Add-ons in TB 2 - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Add-ons in TB 2 - Mozilla ; NightStalker wrote: > In article , > twokatmew@nospam.gmail.com.inva lid says... >> GMailUI works w/ TB2, don't know about the othres. As Tony said, the MR >> Tech Local Install ext makes overriding compatibility quite simple. >> >> > > That'd ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: Add-ons in TB 2

    NightStalker wrote:
    > In article ,
    > twokatmew@nospam.gmail.com.invalid says...
    >> GMailUI works w/ TB2, don't know about the othres. As Tony said, the MR
    >> Tech Local Install ext makes overriding compatibility quite simple.
    >>

    > That'd be OK - except my TB2 is telling me that MR Tech Local Install
    > itself is incompatible and has been disabled for my protection! Oh the
    > irony

    I've been using it in Tb2 ever since I noticed that Tb2 (beta) nightlies were
    available, and I've never had any problems with it.

    First, some old themes say "Disabled for your protection" for everything. If
    you select MTLI in the add-ons window, and "Disable" is not greyed-out, then
    it's actually enabled.

    If it _is_ disabled, go to
    (Windows) Tools => Options
    (Linux) Edit => Preferences
    (Mac) Thunderbird => Preferences
    => Advanced => Config Editor
    filter on "compat" (without the quotes)
    double-click "extensions.checkCompatibility" to set it to
    extensions.checkCompatibility user set false
    Then restart Thunderbird to make it recheck the extensions.

    And remember: disregarding the check won't suddenly make an extension work if
    its code really doesn't work hand-in-hand with the Tb2 code.

    > I guess we'll just have to wait until all the extension writers get
    > their updates out there.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    183. You move your coffeemaker next to your computer.

  2. Re: Add-ons in TB 2

    In article ,
    antoine.mechelynck@belgacom.net says...

    > First, some old themes say "Disabled for your protection" for everything. If
    > you select MTLI in the add-ons window, and "Disable" is not greyed-out, then
    > it's actually enabled.

    Aha! That's actually fixed my problems - thanks Tony

    I use the Azerty Mail theme, and I note that it was update in the last
    couple of days. But that message about "Disabled for your protection"
    was the result of using that theme. I chenged back to the plain vanilla
    TBird theme, and now the TRULY incompatible extensions are REALLY
    disabled, while the rest, including MTLI, work just fine once again.

    So thanks again. Now I just need to wait for updates for things like
    Nested Quote Remover, Show SMTP Name, and a couple of others. Oh yes -
    an update for Azerty Mail theme too...

    --

    NightStalker

  3. Re: Add-ons in TB 2

    On Apr 19, 1:05 am, CJ wrote:
    > Before I download and upgrade to Thunderbird 2.0 I'd like to know about the state of Add-ons for the new version. In particular I relay heavily on these Add-ons:
    >
    > Signature
    > Zombie Keys
    > Nostalgy
    > GMailUI
    >
    > Any insight is appreciated. Thanks,
    >
    > CJ

    The complete method to force an add on to maybe work in TB 2.0:

    (1) Download the .xpi file.
    (2) Using a zip program, unzip it.
    (3) Extract the file install.rdf
    (4) Edit it in a text editor like Notepad or Notepad++.
    (5) Find the line that reads like this:
    1.5.0.*
    (6) Amend it to read:
    2.0.0.*
    (6) Save the file.
    (7) Add it to the archive using your zip program.
    It will overwrite the existing install.rdf.
    (8) Install the extension as usual from Tools -> Add-ons

    This does not guarantee that it will work. But it does give you a
    chance to test
    it out. Unfortunately, my favorite extension Remove Duplicate Messages
    0.1.02
    caused TB 2.0 to crash. Can anyone else help me!
    Andy Katz

  4. Re: Add-ons in TB 2

    NightStalker wrote:
    > In article ,
    > antoine.mechelynck@belgacom.net says...
    >> First, some old themes say "Disabled for your protection" for everything. If
    >> you select MTLI in the add-ons window, and "Disable" is not greyed-out, then
    >> it's actually enabled.
    >>

    > Aha! That's actually fixed my problems - thanks Tony
    >
    > I use the Azerty Mail theme, and I note that it was update in the last
    > couple of days. But that message about "Disabled for your protection"
    > was the result of using that theme. I chenged back to the plain vanilla
    > TBird theme, and now the TRULY incompatible extensions are REALLY
    > disabled, while the rest, including MTLI, work just fine once again.
    >
    > So thanks again. Now I just need to wait for updates for things like
    > Nested Quote Remover, Show SMTP Name, and a couple of others. Oh yes -
    > an update for Azerty Mail theme too...

    The theme I use in Firefox also says "Requires additional items, Disabled for
    your protection" for everything; but:

    - really disabled items have "Disabled" greyed-out. (I like the way MTLI -- or
    is it Fx2/Tb2? -- allows enabling/disabling addons one-by-one: if one of them
    misbehaves I can "turn it off" temporarily with just a browser/mailer restart,
    and turn it back again if it isn't that without the need for an
    uninstall/reinstall.)
    - Items whose maxVersion is lower than the current browser version have an
    additional line, in my case "Not compatible with BonEcho 2.0.0.4pre" (BonEcho
    is the codename for Fx2 nightlies), and their icon is displayed full-size,
    even when "Slim Mode" is selected in MTLI.

    What is "Show SMTP Name"? I don't have it, but I can still select any of my
    "identities" by means of a drop-down list before sending any mail or newspost.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    The more things change, the more they stay insane.

  5. Re: Add-ons in TB 2

    Andrew Katz wrote:
    > On Apr 19, 1:05 am, CJ wrote:
    >> Before I download and upgrade to Thunderbird 2.0 I'd like to know about the state of Add-ons for the new version. In particular I relay heavily on these Add-ons:
    >>
    >> Signature
    >> Zombie Keys
    >> Nostalgy
    >> GMailUI
    >>
    >> Any insight is appreciated. Thanks,
    >>
    >> CJ

    > The complete method to force an add on to maybe work in TB 2.0:
    >
    > (1) Download the .xpi file.
    > (2) Using a zip program, unzip it.
    > (3) Extract the file install.rdf
    > (4) Edit it in a text editor like Notepad or Notepad++.
    > (5) Find the line that reads like this:
    > 1.5.0.*
    > (6) Amend it to read:
    > 2.0.0.*
    > (6) Save the file.
    > (7) Add it to the archive using your zip program.
    > It will overwrite the existing install.rdf.
    > (8) Install the extension as usual from Tools -> Add-ons
    >
    > This does not guarantee that it will work. But it does give you a
    > chance to test
    > it out. Unfortunately, my favorite extension Remove Duplicate Messages
    > 0.1.02
    > caused TB 2.0 to crash. Can anyone else help me!
    > Andy Katz

    With MR Tech Local Install, it's shorter:

    1) Tools => Local Install Options => Miscellaneous => XPI Install Options
    Make sure that
    [ ] Enable Addons Compatibility Checking
    is off.

    2) Download the .xpi file. (step 1 above)
    3) Tools => Addons => Install => browse to the xpi (step 8 above)

    That's all. It still doesn't guarantee that it won't crash, but at least you
    can check it out; and no need to hack the xpi.

    If it doesn't work: select your extension in the add-ons manager, click either
    "Disable" or "Uninstall", confirm if necessary, and restart Thunderbird.

    With Remove Duplicate Messages 0.1.02, Thunderbird 2 (for Linux) doesn't crash
    when I use it. (Sometimes it crashes at shutdown, segmentation fault at
    morkMap::CloseMap(), but I don't know what causes it.)

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    Logicians have but ill defined
    As rational the human kind.

  6. Re: Add-ons in TB 2

    In article ,
    antoine.mechelynck@belgacom.net says...

    > What is "Show SMTP Name"? I don't have it, but I can still select any of my
    > "identities" by means of a drop-down list before sending any mail or newspost.

    NightStalker

  7. Re: Add-ons in TB 2

    NightStalker wrote:
    > In article ,
    > antoine.mechelynck@belgacom.net says...
    >> What is "Show SMTP Name"? I don't have it, but I can still select any of my
    >> "identities" by means of a drop-down list before sending any mail or newspost.
    >>

    > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/151

    ah, I see: display the user name (nickname) in addition to the SMTP address.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    Cynic, n.:
    A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2