Thunderbird and French - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Thunderbird and French - Mozilla ; On 2007-02-10 13:39 (-0700 UTC), Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote: > Brian Heinrich wrote: > On 2007-02-10 11:59 (-0700 UTC), gin wrote: > > > > | It isn't a problem of word with or without accent but the problem is ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: OT Re: Thunderbird and French

    On 2007-02-10 13:39 (-0700 UTC), Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:

    > Brian Heinrich wrote:
    > On 2007-02-10 11:59 (-0700 UTC), gin wrote:
    >

    > | It isn't a problem of word with or without accent but the problem is if
    > | the installation forlder of thunderbird is written with an accent in
    > | this letters, spellchecker doesn't work. And in french, network is
    > | translated by Réseau with an "é"...
    >
    > Is Réseau the default installation location for the French
    > localisation of
    > Thunderbird?
    >
    > /b.
    >
    > Gad that's ugly. Does mozilla have a way to suppress PGP? Slrn does it
    > quite nicely. I ask since you use it..

    I've been wanting to play with Enigmail/OpenPGP for some time, now, and it's
    been a bit of a learning curve.

    This message should look a lot better, but I'm still curious as to how I've
    ended up with MIME quoted-printable (I'm assuming that it's 'cos I'm using
    PGP/MIME). :-(

    Which is a bit of a round-about way of saying that I don't know how to
    suppress those blocks. I was playing a bit in the config editor earlier
    today, and kept an eye open, but couldn't find anything. . . . :-(

    /b.

    --
    People are stupid. /A/ person may be smart, but /people/ are stupid.
    --Stephen M. Graham

  2. Re: OT Re: Thunderbird and French

    On 11/02/2007 10:10, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Brian Heinrich
    to generate the following:? :
    > On 2007-02-10 13:39 (-0700 UTC), Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >

    >> Brian Heinrich wrote:
    >> On 2007-02-10 11:59 (-0700 UTC), gin wrote:
    >>

    >> | It isn't a problem of word with or without accent but the problem is if
    >> | the installation forlder of thunderbird is written with an accent in
    >> | this letters, spellchecker doesn't work. And in french, network is
    >> | translated by Réseau with an "é"...
    >>
    >> Is Réseau the default installation location for the French
    >> localisation of
    >> Thunderbird?
    >>
    >> /b.
    >>
    >> Gad that's ugly. Does mozilla have a way to suppress PGP? Slrn does it
    >> quite nicely. I ask since you use it..
    >>

    > I've been wanting to play with Enigmail/OpenPGP for some time, now, and it's
    > been a bit of a learning curve.
    >
    > This message should look a lot better, but I'm still curious as to how I've
    > ended up with MIME quoted-printable (I'm assuming that it's 'cos I'm using
    > PGP/MIME). :-(
    >
    > Which is a bit of a round-about way of saying that I don't know how to
    > suppress those blocks. I was playing a bit in the config editor earlier
    > today, and kept an eye open, but couldn't find anything. . . . :-(
    >
    > /b.

    Brian - your delimiter was incorrect with dash space dash dash

    reg

  3. OT Re: Thunderbird and French

    On 10/02/2007 21:59, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused gin to
    generate the following:? :
    > John Doue a écrit :
    >
    >> gin wrote:

    >>> It isn't a problem of word with or without accent but the problem is
    >>> if the installation forlder of thunderbird is written with an accent
    >>> in this letters, spellchecker doesn't work. And in french, network is
    >>> translated by Réseau with an "é"...
    >>>

    >> Oui, bien sûr. Mais mon expérience m'a fait constater que même sur des
    >> versions françaises de logiciels, il est à éviter d'utiliser des
    >> caractères avec des accents pour les noms de fichiers et de répertoires
    >> du fait des limitations héritées du temps du Dos, même si elles sont
    >> censées avoir été gommées. Personnellement, je limite toujours à 8
    >> caractères le nom des "directories" et n'emploie jamais de caractères
    >> autres que les xxx lettres de l'alphabet. Une source de soucis en moi.
    >>

    > Je viens d'éliminer le problème en downloadant la version beta2 de
    > Thunderbird avec son nouveau dictionnaire. Plus de problème. Comme quoi
    > c'était bien un bug, et il a été corrigé...
    > Un grand bravo à l'équipe de dvp de Thunderbird.

    hmmmm - for french, there's a lot of foreign words in there...
    *download* -ant
    version
    accents
    Plus
    bug
    Thunderbird

    dunno just *what* the national language committee will say to that!

    reg

  4. Re: OT Re: Thunderbird and French

    Brian Heinrich wrote:
    > On 2007-02-10 13:39 (-0700 UTC), Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
    >
    >> Brian Heinrich wrote: On 2007-02-10 11:59 (-0700 UTC), gin wrote:
    >>

    >> | It isn't a problem of word with or without accent but the problem
    >> is if | the installation forlder of thunderbird is written with an
    >> accent in | this letters, spellchecker doesn't work. And in
    >> french, network is | translated by Réseau with an "é"...
    >>
    >> Is Réseau the default installation location for the French
    >> localisation of Thunderbird?
    >>
    >> /b.
    >>
    >> Gad that's ugly. Does mozilla have a way to suppress PGP? Slrn
    >> does it quite nicely. I ask since you use it..

    > I've been wanting to play with Enigmail/OpenPGP for some time, now,
    > and it's been a bit of a learning curve.
    >
    > This message should look a lot better, but I'm still curious as to
    > how I've ended up with MIME quoted-printable (I'm assuming that it's
    > 'cos I'm using PGP/MIME). :-(
    >
    > Which is a bit of a round-about way of saying that I don't know how
    > to suppress those blocks. I was playing a bit in the config editor
    > earlier today, and kept an eye open, but couldn't find anything. . .
    > . :-(
    >
    > /b.

    Brian , I have used Enigmail before . as far i can remember , it has an
    settings/option to send your digital sig. as attachment , not inline.
    well , i'm not sure whether it is possible to send that sig. as
    attachment to these NG

  5. Re: OT Re: Thunderbird and French

    On 2007-02-11 04:03 (-0700 UTC), squaredancer wrote:

    > Brian - your delimiter was incorrect with dash space dash dash

    The delimiter on the posting to which you replied /should/ be OK. But, of
    course, it's hard for me to say for sure, because I /do/ have
    Enigmail/OpenPGP installed.

    Again, I'm just playing with Enigmail/OpenPGP. I've used S/MIME for several
    years, primarily for signing (I always find myself surprised that people can
    get their knickers in a knot regarding, say, tracking cookies, and yet so
    few people seem concerned about ensuring the integrity of their e-mail).

    If what I'm primarily going to end up doing is signing e-mail, S/MIME isn't
    particularly efficient, given the size of the signature block.

    Right now, I seem to have Enigmail/OpenPGP largely doing what I want, except
    for the use of MIME quote-printable in plain-text parts.

    /b.

    --
    People are stupid. /A/ person may be smart, but /people/ are stupid.
    --Stephen M. Graham

  6. Re: OT Re: Thunderbird and French

    On 2007-02-11 06:09 (-0700 UTC), Nir wrote:

    > Brian Heinrich wrote:

    >>> is if | the installation forlder of thunderbird is written with an
    >>> accent in | this letters, spellchecker doesn't work. And in
    >>> french, network is | translated by Réseau with an "é"...
    >>>
    >>> Is Réseau the default installation location for the French
    >>> localisation of Thunderbird?
    >>>
    >>> /b.
    >>>
    >>> Gad that's ugly. Does mozilla have a way to suppress PGP? Slrn
    >>> does it quite nicely. I ask since you use it..

    >> I've been wanting to play with Enigmail/OpenPGP for some time, now,
    >> and it's been a bit of a learning curve.
    >>
    >> This message should look a lot better, but I'm still curious as to
    >> how I've ended up with MIME quoted-printable (I'm assuming that it's
    >> 'cos I'm using PGP/MIME). :-(
    >>
    >> Which is a bit of a round-about way of saying that I don't know how
    >> to suppress those blocks. I was playing a bit in the config editor
    >> earlier today, and kept an eye open, but couldn't find anything. . .
    >> . :-(
    >>
    >> /b.

    > Brian , I have used Enigmail before . as far i can remember , it has an
    > settings/option to send your digital sig. as attachment , not inline.
    > well , i'm not sure whether it is possible to send that sig. as
    > attachment to these NG

    One of the things I've done is to change the settings from inline PGP to
    PGP/MIME, which, from what I can see here, seems to've cleaned up most of
    overt ugliness, including getting rid of the use of the pipe to indicate
    quote levels.

    It seems to be working well, except that plain-text parts are converted into
    MIME quoted-printable, and I'm not quite sure why. I've never had that
    happen with Moz/SM/Tb before using Enigmail.

    The option to under Composition : General to use quoted-printable MIME
    encoding for messages that contain 8-bit characters remains deselected, and
    I can find nothing in prefs.js to indicate why this conversion is happening.
    . . . :-(

    /b.

    --
    People are stupid. /A/ person may be smart, but /people/ are stupid.
    --Stephen M. Graham

  7. Re: OT Re: Thunderbird and French

    Brian Heinrich wrote:

    > It seems to be working well, except that plain-text parts are converted
    > into MIME quoted-printable, and I'm not quite sure why. I've never had
    > that happen with Moz/SM/Tb before using Enigmail.

    I woulnd't be surprised if Enigmail enforced that. It might have
    a good reason to do so.

    Some servers autoconvert 8bit bodies to quoted-printable to make
    sure that they can pass through a 7-bit channel without problems.
    After all, neither NNTP nor SMTP servers are required to handle
    8-bit characters in messages.

    Sendmail does this, but only when it connects to a system that
    doesn't do 8bit ESMTP.

    *If* PGP/MIME is works on the encoded body, automatic encodings
    done by servers would result in signed mail beeing flagged as
    altered (and encrypted mail beeing broken).

    Also, some servers just seems to strip 8-bit characters or the
    8th bit of such characters, wich of course will also break things.

    Now, if Enigmail enforces this even when there are no 8-bit
    characters in the body I'd say that's got probably unecessary.

    > The option to under Composition : General to use quoted-printable MIME
    > encoding for messages that contain 8-bit characters remains deselected,
    > and I can find nothing in prefs.js to indicate why this conversion is
    > happening. . . . :-(

    Does TB check that A SMTP server actually handles 8-bit ESMTP
    before sending a mail iwth unencoded 8-bit characters? If the
    servers doesn't, does TB automatically encode the mail (qith QP
    or Base64)?

    Regards
    /Jonas
    --