Unable to change the master password. - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Unable to change the master password. - Mozilla ; Hello, I have 1.5.0.9 on Fedora Core 6. I have migrated my thunderbird files from on machine to another, within the same OS. Now, when I try to change the master password, one is not saved. Any ideas, please? TIA, ...

  1. Unable to change the master password.

    Hello,

    I have 1.5.0.9 on Fedora Core 6.

    I have migrated my thunderbird files from on machine to another, within
    the same OS.

    Now, when I try to change the master password, one is not saved.

    Any ideas, please?

    TIA,
    Vinicius.

  2. Re: Unable to change the master password.

    Vinicius wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have 1.5.0.9 on Fedora Core 6.
    >
    > I have migrated my thunderbird files from on machine to another,
    > within the same OS.
    >
    > Now, when I try to change the master password, one is not saved.
    >
    > Any ideas, please?
    >

    > TIA, Vinicius.

    Just try this method :
    goto Edit>Preferences>Privacy>Password.
    click on 'Remove Master password'.
    restart TB
    now try to set a Master password.
    same problem?

  3. Re: Unable to change the master password.

    Nir escreveu:
    > Vinicius wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have 1.5.0.9 on Fedora Core 6.
    >>
    >> I have migrated my thunderbird files from on machine to another,
    >> within the same OS.
    >>
    >> Now, when I try to change the master password, one is not saved.
    >>
    >> Any ideas, please?
    >>

    >> TIA, Vinicius.

    > Just try this method :
    > goto Edit>Preferences>Privacy>Password.
    > click on 'Remove Master password'.
    > restart TB
    > now try to set a Master password.
    > same problem?

    Hello,

    Unfortunaly, there is no master password to remove.

    Thanks,
    Vinicius.

  4. Re: Unable to change the master password.

    Vinicius escreveu:
    > Nir escreveu:
    >> Vinicius wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I have 1.5.0.9 on Fedora Core 6.
    >>>
    >>> I have migrated my thunderbird files from on machine to another,
    >>> within the same OS.
    >>>
    >>> Now, when I try to change the master password, one is not saved.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas, please?
    >>>

    >>> TIA, Vinicius.

    >> Just try this method :
    >> goto Edit>Preferences>Privacy>Password.
    >> click on 'Remove Master password'.
    >> restart TB
    >> now try to set a Master password.
    >> same problem?

    > Hello,
    >
    > Unfortunaly, there is no master password to remove.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Vinicius.

    Hi,

    Excuse me, I was wrong at first. I would like to create a master
    password, because there isn't one.

    I don't understand why the master password was not migrated too, or if
    it was, why is not working again?

    Regards,
    Vinciius.

  5. Re: Unable to change the master password.

    Vinicius wrote:

    > Excuse me, I was wrong at first. I would like to create a master
    > password, because there isn't one.
    >
    > I don't understand why the master password was not migrated too, or
    > if it was, why is not working again?

    just a query :
    can you see your all saved password at
    Edit>Preference>Privacy>Password>Show password?

  6. Re: Unable to change the master password.

    Nir escreveu:
    > Vinicius wrote:
    >
    >> Excuse me, I was wrong at first. I would like to create a master
    >> password, because there isn't one.
    >>
    >> I don't understand why the master password was not migrated too, or
    >> if it was, why is not working again?
    >>

    > just a query :
    > can you see your all saved password at
    > Edit>Preference>Privacy>Password>Show password?

    Hi,

    I solved the problem:
    1. created a new profile named cviniciusm, edited .thunderbird/profiles.ini;

    2. created the dir ~/.thunderbird/cviniciusm;

    3. copied ~/.thunderbird/default/prefs.js to
    ~/.thunderbird/cviniciusm/prefs.js;

    4. substituted all ocurrences of the path of the default profile inside
    of prefs.js to the path of cviniciusm profile;

    5. moved ~/.thunderbird/default/Mail to ~/.thunderbird/cviniciusm/Mail;

    6. moved ~/.thunderbird/default/News to ~/.thunderbird/cviniciusm/News;

    So, now I was able to create a new master password.

    Everything is working fine.

    That's finished.

    Thanks,
    Vinicius.