the one from
    which you vies the received email in your version of Thunderbird.

    For example, if I write a phrase to you:
    смерть анархистам

    then you are likely to see a bunch of "?" characters in the line above.
    You _might_ look at the source-code of this text message and see what
    charset I use, then switch to that one at your end, and see if the "?"
    is replaced with other characters.

    --

    Frobozz
    Macbook Pro 2.16 Core-Duo OS/X 10.4.9

    Thunderbird version 2.0.0.0 (20070326)

    Camino : Version 2007041201 (1.2+)

  3. Re: Strange object in email messages

    Frobozz wrote:
    > You _might_ look at the source-code of this text message and see what
    > charset I use, then switch to that one at your end, and see if the
    > "?" is replaced with other characters.

    ... Select that message > View > Message Source > Edit > Find.
    Search for 'charset=' .
    See what charset that message has .
    Goto View> Character Encoding > That charset.

    You also can do this:
    Goto Tools>Options>Display> Formatting>Font .
    uncheck 'Apply the default character ... ' option.
    Restart Thunderbird .

+ Reply to Thread