Paste screencaps inline in TB messages -- possible? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Paste screencaps inline in TB messages -- possible? - Mozilla ; I want to be able to paste on-the-fly screencaptures into my Thunderbird 2 email messages, inline with the text, without having to first name and save, then attach the SCs. I can do it easily in Outlook Express 6 (with ...

  1. Paste screencaps inline in TB messages -- possible?

    I want to be able to paste on-the-fly screencaptures into my Thunderbird 2 email messages, inline with the text, without having to first name and save, then attach the SCs.

    I can do it easily in Outlook Express 6 (with WinXP). Can I do it in Thunderbird?

    Frank D

    BTW: If it's not possible in TB, I will have to switch back to OE6, in spite of the fact that I much prefer TB in every other way.

  2. Re: Paste screencaps inline in TB messages -- possible?

    Frank D wrote:
    > I want to be able to paste on-the-fly screencaptures into my Thunderbird 2 email messages, inline with the text, without having to first name and save, then attach the SCs.
    >
    > I can do it easily in Outlook Express 6 (with WinXP). Can I do it in Thunderbird?
    >
    > Frank D
    >
    > BTW: If it's not possible in TB, I will have to switch back to OE6, in spite of the fact that I much prefer TB in every other way.

    Did you try Frank ?
    I can't demonstrate here of course, but I think all manner of copy/paste
    should work fine in TB2
    copy/paste, Ctrl-c, ctrl-v, drag and drop. If you are having a problem,
    please be specific.

  3. Re: Paste screencaps inline in TB messages -- possible?

    On 23-Apr-07, at 09:14:38 (+1000 UTC), *Frank D* posted:

    >I want to be able to paste on-the-fly screencaptures into my Thunderbird 2
    >email messages, inline with the text, without having to first name and
    >save, then attach the SCs.
    >
    >I can do it easily in Outlook Express 6 (with WinXP). Can I do it in
    >Thunderbird?
    >
    >Frank D
    >
    >BTW: If it's not possible in TB, I will have to switch back to OE6, in
    >spite of the fact that I much prefer TB in every other way.

    I've done this, and it works fine if you are composing in HTML mode - that
    is, pasting the screen capture directly into the message, amongst the text.

    --
    Klaas Visser
    Sydney, Australia

    "Always and never are two words you
    should always remember never to use."

  4. Re: Paste screencaps inline in TB messages -- possible?

    In news:15-dnQHa5-ZJcrbbnZ2dnUVZ_tyinZ2d@mozilla.org,
    JoeS typed:
    | Frank D wrote:
    || I want to be able to paste on-the-fly screencaptures into my
    || Thunderbird 2 email messages, inline with the text, without having
    || to first name and save, then attach the SCs.
    || I can do it easily in Outlook Express 6 (with WinXP). Can I do it in
    || Thunderbird?
    || Frank D
    || BTW: If it's not possible in TB, I will have to switch back to OE6,
    || in spite of the fact that I much prefer TB in every other way.
    |
    | Did you try Frank ?
    | I can't demonstrate here of course, but I think all manner of
    | copy/paste should work fine in TB2
    | copy/paste, Ctrl-c, ctrl-v, drag and drop. If you are having a
    | problem, please be specific.

    JoeS,

    Yes, I did try. When I grab the screencapture and paste it into an Outlook Express email message, it works perfectly. There's text above and below each screencapture I insert, so the flow of the message is great. My recipients describe my pictures and text in the message exactly as it was when I sent it.

    (Note: I tried to paste a screencapture in this newsgroup post, but OE automatically attached it as a JPG, and would not send it to the newsgroup or the newsgroup wouldn't accept it, as I found out. Does this newsgroup support or allow inline or attached images? I assume not.)

    When I try to do the same thing in Thunderbird I get nothing -- just a flashing cursor where the picture ought to be. I also tried the "Paste" command from the right-click menu on the message area, and the Edit>Paste command from the Edit menu, and Ctrl-V. Same result: nothing. I can't use drag and drop, because the screencapture is in the clipboard.

    Joe, would you please try it and see if it works for you? If it does, then maybe I've got something set up wrong in Thunderbird and I would appreciate any help you might offer in changing my settings. Thank you.

    Frank D

  5. Re: Paste screencaps inline in TB messages -- possible?

    In news:xn0f5anta8o3o2001@news.mozilla.org,
    Klaas Visser typed:
    | On 23-Apr-07, at 09:14:38 (+1000 UTC), *Frank D* posted:
    |
    || I want to be able to paste on-the-fly screencaptures into my
    || Thunderbird 2 email messages, inline with the text, without having
    || to first name and save, then attach the SCs.
    || I can do it easily in Outlook Express 6 (with WinXP). Can I do it in
    || Thunderbird?
    || Frank D
    || BTW: If it's not possible in TB, I will have to switch back to OE6,
    || in spite of the fact that I much prefer TB in every other way.
    |

    | I've done this, and it works fine if you are composing in HTML mode -
    | that is, pasting the screen capture directly into the message,
    | amongst the text.

    Thanks for your reply, Klaas.

    Whether I work in Outlook Express or Thunderbird, I always do so in HTML mode, and only turn it off (via Format>Plain Text in OE) when I don't have any screencaps or graphics to insert.

    If you've done it, then maybe I can't because my TB2 settings are messed up. I would certainly appreciate any help you can give me there.

    Frank D

  6. Re: Paste screencaps inline in TB messages -- possible?

    Frank D wrote:
    > In news:15-dnQHa5-ZJcrbbnZ2dnUVZ_tyinZ2d@mozilla.org,
    > JoeS typed:
    > | Frank D wrote:
    > || I want to be able to paste on-the-fly screencaptures into my
    > || Thunderbird 2 email messages, inline with the text, without having
    > || to first name and save, then attach the SCs.
    > || I can do it easily in Outlook Express 6 (with WinXP). Can I do it in
    > || Thunderbird?
    > || Frank D
    > || BTW: If it's not possible in TB, I will have to switch back to OE6,
    > || in spite of the fact that I much prefer TB in every other way.
    > |
    > | Did you try Frank ?
    > | I can't demonstrate here of course, but I think all manner of
    > | copy/paste should work fine in TB2
    > | copy/paste, Ctrl-c, ctrl-v, drag and drop. If you are having a
    > | problem, please be specific.
    >

    > JoeS,
    >
    > Yes, I did try. When I grab the screencapture and paste it into an Outlook Express email message, it works perfectly. There's text above and below each screencapture I insert, so the flow of the message is great. My recipients describe my pictures and text in the message exactly as it was when I sent it.
    >
    > (Note: I tried to paste a screencapture in this newsgroup post, but OE automatically attached it as a JPG, and would not send it to the newsgroup or the newsgroup wouldn't accept it, as I found out. Does this newsgroup support or allow inline or attached images? I assume not.)
    >
    > When I try to do the same thing in Thunderbird I get nothing -- just a flashing cursor where the picture ought to be. I also tried the "Paste" command from the right-click menu on the message area, and the Edit>Paste command from the Edit menu, and Ctrl-V. Same result: nothing. I can't use drag and drop, because the screencapture is in the clipboard.
    >
    > Joe, would you please try it and see if it works for you? If it does, then maybe I've got something set up wrong in Thunderbird and I would appreciate any help you might offer in changing my settings. Thank you.
    >
    > Frank D

    Actually Frank, I do this sort of thing every day. This is the only
    place that I use plaintext, because that is required here. The server
    blocks all binaries here, so you will have no luck at all, even as an
    attachment. Try in a place that is intended for that purpose:
    mozilla.test.multimedia on this server.
    Be sure to read the "how to post" thread
    JoeS

  7. Re: Paste screencaps inline in TB messages -- possible?

    In news:8KOdndf-5cQ0jbHbnZ2dnUVZ_o2vnZ2d@mozilla.org,
    JoeS typed:
    | Frank D wrote:
    || In news:15-dnQHa5-ZJcrbbnZ2dnUVZ_tyinZ2d@mozilla.org,
    || JoeS typed:
    ||| Did you try Frank ?
    ||| I can't demonstrate here of course, but I think all manner of
    ||| copy/paste should work fine in TB2
    ||| copy/paste, Ctrl-c, ctrl-v, drag and drop. If you are having a
    ||| problem, please be specific.
    || JoeS,
    || Yes, I did try. When I grab the screencapture and paste it into an
    || Outlook Express email message, it works perfectly. There's text
    || above and below each screencapture I insert, so the flow of the
    || message is great. My recipients describe my pictures and text in the
    || message exactly as it was when I sent it.
    || (Note: I tried to paste a screencapture in this newsgroup post, but
    || OE automatically attached it as a JPG, and would not send it to the
    || newsgroup or the newsgroup wouldn't accept it, as I found out. Does
    || this newsgroup support or allow inline or attached images? I assume
    || not.)
    || When I try to do the same thing in Thunderbird I get nothing -- just
    || a flashing cursor where the picture ought to be. I also tried the
    || "Paste" command from the right-click menu on the message area, and
    || the Edit>Paste command from the Edit menu, and Ctrl-V. Same result:
    || nothing. I can't use drag and drop, because the screencapture is in
    || the clipboard.
    || Joe, would you please try it and see if it works for you? If it
    || does, then maybe I've got something set up wrong in Thunderbird and
    || I would appreciate any help you might offer in changing my settings.
    || Thank you.
    || Frank D
    | Actually Frank, I do this sort of thing every day. This is the only
    | place that I use plaintext, because that is required here. The server
    | blocks all binaries here, so you will have no luck at all, even as an
    | attachment. Try in a place that is intended for that purpose:
    | mozilla.test.multimedia on this server.
    | Be sure to read the "how to post" thread
    | JoeS

    OK, Joe, as you suggested I've posted a reply to this message -- using OE 6 with an inline screencapture -- on the mozilla.test.multimedia group, using the same Subject line.

    Frank D

  8. Re: Paste screencaps inline in TB messages -- possible?

    On 23-Apr-07, at 11:35:06 (+1000 UTC), *Frank D* posted:

    >In news:xn0f5anta8o3o2001@news.mozilla.org,
    >Klaas Visser typed:
    >> On 23-Apr-07, at 09:14:38 (+1000 UTC), *Frank D* posted:
    >>
    >>> I want to be able to paste on-the-fly screencaptures into my
    >>> Thunderbird 2 email messages, inline with the text, without having
    >>> to first name and save, then attach the SCs.
    >>>
    >>> I can do it easily in Outlook Express 6 (with WinXP). Can I do it in
    >>> Thunderbird?
    >>>
    >>> Frank D
    >>>
    >>> BTW: If it's not possible in TB, I will have to switch back to OE6,
    >>> in spite of the fact that I much prefer TB in every other way.

    >> I've done this, and it works fine if you are composing in HTML mode -
    >> that is, pasting the screen capture directly into the message,
    >> amongst the text.

    >Thanks for your reply, Klaas.
    >
    >Whether I work in Outlook Express or Thunderbird, I always do so in HTML
    >mode, and only turn it off (via Format>Plain Text in OE) when I don't have
    >any screencaps or graphics to insert.
    >
    >If you've done it, then maybe I can't because my TB2 settings are messed
    >up. I would certainly appreciate any help you can give me there.
    >
    >Frank D

    Don't forget to set View > Message Body As > Original HTML, if you want to
    see your message with the embedded captures.

    That would be my first guess.

    --
    Klaas Visser
    Sydney, Australia

    "Always and never are two words you
    should always remember never to use."

  9. Re: Paste screencaps inline in TB messages -- possible?

    Frank D wrote:
    > In news:15-dnQHa5-ZJcrbbnZ2dnUVZ_tyinZ2d@mozilla.org,
    > JoeS typed:
    > | Frank D wrote:
    > || I want to be able to paste on-the-fly screencaptures into my
    > || Thunderbird 2 email messages, inline with the text, without having
    > || to first name and save, then attach the SCs.
    > || I can do it easily in Outlook Express 6 (with WinXP). Can I do it in
    > || Thunderbird?
    > || Frank D
    > || BTW: If it's not possible in TB, I will have to switch back to OE6,
    > || in spite of the fact that I much prefer TB in every other way.
    > |
    > | Did you try Frank ?
    > | I can't demonstrate here of course, but I think all manner of
    > | copy/paste should work fine in TB2
    > | copy/paste, Ctrl-c, ctrl-v, drag and drop. If you are having a
    > | problem, please be specific.
    >

    > JoeS,
    >
    > Yes, I did try. When I grab the screencapture and paste it into an Outlook Express email message, it works perfectly. There's text above and below each screencapture I insert, so the flow of the message is great. My recipients describe my pictures and text in the message exactly as it was when I sent it.
    >
    > (Note: I tried to paste a screencapture in this newsgroup post, but OE automatically attached it as a JPG, and would not send it to the newsgroup or the newsgroup wouldn't accept it, as I found out. Does this newsgroup support or allow inline or attached images? I assume not.)
    >
    > When I try to do the same thing in Thunderbird I get nothing -- just a flashing cursor where the picture ought to be. I also tried the "Paste" command from the right-click menu on the message area, and the Edit>Paste command from the Edit menu, and Ctrl-V. Same result: nothing. I can't use drag and drop, because the screencapture is in the clipboard.
    >
    > Joe, would you please try it and see if it works for you? If it does, then maybe I've got something set up wrong in Thunderbird and I would appreciate any help you might offer in changing my settings. Thank you.
    >
    > Frank D

    First, you must be in HTML mode as plain text means just that. Second,
    you can't post binaries to this group as Google which runs the servers
    won't allow it.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  10. Re: Paste screencaps inline in TB messages -- possible?

    In news:Ha2dnWkPweOM5LHbnZ2dnUVZ_sTinZ2d@mozilla.org,
    Ron Hunter typed:
    | Frank D wrote:
    || In news:15-dnQHa5-ZJcrbbnZ2dnUVZ_tyinZ2d@mozilla.org,
    || JoeS typed:
    ||| Did you try Frank ?
    ||| I can't demonstrate here of course, but I think all manner of
    ||| copy/paste should work fine in TB2
    ||| copy/paste, Ctrl-c, ctrl-v, drag and drop. If you are having a
    ||| problem, please be specific.
    || JoeS,
    || Yes, I did try. When I grab the screencapture and paste it into an
    || Outlook Express email message, it works perfectly. There's text
    || above and below each screencapture I insert, so the flow of the
    || message is great. My recipients describe my pictures and text in the
    || message exactly as it was when I sent it.
    || (Note: I tried to paste a screencapture in this newsgroup post, but
    || OE automatically attached it as a JPG, and would not send it to the
    || newsgroup or the newsgroup wouldn't accept it, as I found out. Does
    || this newsgroup support or allow inline or attached images? I assume
    || not.)
    || When I try to do the same thing in Thunderbird I get nothing -- just
    || a flashing cursor where the picture ought to be. I also tried the
    || "Paste" command from the right-click menu on the message area, and
    || the Edit>Paste command from the Edit menu, and Ctrl-V. Same result:
    || nothing. I can't use drag and drop, because the screencapture is in
    || the clipboard.
    || Joe, would you please try it and see if it works for you? If it
    || does, then maybe I've got something set up wrong in Thunderbird and
    || I would appreciate any help you might offer in changing my settings.
    || Thank you.
    || Frank D
    |
    | First, you must be in HTML mode as plain text means just that.
    | Second, you can't post binaries to this group as Google which runs
    | the servers won't allow it.

    Thanks, Ron. I just learned that from JoeS. I've now posted my reply on the mozilla.test.multimedia group. (I always send graphics in HTML mode.)

    Frank

  11. Re: Paste screencaps inline in TB messages -- possible?

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > First, you must be in HTML mode as plain text means just that.
    > Second, you can't post binaries to this group as Google which runs the
    > servers won't allow it.

    Since when is Google running news.mozilla.com?!? (Oh no! Google's taking
    over everything! Now it's got Mozilla! ;-) )
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    I said "NO" to drugs, but they didn't listen.

  12. Re: Paste screencaps inline in TB messages -- possible?

    On 23/04/2007 16:41, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Frank D to
    generate the following:? :
> [...]
    > | the top menu.
    > | Hold down shift, and click on write or reply to toggle between plain
    > | text and html
    > | Joe
    >
    > OK!!!! Mystery solved. Here's the answer:
    >
    > When I grab my screencaptures, it's using a freeware app called "Snippy" (http://www.bhelpuri.net/Snippy/), NOT using PrintScreen (or Alt + PrintScreen). This app works fine in Outlook Express 6, but *not* in Thunderbird 2.
    >
    > However, when using PrintScreen (or Alt + PrintScreen) in Thunderbird the screencapture works!!!
    >
    > The only down side (and it's a small one) to this is that I can't capture just a small part of the screen or window -- it's all or nothing. I can live with that.
    >
    > Thank you all for your help!
    >
    > Frank D
    >
    > P.S. I've also posted this reply in the mozilla.test.multimedia group.

    I get around that limitation in that I paste to (the XP-version of) MS
    Paint, perform any "editing" (putting text and/or frames in), cutting
    the area I need, paste (from Clipboard) to TB.
    A bit more work, but it functions.... and I have nothing else to do, anyway!

    reg

  13. Re: Paste screencaps inline in TB messages -- possible?

    In news:eoudncnQv-QET7HbnZ2dnUVZ_ojinZ2d@mozilla.org,
    squaredancer typed:
    | On 23/04/2007 16:41, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Frank D to
    | generate the following:? :
    || In
    || JoeS typed:
    ||| squaredancer wrote:
    ||| On 23/04/2007 04:59, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Frank D
    ||| to generate the following:? :
    ||| Actually Frank, I do this sort of thing every day. This is the only
    ||| place that I use plaintext, because that is required here. The
    ||| server blocks all binaries here, so you will have no luck at all,
    ||| even as an attachment. Try in a place that is intended for that
    ||| purpose: mozilla.test.multimedia on this server.
    ||| Be sure to read the "how to post" thread
    ||| JoeS
    ||| =========================================
    ||| Joe,
    ||| Following up on your suggestion, here is one of my screencaptures in
    ||| OE6. I hope you can see it:
    ||| As I said to you previously,
    ||| Is there anything I can do to Thunderbird 2 to make it work with
    ||| inline graphics, just like OE6? Thank you!
    ||| Frank
    ||| testing the same here:
    ||| 1) screencapture with Alt+Print (gets active window)
    ||| 2) RIGHTclick and Paste follows below
    ||| 3) dragged corner to reduce size
    ||| TB 1.5.0.9 (works, so don't update to TB2)
    ||| compose in HTML mode
    ||| send in HTML only
    ||| reg
    ||| Right,
    ||| You must be inHTML mode to insert or paste ant images.
    ||| You cab tell that by the presence of the format and insert buttons
    ||| on the top menu.
    ||| Hold down shift, and click on write or reply to toggle between plain
    ||| text and html
    ||| Joe
    || OK!!!! Mystery solved. Here's the answer:
    || When I grab my screencaptures, it's using a freeware app called
    || "Snippy" (http://www.bhelpuri.net/Snippy/), NOT using PrintScreen
    || (or Alt + PrintScreen). This app works fine in Outlook Express 6,
    || but *not* in Thunderbird 2.
    || However, when using PrintScreen (or Alt + PrintScreen) in
    || Thunderbird the screencapture works!!!
    || The only down side (and it's a small one) to this is that I can't
    || capture just a small part of the screen or window -- it's all or
    || nothing. I can live with that.
    || Thank you all for your help!
    || Frank D
    || P.S. I've also posted this reply in the mozilla.test.multimedia
    || group.
    | I get around that limitation in that I paste to (the XP-version of) MS
    | Paint, perform any "editing" (putting text and/or frames in), cutting
    | the area I need, paste (from Clipboard) to TB.
    | A bit more work, but it functions.... and I have nothing else to do,
    | anyway!
    |
    | reg

    Good suggestion for when I have something I really want to make clear or dress up.

    Thanks again!

    Frank

  14. Re: Paste screencaps inline in TB messages -- possible?

    On 2007-04-23 03:14 (-0600 UTC), Ron Hunter wrote:

    > Second,
    > you can't post binaries to this group as Google which runs the servers
    > won't allow it.

    s/Google/Giganews/

    --
    /b.

    String quartets don't march very well.
    --Donald Barthelme, /The Dead Father/

  15. Re: Paste screencaps inline in TB messages -- possible?

    Frank D wrote:
> [...]
    > | the top menu.
    > | Hold down shift, and click on write or reply to toggle between plain
    > | text and html
    > | Joe
    >
    > OK!!!! Mystery solved. Here's the answer:
    >
    > When I grab my screencaptures, it's using a freeware app called "Snippy" (http://www.bhelpuri.net/Snippy/), NOT using PrintScreen (or Alt + PrintScreen). This app works fine in Outlook Express 6, but *not* in Thunderbird 2.
    >
    > However, when using PrintScreen (or Alt + PrintScreen) in Thunderbird the screencapture works!!!
    >
    > The only down side (and it's a small one) to this is that I can't capture just a small part of the screen or window -- it's all or nothing. I can live with that.
    >
    > Thank you all for your help!
    >
    > Frank D
    >
    > P.S. I've also posted this reply in the mozilla.test.multimedia group.

    If the Snippy program were using the system's facilities properly, that
    wouldn't be a problem. It looks like it was written to work only with
    IE. You might drop a line to the people who wrote Snippy and let them
    know there is a large, and growing, number of users who don't use IE.
    Changing the way they handle clips shouldn't be a major problem.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

+ Reply to Thread