Links in TB no longer open in FF - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Links in TB no longer open in FF - Mozilla ; On 3/4/2007 3:42 AM, Tbird Leader Ron Hunter radioed the tower to announce: > Ron K. wrote: >> On 3/4/2007 2:02 AM, Tbird Leader Brian Heinrich radioed the tower to >> announce: >>> On 2007-03-03 13:44 (-0700 UTC), Ron K. ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 24 of 24

Thread: Links in TB no longer open in FF

  1. Re: Links in TB no longer open in FF

    On 3/4/2007 3:42 AM, Tbird Leader Ron Hunter radioed the tower to announce:
    > Ron K. wrote:
    >> On 3/4/2007 2:02 AM, Tbird Leader Brian Heinrich radioed the tower to
    >> announce:
    >>> On 2007-03-03 13:44 (-0700 UTC), Ron K. wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> What is the price for outpost ? If free a link would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> /b.

    >>
    >> I am just enough of a security nut to like having two levels of
    >> firewall security and ZA no longer supports Win ME or older. Looks
    >> like Outpost will. Thanks.
    >>

    >
    > Excuse me? Two levels of firewall protection? I HOPE you aren't
    > planning to run two software firewalls on the same computer. This is
    > an invitation to really confusing problems.
    > If you mean a firewall in the router, and one in each computer, good
    > plan, although keeping everything in sync can be a problem itself.
    >
    >

    Not at all. My DSL link is a Firewall, Modem, Router combo and is Ok
    for inbound. I want the software firewall for the outbound security
    they can add. It's a layered security concept.

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

  2. Re: Links in TB no longer open in FF

    On 2007-03-04 12:01 (-0700 UTC), Ron K. wrote:



    > My DSL link is a Firewall, Modem, Router combo and is Ok
    > for inbound. I want the software firewall for the outbound security
    > they can add. It's a layered security concept.


    I do the same under Windows, and for the same reason, and have also had
    difficulty explaining the rationale to people.

    /b.

    --
    String quartets don't march very well.
    --Donald Barthelme, /The Dead Father/

  3. Re: Links in TB no longer open in FF

    Ron K. wrote:
    > On 3/4/2007 3:42 AM, Tbird Leader Ron Hunter radioed the tower to announce:
    >> Ron K. wrote:
    >>> On 3/4/2007 2:02 AM, Tbird Leader Brian Heinrich radioed the tower to
    >>> announce:
    >>>> On 2007-03-03 13:44 (-0700 UTC), Ron K. wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> What is the price for outpost ? If free a link would be appreciated.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> /b.
    >>>
    >>> I am just enough of a security nut to like having two levels of
    >>> firewall security and ZA no longer supports Win ME or older. Looks
    >>> like Outpost will. Thanks.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Excuse me? Two levels of firewall protection? I HOPE you aren't
    >> planning to run two software firewalls on the same computer. This is
    >> an invitation to really confusing problems.
    >> If you mean a firewall in the router, and one in each computer, good
    >> plan, although keeping everything in sync can be a problem itself.
    >>
    >>

    > Not at all. My DSL link is a Firewall, Modem, Router combo and is Ok
    > for inbound. I want the software firewall for the outbound security
    > they can add. It's a layered security concept.
    >

    I have a LAN with three computers, two desktops (wired), and a laptop
    (wireless). All have software firewalls, and so I don't use the
    router's firewall function as the software firewall has been more than
    adequate. Even so, keeping the software firewalls all set up to
    maintain my network as I want it can be a problem when updates to the
    OS, and the firewall both tend to change my settings sometimes.
    Believe it or not, many people believe that is one software firewall
    program is good, two is better. NOT a good thing.


    --
    Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

  4. Re: Links in TB no longer open in FF

    On 3/4/2007 4:11 PM, Tbird Leader Brian Heinrich radioed the tower to
    announce:
    > On 2007-03-04 12:01 (-0700 UTC), Ron K. wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >> My DSL link is a Firewall, Modem, Router combo and is Ok for
    >> inbound. I want the software firewall for the outbound security they
    >> can add. It's a layered security concept.

    >
    > I do the same under Windows, and for the same reason, and have also
    > had difficulty explaining the rationale to people.
    >
    > /b.
    >


    Big differences they should respect is Firmware memory in the hardware
    FW is tiny and risky to flash. Software can detect bad port to port
    malware misuse when it riggers, well before a hard to ID phone home call
    arrives at the hardware FW maskarading as good traffic. Try to teach
    firmware to be as smart as software. There DSL or Cable modems would
    cost hundreds of dollars more.

    Since FF and TB use inter-port pathways, they have got to have a strong
    security model that can reject efforts by malware to dupe FF or TB into
    processing an otherwise unauthorized action. ( See I drifted back
    toward the topic )

    --
    Ron K.
    Don't be a fonted, it's just type casting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2