Links in TB no longer open in FF - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Links in TB no longer open in FF - Mozilla ; I get a spinning hour glass and the message up on the top saying TB is not responding. I have to shut down TB to get it to stop. Links /used/ to open in FF. Win XP Pro, TB1.5.0.10, FF2.0.0.2...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. Links in TB no longer open in FF

    I get a spinning hour glass and the message up on the top saying TB is
    not responding. I have to shut down TB to get it to
    stop. Links /used/ to open in FF.

    Win XP Pro, TB1.5.0.10, FF2.0.0.2

  2. Re: Links in TB no longer open in FF

    Tonya Marshall wrote:
    > I get a spinning hour glass and the message up on the top saying TB is
    > not responding. I have to shut down TB to get it to
    > stop. Links /used/ to open in FF.
    >
    > Win XP Pro, TB1.5.0.10, FF2.0.0.2

    Sheesh! I clicked Help > Mozilla Thunderbird Help and the same thing
    happened. :-(

  3. Re: Links in TB no longer open in FF

    On 3/2/2007 11:19 PM, Tbird Leader Tonya Marshall radioed the tower to
    announce:
    > Tonya Marshall wrote:
    >> I get a spinning hour glass and the message up on the top saying TB
    >> is not responding. I have to shut down TB to get it to
    >> stop. Links /used/ to open in FF.
    >>
    >> Win XP Pro, TB1.5.0.10, FF2.0.0.2

    > Sheesh! I clicked Help > Mozilla Thunderbird Help and the same thing
    > happened. :-(

    A quick basic check. Have you verified the settings of a software
    firewall to see if it is permitting the new Tbird update (1.5.0.10) to
    access the Internet. Some firewalls even control port to port
    communication locally between applications such as TB and FF. So that
    can be part of what you can verify too.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  4. Re: Links in TB no longer open in FF

    Tonya Marshall wrote:
    > I get a spinning hour glass and the message up on the top saying TB
    > is not responding. I have to shut down TB to get it to stop. Links
    > /used/ to open in FF.
    >
    > Win XP Pro, TB1.5.0.10, FF2.0.0.2

    check followings:

    Set FF as your systems default browser again
    "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_browser#Windows"
    now try to reproduce that problem

    start TB in safe mode : start > programs > thunderbird[no extension]
    check whether same problem occurs or not.

    if you have any program like ZoneAlarm that can monitor program activity
    , just disable/stop completely for test purpose and try to reproduce
    same problem

  5. Re: Links in TB no longer open in FF

    Tonya Marshall wrote:
    > Tonya Marshall wrote:
    >> I get a spinning hour glass and the message up on the top saying TB is
    >> not responding. I have to shut down TB to get it to
    >> stop. Links /used/ to open in FF.
    >>
    >> Win XP Pro, TB1.5.0.10, FF2.0.0.2

    > Sheesh! I clicked Help > Mozilla Thunderbird Help and the same thing
    > happened. :-(

    You probably need to make sure that TB is your default mail/news client,
    and that FF is your default browser.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  6. Re: Links in TB no longer open in FF

    Nir wrote:
    > Tonya Marshall wrote:
    >> I get a spinning hour glass and the message up on the top saying TB
    >> is not responding. I have to shut down TB to get it to stop. Links
    >> /used/ to open in FF.
    >>
    >> Win XP Pro, TB1.5.0.10, FF2.0.0.2

    > check followings:
    >
    > Set FF as your systems default browser again
    > "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_browser#Windows"
    > now try to reproduce that problem
    >
    > start TB in safe mode : start > programs > thunderbird[no extension]
    > check whether same problem occurs or not.
    >
    > if you have any program like ZoneAlarm that can monitor program activity
    > , just disable/stop completely for test purpose and try to reproduce
    > same problem

    This is really strange. First I emailed myself a trusted site to browse
    to and tested to make sure it would or would not work. Didn't open in FF.

    Disabled ZoneAlarm, restarted TB. Same results. No opening of link in FF.

    Restarted TB in Safe mode. No joy.

    Restarted TB again, this time with ZoneAlarm disabled and in safe mode.
    Nope.

    Booted, disabled ZoneAlarm, opened TB, clicked link, it opened in FF.

    Booted, left ZoneAlarm running, started in Safe mode, clicked link it
    opened in FF.

    Booted one more time. Opened TB with nothing disabled and not in safe
    mode, clicked link, it opened in FF.

    Go figure. I've been having trouble for a few days with links not
    opening from TB. Now it's working. Don't know for how long.

  7. Re: Links in TB no longer open in FF

    On 3/3/2007 3:13 AM, Tbird Leader Tonya Marshall radioed the tower to
    announce:
    > Tonya Marshall wrote:
    >> Nir wrote:

    >>> check followings:
    >>>
    >>> Set FF as your systems default browser again
    >>> "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_browser#Windows"
    >>> now try to reproduce that problem
    >>>
    >>> start TB in safe mode : start > programs > thunderbird[no extension]
    >>> check whether same problem occurs or not.
    >>>
    >>> if you have any program like ZoneAlarm that can monitor program
    >>> activity
    >>> , just disable/stop completely for test purpose and try to reproduce
    >>> same problem

    >> This is really strange. First I emailed myself a trusted site to
    >> browse to and tested to make sure it would or would not work. Didn't
    >> open in FF.
    >>
    >> Disabled ZoneAlarm, restarted TB. Same results. No opening of link in
    >> FF.
    >>
    >> Restarted TB in Safe mode. No joy.
    >>
    >> Restarted TB again, this time with ZoneAlarm disabled and in safe
    >> mode. Nope.
    >>
    >> Booted, disabled ZoneAlarm, opened TB, clicked link, it opened in FF.
    >>
    >> Booted, left ZoneAlarm running, started in Safe mode, clicked link it
    >> opened in FF.
    >>
    >> Booted one more time. Opened TB with nothing disabled and not in safe
    >> mode, clicked link, it opened in FF.
    >>
    >> Go figure. I've been having trouble for a few days with links not
    >> opening from TB. Now it's working. Don't know for how long.

    > BTW, thanks guys for responding and steering me in the right
    > direction. Gonna shut this down and see what it does in the morning.

    Good ol ZAP struck again. During the trail period it provides more
    informational messages than when running as Free. ZA always requires a
    reboot to kill it for testing. Thinking that the system bar icon being
    closed down stops ZA is false as it only kills the user interface and
    leaves the actual firewall up and running. One reason ZA has a good
    reputation is it's outbound function to stop malware from calling home,
    but it also works to prevent hijacking of good privileged applications
    to bypass the protection. This is why I pointed out the application
    port to port privileges concept.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  8. Re: Links in TB no longer open in FF

    On 2007-03-03 01:18 (-0700 UTC), Ron K. wrote:

    > Good ol ZAP struck again. During the trail period it provides more
    > informational messages than when running as Free. ZA always requires a
    > reboot to kill it for testing. Thinking that the system bar icon being
    > closed down stops ZA is false as it only kills the user interface and
    > leaves the actual firewall up and running. One reason ZA has a good
    > reputation is it's outbound function to stop malware from calling home,
    > but it also works to prevent hijacking of good privileged applications
    > to bypass the protection. This is why I pointed out the application
    > port to port privileges concept.

    *Harrumph!* :-P

    Personal experiences with ZA were no good, I'm afeared, both in network and
    personal environments. . . . :-\

    /b.

    --
    String quartets don't march very well.
    --Donald Barthelme, /The Dead Father/

  9. Re: Links in TB no longer open in FF

    Brian Heinrich wrote:
    > On 2007-03-03 01:18 (-0700 UTC), Ron K. wrote:
    >

    >> Good ol ZAP struck again. During the trail period it provides more
    >> informational messages than when running as Free. ZA always requires a
    >> reboot to kill it for testing. Thinking that the system bar icon being
    >> closed down stops ZA is false as it only kills the user interface and
    >> leaves the actual firewall up and running. One reason ZA has a good
    >> reputation is it's outbound function to stop malware from calling home,
    >> but it also works to prevent hijacking of good privileged applications
    >> to bypass the protection. This is why I pointed out the application
    >> port to port privileges concept.

    > *Harrumph!* :-P
    >
    > Personal experiences with ZA were no good, I'm afeared, both in network and
    > personal environments. . . . :-\
    >
    > /b.

    I've been using ZA since it was first made. I went to ZAP and then last
    year switched back to ZA Free as I didn't like all the stuff they
    started putting in it.

    Firewalls want to get into the AV field, AV's want to get into the
    firewall stuff. Switched to a free AV after Norton AV put in a firewall.
    Too danged many crossovers. :-\

  10. Re: Links in TB no longer open in FF

    Tonya Marshall wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> Tonya Marshall wrote:
    >>> I get a spinning hour glass and the message up on the top saying TB
    >>> is not responding. I have to shut down TB to get it to stop. Links
    >>> /used/ to open in FF.
    >>>
    >>> Win XP Pro, TB1.5.0.10, FF2.0.0.2

    >> check followings:
    >>
    >> Set FF as your systems default browser again
    >> "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_browser#Windows"
    >> now try to reproduce that problem
    >>
    >> start TB in safe mode : start > programs > thunderbird[no extension]
    >> check whether same problem occurs or not.
    >>
    >> if you have any program like ZoneAlarm that can monitor program activity
    >> , just disable/stop completely for test purpose and try to reproduce
    >> same problem

    > This is really strange. First I emailed myself a trusted site to browse
    > to and tested to make sure it would or would not work. Didn't open in FF.
    >
    > Disabled ZoneAlarm, restarted TB. Same results. No opening of link in FF.
    >
    > Restarted TB in Safe mode. No joy.
    >
    > Restarted TB again, this time with ZoneAlarm disabled and in safe mode.
    > Nope.
    >
    > Booted, disabled ZoneAlarm, opened TB, clicked link, it opened in FF.
    >
    > Booted, left ZoneAlarm running, started in Safe mode, clicked link it
    > opened in FF.
    >
    > Booted one more time. Opened TB with nothing disabled and not in safe
    > mode, clicked link, it opened in FF.
    >
    > Go figure. I've been having trouble for a few days with links not
    > opening from TB. Now it's working. Don't know for how long.

    Did you happen to an MS update before this problem started? If so, the
    update process may have updated IE, which will usually make it the
    default browser again...

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  11. Re: Links in TB no longer open in FF

    Ron K. wrote:
    > On 3/3/2007 3:13 AM, Tbird Leader Tonya Marshall radioed the tower to
    > announce:
    >> Tonya Marshall wrote:

    >>> This is really strange. First I emailed myself a trusted site to
    >>> browse to and tested to make sure it would or would not work. Didn't
    >>> open in FF.
    >>>
    >>> Disabled ZoneAlarm, restarted TB. Same results. No opening of link in
    >>> FF.
    >>>
    >>> Restarted TB in Safe mode. No joy.
    >>>
    >>> Restarted TB again, this time with ZoneAlarm disabled and in safe
    >>> mode. Nope.
    >>>
    >>> Booted, disabled ZoneAlarm, opened TB, clicked link, it opened in FF.
    >>>
    >>> Booted, left ZoneAlarm running, started in Safe mode, clicked link it
    >>> opened in FF.
    >>>
    >>> Booted one more time. Opened TB with nothing disabled and not in safe
    >>> mode, clicked link, it opened in FF.
    >>>
    >>> Go figure. I've been having trouble for a few days with links not
    >>> opening from TB. Now it's working. Don't know for how long.

    >> BTW, thanks guys for responding and steering me in the right
    >> direction. Gonna shut this down and see what it does in the morning.

    > Good ol ZAP struck again. During the trail period it provides more
    > informational messages than when running as Free. ZA always requires a
    > reboot to kill it for testing. Thinking that the system bar icon being
    > closed down stops ZA is false as it only kills the user interface and
    > leaves the actual firewall up and running. One reason ZA has a good
    > reputation is it's outbound function to stop malware from calling home,
    > but it also works to prevent hijacking of good privileged applications
    > to bypass the protection. This is why I pointed out the application
    > port to port privileges concept.

    ZAP is certainly a secure firewall program, but I find Outpost as
    secure, and much easier to use, especially for testing.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  12. Re: Links in TB no longer open in FF

    Brian Heinrich wrote:
    > On 2007-03-03 01:18 (-0700 UTC), Ron K. wrote:
    >

    >> Good ol ZAP struck again. During the trail period it provides more
    >> informational messages than when running as Free. ZA always requires a
    >> reboot to kill it for testing. Thinking that the system bar icon
    >> being closed down stops ZA is false as it only kills the user
    >> interface and leaves the actual firewall up and running. One reason
    >> ZA has a good reputation is it's outbound function to stop malware
    >> from calling home, but it also works to prevent hijacking of good
    >> privileged applications to bypass the protection. This is why I
    >> pointed out the application port to port privileges concept.

    > *Harrumph!* :-P
    >
    > Personal experiences with ZA were no good, I'm afeared, both in network
    > and personal environments. . . . :-\
    >
    > /b.

    The main reason I stopped using ZAP was that it was taking too much cpu
    time on my old, slow processor, cutting my broadband download speed in half!

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  13. Re: Links in TB no longer open in FF

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Tonya Marshall wrote:
    >> Nir wrote:

    >>> check followings:
    >>>
    >>> Set FF as your systems default browser again
    >>> "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_browser#Windows"
    >>> now try to reproduce that problem
    >>>
    >>> start TB in safe mode : start > programs > thunderbird[no extension]
    >>> check whether same problem occurs or not.
    >>>
    >>> if you have any program like ZoneAlarm that can monitor program activity
    >>> , just disable/stop completely for test purpose and try to reproduce
    >>> same problem

    >> This is really strange. First I emailed myself a trusted site to browse
    >> to and tested to make sure it would or would not work. Didn't open in FF.
    >>
    >> Disabled ZoneAlarm, restarted TB. Same results. No opening of link in FF.
    >>
    >> Restarted TB in Safe mode. No joy.
    >>
    >> Restarted TB again, this time with ZoneAlarm disabled and in safe mode.
    >> Nope.
    >>
    >> Booted, disabled ZoneAlarm, opened TB, clicked link, it opened in FF.
    >>
    >> Booted, left ZoneAlarm running, started in Safe mode, clicked link it
    >> opened in FF.
    >>
    >> Booted one more time. Opened TB with nothing disabled and not in safe
    >> mode, clicked link, it opened in FF.
    >>
    >> Go figure. I've been having trouble for a few days with links not
    >> opening from TB. Now it's working. Don't know for how long.

    > Did you happen to an MS update before this problem started? If so, the
    > update process may have updated IE, which will usually make it the
    > default browser again...

    In the last week I've had:
    M$ update
    FF update
    TB update

    FF & TB remained my default browser and mail apps though.
    I allowed the new FF & TB in ZA when I started them.

    If IE had been changed to my default, the links would have opened in that.

  14. Re: Links in TB no longer open in FF

    Tonya Marshall wrote:
    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >> Tonya Marshall wrote:

    >>> This is really strange. First I emailed myself a trusted site to
    >>> browse to and tested to make sure it would or would not work. Didn't
    >>> open in FF.
    >>>
    >>> Disabled ZoneAlarm, restarted TB. Same results. No opening of link in
    >>> FF.
    >>>
    >>> Restarted TB in Safe mode. No joy.
    >>>
    >>> Restarted TB again, this time with ZoneAlarm disabled and in safe
    >>> mode. Nope.
    >>>
    >>> Booted, disabled ZoneAlarm, opened TB, clicked link, it opened in FF.
    >>>
    >>> Booted, left ZoneAlarm running, started in Safe mode, clicked link it
    >>> opened in FF.
    >>>
    >>> Booted one more time. Opened TB with nothing disabled and not in safe
    >>> mode, clicked link, it opened in FF.
    >>>
    >>> Go figure. I've been having trouble for a few days with links not
    >>> opening from TB. Now it's working. Don't know for how long.

    >> Did you happen to an MS update before this problem started? If so,
    >> the update process may have updated IE, which will usually make it the
    >> default browser again...
    >>

    > In the last week I've had:
    > M$ update
    > FF update
    > TB update
    >
    > FF & TB remained my default browser and mail apps though.
    > I allowed the new FF & TB in ZA when I started them.
    >
    > If IE had been changed to my default, the links would have opened in that.

    Just do the exercise. Go to the Run/Install control panel applet and
    select set program access and defaults and make sure FF and TB are set
    appropriately, then have both FF and TB check to see if they are
    default, and set them if not, then try a link again.
    Sometimes the updates mess up the settings by changing them in one
    place, and not in another.

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  15. Re: Links in TB no longer open in FF

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > Tonya Marshall wrote:
    >> Ron Hunter wrote:

    >>> Did you happen to an MS update before this problem started? If so,
    >>> the update process may have updated IE, which will usually make it the
    >>> default browser again...
    >>>

    >> In the last week I've had:
    >> M$ update
    >> FF update
    >> TB update
    >>
    >> FF & TB remained my default browser and mail apps though.
    >> I allowed the new FF & TB in ZA when I started them.
    >>
    >> If IE had been changed to my default, the links would have opened in that.

    > Just do the exercise. Go to the Run/Install control panel applet and
    > select set program access and defaults and make sure FF and TB are set
    > appropriately, then have both FF and TB check to see if they are
    > default, and set them if not, then try a link again.
    > Sometimes the updates mess up the settings by changing them in one
    > place, and not in another.

    I guess you didn't see my notice that it is working now, Ron. 8-)

  16. Re: Links in TB no longer open in FF

    On 3/3/2007 11:06 AM, Tbird Leader Ron Hunter radioed the tower to
    announce:
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> On 3/3/2007 3:13 AM, Tbird Leader Tonya Marshall radioed the tower to
    >> announce:

    >>> BTW, thanks guys for responding and steering me in the right
    >>> direction. Gonna shut this down and see what it does in the morning.

    >> Good ol ZAP struck again. During the trail period it provides more
    >> informational messages than when running as Free. ZA always requires
    >> a reboot to kill it for testing. Thinking that the system bar icon
    >> being closed down stops ZA is false as it only kills the user
    >> interface and leaves the actual firewall up and running. One reason
    >> ZA has a good reputation is it's outbound function to stop malware
    >> from calling home, but it also works to prevent hijacking of good
    >> privileged applications to bypass the protection. This is why I
    >> pointed out the application port to port privileges concept.
    >>

    > ZAP is certainly a secure firewall program, but I find Outpost as
    > secure, and much easier to use, especially for testing.

    What is the price for outpost ? If free a link would be appreciated.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  17. Re: Links in TB no longer open in FF

    On 2007-03-03 13:44 (-0700 UTC), Ron K. wrote:

    > What is the price for outpost ? If free a link would be appreciated.

    /b.

    --
    String quartets don't march very well.
    --Donald Barthelme, /The Dead Father/

  18. Re: Links in TB no longer open in FF

    On 3/4/2007 2:02 AM, Tbird Leader Brian Heinrich radioed the tower to
    announce:
    > On 2007-03-03 13:44 (-0700 UTC), Ron K. wrote:
    >

    >> What is the price for outpost ? If free a link would be appreciated.

    > /b.

    I am just enough of a security nut to like having two levels of firewall
    security and ZA no longer supports Win ME or older. Looks like Outpost
    will. Thanks.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  19. Re: Links in TB no longer open in FF

    Ron K. wrote:
    > On 3/3/2007 11:06 AM, Tbird Leader Ron Hunter radioed the tower to
    > announce:
    >> Ron K. wrote:
    >>> On 3/3/2007 3:13 AM, Tbird Leader Tonya Marshall radioed the tower to
    >>> announce:

    >>> Good ol ZAP struck again. During the trail period it provides more
    >>> informational messages than when running as Free. ZA always requires
    >>> a reboot to kill it for testing. Thinking that the system bar icon
    >>> being closed down stops ZA is false as it only kills the user
    >>> interface and leaves the actual firewall up and running. One reason
    >>> ZA has a good reputation is it's outbound function to stop malware
    >>> from calling home, but it also works to prevent hijacking of good
    >>> privileged applications to bypass the protection. This is why I
    >>> pointed out the application port to port privileges concept.
    >>>

    >> ZAP is certainly a secure firewall program, but I find Outpost as
    >> secure, and much easier to use, especially for testing.
    >>

    > What is the price for outpost ? If free a link would be appreciated.

    There is a free version of Outpost, which should be adequate for users
    who don't have a LAN. You can find it, and pricing, as well as
    information on the functions, at:
    www.agnitum.com

    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  20. Re: Links in TB no longer open in FF

    Ron K. wrote:
    > On 3/4/2007 2:02 AM, Tbird Leader Brian Heinrich radioed the tower to
    > announce:
    >> On 2007-03-03 13:44 (-0700 UTC), Ron K. wrote:
    >>

    >>> What is the price for outpost ? If free a link would be appreciated.

    >> /b.

    > I am just enough of a security nut to like having two levels of firewall
    > security and ZA no longer supports Win ME or older. Looks like Outpost
    > will. Thanks.

    Excuse me? Two levels of firewall protection? I HOPE you aren't
    planning to run two software firewalls on the same computer. This is an
    invitation to really confusing problems.
    If you mean a firewall in the router, and one in each computer, good
    plan, although keeping everything in sync can be a problem itself.