Add-ons in TB 2 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Add-ons in TB 2 - Mozilla ; Before I download and upgrade to Thunderbird 2.0 I'd like to know about the state of Add-ons for the new version. In particular I relay heavily on these Add-ons: Signature Zombie Keys Nostalgy GMailUI Any insight is appreciated. Thanks, CJ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. Add-ons in TB 2

    Before I download and upgrade to Thunderbird 2.0 I'd like to know about the state of Add-ons for the new version. In particular I relay heavily on these Add-ons:

    Signature
    Zombie Keys
    Nostalgy
    GMailUI

    Any insight is appreciated. Thanks,

    CJ

  2. Re: Add-ons in TB 2

    CJ wrote:
    > Before I download and upgrade to Thunderbird 2.0 I'd like to know about
    > the state of Add-ons for the new version. In particular I relay heavily
    > on these Add-ons:
    >
    > Signature
    > Zombie Keys
    > Nostalgy
    > GMailUI
    >
    > Any insight is appreciated. Thanks,
    >
    > CJ

    I use many Tb add-ons, but none of these, so I can only answer "in general":

    - Most of the addons which work with Tb1.5 have already been made compatible
    with Tb2.
    - Some are marked as "incompatible" although they actually work. Overriding
    version compatibility is all that is required for these (in which case they
    are still shown as "incompatible" but not disabled), and that override is much
    easier to activate in Tb2 than in previous versions.
    - A few are really incompatible, and don't work with the new version, or
    produce ugly symptoms.

    Note that the "MR Tech Local Install" extension (also for Fx) makes enabling
    and disabling individual extensions (without uninstalling them) really easy.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    .... But the reward of a successful collaboration is a thing that cannot
    be produced by either of the parties working alone. It is akin to the

  3. Re: Add-ons in TB 2

    CJ wrote:
    > Before I download and upgrade to Thunderbird 2.0 I'd like to know about
    > the state of Add-ons for the new version. In particular I relay heavily
    > on these Add-ons:
    >
    > Signature
    > Zombie Keys
    > Nostalgy
    > GMailUI

    GMailUI works w/ TB2, don't know about the othres. As Tony said, the MR
    Tech Local Install ext makes overriding compatibility quite simple.

    Regards,

    Margaret

  4. Re: Add-ons in TB 2

    Tony Mechelynck wrote:

    > - Some are marked as "incompatible" although they actually work.
    > Overriding version compatibility is all that is required for these (in
    > which case they are still shown as "incompatible" but not disabled), and
    > that override is much easier to activate in Tb2 than in previous versions.

    Out of idle curiosity, how would one override incompatibility with
    add-ons? For example, suppose I wanted to run the Mail Redirect add-on
    (which is listed as incompatible). How would I go about installing and
    enabling this or some other add-on?

    --
    "It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care..."

    - Chris

  5. Re: Add-ons in TB 2

    Christopher Forte wrote:
    > Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    >
    >> - Some are marked as "incompatible" although they actually work.
    >> Overriding version compatibility is all that is required for these
    >> (in which case they are still shown as "incompatible" but not
    >> disabled), and that override is much easier to activate in Tb2 than
    >> in previous versions.

    > Out of idle curiosity, how would one override incompatibility with
    > add-ons? For example, suppose I wanted to run the Mail Redirect add-on
    > (which is listed as incompatible). How would I go about installing and
    > enabling this or some other add-on?

    Use the Nightly Tester Tools:
    http://www.oxymoronical.com/web/firefox/nightly
    --
    Andrew DeFaria
    If you mated a bulldog and a ****su, would it be called a bull****?

  6. Re: Add-ons in TB 2

    Christopher Forte wrote:

    > Out of idle curiosity, how would one override incompatibility with
    > add-ons? For example, suppose I wanted to run the Mail Redirect add-on
    > (which is listed as incompatible). How would I go about installing and
    > enabling this or some other add-on?

    "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Extensions.checkCompatibility"

  7. Re: Add-ons in TB 2

    In article ,
    twokatmew@nospam.gmail.com.invalid says...

    > GMailUI works w/ TB2, don't know about the othres. As Tony said, the MR
    > Tech Local Install ext makes overriding compatibility quite simple.

    That'd be OK - except my TB2 is telling me that MR Tech Local Install
    itself is incompatible and has been disabled for my protection! Oh the
    irony

    I guess we'll just have to wait until all the extension writers get
    their updates out there.

    --

    NightStalker

  8. Re: Add-ons in TB 2

    On 19/04/2007 8:46 AM, _Christopher Forte_ spoke thusly:
    > Out of idle curiosity, how would one override incompatibility with
    > add-ons? For example, suppose I wanted to run the Mail Redirect add-on
    > (which is listed as incompatible). How would I go about installing and
    > enabling this or some other add-on?

    In addition to the other answers, you should read this:

    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  9. Re: Add-ons in TB 2

    Hmm, that's interesting. When I upgrade to TB2.0, I got no complaint
    that MR Tech Local Install was not compatible. What version of MRTLI
    are you using? I have v5.3.2.3, and according to the Mozilla addons
    site, this ext should work with TB versions to 3.0a1.

    http://tinyurl.com/293shh

    Regards,

    Margaret

    NightStalker wrote:
    > In article ,
    > twokatmew@nospam.gmail.com.invalid says...
    >> GMailUI works w/ TB2, don't know about the othres. As Tony said, the MR
    >> Tech Local Install ext makes overriding compatibility quite simple.
    >>

    > That'd be OK - except my TB2 is telling me that MR Tech Local Install
    > itself is incompatible and has been disabled for my protection! Oh the
    > irony
    >
    > I guess we'll just have to wait until all the extension writers get
    > their updates out there.

  10. Re: Add-ons in TB 2

    In article <__-dnRjbPuJ_e7rbnZ2dnUVZ_uGknZ2d@mozilla.org>,
    twokatmew@nospam.gmail.com.invalid says...
    > Hmm, that's interesting. When I upgrade to TB2.0, I got no complaint
    > that MR Tech Local Install was not compatible. What version of MRTLI
    > are you using? I have v5.3.2.3, and according to the Mozilla addons
    > site, this ext should work with TB versions to 3.0a1.

    Hmmm - interesting. Mine is the same version 5.3.2.3, but it is telling
    me that it "requires additional items" and is "disabled for my
    protection".

    Wonder if that is because I installed TB2 over the top of v1.5.0.10?
    But other extensions are working fine, and the Contacts Sidebar
    extension just got updated OK. And the Azerty Mail theme I use was
    updated - although the icons for Extensions and Themes are both missing
    from the Addons display list box.

    Sounds like teething troubles - I night try re-installing MR Tech from
    scratch and see what happens.

    --

    NightStalker

  11. Re: Add-ons in TB 2

    In article ,
    NightStalker@somewhere.or.other says...
    > In article <__-dnRjbPuJ_e7rbnZ2dnUVZ_uGknZ2d@mozilla.org>,
    > twokatmew@nospam.gmail.com.invalid says...
    > > Hmm, that's interesting. When I upgrade to TB2.0, I got no complaint
    > > that MR Tech Local Install was not compatible. What version of MRTLI
    > > are you using? I have v5.3.2.3, and according to the Mozilla addons
    > > site, this ext should work with TB versions to 3.0a1.
    > >

    > Hmmm - interesting. Mine is the same version 5.3.2.3, but it is telling
    > me that it "requires additional items" and is "disabled for my
    > protection".
    >
    > Wonder if that is because I installed TB2 over the top of v1.5.0.10?
    > But other extensions are working fine, and the Contacts Sidebar
    > extension just got updated OK. And the Azerty Mail theme I use was
    > updated - although the icons for Extensions and Themes are both missing
    > from the Addons display list box.
    >
    > Sounds like teething troubles - I night try re-installing MR Tech from
    > scratch and see what happens.

    Nope - that didn't fix it. In fact, many of my extensions all say the
    same thing - "Requires additional items" etc as above. And MR Tech,
    freshly downloaded and saved, then installed after uninstalling the
    existing version, still gives me the same problem - all disbled for my
    protection.

    But I don't NEED protection! Help.....

    Looks like I might have to invoke GoBack and restore to just before
    putting TB2 on the system.... Bugger!

    --

    NightStalker

  12. Re: Add-ons in TB 2

    * Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    > CJ wrote:
    >> Before I download and upgrade to Thunderbird 2.0 I'd like to know
    >> about the state of Add-ons for the new version. In particular I relay
    >> heavily on these Add-ons:
    >>
    >> Signature
    >> Zombie Keys
    >> Nostalgy
    >> GMailUI
    >> Any insight is appreciated. Thanks,
    >>
    >> CJ

    > I use many Tb add-ons, but none of these, so I can only answer "in
    > general":
    >
    > - Most of the addons which work with Tb1.5 have already been made
    > compatible with Tb2.
    > - Some are marked as "incompatible" although they actually work.
    > Overriding version compatibility is all that is required for these (in
    > which case they are still shown as "incompatible" but not disabled), and
    > that override is much easier to activate in Tb2 than in previous versions.
    > - A few are really incompatible, and don't work with the new version, or
    > produce ugly symptoms.
    >
    > Note that the "MR Tech Local Install" extension (also for Fx) makes
    > enabling and disabling individual extensions (without uninstalling them)
    > really easy.
    >

    > Best regards,
    > Tony.

    Tony's note on Mr. Tech Local Install is what I've been using for six
    months, although I've seen warnings that it's dangerous.

    The extension is found at:

    After installing, for this setting go to Manger Hacks/Behavior and check
    "Disable Extension Mgr Auto Uninstall Check for Integrated Extensions."

    FYI, today when I installed TB2 it showed several that would not
    operate, but all are working with no difficulty:

    Dictionary Search 2.0.1
    Grippies 1.0.1
    Menu Editor 1.2.3.3
    Newsworthy for TB 1.5 0.2.0.4
    and believe it or not Mr. Tech himself!
    Also Contacts Add BCC Button 0.0.5 was listed. It's unnecessary as BCC
    is available in the context menu, but was put on my machine by a mousy lady.

    Also my favorite Theme, Sky Pilot hasn't yet updated, so am back to
    using Plain Jane.

    Miles

  13. Re: Add-ons in TB 2

    * NightStalker wrote:
    > In article ,
    > NightStalker@somewhere.or.other says...
    >> In article <__-dnRjbPuJ_e7rbnZ2dnUVZ_uGknZ2d@mozilla.org>,
    >> twokatmew@nospam.gmail.com.invalid says...
    >>> Hmm, that's interesting. When I upgrade to TB2.0, I got no complaint
    >>> that MR Tech Local Install was not compatible. What version of MRTLI
    >>> are you using? I have v5.3.2.3, and according to the Mozilla addons
    >>> site, this ext should work with TB versions to 3.0a1.
    >>>

    >> Hmmm - interesting. Mine is the same version 5.3.2.3, but it is telling
    >> me that it "requires additional items" and is "disabled for my
    >> protection".
    >>
    >> Wonder if that is because I installed TB2 over the top of v1.5.0.10?
    >> But other extensions are working fine, and the Contacts Sidebar
    >> extension just got updated OK. And the Azerty Mail theme I use was
    >> updated - although the icons for Extensions and Themes are both missing
    >> from the Addons display list box.
    >>
    >> Sounds like teething troubles - I night try re-installing MR Tech from
    >> scratch and see what happens.
    >>

    > Nope - that didn't fix it. In fact, many of my extensions all say the
    > same thing - "Requires additional items" etc as above. And MR Tech,
    > freshly downloaded and saved, then installed after uninstalling the
    > existing version, still gives me the same problem - all disbled for my
    > protection.
    >
    > But I don't NEED protection! Help.....
    >
    > Looks like I might have to invoke GoBack and restore to just before
    > putting TB2 on the system.... Bugger!

    Shame on you for not making a compressed zip copy of the TB folder
    before installation, or an Acronis True Image of the folder, or any such
    program.

    I also have MRTLI 5.3.2.3 and upon installation of TB2.0.0 was warned
    that it was incompatible. However, I had it set for overriding
    capability and it's working fine, just as all the others found during
    install. (see my msg above in this thread.)
    Miles

  14. Re: Add-ons in TB 2

    On 4/19/2007 8:38 PM, Tbird Leader Miles radioed the tower to announce :

    > Also my favorite Theme, Sky Pilot hasn't yet updated, so am back to
    > using Plain Jane.
    >
    > Miles

    There is a separate link at SPC site that may work in TB2. It's the
    link for FF 2 that Sailfish posted in msf aftre the FF2.0.0.0 release.
    From past observation I would expect to hear Sailfish announce his
    update in a day or two. He has a topic at Mozillazine.

    FYI, I have been doing a few SPC chrome tweaks if you interested. Most
    are font related as I am pushing the MS Nina font globally. Nina is a
    nice, clear face even down at 7 pixel size in tool tips. It achieves
    this because Mathew Carter was commissioned to design the font for the
    Windows CE OS used in Notebook computers.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  15. Re: Add-ons in TB 2

    * Ron K. wrote:
    > On 4/19/2007 8:38 PM, Tbird Leader Miles radioed the tower to announce :
    >>
    >> Also my favorite Theme, Sky Pilot hasn't yet updated, so am back to
    >> using Plain Jane.
    >>
    >> Miles

    > There is a separate link at SPC site that may work in TB2. It's the
    > link for FF 2 that Sailfish posted in msf aftre the FF2.0.0.0 release.
    > From past observation I would expect to hear Sailfish announce his
    > update in a day or two. He has a topic at Mozillazine.
    >
    > FYI, I have been doing a few SPC chrome tweaks if you interested. Most
    > are font related as I am pushing the MS Nina font globally. Nina is a
    > nice, clear face even down at 7 pixel size in tool tips. It achieves
    > this because Mathew Carter was commissioned to design the font for the
    > Windows CE OS used in Notebook computers.

    Thanks, I can wait and check Monday if Sailfish has an update.

    I haven't seen the MS Nina font, so will take a look at it. Is it
    available on MSFT's site or elsewhere? -- of course, this is related to
    your chrome tweaks which I'd like to see.
    Miles

  16. Re: Add-ons in TB 2

    On 4/19/2007 9:09 PM, Tbird Leader Miles radioed the tower to announce :
    > * Ron K. wrote:
    >> On 4/19/2007 8:38 PM, Tbird Leader Miles radioed the tower to announce :
    >>>
    >>> Also my favorite Theme, Sky Pilot hasn't yet updated, so am back to
    >>> using Plain Jane.
    >>>
    >>> Miles

    >> There is a separate link at SPC site that may work in TB2. It's the
    >> link for FF 2 that Sailfish posted in msf aftre the FF2.0.0.0
    >> release. From past observation I would expect to hear Sailfish
    >> announce his update in a day or two. He has a topic at Mozillazine.
    >>
    >> FYI, I have been doing a few SPC chrome tweaks if you interested.
    >> Most are font related as I am pushing the MS Nina font globally.
    >> Nina is a nice, clear face even down at 7 pixel size in tool tips. It
    >> achieves this because Mathew Carter was commissioned to design the
    >> font for the Windows CE OS used in Notebook computers.
    >>

    > Thanks, I can wait and check Monday if Sailfish has an update.
    >
    > I haven't seen the MS Nina font, so will take a look at it. Is it
    > available on MSFT's site or elsewhere? -- of course, this is related
    > to your chrome tweaks which I'd like to see.
    > Miles

    It will be best to wait till SPC is adapted to TB2. The font is no
    longer available from the MS typogrqaphy pages. Send me an e-mail, it's
    good.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  17. Re: Add-ons in TB 2

    Miles wrote:
    > * Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    >> CJ wrote:
    >>> Before I download and upgrade to Thunderbird 2.0 I'd like to know
    >>> about the state of Add-ons for the new version. In particular I
    >>> relay heavily on these Add-ons:
    >>>
    >>> Signature
    >>> Zombie Keys
    >>> Nostalgy
    >>> GMailUI
    >>> Any insight is appreciated. Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> CJ

    >> I use many Tb add-ons, but none of these, so I can only answer "in
    >> general":
    >>
    >> - Most of the addons which work with Tb1.5 have already been made
    >> compatible with Tb2.
    >> - Some are marked as "incompatible" although they actually work.
    >> Overriding version compatibility is all that is required for these (in
    >> which case they are still shown as "incompatible" but not disabled),
    >> and that override is much easier to activate in Tb2 than in previous
    >> versions.
    >> - A few are really incompatible, and don't work with the new version,
    >> or produce ugly symptoms.
    >>
    >> Note that the "MR Tech Local Install" extension (also for Fx) makes
    >> enabling and disabling individual extensions (without uninstalling
    >> them) really easy.
    >>

    >> Best regards,
    >> Tony.

    > Tony's note on Mr. Tech Local Install is what I've been using for six
    > months, although I've seen warnings that it's dangerous.
    >
    > The extension is found at:
    >
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/421
    >
    > After installing, for this setting go to Manger Hacks/Behavior and check
    > "Disable Extension Mgr Auto Uninstall Check for Integrated Extensions."
    >
    > FYI, today when I installed TB2 it showed several that would not
    > operate, but all are working with no difficulty:
    >
    > Dictionary Search 2.0.1
    > Grippies 1.0.1
    > Menu Editor 1.2.3.3
    > Newsworthy for TB 1.5 0.2.0.4
    > and believe it or not Mr. Tech himself!
    > Also Contacts Add BCC Button 0.0.5 was listed. It's unnecessary as BCC
    > is available in the context menu, but was put on my machine by a mousy
    > lady.
    >
    > Also my favorite Theme, Sky Pilot hasn't yet updated, so am back to
    > using Plain Jane.
    >
    > Miles

    Sigh. YES, it has been updated. I am using it here. You must download
    it from the website WITH FF2, however.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  18. Re: Add-ons in TB 2

    Margaret wrote:
    > Hmm, that's interesting. When I upgrade to TB2.0, I got no complaint
    > that MR Tech Local Install was not compatible. What version of MRTLI
    > are you using? I have v5.3.2.3, and according to the Mozilla addons
    > site, this ext should work with TB versions to 3.0a1.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/293shh

    Stupid question of the day:

    It appears that this add-on works for both FF and TB. But there are 2
    different pages for it.

    Btw: this extension FIXED a problem I was having with other extensions not
    working in TB 2.0

    --

    + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
    Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes

  19. Re: Add-ons in TB 2

    On 4/20/2007 11:56 AM, Tbird Leader Chris Barnes radioed the tower to
    announce :
    > Margaret wrote:
    >
    >> Hmm, that's interesting. When I upgrade to TB2.0, I got no complaint
    >> that MR Tech Local Install was not compatible. What version of MRTLI
    >> are you using? I have v5.3.2.3, and according to the Mozilla addons
    >> site, this ext should work with TB versions to 3.0a1.
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/293shh
    >>

    > Stupid question of the day:
    >
    > It appears that this add-on works for both FF and TB. But there are 2
    > different pages for it.
    >

    > Btw: this extension FIXED a problem I was having with other extensions not
    > working in TB 2.0

    The full filename of the extension indicates usability with Ffox,
    Mozilla Suite, Seamonkey Suite, Sunbird Calendar, and Tbird. So two
    listings at addon site would be right if one is the Ffox list and the
    other in the Tbird listing.

    The fixing of some extension compatibility is caused by Nightly Tester
    Tools Lite being included. 'Local Install' is actually a package of
    what earlier was 12 to 16 extensions. It is one of the more
    aggressively maintained extensions.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  20. Re: Add-ons in TB 2

    Miles wrote:
    > * Tony Mechelynck wrote:
    >> CJ wrote:
    >>> Before I download and upgrade to Thunderbird 2.0 I'd like to know
    >>> about the state of Add-ons for the new version. In particular I
    >>> relay heavily on these Add-ons:
    >>>
    >>> Signature
    >>> Zombie Keys
    >>> Nostalgy
    >>> GMailUI
    >>> Any insight is appreciated. Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> CJ

    >> I use many Tb add-ons, but none of these, so I can only answer "in
    >> general":
    >>
    >> - Most of the addons which work with Tb1.5 have already been made
    >> compatible with Tb2.
    >> - Some are marked as "incompatible" although they actually work.
    >> Overriding version compatibility is all that is required for these (in
    >> which case they are still shown as "incompatible" but not disabled),
    >> and that override is much easier to activate in Tb2 than in previous
    >> versions.
    >> - A few are really incompatible, and don't work with the new version,
    >> or produce ugly symptoms.
    >>
    >> Note that the "MR Tech Local Install" extension (also for Fx) makes
    >> enabling and disabling individual extensions (without uninstalling
    >> them) really easy.
    >>

    >> Best regards,
    >> Tony.

    > Tony's note on Mr. Tech Local Install is what I've been using for six
    > months, although I've seen warnings that it's dangerous.
    >
    > The extension is found at:
    >
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/421
    >
    > After installing, for this setting go to Manger Hacks/Behavior and check
    > "Disable Extension Mgr Auto Uninstall Check for Integrated Extensions."
    >
    > FYI, today when I installed TB2 it showed several that would not
    > operate, but all are working with no difficulty:
    >
    > Dictionary Search 2.0.1
    > Grippies 1.0.1
    > Menu Editor 1.2.3.3
    > Newsworthy for TB 1.5 0.2.0.4
    > and believe it or not Mr. Tech himself!
    > Also Contacts Add BCC Button 0.0.5 was listed. It's unnecessary as BCC
    > is available in the context menu, but was put on my machine by a mousy
    > lady.
    >
    > Also my favorite Theme, Sky Pilot hasn't yet updated, so am back to
    > using Plain Jane.
    >
    > Miles

    Many, but not all, of my extensions, are working OK (possibly with a
    compatibility override); and _my_ favourite theme (or what used to be), Silver
    Skin, causes crashes; so I'm back to Thunderbird default (in Thunderbird,
    obviously) and GreyModern (with compat override, in Firefox).

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    Magnet, n.: Something acted upon by magnetism

    Magnetism, n.: Something acting upon a magnet.

    The two definition immediately foregoing are condensed from the works
    of one thousand eminent scientists, who have illuminated the subject
    with a great white light, to the inexpressible advancement of human
    knowledge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast