Two computers, two behaviors - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Two computers, two behaviors - Mozilla ; TB 1.5.0.10 This has me pretty puzzled. I subscribe to a mailing list for folks who like the Vanagon vans that VW made in the 1980s. To be able to post, you have to submit your email address for approval, ...

  1. Two computers, two behaviors

    TB 1.5.0.10

    This has me pretty puzzled. I subscribe to a mailing list for folks who
    like the Vanagon vans that VW made in the 1980s. To be able to post, you
    have to submit your email address for approval, and once approved, list
    messages are forwarded to that address, and posts from that address are
    forwarded to other listees.

    I have two gmail accounts, and use TB to POP access both. I use one for
    personal emails, the other is for that Vanagon list. Call them
    "personal@gmail.com" and "vanagon@gmail.com"

    vanagon@gmail.com is a member of that VW list.

    I have two computers, both with TB, and both have the two gmail accounts
    on them.

    On Computer 1, I receive list messages on vanagon@gmail.com, and any
    messages I send with that account are posted to the group. Normal,
    expected operation.

    But on Computer 2, although I can receive messages on vanagon@gmail.com,
    any messages I send from that account are rejected by the list's server.
    They are bounced back to personal@gmail.com, and state that
    personal@gmail.com does not have permission to post to the list.

    If I send a message from vanagon@gmail.com to some other email address,
    like my business address, the header shows From: personal@gmail.com

    I have checked the account properties for Computer 2's
    vanagon@gmail.com, and there is nothing about personal@gmail.com in any
    of the account information. Email Address is vanagon@gmail.com, Reply-to
    is vanagon@gmail.com. When I compose the messages, the From: line shows
    vanagon@gmail.com. But these messages get received From: personal@gmail.com

    It's as if TB is ignoring the account's server properties.
    --

    Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
    71 Type 2: the Wonderbus

  2. Re: Two computers, two behaviors

    On 20/04/2007 4:22 PM, _Mike Rocket J Squirrel_ spoke thusly:
    > TB 1.5.0.10
    >
    > This has me pretty puzzled. I subscribe to a mailing list for folks who
    > like the Vanagon vans that VW made in the 1980s. To be able to post, you
    > have to submit your email address for approval, and once approved, list
    > messages are forwarded to that address, and posts from that address are
    > forwarded to other listees.
    >
    > I have two gmail accounts, and use TB to POP access both. I use one for
    > personal emails, the other is for that Vanagon list. Call them
    > "personal@gmail.com" and "vanagon@gmail.com"
    >
    > vanagon@gmail.com is a member of that VW list.
    >
    > I have two computers, both with TB, and both have the two gmail accounts
    > on them.
    >
    > On Computer 1, I receive list messages on vanagon@gmail.com, and any
    > messages I send with that account are posted to the group. Normal,
    > expected operation.
    >
    > But on Computer 2, although I can receive messages on vanagon@gmail.com,
    > any messages I send from that account are rejected by the list's server.
    > They are bounced back to personal@gmail.com, and state that
    > personal@gmail.com does not have permission to post to the list.
    >
    > If I send a message from vanagon@gmail.com to some other email address,
    > like my business address, the header shows From: personal@gmail.com

    That's Gmail's SMTP server. The Gmail SMTP server ignores your "From"
    header, and replaces it with the address used for that Gmail account (or
    puts something like "'so and so'@gmail.com on behalf of 'so and so'".

    Make sure the SMTP server you are using for vanagon@gmail.com on
    computer2, is using the vanagon@gmail.com SMTP username.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  3. Re: Two computers, two behaviors

    Chris Ilias typed:
    > On 20/04/2007 4:22 PM, _Mike Rocket J Squirrel_ spoke thusly:
    >> TB 1.5.0.10
    >>
    >> This has me pretty puzzled. I subscribe to a mailing list for folks
    >> who like the Vanagon vans that VW made in the 1980s. To be able to
    >> post, you have to submit your email address for approval, and once
    >> approved, list messages are forwarded to that address, and posts from
    >> that address are forwarded to other listees.
    >>
    >> I have two gmail accounts, and use TB to POP access both. I use one
    >> for personal emails, the other is for that Vanagon list. Call them
    >> "personal@gmail.com" and "vanagon@gmail.com"
    >>
    >> vanagon@gmail.com is a member of that VW list.
    >>
    >> I have two computers, both with TB, and both have the two gmail
    >> accounts on them.
    >>
    >> On Computer 1, I receive list messages on vanagon@gmail.com, and any
    >> messages I send with that account are posted to the group. Normal,
    >> expected operation.
    >>
    >> But on Computer 2, although I can receive messages on
    >> vanagon@gmail.com, any messages I send from that account are rejected
    >> by the list's server. They are bounced back to personal@gmail.com, and
    >> state that personal@gmail.com does not have permission to post to the
    >> list.
    >>
    >> If I send a message from vanagon@gmail.com to some other email
    >> address, like my business address, the header shows From:
    >> personal@gmail.com

    > That's Gmail's SMTP server. The Gmail SMTP server ignores your "From"
    > header, and replaces it with the address used for that Gmail account (or
    > puts something like "'so and so'@gmail.com on behalf of 'so and so'".
    >
    > Make sure the SMTP server you are using for vanagon@gmail.com on
    > computer2, is using the vanagon@gmail.com SMTP username.

    He swings, he hits.

    That was it. Computer 1 was using another SMTP to send. Computer 2 was
    signing on to smtp.gmail as personal@gmail.com. I created a second gmail
    smtp server to use for the vanagon@gmail.com, using vanagon@gmail.com to
    sign on with, and all is good. Thanks for the help, Chris.

    BTW, how'd you know gmail's smtp ignored the "From:" header?

    -- mike elliott

+ Reply to Thread