TB for Linux - Mozilla

This is a discussion on TB for Linux - Mozilla ; I just downloaded the gzipped tarball for TB to my brand spankin' new Kubuntu machine, /home/pjh/downloads Now what?...

  1. TB for Linux

    I just downloaded the gzipped tarball for TB to my brand spankin' new
    Kubuntu machine, /home/pjh/downloads

    Now what?

  2. Re: TB for Linux

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > I just downloaded the gzipped tarball for TB to my brand spankin' new
    > Kubuntu machine, /home/pjh/downloads
    >
    > Now what?

    You should have a subdirectory named thunderbird. I don't use TB, but
    test seamonkey nightlies periodically. What I get is a
    ~/downloads/seamonkey subd. which contains the seamonkey executable. I
    would expect you to get a thunderbird executable. So:

    cd /home/pjh/downloads/thunderbird
    ../thunderbird

    would be one way.

    --
    Under deadline pressure for the next week. If you want something, it
    can wait. Unless it's blind screaming paroxysmally hedonistic ...

  3. Re: TB for Linux

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > I just downloaded the gzipped tarball for TB to my brand spankin' new
    > Kubuntu machine, /home/pjh/downloads
    >
    > Now what?

    Oh. You haven't unzipped it yet :-) Depending on the extension (tar.gz
    or bz2) you need to cd to /home/pjh/downloads; tar -zxvf if a tar.gz
    package or tar -xvjf if a bz2

    Then read my previous post.

    --
    Every successful person has had failures but repeated failure is no
    guarantee of eventual success.

  4. Re: TB for Linux

    On 2007-04-17 19:29 (-0600 UTC), Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    > Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >> I just downloaded the gzipped tarball for TB to my brand spankin' new
    >> Kubuntu machine, /home/pjh/downloads
    >>
    >> Now what?

    > Oh. You haven't unzipped it yet :-) Depending on the extension (tar.gz
    > or bz2) you need to cd to /home/pjh/downloads; tar -zxvf if a tar.gz
    > package or tar -xvjf if a bz2
    >
    > Then read my previous post.

    Even tho' this is a single-user system, I still prefer to install apps
    system-wide:

    $ tar -xzvf thunderbird*.tar.gz [or: tar -xjvf thunderbird*.tar.bz2]
    $ su
    # mv -r thunderbird /usr/local

    (Alternately:

    (# tar -zxvC /usr/local -f firefox*.tar.gz

    (should do the same thing all at once. . . .)

    You should then be able to create a symlink in /usr/bin by

    # ln -s /usr/local/thunderbird /usr/bin

    ( . . . I /think/ that's right . . . ) and then just run

    $ thunderbird

    --
    /b.

    String quartets don't march very well.
    --Donald Barthelme, /The Dead Father/

  5. Re: TB for Linux

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > I just downloaded the gzipped tarball for TB to my brand spankin' new
    > Kubuntu machine, /home/pjh/downloads
    >
    > Now what?

    I know how late this is, but TB is a Kubuntu package, you can install it
    from Adept.

    Kmenu>>Add Remove

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    The Champs: http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org

+ Reply to Thread