Messages left on server download multiple times - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Messages left on server download multiple times - Mozilla ; I've got Thunderbird set to leave messages on the server because I need to get at my e-mail at two locations on two different machines. However, what's happening is one machine, which I just recently upgraded with Ubuntu and a ...

  1. Messages left on server download multiple times

    I've got Thunderbird set to leave messages on the server because I need
    to get at my e-mail at two locations on two different machines.

    However, what's happening is one machine, which I just recently upgraded
    with Ubuntu and a new copy of Thunderbird, is misbehaving. Each time I
    grab new messages from the server, I get old messages as well. If I let
    Thunderbird download messages automatically, of course over time I get
    dozens of copies of the same messages.

    Does anyone know what might be causing this? I've checked the messages
    directly on the server by using a webmail facility and all the messages
    are marked as read so I don't think it's a problem with the server's
    settings.

  2. Re: Messages left on server download multiple times

    Never mind. I just saw the slightly earlier post "duplicate messages."
    I've had a look at the URL posted there. I'll see if uninstalling &
    reinstalling Thunderbird helps.

    BTW, there is no "popstate.dat" file with my installation.

  3. Re: Messages left on server download multiple times

    I was wrong. "popstate.dat" does exist on my system but deleting
    doesn't do anything to resolve the multiple message bug.

    > Never mind. I just saw the slightly earlier post "duplicate messages."
    > I've had a look at the URL posted there. I'll see if uninstalling &
    > reinstalling Thunderbird helps.
    >
    > BTW, there is no "popstate.dat" file with my installation.

  4. Re: Messages left on server download multiple times

    Kerry Lange wrote:
    >> Never mind. I just saw the slightly earlier post "duplicate
    >> messages." I've had a look at the URL posted there. I'll see if
    >> uninstalling & reinstalling Thunderbird helps.
    >>
    >> BTW, there is no "popstate.dat" file with my installation.

    > I was wrong. "popstate.dat" does exist on my system but deleting
    > doesn't do anything to resolve the multiple message bug.

    Please bottom post in this newsgroup. Thanks

    1st.
    goto Edit>Account Settings>That account>Server settings.
    select 'Fetch headers only' option ( just for testing purpose )
    completely close TB. goto TB profile folder
    [ goto Edit>Preferences>Advanced>General>Config Editor. type
    'mail.root.none' in filter , value of this preference holds the path of
    your TB profile folder ]
    open Mail folder
    open folder of that mail account
    now rename "popstate.dat" to "popstate.dat.1".
    start TB
    for the 1st time TB will download all messages from server.
    now restart TB , send a mail to yourself , try to download it. same
    problem arises?

    2nd.another probable way to solve it: backup profile folder in that
    problematic computer , copy profile folder from another computer and
    overwrite the problematic profile with that.
    delete all .msf files from 'Mail' folder
    start TB and check.

    ["http://kb.mozillazine.org/Repeatably_downloading_the_same_messages"]

+ Reply to Thread