Saving AOL Webmail to T-bird - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Saving AOL Webmail to T-bird - Mozilla ; Complicated situation, let me see if I can get through this. My friend, who is an AOL subscriber, currently uses AOL webmail, and nothing else. But he has just gotten a new laptop, signed up for Verizon broadband, and while ...

  1. Saving AOL Webmail to T-bird

    Complicated situation, let me see if I can get through this.

    My friend, who is an AOL subscriber, currently uses AOL webmail, and nothing
    else. But he has just gotten a new laptop, signed up for Verizon broadband,
    and while he is still subscriber for the moment, he wants to rid himself of
    all things AOL.

    The question is about salvaging his years of AOL webmail. I intend to
    install Thunderbird on his machine. As I understand it, with AOL POP mail
    you need to reconstitute it in OE before you can successfully import it into
    Thunderbird. I've located the program to do that. But at this point I'm not
    sure if he even has POP mail on his computer (he's several hundred miles
    away and has never emerged from the AOL fog that prevents insight into these
    issues).

    If he doesn't have AOL POP mail, Can I save his AOL webmail directly to
    Thunderbird by installing the webmail extension, or is there some kind of
    file format conversion that needs to take place?

  2. Re: Saving AOL Webmail to T-bird

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > Complicated situation, let me see if I can get through this.
    >
    > My friend, who is an AOL subscriber, currently uses AOL webmail, and nothing
    > else. But he has just gotten a new laptop, signed up for Verizon broadband,
    > and while he is still subscriber for the moment, he wants to rid himself of
    > all things AOL.
    >
    > The question is about salvaging his years of AOL webmail. I intend to
    > install Thunderbird on his machine. As I understand it, with AOL POP mail
    > you need to reconstitute it in OE before you can successfully import it into
    > Thunderbird. I've located the program to do that. But at this point I'm not
    > sure if he even has POP mail on his computer (he's several hundred miles
    > away and has never emerged from the AOL fog that prevents insight into these
    > issues).
    >
    > If he doesn't have AOL POP mail, Can I save his AOL webmail directly to
    > Thunderbird by installing the webmail extension, or is there some kind of
    > file format conversion that needs to take place?

    AOL webmail has changed. Its now AIM.com and its imap. Us
    IMAP to download all the messages, and make the setting to
    view all messages offline.

    I haven't found an extension to work with TB and AIM.

    This will explain things a little:
    https://my.screenname.aol.com/_cqr/h...pUp.jsp?help=1

    but I can't find the page for the new settings and stuff.
    Maybe someone else can.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html
    http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778

    only. Thanks

  3. Re: Saving AOL Webmail to T-bird

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Roger Fink wrote:
    >> Complicated situation, let me see if I can get through this.
    >>
    >> My friend, who is an AOL subscriber, currently uses AOL webmail, and
    >> nothing
    >> else. But he has just gotten a new laptop, signed up for Verizon
    >> broadband,
    >> and while he is still subscriber for the moment, he wants to rid
    >> himself of
    >> all things AOL.
    >>
    >> The question is about salvaging his years of AOL webmail. I intend to
    >> install Thunderbird on his machine. As I understand it, with AOL POP mail
    >> you need to reconstitute it in OE before you can successfully import
    >> it into
    >> Thunderbird. I've located the program to do that. But at this point
    >> I'm not
    >> sure if he even has POP mail on his computer (he's several hundred miles
    >> away and has never emerged from the AOL fog that prevents insight into
    >> these
    >> issues).
    >>
    >> If he doesn't have AOL POP mail, Can I save his AOL webmail directly to
    >> Thunderbird by installing the webmail extension, or is there some kind of
    >> file format conversion that needs to take place?

    > AOL webmail has changed. Its now AIM.com and its imap. Us IMAP to
    > download all the messages, and make the setting to view all messages
    > offline.
    >
    > I haven't found an extension to work with TB and AIM.
    >
    > This will explain things a little:
    > https://my.screenname.aol.com/_cqr/h...pUp.jsp?help=1
    >
    > but I can't find the page for the new settings and stuff. Maybe someone
    > else can.

    For more information on using IMAP with AOL and AIM Mail, check the URL
    below:
    http://about.aol.com/faq/openmailaccess

    --
    Christian

  4. Re: Saving AOL Webmail to T-bird

    Christian Riechers wrote:
    > For more information on using IMAP with AOL and AIM Mail, check the URL
    > below: http://about.aol.com/faq/openmailaccess

    thats the page I was looking for. Thanks

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html
    http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778

    only. Thanks

  5. Re: Saving AOL Webmail to T-bird

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > Complicated situation, let me see if I can get through this.
    >
    > My friend, who is an AOL subscriber, currently uses AOL webmail, and nothing
    > else. But he has just gotten a new laptop, signed up for Verizon broadband,
    > and while he is still subscriber for the moment, he wants to rid himself of
    > all things AOL.
    >
    > The question is about salvaging his years of AOL webmail. I intend to
    > install Thunderbird on his machine. As I understand it, with AOL POP mail
    > you need to reconstitute it in OE before you can successfully import it into
    > Thunderbird. I've located the program to do that. But at this point I'm not
    > sure if he even has POP mail on his computer (he's several hundred miles
    > away and has never emerged from the AOL fog that prevents insight into these
    > issues).
    >
    > If he doesn't have AOL POP mail, Can I save his AOL webmail directly to
    > Thunderbird by installing the webmail extension, or is there some kind of
    > file format conversion that needs to take place?

    Not trying to change your mind about AOL, but IMAP with AIM Mail in
    connection with TB works beautifully for me. You don't have to be an AOL
    subscriber to use it. It's free, just like Yahoo, but with the benefits
    of IMAP.

    --
    Christian

  6. Re: Saving AOL Webmail to T-bird

    Christian Riechers wrote:
    > Roger Fink wrote:
    >> Complicated situation, let me see if I can get through this.
    >>
    >> My friend, who is an AOL subscriber, currently uses AOL webmail, and
    >> nothing else. But he has just gotten a new laptop, signed up for
    >> Verizon broadband, and while he is still subscriber for the moment,
    >> he wants to rid himself of all things AOL.
    >>
    >> The question is about salvaging his years of AOL webmail. I intend to
    >> install Thunderbird on his machine. As I understand it, with AOL POP
    >> mail you need to reconstitute it in OE before you can successfully
    >> import it into Thunderbird. I've located the program to do that. But
    >> at this point I'm not sure if he even has POP mail on his computer
    >> (he's several hundred miles away and has never emerged from the AOL
    >> fog that prevents insight into these issues).
    >>
    >> If he doesn't have AOL POP mail, Can I save his AOL webmail directly
    >> to Thunderbird by installing the webmail extension, or is there some
    >> kind of file format conversion that needs to take place?
    >>

    > Not trying to change your mind about AOL, but IMAP with AIM Mail in
    > connection with TB works beautifully for me. You don't have to be an
    > AOL subscriber to use it. It's free, just like Yahoo, but with the
    > benefits
    > of IMAP.

    It's his decision not mine but if he can keep his webmail account without
    being an AOL subscriber (I don't think he knows this) he may well decide to
    do that, and I'm going to email this thread to him.

    Thanks gentlemen for your responses.

  7. Re: Saving AOL Webmail to T-bird

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > Christian Riechers wrote:
    >> Roger Fink wrote:

    /snip/
    >> Not trying to change your mind about AOL, but IMAP with AIM Mail in
    >> connection with TB works beautifully for me. You don't have to be an
    >> AOL subscriber to use it. It's free, just like Yahoo, but with the
    >> benefits
    >> of IMAP.

    > It's his decision not mine but if he can keep his webmail account without
    > being an AOL subscriber (I don't think he knows this) he may well decide to
    > do that, and I'm going to email this thread to him.
    >
    > Thanks gentlemen for your responses.

    He could set up the imap account while still an AOL subscriber, download
    the mail to archive folders in TB, then remove the aol account, if desired.

    Lee

    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  8. Re: Saving AOL Webmail to T-bird

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Roger Fink wrote:
    >> Christian Riechers wrote:
    >>> Roger Fink wrote:

    > /snip/
    >>> Not trying to change your mind about AOL, but IMAP with AIM Mail in
    >>> connection with TB works beautifully for me. You don't have to be an
    >>> AOL subscriber to use it. It's free, just like Yahoo, but with the
    >>> benefits
    >>> of IMAP.

    >> It's his decision not mine but if he can keep his webmail account
    >> without being an AOL subscriber (I don't think he knows this) he may
    >> well decide to do that, and I'm going to email this thread to him.
    >>
    >> Thanks gentlemen for your responses.
    >>

    > He could set up the imap account while still an AOL subscriber,
    > download
    > the mail to archive folders in TB, then remove the aol account, if
    > desired.
    >
    > Lee

    Well, the problem is "he" means "me", and I have no experience with setting
    up webmail of any sort and only a rudimentary understanding of it. Without
    having to write an IMAP for Dummies textbook, perhaps you direct me to a
    link explaining just what the procedure is to do what you are suggesting.

  9. Re: Saving AOL Webmail to T-bird

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Roger Fink wrote:

    /snip/

    >> He could set up the imap account while still an AOL subscriber,
    >> download
    >> the mail to archive folders in TB, then remove the aol account, if
    >> desired.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Well, the problem is "he" means "me", and I have no experience with setting
    > up webmail of any sort and only a rudimentary understanding of it. Without
    > having to write an IMAP for Dummies textbook, perhaps you direct me to a
    > link explaining just what the procedure is to do what you are suggesting.

    Christian already posted it but here:

    http://about.aol.com/faq/openmailaccess

    You can set up the imap account in Thunderbird. Once its up and
    running, you can move all the mail into archive folders created under
    Local Folders. The delete the aol imap account, and have your friend
    drop AOL. All his mail will be saved in TB, and can be sorted at leisure.

    Lee

    The UFAQ'S http://www.ufaq.org/
    http://mozilla.com http://mozilla.org

  10. Re: Saving AOL Webmail to T-bird

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Roger Fink wrote:

    > /snip/
    >

    >>> He could set up the imap account while still an AOL subscriber,
    >>> download
    >>> the mail to archive folders in TB, then remove the aol account, if
    >>> desired.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> Well, the problem is "he" means "me", and I have no experience with
    >> setting up webmail of any sort and only a rudimentary understanding
    >> of it. Without having to write an IMAP for Dummies textbook, perhaps
    >> you direct me to a link explaining just what the procedure is to do
    >> what you are suggesting.
    >>

    > Christian already posted it but here:
    >
    > http://about.aol.com/faq/openmailaccess
    >
    > You can set up the imap account in Thunderbird. Once its up and
    > running, you can move all the mail into archive folders created under
    > Local Folders. The delete the aol imap account, and have your friend
    > drop AOL. All his mail will be saved in TB, and can be sorted at
    > leisure.
    >
    > Lee

    I had looked that over and saw the table with the settings. I take it then
    that I'd be merely setting up another email account in T-bird in the normal
    way and that there is no extension required to do this.

  11. Re: Saving AOL Webmail to T-bird

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Roger Fink wrote:

    >> /snip/

    >>> Well, the problem is "he" means "me", and I have no experience with
    >>> setting up webmail of any sort and only a rudimentary understanding
    >>> of it. Without having to write an IMAP for Dummies textbook, perhaps
    >>> you direct me to a link explaining just what the procedure is to do
    >>> what you are suggesting.
    >>>

    >> Christian already posted it but here:
    >>
    >> http://about.aol.com/faq/openmailaccess
    >>
    >> You can set up the imap account in Thunderbird. Once its up and
    >> running, you can move all the mail into archive folders created under
    >> Local Folders. The delete the aol imap account, and have your friend
    >> drop AOL. All his mail will be saved in TB, and can be sorted at
    >> leisure.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > I had looked that over and saw the table with the settings. I take it then
    > that I'd be merely setting up another email account in T-bird in the normal
    > way

    correct and not correct. When setting it up, when it asks,
    select IMAP and not POP

    > and that there is no extension required to do this.

    correct. However, just one change. After you set up the
    account, go back into the account settings, and under
    Offline & Disk Space, you want to select "make the messages
    in my inbox available when I am working offline." If you
    don't check this, then the messages remain on the server.
    Then when you go to copy them to another folder, then you
    could end up downloading everything twice. That happened to
    me, and I learned very quickly to make that change.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html
    http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778

    only. Thanks

  12. Re: Saving AOL Webmail to T-bird

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > Roger Fink wrote:
    >>> /snip/

    >>> Christian already posted it but here:
    >>>
    >>> http://about.aol.com/faq/openmailaccess
    >>>
    >>> You can set up the imap account in Thunderbird. Once its up and
    >>> running, you can move all the mail into archive folders created
    >>> under Local Folders. The delete the aol imap account, and have your
    >>> friend
    >>> drop AOL. All his mail will be saved in TB, and can be sorted at
    >>> leisure.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> I had looked that over and saw the table with the settings. I take
    >> it then that I'd be merely setting up another email account in
    >> T-bird in the normal way

    > correct and not correct. When setting it up, when it asks,
    > select IMAP and not POP
    >
    >> and that there is no extension required to do this.

    > correct. However, just one change. After you set up the
    > account, go back into the account settings, and under
    > Offline & Disk Space, you want to select "make the messages
    > in my inbox available when I am working offline." If you
    > don't check this, then the messages remain on the server.
    > Then when you go to copy them to another folder, then you
    > could end up downloading everything twice. That happened to
    > me, and I learned very quickly to make that change.

    Great, it sounds like all the bases are covered now. It also sounds easy to
    do. Of course, I also said that when I tried to set up a second email
    address for myself in T-bird. I got there, but I was bruised and scarred by
    the time it was over. Thanks.

  13. Re: Saving AOL Webmail to T-bird

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > Complicated situation, let me see if I can get through this.
    >
    > My friend, who is an AOL subscriber, currently uses AOL webmail, and nothing
    > else. But he has just gotten a new laptop, signed up for Verizon broadband,
    > and while he is still subscriber for the moment, he wants to rid himself of
    > all things AOL.
    >
    > The question is about salvaging his years of AOL webmail. I intend to
    > install Thunderbird on his machine. As I understand it, with AOL POP mail
    > you need to reconstitute it in OE before you can successfully import it into
    > Thunderbird. I've located the program to do that. But at this point I'm not
    > sure if he even has POP mail on his computer (he's several hundred miles
    > away and has never emerged from the AOL fog that prevents insight into these
    > issues).
    >
    > If he doesn't have AOL POP mail, Can I save his AOL webmail directly to
    > Thunderbird by installing the webmail extension, or is there some kind of
    > file format conversion that needs to take place?

    there's a new version of FreePops available and its working
    with aim.com. It can turn aim accounts into pop accounts:
    http://www.freepops.org/en/

    First, if you haven't already done so, login to your account
    using this address:
    https://my.screenname.aol.com/_cqr/l...aWebSuite-Prod

    you will be asked some questions, make sure you answer them.

    After you've logged in, sign out, and set up TB. From the
    Account Settings, click on Add Account. You want to select
    a POP account. The server name is localhost and the email
    address is your full email address such as 123@aim.com. Its
    not 123@aol.com or 123@netscape.net anymore. When all that
    is set, look in the account under Server Settings, and
    change the port to 2000. Now, make sure that freepops is
    running in the background, and it should access your account
    and download all messages. It is for me.

    So, to repeat:

    Server Name is localhost
    User Name is 123@aim.com
    Port is 2000

    The only problem with FreePops is you have to login to your
    account every once in a while and empty the trash. After
    FreePops downloads the messages, it puts them in the can.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html
    http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778

    only. Thanks

  14. Re: Saving AOL Webmail to T-bird

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > there's a new version of FreePops available and its working with
    > aim.com. It can turn aim accounts into pop accounts:
    > http://www.freepops.org/en/

    apparently, there might be a bug in the download version
    they have on that site, that will cause FreePops to crash. I
    was using that version and it was constantly crashing. So,
    if you get that bug, then download this version:
    http://www.cs.unibo.it/~tassi/beta/F...2.0-gnutls.exe.
    I've been using this one, and so far it hasn't crashed yet.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html
    http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778

    only. Thanks