How to make the junk filter run automatically? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on How to make the junk filter run automatically? - Mozilla ; Is there a way to make the junk filter run automatically and move the junk email to the junk folder when it is discovered. I have been looking around for a setting to do this but can't find it. I ...

  1. How to make the junk filter run automatically?

    Is there a way to make the junk filter run automatically and move the
    junk email to the junk folder when it is discovered. I have been
    looking around for a setting to do this but can't find it.

    I would prefer TB to automatically move all suspected junk to the junk
    folder when it is discovered, then I can go to that folder to review
    what is there and if it is not junk, then I will mark it and move it
    back into my inbox.

    Can this be done?

    Thanks,

    Richard..

  2. Re: How to make the junk filter run automatically?

    Richard B wrote:
    > Is there a way to make the junk filter run automatically and move the
    > junk email to the junk folder when it is discovered. I have been
    > looking around for a setting to do this but can't find it.
    >
    > I would prefer TB to automatically move all suspected junk to the
    > junk folder when it is discovered, then I can go to that folder to
    > review what is there and if it is not junk, then I will mark it and
    > move it back into my inbox.
    >
    > Can this be done?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Richard..

    Tools>Account Settings>Mail account>Junk Settings

  3. Re: How to make the junk filter run automatically?

    Richard B wrote:
    > Is there a way to make the junk filter run automatically and move the
    > junk email to the junk folder when it is discovered. I have been
    > looking around for a setting to do this but can't find it.
    >
    > I would prefer TB to automatically move all suspected junk to the junk
    > folder when it is discovered, then I can go to that folder to review
    > what is there and if it is not junk, then I will mark it and move it
    > back into my inbox.
    >
    > Can this be done?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Richard..

    Um that's how it works. If you have selected a folder destination in
    Tools-->Junk Mail Controls

    then when JMC detects a 'junk' message it moves it to the designated folder

  4. Re: How to make the junk filter run automatically?

  5. Re: How to make the junk filter run automatically?

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    > Um that's how it works. If you have selected a folder destination in
    > Tools-->Junk Mail Controls

    That is only "half" of the configuring necessary...

    Tools-->Options-->Privacy-->Junk
    Check the box for "When I mark messages as Junk"
    and I use the radio button "Move them to the account's Junk folder"

    Not completely intuitive to have the one option in the TBird global settings, and the other in the account's settings, but that is how it is currently...

    --
    Michael Lueck
    Lueck Data Systems

  6. Re: How to make the junk filter run automatically?

    Michael Lueck wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >
    >> Um that's how it works. If you have selected a folder destination in
    >> Tools-->Junk Mail Controls

    > That is only "half" of the configuring necessary...
    >
    > Tools-->Options-->Privacy-->Junk
    > Check the box for "When I mark messages as Junk"
    > and I use the radio button "Move them to the account's Junk folder"
    >
    > Not completely intuitive to have the one option in the TBird global
    > settings, and the other in the account's settings, but that is how it is
    > currently...

    The OP was speaking of Junk Mail marking them, not himself marking them,
    the options you refer to only apply when the user marks a message as
    'junk' NOT when JMC does.

  7. Re: How to make the junk filter run automatically?

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Richard B wrote:
    >> Is there a way to make the junk filter run automatically and move the
    >> junk email to the junk folder when it is discovered. I have been
    >> looking around for a setting to do this but can't find it.
    >>
    >> I would prefer TB to automatically move all suspected junk to the junk
    >> folder when it is discovered, then I can go to that folder to review
    >> what is there and if it is not junk, then I will mark it and move it
    >> back into my inbox.
    >>
    >> Can this be done?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Richard..

    > Um that's how it works. If you have selected a folder destination in
    > Tools-->Junk Mail Controls
    >

    > then when JMC detects a 'junk' message it moves it to the designated folder

    Not on my laptop. It just stays there in the message header list.
    Works just fine on my desktop, however.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  8. Re: How to make the junk filter run automatically?

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Richard B wrote:
    >>> Is there a way to make the junk filter run automatically
    >>> and move the junk email to the junk folder when it is
    >>> discovered. ...

    >> Um that's how it works. If you have selected a folder
    >> destination in Tools-->Junk Mail Controls
    >>
    >> then when JMC detects a 'junk' message it moves it to the
    >> designated folder

    > Not on my laptop. It just stays there in the message header
    > list. Works just fine on my desktop, however.

    In the folder pane, does the icon for your Junk folder look like a
    blue trash bin, or a yellow folder? In the past, it's happened to
    me that the icon changed from a trash bin to a folder and the junk
    stopped being automatically moved into it. Guess I corrected that
    by deleting the folder and letting Thunderbird recreate it. A
    possible alternative is to install the FolderFlags extension and
    make sure the Junk folder has the Junk flag set.

  9. Re: How to make the junk filter run automatically?

    Telmo Amaral wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Um that's how it works. If you have selected a folder
    >>> destination in Tools-->Junk Mail Controls
    >>>
    >>> then when JMC detects a 'junk' message it moves it to the
    >>> designated folder

    >> Not on my laptop. It just stays there in the message header
    >> list. Works just fine on my desktop, however.

    > In the folder pane, does the icon for your Junk folder look like a blue
    > trash bin, or a yellow folder? In the past, it's happened to me that the
    > icon changed from a trash bin to a folder and the junk stopped being
    > automatically moved into it. Guess I corrected that by deleting the
    > folder and letting Thunderbird recreate it. A possible alternative is to
    > install the FolderFlags extension and make sure the Junk folder has the
    > Junk flag set.

    Here (on Tb2.0.0.0pre) the Junk folder icon (and the "Move to Junk" button)
    looks like an orange flame. The trash bin (but a grey one) is the Trash folder.

    Best regards,
    Tony.
    --
    You are the only person to ever get this message.

+ Reply to Thread