Non Printing Characters - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Non Printing Characters - Mozilla ; I am new to Thunderbird and cannot find an option that gives me non-printing characters. Is thsi possible? Thanks, Robin Chapple...

  1. Non Printing Characters

    I am new to Thunderbird and cannot find an option that gives me non-printing
    characters.

    Is thsi possible?

    Thanks,

    Robin Chapple

  2. Re: Non Printing Characters

    Robin Chapple wrote:
    > I am new to Thunderbird and cannot find an option that gives me non-printing
    > characters.
    >
    > Is thsi possible?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Robin Chapple

    Make it sure that you are composing in HTML format.
    in compose window , goto Insert>Character & symbols.

  3. Re: Non Printing Characters

    On 21/04/2007 12:21, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Robin Chapple
    to generate the following:? :
    > I am new to Thunderbird and cannot find an option that gives me non-printing
    > characters.
    >
    > Is thsi possible?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Robin Chapple

    to insert the "non-printables" (and any other character) in ASCII code,
    hold the Alt key and type in the decimal number (see list at
    http://www.neurophys.wisc.edu/comp/docs/ascii.html ) on the number pad
    (not the top keypad row).

    IIRC, the non-printables are 000 - 031.
    In the old MS-DOS days, they were called "Escape Characters" as the
    input was via the Esc key... dunno if that method is still required to
    get to the Non-Printables??? I haven't had need for them since my 5- and
    8-hole tickertape days!
    032 is the Space character.

    With a laptop, you can set the Num-Pad to be on the Keypad, where....
    M=0,
    J=1, K=2, L=3
    U=4. I=5, O=6
    7=7, 8=8, 9=9
    You'll have to look for the math keys, as they vary according to your
    keyboard locale!

    On my Acer, it is the "third function" of the respective key - hold Fn
    and click F11 sets the a.m. keys to Numberpad, but don't forget to
    "reset to alpha" when you're finished....

    You can see an ANSI-codelist here...
    http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/files...f/pg9ansi2.htm
    or at http://cloford.com/resources/charcodes/symbols.htm
    but the "non-printables" are shown as not-supported by windows!

    Use the ANSI code in the same way, but precede it with a zero (ie 0070 = F)

    reg

  4. Re: Non Printing Characters

    On 21/04/2007 14:06, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Nir to
    generate the following:? :
    > Robin Chapple wrote:
    >
    >> I am new to Thunderbird and cannot find an option that gives me non-printing
    >> characters.
    >>
    >> Is thsi possible?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Robin Chapple
    >>

    > Make it sure that you are composing in HTML format.
    > in compose window , goto Insert>Character & symbols.

    this method doesn't use the ASCII code but the ANSI... The ANSI doesn't
    support the non-printables (ASCII 000-031)

    Probably long, long before your time :-P

    reg

+ Reply to Thread