Compose Window Shuts Down - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Compose Window Shuts Down - Mozilla ; Using TB 1.5.0.9. Frequently, while composing a response to an email, I lose the "Compose" window while I am still typing. It usually occurs after I have been typing for a little while. The window just shuts off and all ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Compose Window Shuts Down

  1. Compose Window Shuts Down

    Using TB 1.5.0.9. Frequently, while composing a response to an email, I
    lose the "Compose" window while I am still typing. It usually occurs
    after I have been typing for a little while. The window just shuts off
    and all work is lost.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

  2. Re: Compose Window Shuts Down

    Mortman wrote on 21/01/2007 14:21 +0100:
    > Using TB 1.5.0.9. Frequently, while composing a response to an email, I
    > lose the "Compose" window while I am still typing. It usually occurs
    > after I have been typing for a little while. The window just shuts off
    > and all work is lost.
    > Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.


    Have you got autosave on? If you have I find if it tries to autosave
    while you are typing it highlights all text in the compose window, the
    next keystoke replaces the highlighted text and then the focus shifts.
    When you get back to the compose window all your text except the
    last keystroke is gone.

    --
    Tony

    "...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
    wildly inaccurate..."
    Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

  3. Re: Compose Window Shuts Down

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > Mortman wrote on 21/01/2007 14:21 +0100:
    >> Using TB 1.5.0.9. Frequently, while composing a response to an email, I
    >> lose the "Compose" window while I am still typing. It usually occurs
    >> after I have been typing for a little while. The window just shuts off
    >> and all work is lost.
    >> Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

    >
    > Have you got autosave on? If you have I find if it tries to autosave
    > while you are typing it highlights all text in the compose window, the
    > next keystoke replaces the highlighted text and then the focus shifts.
    > When you get back to the compose window all your text except the
    > last keystroke is gone.
    >

    Autosave is not turned on. Reopening the compose window does NOT replace
    any of the text.

  4. Re: Compose Window Shuts Down

    Mortman wrote:
    > Using TB 1.5.0.9. Frequently, while composing a response to an email,
    > I lose the "Compose" window while I am still typing. It usually
    > occurs after I have been typing for a little while. The window just
    > shuts off and all work is lost. Any help would be appreciated. Thank
    > you.

    start TB in safe mode ( start > programs > Thunderbird [no extension ] )
    , don't reset any thing , and check whether you are getting same problem.

  5. Re: Compose Window Shuts Down

    Nir wrote:
    > Mortman wrote:
    >> Using TB 1.5.0.9. Frequently, while composing a response to an
    >> email, I lose the "Compose" window while I am still typing. It
    >> usually occurs after I have been typing for a little while. The
    >> window just shuts off and all work is lost. Any help would be
    >> appreciated. Thank you.

    > start TB in safe mode ( start > programs > Thunderbird [no extension
    > ] ) , don't reset any thing , and check whether you are getting same
    > problem.

    and before trying to open TB in safe mode , close running Thunderbird
    process ( if any )

  6. Re: Compose Window Shuts Down

    On 21/01/2007 15:21, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Mortman to
    generate the following:? :
    > Using TB 1.5.0.9. Frequently, while composing a response to an email, I
    > lose the "Compose" window while I am still typing. It usually occurs
    > after I have been typing for a little while. The window just shuts off
    > and all work is lost.
    > Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
    >


    did you look in either Drafts or Unsent messages, to see if they are
    pushed there?? Also check your "sent" folder, to see if TB is sending
    the mail "automagically"

    You may have to watch how you type, as well! Hitting the Ctrl key
    (instead of the Shift) and then the Q (for Quit or Exit) would show the
    effect you are experiencing, but that combination seems rather unlikely
    to me!

    reg



  7. Re: Compose Window Shuts Down

    squaredancer wrote:
    > On 21/01/2007 15:21, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Mortman to
    > generate the following:? :
    >> Using TB 1.5.0.9. Frequently, while composing a response to an email, I
    >> lose the "Compose" window while I am still typing. It usually occurs
    >> after I have been typing for a little while. The window just shuts off
    >> and all work is lost.
    >> Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
    >>

    >
    > did you look in either Drafts or Unsent messages, to see if they are
    > pushed there?? Also check your "sent" folder, to see if TB is sending
    > the mail "automagically"
    >
    > You may have to watch how you type, as well! Hitting the Ctrl key
    > (instead of the Shift) and then the Q (for Quit or Exit) would show the
    > effect you are experiencing, but that combination seems rather unlikely
    > to me!
    >
    > reg
    >
    >

    The message does not appear in any of the other folders. However, I
    noticed that if I go to the Task Manager, I see the Compose window
    listed. If I click the "Switch To" button, the window reappears with the
    message intact. This is the only way I was able to retrieve the message.

    Any thoughts??

  8. Re: Compose Window Shuts Down

    On 1/21/2007 1:26 PM, Mortman wrote:
    > squaredancer wrote:
    >> On 21/01/2007 15:21, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Mortman to
    >> generate the following:? :
    >>> Using TB 1.5.0.9. Frequently, while composing a response to an email,
    >>> I lose the "Compose" window while I am still typing. It usually
    >>> occurs after I have been typing for a little while. The window just
    >>> shuts off and all work is lost.
    >>> Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
    >>>

    >>
    >> did you look in either Drafts or Unsent messages, to see if they are
    >> pushed there?? Also check your "sent" folder, to see if TB is sending
    >> the mail "automagically"
    >>
    >> You may have to watch how you type, as well! Hitting the Ctrl key
    >> (instead of the Shift) and then the Q (for Quit or Exit) would show
    >> the effect you are experiencing, but that combination seems rather
    >> unlikely to me!
    >>
    >> reg
    >>
    >>

    > The message does not appear in any of the other folders. However, I
    > noticed that if I go to the Task Manager, I see the Compose window
    > listed. If I click the "Switch To" button, the window reappears with the
    > message intact. This is the only way I was able to retrieve the message.
    >
    > Any thoughts??


    sounds like it was somehow minimized. when it happens again, see if it
    is minimized in the task bar.

    --
    Irwin

    Please do not use my email address to make requests for help.

    Knowledge Base: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Main_Page

  9. Re: Compose Window Shuts Down

    Irwin Greenwald wrote:
    > On 1/21/2007 1:26 PM, Mortman wrote:
    >> squaredancer wrote:
    >>> On 21/01/2007 15:21, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Mortman to
    >>> generate the following:? :
    >>>> Using TB 1.5.0.9. Frequently, while composing a response to an email,
    >>>> I lose the "Compose" window while I am still typing. It usually
    >>>> occurs after I have been typing for a little while. The window just
    >>>> shuts off and all work is lost.
    >>>> Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> did you look in either Drafts or Unsent messages, to see if they are
    >>> pushed there?? Also check your "sent" folder, to see if TB is sending
    >>> the mail "automagically"
    >>>
    >>> You may have to watch how you type, as well! Hitting the Ctrl key
    >>> (instead of the Shift) and then the Q (for Quit or Exit) would show
    >>> the effect you are experiencing, but that combination seems rather
    >>> unlikely to me!
    >>>
    >>> reg
    >>>
    >>>

    >> The message does not appear in any of the other folders. However, I
    >> noticed that if I go to the Task Manager, I see the Compose window
    >> listed. If I click the "Switch To" button, the window reappears with the
    >> message intact. This is the only way I was able to retrieve the message.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts??

    >
    > sounds like it was somehow minimized. when it happens again, see if it
    > is minimized in the task bar.
    >

    It isn't. It just vanished completely. The only place it appeared was in
    the Windows Task Manager. There's a gremlin in there somewhere. Has
    anyone else reported this problem?
    BTW When opening the Compose window again, the message went through as
    it should. Meanwhile the original posting remained hidden in Task
    Manager as I mentioned.

  10. Re: Compose Window Shuts Down

    On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 09:21:38 -0500, Mortman wrote:

    > Using TB 1.5.0.9. Frequently, while composing a response to an email, I
    > lose the "Compose" window while I am still typing. It usually occurs
    > after I have been typing for a little while. The window just shuts off
    > and all work is lost.
    > Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.


    Is it possible you have hit contl+s instead of shift s for a capitol and
    sent the message? Or contl+enter.

    --
    Frank Tabor
    There are bugs and then there are bugs. And then there are bugs.
    -- Karl Lehenbauer

  11. Re: Compose Window Shuts Down

    Frank Tabor wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 09:21:38 -0500, Mortman wrote:
    >
    >> Using TB 1.5.0.9. Frequently, while composing a response to an email, I
    >> lose the "Compose" window while I am still typing. It usually occurs
    >> after I have been typing for a little while. The window just shuts off
    >> and all work is lost.
    >> Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

    >
    > Is it possible you have hit contl+s instead of shift s for a capitol and
    > sent the message? Or contl+enter.
    >

    I really doubt it since it has happened a few times, but anything is
    possible. If it happens again, I'll try to note what keys were hit.

+ Reply to Thread