Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 Lost Profile - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 Lost Profile - Mozilla ; Background: Windows XP SP2, cable modem, Norton AV, Zone Alarm, Spybot and AdAware run overnight each night, Backup My PC run on Thunderbird and Firefox nightly saving Profiles (overwriting my DVD each night with the current profile). I checked my ...

  1. Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 Lost Profile

    Background: Windows XP SP2, cable modem, Norton AV, Zone Alarm, Spybot
    and AdAware run overnight each night, Backup My PC run on Thunderbird
    and Firefox nightly saving Profiles (overwriting my DVD each night with
    the current profile).

    I checked my e-mail 2 nights ago, then went to bed. In the morning, I
    checked for overnight activity, and found when I reloaded TB that all my
    messages were gone and TB treated me as if I had just loaded the program
    and began the configuration process. I thought my profile was missing,
    but it was OK, and further testing showed that TB was not recogizing the
    existing profile. Chkdsk showed no problems. I dumped the entire folder
    from my backup and that didn't help, so I uninstalled TB and
    reinstalled. Still no go; no messages available. I finally loaded the
    important profile programs one at a time from the backup, then
    reestablished the Mail sub-Folder individually, also. Then I could see
    my archived messages. I had to go clean up the options, but at least
    I'm back.

    Questions: (1) Disk errors? (2) Mal-ware of some sort? (3) TB bug? Any
    ideas would be gratefully received.

    FWIW: No Restore Point, althought I had just run a Microsoft Update. The
    next night, basically the same thing happened to my Firefox 2.0.0.2. I
    rebuilt it the same way. I've had no other identifieable problems with
    my PC. One other thing -- my backup log reports I'm missing some .msf
    and .sbd files even now. Is this important?

    Alan, Houston

  2. Re: Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 Lost Profile

    On 3/8/2007 9:40 PM, Tbird Leader AFleer radioed the tower to announce:
    > Background: Windows XP SP2, cable modem, Norton AV, Zone Alarm, Spybot
    > and AdAware run overnight each night, Backup My PC run on Thunderbird
    > and Firefox nightly saving Profiles (overwriting my DVD each night
    > with the current profile).
    >
    > I checked my e-mail 2 nights ago, then went to bed. In the morning, I
    > checked for overnight activity, and found when I reloaded TB that all
    > my messages were gone and TB treated me as if I had just loaded the
    > program and began the configuration process. I thought my profile was
    > missing, but it was OK, and further testing showed that TB was not
    > recogizing the existing profile. Chkdsk showed no problems. I dumped
    > the entire folder from my backup and that didn't help, so I
    > uninstalled TB and reinstalled. Still no go; no messages available. I
    > finally loaded the important profile programs one at a time from the
    > backup, then reestablished the Mail sub-Folder individually, also.
    > Then I could see my archived messages. I had to go clean up the
    > options, but at least I'm back.
    >
    > Questions: (1) Disk errors? (2) Mal-ware of some sort? (3) TB bug?
    > Any ideas would be gratefully received.
    >
    > FWIW: No Restore Point, althought I had just run a Microsoft Update.
    > The next night, basically the same thing happened to my Firefox
    > 2.0.0.2. I rebuilt it the same way. I've had no other identifieable
    > problems with my PC. One other thing -- my backup log reports I'm
    > missing some .msf and .sbd files even now. Is this important?
    >
    > Alan, Houston

    What can happen with mail box folders is corruption of the *.msf for the
    mail box. The *.msf are index files which can be renamed to *.msf.old
    and will regenerate on next startup. Mail box here means inbox, sent,
    etc. for each mail account and the Local Folders special account.
    Within each account the box names with no extension actually hold the
    mail, so do not delete or rename with an extension.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  3. Re: Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 Lost Profile

    Ron K. said the following on 3/8/2007 9:08 PM:
    > On 3/8/2007 9:40 PM, Tbird Leader AFleer radioed the tower to announce:
    >> Background: Windows XP SP2, cable modem, Norton AV, Zone Alarm, Spybot
    >> and AdAware run overnight each night, Backup My PC run on Thunderbird
    >> and Firefox nightly saving Profiles (overwriting my DVD each night
    >> with the current profile).
    >>
    >> I checked my e-mail 2 nights ago, then went to bed. In the morning, I
    >> checked for overnight activity, and found when I reloaded TB that all
    >> my messages were gone and TB treated me as if I had just loaded the
    >> program and began the configuration process. I thought my profile was
    >> missing, but it was OK, and further testing showed that TB was not
    >> recogizing the existing profile. Chkdsk showed no problems. I dumped
    >> the entire folder from my backup and that didn't help, so I
    >> uninstalled TB and reinstalled. Still no go; no messages available. I
    >> finally loaded the important profile programs one at a time from the
    >> backup, then reestablished the Mail sub-Folder individually, also.
    >> Then I could see my archived messages. I had to go clean up the
    >> options, but at least I'm back.
    >>
    >> Questions: (1) Disk errors? (2) Mal-ware of some sort? (3) TB bug?
    >> Any ideas would be gratefully received.
    >>
    >> FWIW: No Restore Point, althought I had just run a Microsoft Update.
    >> The next night, basically the same thing happened to my Firefox
    >> 2.0.0.2. I rebuilt it the same way. I've had no other identifieable
    >> problems with my PC. One other thing -- my backup log reports I'm
    >> missing some .msf and .sbd files even now. Is this important?
    >>
    >> Alan, Houston

    > What can happen with mail box folders is corruption of the *.msf for the
    > mail box. The *.msf are index files which can be renamed to *.msf.old
    > and will regenerate on next startup. Mail box here means inbox, sent,
    > etc. for each mail account and the Local Folders special account.
    > Within each account the box names with no extension actually hold the
    > mail, so do not delete or rename with an extension.

    Thanks for the basic info. 'Preciate it. However, that doesn't answer
    the basic questions noted above, mainly, What Happened? Why? And, why
    didn't TB regenerate the missing .msf files?

    Alan

  4. Re: Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 Lost Profile

    AFleer wrote:
    > Ron K. said the following on 3/8/2007 9:08 PM:
    >> On 3/8/2007 9:40 PM, Tbird Leader AFleer radioed the tower to announce:
    >>> Background: Windows XP SP2, cable modem, Norton AV, Zone Alarm,
    >>> Spybot and AdAware run overnight each night, Backup My PC run on
    >>> Thunderbird and Firefox nightly saving Profiles (overwriting my DVD
    >>> each night with the current profile).
    >>>
    >>> I checked my e-mail 2 nights ago, then went to bed. In the morning,
    >>> I checked for overnight activity, and found when I reloaded TB that
    >>> all my messages were gone and TB treated me as if I had just loaded
    >>> the program and began the configuration process. I thought my profile
    >>> was missing, but it was OK, and further testing showed that TB was
    >>> not recogizing the existing profile. Chkdsk showed no problems. I
    >>> dumped the entire folder from my backup and that didn't help, so I
    >>> uninstalled TB and reinstalled. Still no go; no messages available. I
    >>> finally loaded the important profile programs one at a time from the
    >>> backup, then reestablished the Mail sub-Folder individually, also.
    >>> Then I could see my archived messages. I had to go clean up the
    >>> options, but at least I'm back.
    >>>
    >>> Questions: (1) Disk errors? (2) Mal-ware of some sort? (3) TB bug?
    >>> Any ideas would be gratefully received.
    >>>
    >>> FWIW: No Restore Point, althought I had just run a Microsoft Update.
    >>> The next night, basically the same thing happened to my Firefox
    >>> 2.0.0.2. I rebuilt it the same way. I've had no other identifieable
    >>> problems with my PC. One other thing -- my backup log reports I'm
    >>> missing some .msf and .sbd files even now. Is this important?
    >>>
    >>> Alan, Houston

    >> What can happen with mail box folders is corruption of the *.msf for
    >> the mail box. The *.msf are index files which can be renamed to
    >> *.msf.old and will regenerate on next startup. Mail box here means
    >> inbox, sent, etc. for each mail account and the Local Folders special
    >> account. Within each account the box names with no extension actually
    >> hold the mail, so do not delete or rename with an extension.
    >>

    > Thanks for the basic info. 'Preciate it. However, that doesn't answer
    > the basic questions noted above, mainly, What Happened? Why? And, why
    > didn't TB regenerate the missing .msf files?
    >
    > Alan

    If anyone could answer the question of why .msf files get corrupted,
    Mozilla org would be eternally grateful. They are opened and closed all
    the time, a little addition here, an addendum there. Fact is they get
    corruppted.

    Once they get corrupted they will stay that way until deleted. Once
    deleted, the file will be recreated when and if the folder/file/ is opened.

    If you have not accessed the specific file/folder since the msf was
    deleted it will not be there. It will be recreated upon access.

  5. Re: Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 Lost Profile

    Moz Champion (Dan) said the following on 3/9/2007 3:51 AM:
    > AFleer wrote:
    >> Ron K. said the following on 3/8/2007 9:08 PM:
    >>> On 3/8/2007 9:40 PM, Tbird Leader AFleer radioed the tower to announce:

    >>> What can happen with mail box folders is corruption of the *.msf for
    >>> the mail box. The *.msf are index files which can be renamed to
    >>> *.msf.old and will regenerate on next startup. Mail box here means
    >>> inbox, sent, etc. for each mail account and the Local Folders special
    >>> account. Within each account the box names with no extension
    >>> actually hold the mail, so do not delete or rename with an extension.
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the basic info. 'Preciate it. However, that doesn't answer
    >> the basic questions noted above, mainly, What Happened? Why? And, why
    >> didn't TB regenerate the missing .msf files?
    >>
    >> Alan

    > If anyone could answer the question of why .msf files get corrupted,
    > Mozilla org would be eternally grateful. They are opened and closed all
    > the time, a little addition here, an addendum there. Fact is they get
    > corruppted.
    >
    > Once they get corrupted they will stay that way until deleted. Once
    > deleted, the file will be recreated when and if the folder/file/ is opened.
    >
    > If you have not accessed the specific file/folder since the msf was
    > deleted it will not be there. It will be recreated upon access.

    Thanks, Dan. What I'm hearing from you both is that my .msf files--all
    of them--were corrupt and all I had to do was delete them so that they
    could be re-established automatically. OK, I'll buy that, but then why
    did I have a similiar problem with Firefox?
    Alan

  6. Re: Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 Lost Profile

    On 3/9/2007 5:34 AM, AFleer wrote:

    > Thanks, Dan. What I'm hearing from you both is that my .msf files--all
    > of them--were corrupt and all I had to do was delete them so that they
    > could be re-established automatically. OK, I'll buy that, but then why
    > did I have a similiar problem with Firefox?
    > Alan

    It sounds like you do not shut down your computer overnight, in fact you
    do not shutdown TB or FF overnight; is this correct? If so, a momentary
    power glitch could cause the problem you observed. Also, it is
    dangerous to have only one backup (you say you overwrite the DVD every
    night?).

    --
    Irwin

  7. Re: Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 Lost Profile

    Irwin Greenwald said the following on 3/9/2007 4:14 PM:
    > On 3/9/2007 5:34 AM, AFleer wrote:
    >

    >> Thanks, Dan. What I'm hearing from you both is that my .msf files--all
    >> of them--were corrupt and all I had to do was delete them so that they
    >> could be re-established automatically. OK, I'll buy that, but then why
    >> did I have a similiar problem with Firefox?
    >> Alan

    > It sounds like you do not shut down your computer overnight, in fact you
    > do not shutdown TB or FF overnight; is this correct? If so, a momentary
    > power glitch could cause the problem you observed. Also, it is
    > dangerous to have only one backup (you say you overwrite the DVD every
    > night?).

    Yes, Irwin, it is dangerous to have only one backup. I do change the DVD
    every month. And I (usually) shut down FF and TB overnight so the
    backup can access their profiles. I have battery backup, so momentary
    power loss is not a problem. (FWIW, I am a computer professional with
    35+ years of experience in all areas discussed here.)

  8. Re: Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 Lost Profile

    On 3/9/2007 7:07 PM Pacific Time, AFleer wrote thusly:
    > Irwin Greenwald said the following on 3/9/2007 4:14 PM:
    >> On 3/9/2007 5:34 AM, AFleer wrote:
    >>

    >>> Thanks, Dan. What I'm hearing from you both is that my .msf
    >>> files--all of them--were corrupt and all I had to do was delete them
    >>> so that they could be re-established automatically. OK, I'll buy
    >>> that, but then why did I have a similiar problem with Firefox?
    >>> Alan

    >> It sounds like you do not shut down your computer overnight, in fact
    >> you do not shutdown TB or FF overnight; is this correct? If so, a
    >> momentary power glitch could cause the problem you observed. Also, it
    >> is dangerous to have only one backup (you say you overwrite the DVD
    >> every night?).
    >>

    > Yes, Irwin, it is dangerous to have only one backup. I do change the DVD
    > every month. And I (usually) shut down FF and TB overnight so the
    > backup can access their profiles. I have battery backup, so momentary
    > power loss is not a problem. (FWIW, I am a computer professional with
    > 35+ years of experience in all areas discussed here.)

    Incremental backups would be a safer option for you instead of writing
    over your only backup.

    Barbara (40+ years IT experience and a few of when I lost info due to
    incorrect backup system

  9. Re: Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 Lost Profile

    Barbara said the following on 3/10/2007 9:42 PM:
    > On 3/9/2007 7:07 PM Pacific Time, AFleer wrote thusly:
    >> Irwin Greenwald said the following on 3/9/2007 4:14 PM:

    >>> It sounds like you do not shut down your computer overnight, in fact
    >>> you do not shutdown TB or FF overnight; is this correct? If so, a
    >>> momentary power glitch could cause the problem you observed. Also,
    >>> it is dangerous to have only one backup (you say you overwrite the
    >>> DVD every night?).
    >>>

    >> Yes, Irwin, it is dangerous to have only one backup. I do change the
    >> DVD every month. And I (usually) shut down FF and TB overnight so the
    >> backup can access their profiles. I have battery backup, so momentary
    >> power loss is not a problem. (FWIW, I am a computer professional with
    >> 35+ years of experience in all areas discussed here.)

    > Incremental backups would be a safer option for you instead of writing
    > over your only backup.
    >
    > Barbara (40+ years IT experience and a few of when I lost info due to
    > incorrect backup system

    Yes, Barbara, I know. I made the conscious decision since what I'm
    backing up is not daily critical. And, I, too, have some horror stories
    to tell. LOL.

+ Reply to Thread