E-mail scams - Mozilla

This is a discussion on E-mail scams - Mozilla ; Had TB 1.5.0.9 set to "check mail msgs for email scams." This causes a "scam" bar across the top of every daily msg PC World, NY Times and LA Times. This is regardless of having checked that bar as this ...

  1. E-mail scams

    Had TB 1.5.0.9 set to "check mail msgs for email scams." This causes a
    "scam" bar across the top of every daily msg PC World, NY Times and LA
    Times. This is regardless of having checked that bar as this is not a
    scam innumerable times.

    Therefore I've discontinued use of the scam check. It really hasn't
    found any other email as believed to be a scam. Am I missing something
    of value? Or is this a work in progress not yet ready for prime time?

    Miles

  2. Re: E-mail scams

    Miles wrote:
    > Had TB 1.5.0.9 set to "check mail msgs for email scams." This causes a
    > "scam" bar across the top of every daily msg PC World, NY Times and LA
    > Times. This is regardless of having checked that bar as this is not a
    > scam innumerable times.
    >
    > Therefore I've discontinued use of the scam check. It really hasn't
    > found any other email as believed to be a scam. Am I missing something
    > of value? Or is this a work in progress not yet ready for prime time?

    The Thunderbird scam detector seems to be pretty unintelligent: I think
    a link to an IP address is enough to trip it, and lots of legitimate
    newsletters will use links like that for click tracking purposes. Also,
    as you noticed, telling it that something isn't a scam doesn't help it
    learn.

    Maybe future versions of Thunderbird will use something like Firefox's
    phishing detector. It's pretty smart.
    --
    Matt Nordhoff, back from the dead. Or something.

  3. Re: E-mail scams

    Miles wrote:
    > Had TB 1.5.0.9 set to "check mail msgs for email scams." This causes a
    > "scam" bar across the top of every daily msg PC World, NY Times and LA
    > Times. This is regardless of having checked that bar as this is not a
    > scam innumerable times.

    the scam checking is NOT trainable, atleast at this point of
    time.

    > Therefore I've discontinued use of the scam check. It really hasn't
    > found any other email as believed to be a scam. Am I missing something
    > of value? Or is this a work in progress not yet ready for prime time?
    >
    > Miles

    does that mean you've turned it off? If so, then that would
    explain why you don't see it. Look in the Config Editor and
    check this entry:

    mail.phishing.detection.enabled

    if its set to false, then its turned off.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm
    http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon/46347-Pe...amus_Show.html
    http://www.toonarific.com/show.php?s...h&show_id=2778

    only. Thanks

  4. Re: E-mail scams

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > does that mean you've turned it off? If so, then that would explain why
    > you don't see it. Look in the Config Editor and check this entry:
    >
    > mail.phishing.detection.enabled
    >
    > if its set to false, then its turned off.

    I think that was his point: He turned it off because there were lots of
    false positives but it didn't find many real scams.
    --
    Matt Nordhoff, back from the dead. Or something.

  5. Re: E-mail scams

    Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    > Miles wrote:
    >> Had TB 1.5.0.9 set to "check mail msgs for email scams." This causes
    >> a "scam" bar across the top of every daily msg PC World, NY Times and
    >> LA Times. This is regardless of having checked that bar as this is
    >> not a scam innumerable times.
    >>
    >> Therefore I've discontinued use of the scam check. It really hasn't
    >> found any other email as believed to be a scam. Am I missing
    >> something of value? Or is this a work in progress not yet ready for
    >> prime time?

    > The Thunderbird scam detector seems to be pretty unintelligent: I think
    > a link to an IP address is enough to trip it, and lots of legitimate
    > newsletters will use links like that for click tracking purposes. Also,
    > as you noticed, telling it that something isn't a scam doesn't help it
    > learn.
    >
    > Maybe future versions of Thunderbird will use something like Firefox's
    > phishing detector. It's pretty smart.

    Thanks, and yes, I do hope that in the future TB will have a more
    intelligent detector! And you hit it right, I unchecked it in
    Options, hence turned it off. See no reason whatsoever to leave it on
    since it only finds false positives and does not learn from it's mistakes!

  6. Re: E-mail scams

    Miles wrote

    > Matt Nordhoff wrote:
    >> Miles wrote:
    >>> Had TB 1.5.0.9 set to "check mail msgs for email scams." This causes
    >>> a "scam" bar across the top of every daily msg PC World, NY Times and
    >>> LA Times. This is regardless of having checked that bar as this is
    >>> not a scam innumerable times.
    >>>
    >>> Therefore I've discontinued use of the scam check. It really hasn't
    >>> found any other email as believed to be a scam. Am I missing
    >>> something of value? Or is this a work in progress not yet ready for
    >>> prime time?

    >> The Thunderbird scam detector seems to be pretty unintelligent: I think
    >> a link to an IP address is enough to trip it, and lots of legitimate
    >> newsletters will use links like that for click tracking purposes. Also,
    >> as you noticed, telling it that something isn't a scam doesn't help it
    >> learn.
    >>
    >> Maybe future versions of Thunderbird will use something like Firefox's
    >> phishing detector. It's pretty smart.

    > Thanks, and yes, I do hope that in the future TB will have a more
    > intelligent detector! And you hit it right, I unchecked it in
    > Options, hence turned it off. See no reason whatsoever to leave it on
    > since it only finds false positives and does not learn from it's mistakes!

    It certainly seems to be a waste of space at the moment. I've had it
    turned on since it first appeared, and it has never found one, genuine
    or otherwise. As (in common with most people, I would imagine) I get
    loads of them, I'm not impressed.

    Regards,

    Bob

    --
    Remove "x" from address to reply by email.

  7. Re: E-mail scams

    Bob Henson wrote:
    > Miles wrote
    >
    >> Matt Nordhoff wrote:

    >>> The Thunderbird scam detector seems to be pretty unintelligent: I think
    >>> a link to an IP address is enough to trip it, and lots of legitimate
    >>> newsletters will use links like that for click tracking purposes. Also,
    >>> as you noticed, telling it that something isn't a scam doesn't help it
    >>> learn.
    >>>
    >>> Maybe future versions of Thunderbird will use something like Firefox's
    >>> phishing detector. It's pretty smart.

    >> Thanks, and yes, I do hope that in the future TB will have a more
    >> intelligent detector! And you hit it right, I unchecked it in
    >> Options, hence turned it off. See no reason whatsoever to leave it on
    >> since it only finds false positives and does not learn from it's mistakes!

    > It certainly seems to be a waste of space at the moment. I've had it
    > turned on since it first appeared, and it has never found one, genuine
    > or otherwise. As (in common with most people, I would imagine) I get
    > loads of them, I'm not impressed.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Bob

    I receive one or two phishing emails a week. So far, TB hasn't warned
    me about any that really WERE phishing schemes. But I regard this as a
    feature I don't need as I can usually recognize a phishing scheme
    easily. As a rule, I don't go to any financial site from an email, nor
    do I enter sensitive data into websites unless I went there myself, not
    from an email, and the site is secure.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

+ Reply to Thread