Changing font size for printing - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Changing font size for printing - Mozilla ; I posted this before and did not receive a solution to the problem. Here is my original posts and the one response I received. I wrote: I am fairly new to Thunderbird and want to print with a different size ...

  1. Changing font size for printing

    I wrote:

    I am fairly new to Thunderbird and want to print with a different size
    font than I use to display messages.I've gone to File/Page Setup and
    selected Format: Scale 80%. When I go to Print Preview it appears with
    the font size I want it to print. When I print the message it prints
    larger, the same font size used to display the message, not the reduced
    size I selected in Page Setup.

    I am using Thunderbird 2 Beta 2 on Windows 98SE.

    Nir responded:

    > got same problem when changed scale to lower value, but after
    > restarting TB
    > , everything works fine here.
    > when you find same problem , goto File>Page setup. check 'scale size' .
    > if it not same as you have set before , set it to proper value again.
    > restart TB
    > and check

    I replied

    I set scale to 80%, restarted Thunderbird, test print printed at 100%.
    Checked settings, still at 80%. Restarted Thunderbird again. Still
    printed at 100%. Print preview shows message at 80% but it prints at 100%.

    _________________________

    I am still having this problem and have not found a solution.

    Larry

  2. Re: Changing font size for printing

    Larry Gusaas wrote:
    > I posted this before and did not receive a solution to the problem. Here
    > is my original posts and the one response I received.
    >
    > I wrote:
    >
    > I am fairly new to Thunderbird and want to print with a different size
    > font than I use to display messages.I've gone to File/Page Setup and
    > selected Format: Scale 80%. When I go to Print Preview it appears with
    > the font size I want it to print. When I print the message it prints
    > larger, the same font size used to display the message, not the reduced
    > size I selected in Page Setup.
    >
    > I am using Thunderbird 2 Beta 2 on Windows 98SE.
    >
    > Nir responded:
    >
    > > got same problem when changed scale to lower value, but after
    > > restarting TB
    > > , everything works fine here.
    > > when you find same problem , goto File>Page setup. check 'scale size' .
    > > if it not same as you have set before , set it to proper value again.
    > > restart TB
    > > and check

    > I replied
    >
    > I set scale to 80%, restarted Thunderbird, test print printed at 100%.
    > Checked settings, still at 80%. Restarted Thunderbird again. Still
    > printed at 100%. Print preview shows message at 80% but it prints at 100%.
    >
    > _________________________
    >
    > I am still having this problem and have not found a solution.
    >
    > Larry

    I don't have a solution. Printing support, however, is finally becoming
    a more important issue in the development. I hope by 3.0 we will see
    substantial improvement.

    I will share my workaround. I never, ever print from a Mozilla product.
    I copy that which I wish to print and paste it into a word processor.
    Since WP programs are designed to print, you will always have far more
    control over the printed product then you will get from a mail client or
    browser.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    The Champs: http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org

  3. Re: Changing font size for printing

    Larry Gusaas wrote:
    > I posted this before and did not receive a solution to the problem. Here is my original
    > posts and the one response I received.
    >
    > I wrote:
    >
    > I am fairly new to Thunderbird and want to print with a different size
    > font than I use to display messages.I've gone to File/Page Setup and
    > selected Format: Scale 80%. When I go to Print Preview it appears with
    > the font size I want it to print. When I print the message it prints
    > larger, the same font size used to display the message, not the reduced
    > size I selected in Page Setup.
    >
    > I am using Thunderbird 2 Beta 2 on Windows 98SE.
    >
    > Nir responded:
    >
    > > got same problem when changed scale to lower value, but after
    > > restarting TB
    > > , everything works fine here.
    > > when you find same problem , goto File>Page setup. check 'scale size' .
    > > if it not same as you have set before , set it to proper value again.
    > > restart TB
    > > and check

    > I replied
    >
    > I set scale to 80%, restarted Thunderbird, test print printed at 100%.
    > Checked settings, still at 80%. Restarted Thunderbird again. Still
    > printed at 100%. Print preview shows message at 80% but it prints at 100%.
    >
    > _________________________
    >
    > I am still having this problem and have not found a solution.

    When you select File >> Print, have you checked your printer driver
    options to make sure that any scaling options there are set to what you
    want? This can be checked by clicking on the Properties button next to
    the name of your printer.

    In my Brother driver, under Advanced, I have Scaling options of: Off,
    Fit to Paper Size, and Free (25% - 100%).

    I recall similar options for my old HP printer, as well.

    --
    Alex K.

  4. Re: Changing font size for printing

    Alex K. wrote:
    > Larry Gusaas wrote:

    >> I am fairly new to Thunderbird and want to print with a different size
    >> font than I use to display messages.I've gone to File/Page Setup and
    >> selected Format: Scale 80%. When I go to Print Preview it appears with
    >> the font size I want it to print. When I print the message it prints
    >> larger, the same font size used to display the message, not the reduced
    >> size I selected in Page Setup.
    >>
    >> I am using Thunderbird 2 Beta 2 on Windows 98SE.

    > When you select File >> Print, have you checked your printer driver
    > options to make sure that any scaling options there are set to what you
    > want? This can be checked by clicking on the Properties button next to
    > the name of your printer.
    >
    > In my Brother driver, under Advanced, I have Scaling options of: Off,
    > Fit to Paper Size, and Free (25% - 100%).
    >
    > I recall similar options for my old HP printer, as well.

    I have my Canon printer set to 'normal-size Printing'. It also has 'Fit-to-Page Printing'
    and 'Scaled Printing' among other options. I could use 'Scaled Printing' but it is a PITA
    to have to change that setting every time I print an email when Thunderbird's File/Page
    Setup should control it.

    I checked Firefox 2's printing. File/Page Setup/Format: Scale worked fine.

    Does anyone know if this is a bug in Thunderbird or just specific to my setup?

    --
    Larry I. Gusaas
    Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan

    Website: http://larry-gusaas.com