Q: How can I read old Inbox+msf backups from Thunderbird? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Q: How can I read old Inbox+msf backups from Thunderbird? - Mozilla ; Recently I found an old RAR archive of Thunderbird emails from 2003. Hmm, let's see what is inside. But how? When I create a new email account in Thunderbird and paste the files to the related mail profile folder, Thunderbird ...

  1. Q: How can I read old Inbox+msf backups from Thunderbird?

    Recently I found an old RAR archive of Thunderbird emails from 2003.
    Hmm, let's see what is inside. But how? When I create a new email
    account in Thunderbird and paste the files to the related mail profile
    folder, Thunderbird only shows up 2 emails - but the old 'Inbox' is
    more than 300 MB. So something seems to have gone wrong.

    Is there a program to read old and possibly partly corrupted
    Thunderbird mailfiles?

    Thank you all,
    Christian

  2. Re: Q: How can I read old Inbox+msf backups from Thunderbird?

    On 5/1/2007 5:33 AM On a whim, Christian Drewing pounded out on the keyboard

    > Recently I found an old RAR archive of Thunderbird emails from 2003.
    > Hmm, let's see what is inside. But how? When I create a new email
    > account in Thunderbird and paste the files to the related mail profile
    > folder, Thunderbird only shows up 2 emails - but the old 'Inbox' is
    > more than 300 MB. So something seems to have gone wrong.
    >
    > Is there a program to read old and possibly partly corrupted
    > Thunderbird mailfiles?
    >
    > Thank you all,
    > Christian

    Hi Christian,

    If the file is an "Inbox" file, rename it to Inbox-old (no extension),
    and with TB closed, place it into your existing profile where your
    current Inbox file is. Open TB and it should be there, named "Inbox-old".

    --
    Terry R.

  3. Re: Q: How can I read old Inbox+msf backups from Thunderbird?

    Christian Drewing wrote:
    > Recently I found an old RAR archive of Thunderbird emails from 2003.
    > Hmm, let's see what is inside. But how? When I create a new email
    > account in Thunderbird and paste the files to the related mail profile
    > folder, Thunderbird only shows up 2 emails - but the old 'Inbox' is
    > more than 300 MB. So something seems to have gone wrong.
    >
    > Is there a program to read old and possibly partly corrupted
    > Thunderbird mailfiles?
    >
    > Thank you all,
    > Christian

    close the program, and delete the *.msf files. They're not needed.
    Now, reopen TB. Do they show up now?

    --
    Please do not email me for help. Reply to the newsgroup only. And only
    click on the Reply button, not the Reply All one. Thanks!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

  4. Re: Q: How can I read old Inbox+msf backups from Thunderbird?

    On 01/05/2007 8:33 AM, _Christian Drewing_ spoke thusly:
    > Recently I found an old RAR archive of Thunderbird emails from 2003.
    > Hmm, let's see what is inside. But how? When I create a new email
    > account in Thunderbird and paste the files to the related mail profile
    > folder, Thunderbird only shows up 2 emails - but the old 'Inbox' is
    > more than 300 MB. So something seems to have gone wrong.
    >
    > Is there a program to read old and possibly partly corrupted
    > Thunderbird mailfiles?

    [Removed alt.fan.mozilla from the cross-post. alt.fan.mozilla is not on
    news.mozilla.org]

    It sounds like your folder has not been compacted, which means that
    messages are marked as deleted, yet not removed from the file. Make a
    copy of the Inbox file/ Open the copy in Thunderbird and compact it.
    What's the file size after compaction?
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator