Mark crossposted message read? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Mark crossposted message read? - Mozilla ; Is there any add-ons or other ways to mark crossposted messages read in all groups when read in first group? -- Stian...

  1. Mark crossposted message read?

    --
    Stian

  2. Re: Mark crossposted message read?

    On 11/05/2007 09:29, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Stian to
    generate the following:? :
    > Is there any add-ons or other ways to mark crossposted messages read in
    > all groups when read in first group?

    a long-wanted "dream" of many-a-poster!

    reg

  3. Re: Mark crossposted message read?

    Stian wrote:
    > Is there any add-ons or other ways to mark crossposted messages read in
    > all groups when read in first group?

    See bug #43278 at .
    This was submitted almost 7 years ago.

    --

    David E. Ross
    .

    bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation. 1997

  4. Re: Mark crossposted message read?

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 11/05/2007 09:29, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Stian to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> Is there any add-ons or other ways to mark crossposted messages read
    >> in all groups when read in first group?
    >>

    > a long-wanted "dream" of many-a-poster!
    >
    > reg

    Sad thing is that Communicator 4.x had this very ability.

    Another reason developers of Mozilla/ Thunderbird should have parsed the
    old code to see how it was done there. Then ported it over.

  5. Re: Mark crossposted message read?

    *-* On Fri, 11 May 2007 11:19:38 +0200,
    *-* In Article rMmdnbDXXvaMqNnbnZ2dnUVZ_oninZ2d@mozilla.org,
    *-* squaredancer wrote
    *-* About Re: Mark crossposted message read?

    > On 11/05/2007 09:29, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Stian to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> Is there any add-ons or other ways to mark crossposted messages
    >> read in all groups when read in first group?

    > a long-wanted "dream" of many-a-poster!

    IIRC, Netscape Navigator v2.02 used to do that, at least in the
    OS/2 version.

    Ken Whiton

    FIDO: 1:132/152

  6. Re: Mark crossposted message read?

    On 11/05/2007 17:14, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused David E. Ross
    to generate the following:? :
    > Stian wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any add-ons or other ways to mark crossposted messages read in
    >> all groups when read in first group?
    >>

    > See bug #43278 at .
    > This was submitted almost 7 years ago.

    and will probably *remain there* for the next 7 years... the devs
    probably think of it as an "enhancement" rather than a bug...

    reg

  7. Re: Mark crossposted message read?

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 11/05/2007 17:14, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused David E. Ross
    > to generate the following:? :
    >> Stian wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there any add-ons or other ways to mark crossposted messages read in
    >>> all groups when read in first group?
    >>>

    >> See bug #43278 at .
    >> This was submitted almost 7 years ago.
    >>

    > and will probably *remain there* for the next 7 years... the devs
    > probably think of it as an "enhancement" rather than a bug...
    >
    > reg

    The problem is not that it might be an enhancement. The problem is a
    general antipathy amng developers against cross-posting. You can see
    that in comments in the various news.mozilla.org newsgroups.

    I sometimes get the feeling that the developers never look at newsgroups
    on the general public news servers. If they did, they might notice that
    the Big-8 Management Board (in charge of maintaining the Usenet
    hierarchy) supports cross-posting of messages involving the creation and
    deletion of existing newsgroups in order to ensure a thorough public
    discussion of those actions; while the initial messages are
    cross-posted, they are always marked "Follow-up to:
    news.groups.proposals". Other instances of legitimate (and limited)
    cross-posting can be cited.

    --

    David E. Ross
    .

    bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation. 1997

  8. Re: Mark crossposted message read?

    On 12/05/2007 1:45 PM, _David E. Ross_ spoke thusly:
    > The problem is not that it might be an enhancement. The problem is a
    > general antipathy amng developers against cross-posting. You can see
    > that in comments in the various news.mozilla.org newsgroups.

    What comments? From what I've seen, devs do more cross-posting than
    users; and as long as the logic behind the cross-post is obvious, no-one
    has any problems with it.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator