Strange problem with gmail/thunderbird - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Strange problem with gmail/thunderbird - Mozilla ; After XP/Thunderbird reinstall, this is now happening: Whenever I send a test message to myself from my gmail account in Thunderbird, it will appear in my "Sent" box, but I can't receive it in my Inbox. OTOH, it will appear ...

  1. Strange problem with gmail/thunderbird

    After XP/Thunderbird reinstall, this is now happening:
    Whenever I send a test message to myself from my gmail account in
    Thunderbird, it will appear in my "Sent" box, but I can't receive it in
    my Inbox. OTOH, it will appear when I go to my gmail.com web page. If I
    send a test message to myself from another account in Thunderbird, it
    WILL appear in my Thunderbird/Gmail Inbox, as will emails sent by
    external posters. You may ask why I should want to send and read
    messages from myself, but I was just curious if this may imply some
    errors in my settings?

    rgds,
    ole k

  2. Re: Strange problem with gmail/thunderbird

    Ole Kvaal wrote:
    > After XP/Thunderbird reinstall, this is now happening:
    > Whenever I send a test message to myself from my gmail account in
    > Thunderbird, it will appear in my "Sent" box, but I can't receive it in
    > my Inbox. OTOH, it will appear when I go to my gmail.com web page. If I
    > send a test message to myself from another account in Thunderbird, it
    > WILL appear in my Thunderbird/Gmail Inbox, as will emails sent by
    > external posters. You may ask why I should want to send and read
    > messages from myself, but I was just curious if this may imply some
    > errors in my settings?
    >
    > rgds,
    > ole k

    No error in your settings. This is the way Gmail works (unfortunately) when you use POP to
    download mail from it.

    --
    Larry I. Gusaas
    Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan

    Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

  3. Re: Strange problem with gmail/thunderbird

    On 2007-03-10 14:55 (-0700 UTC), Larry Gusaas wrote:

    > No error in your settings. This is the way Gmail works (unfortunately)
    > when you use POP to download mail from it.

    I use Gmail accounts as, in effect, disposable e-mail accounts. My e-mail
    service provider allows me to poll external accounts every hour (you can get
    lower poll intervals for a fee).

    This is actually what I do with the account I'm using on these newsgroups:
    any e-mail sent to it gets forwarded to a sub-account, from which I can
    reply, either using the Gmail address of the address of the sub-account. I
    don't use a Sent folder, preferring (for various reasons related to
    threading) to place all sent messages into the Inbox.

    Works a charm for what I want to do; Ole Kvaal may wish to do something
    different.

    --
    /b.

    String quartets don't march very well.
    --Donald Barthelme, /The Dead Father/

  4. Re: Strange problem with gmail/thunderbird

    Ole Kvaal wrote:
    > After XP/Thunderbird reinstall, this is now happening:
    > Whenever I send a test message to myself from my gmail account in
    > Thunderbird, it will appear in my "Sent" box, but I can't receive it in
    > my Inbox. OTOH, it will appear when I go to my gmail.com web page. If I
    > send a test message to myself from another account in Thunderbird, it
    > WILL appear in my Thunderbird/Gmail Inbox, as will emails sent by
    > external posters. You may ask why I should want to send and read
    > messages from myself, but I was just curious if this may imply some
    > errors in my settings?
    >
    > rgds,
    > ole k

    "http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=16418&topic=1556"

  5. Re: Strange problem with gmail/thunderbird

    Nir wrote:

    > "http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=16418&topic=1556"

    Ah - this article concerns when postings DO appear in my own mailbox. In
    my case, they don't. OTOH, this made me start thinking that gmail
    support may be the right place for me in this case. Thanks a lot.

    rgds,
    ole k

  6. Re: Strange problem with gmail/thunderbird

    Larry Gusaas wrote:

    > No error in your settings. This is the way Gmail works (unfortunately)
    > when you use POP to download mail from it.

    Well, that was some sort of relief, after all :-)

    Thanks,
    ole k

  7. Re: Strange problem with gmail/thunderbird

    Brian Heinrich wrote:
    > sub-account. I don't use a Sent folder, preferring (for various reasons
    > related to threading) to place all sent messages into the Inbox.
    >
    > Works a charm for what I want to do; Ole Kvaal may wish to do something
    > different.

    Maybe he doesn't :-). Sounds like a good idea to me. It's easier to keep
    an eye on email threads that way. Thanks a lot.

    rgds,
    ole k

+ Reply to Thread