winmail.dat - Mozilla

This is a discussion on winmail.dat - Mozilla ; Any solution to the winmail.dat (attachment) issue? If so, what do I do to read attachments sent from Outlook users who use their Rich Text feature? (I do not have Outlook on my machine.) Thanks for your help. TBL...

  1. winmail.dat

    Any solution to the winmail.dat (attachment) issue? If so, what do I do
    to read attachments sent from Outlook users who use their Rich Text
    feature? (I do not have Outlook on my machine.)

    Thanks for your help.

    TBL

  2. Re: winmail.dat

    TbirdLearner wrote:
    > Any solution to the winmail.dat (attachment) issue? If so, what do I do
    > to read attachments sent from Outlook users who use their Rich Text
    > feature? (I do not have Outlook on my machine.)
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > TBL

    I don't see this problem. Please send me a message from Outlook that
    includes a winmail.dat attachment.

  3. Re: winmail.dat

    -----Original Message----- From: Moz Champion (Dan) ------ Sent:
    5/15/2007 13:56:
    > TbirdLearner wrote:
    >> Any solution to the winmail.dat (attachment) issue? If so, what do I do
    >> to read attachments sent from Outlook users who use their Rich Text
    >> feature? (I do not have Outlook on my machine.)
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help.
    >>
    >> TBL

    > I don't see this problem. Please send me a message from Outlook that
    > includes a winmail.dat attachment.

    Thanks for replying. However,

    (1) I don't have Outlook on my machine.
    (2) If I had, I would send any Word doc, or PPT, or html, or Excel file
    as an attachment, while composing the message in Rich Text, and that
    would come through to you as winmail.dat. A workaround used to be to
    forward the message in its entirety to an account which used Outlook,
    save the attachment and then delete the message.

    I was just wondering if this has now been resolved.

    Thanks again for your patience.

    TBL

  4. Re: winmail.dat

    TbirdLearner wrote:
    > -----Original Message----- From: Moz Champion (Dan) ------ Sent:
    > 5/15/2007 13:56:
    >> TbirdLearner wrote:
    >>> Any solution to the winmail.dat (attachment) issue? If so, what do I
    >>> do to read attachments sent from Outlook users who use their Rich
    >>> Text feature? (I do not have Outlook on my machine.)
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for your help.
    >>>
    >>> TBL

    >> I don't see this problem. Please send me a message from Outlook that
    >> includes a winmail.dat attachment.

    > Thanks for replying. However,
    >
    > (1) I don't have Outlook on my machine.
    > (2) If I had, I would send any Word doc, or PPT, or html, or Excel file
    > as an attachment, while composing the message in Rich Text, and that
    > would come through to you as winmail.dat. A workaround used to be to
    > forward the message in its entirety to an account which used Outlook,
    > save the attachment and then delete the message.
    >
    > I was just wondering if this has now been resolved.
    >
    > Thanks again for your patience.
    >
    > TBL

    Well, I have yet to get an attachment that I can't display, so how can I
    comment on a problem that I have never seen?

  5. Re: winmail.dat

    -----Original Message----- From: Moz Champion (Dan) ------ Sent:
    5/15/2007 14:29:
    > TbirdLearner wrote:
    >> -----Original Message----- From: Moz Champion (Dan) ------ Sent:

    >>> I don't see this problem. Please send me a message from Outlook that
    >>> includes a winmail.dat attachment.

    >> Thanks for replying. However,
    >>
    >> (1) I don't have Outlook on my machine.
    >> (2) If I had, I would send any Word doc, or PPT, or html, or Excel file
    >> as an attachment, while composing the message in Rich Text, and that
    >> would come through to you as winmail.dat. A workaround used to be to
    >> forward the message in its entirety to an account which used Outlook,
    >> save the attachment and then delete the message.
    >>
    >> I was just wondering if this has now been resolved.
    >>
    >> Thanks again for your patience.
    >>
    >> TBL

    > Well, I have yet to get an attachment that I can't display, so how can I
    > comment on a problem that I have never seen?

    I will send you (directly) a sample email that I received, which showed
    a winmail.dat attachment. (Pl don't mark my message as spam :-)) Hope
    you can help.

    Thanks
    TBL

  6. Re: winmail.dat

    TbirdLearner wrote:
    > -----Original Message----- From: Moz Champion (Dan) ------ Sent:
    > 5/15/2007 14:29:
    >> TbirdLearner wrote:
    >>> -----Original Message----- From: Moz Champion (Dan) ------ Sent:
    >>> 5/15/2007 13:56:

    >>> Thanks for replying. However,
    >>>
    >>> (1) I don't have Outlook on my machine.
    >>> (2) If I had, I would send any Word doc, or PPT, or html, or Excel
    >>> file as an attachment, while composing the message in Rich Text, and
    >>> that would come through to you as winmail.dat. A workaround used to
    >>> be to forward the message in its entirety to an account which used
    >>> Outlook, save the attachment and then delete the message.
    >>>
    >>> I was just wondering if this has now been resolved.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again for your patience.
    >>>
    >>> TBL

    >> Well, I have yet to get an attachment that I can't display, so how can
    >> I comment on a problem that I have never seen?

    > I will send you (directly) a sample email that I received, which showed
    > a winmail.dat attachment. (Pl don't mark my message as spam :-)) Hope
    > you can help.
    >
    > Thanks
    > TBL

    Um that's what I asked for previously Thank you, I await you mail

  7. Re: winmail.dat

    On Tue, 15 May 2007 07:55:04 +0530, in message ,
    TbirdLearner wrote:

    > Any solution to the winmail.dat (attachment) issue? If so, what do I do
    > to read attachments sent from Outlook users who use their Rich Text
    > feature? (I do not have Outlook on my machine.)
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    1. Here are two Windows apps for opening the winmail.dat file
    and extracting the attachments inside it.

    1.1 Fentun from http://www.fentun.com/.
    1.2 WMDecode from http://www.biblet.freeserve.co.uk/

    I use Fentun myself.

    2. I sometimes e-mail the sender, ask them to reconfigure their
    Outlook to use a non-proprietary format, and include a URL
    to a Microsoft web page which explains exactly how to do this.

    "How e-mail message formats affect Internet e-mail messages in Outlook"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290809

    "How to Prevent the Winmail.dat File from Being Sent to Internet Users"
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138053/

    Other references

    [1] Not even Outlook Express can understand winmail.dat files
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...opten.mspx#EQE

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

  8. Re: winmail.dat

    -----Original Message----- From: Ralph Fox ------ Sent: 5/15/2007 15:38:
    > On Tue, 15 May 2007 07:55:04 +0530, in message ,
    > TbirdLearner wrote:

    >> Any solution to the winmail.dat (attachment) issue? If so, what do I do
    >> to read attachments sent from Outlook users who use their Rich Text
    >> feature? (I do not have Outlook on my machine.)
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help.

    > 1. Here are two Windows apps for opening the winmail.dat file
    > and extracting the attachments inside it.
    >
    > 1.1 Fentun from http://www.fentun.com/.
    > 1.2 WMDecode from http://www.biblet.freeserve.co.uk/
    >
    > I use Fentun myself.
    >

    > 2. I sometimes e-mail the sender, ask them to reconfigure their
    > Outlook to use a non-proprietary format, and include a URL
    > to a Microsoft web page which explains exactly how to do this.
    >
    > "How e-mail message formats affect Internet e-mail messages in Outlook"
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290809
    >
    > "How to Prevent the Winmail.dat File from Being Sent to Internet Users"
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138053/
    >

    > Other references
    >
    > [1] Not even Outlook Express can understand winmail.dat files
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...opten.mspx#EQE

    Thanks, Ralph.

    Regards,
    TBL

  9. Re: winmail.dat

    TbirdLearner wrote:
    > Any solution to the winmail.dat (attachment) issue? If so, what do I do
    > to read attachments sent from Outlook users who use their Rich Text
    > feature? (I do not have Outlook on my machine.)
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > TBL

    see "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Winmail.dat_attachments#Solutions"

+ Reply to Thread