Sorting Newsgroups? - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Sorting Newsgroups? - Mozilla ; Is there anyway to arrange newsgroups? I have "alt", "uk", "rec" and "sci" groups. But I want to sort by subject not title. The only way I have found is to subscribe in the order I want them to appear....

  1. Sorting Newsgroups?

    Is there anyway to arrange newsgroups? I have "alt", "uk", "rec" and
    "sci" groups. But I want to sort by subject not title. The only way I
    have found is to subscribe in the order I want them to appear.

  2. Re: Sorting Newsgroups?

    Speedskater wrote:
    > Is there anyway to arrange newsgroups? I have "alt", "uk", "rec" and
    > "sci" groups. But I want to sort by subject not title. The only way
    > I have found is to subscribe in the order I want them to appear.

    if they are under same Server then :
    completely close TB
    goto Tb profile folder
    ["http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Thunderbird"]
    back up newsrc file for that newsgroup account
    open that newsrc file in word editor
    arrange lines within that files in desired way .

    if they are on different news server or account then you may use this
    extension "Folderpane Tools" : "https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/258/"

  3. Re: Sorting Newsgroups?

    Speedskater wrote:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> Speedskater wrote:
    >>> Is there anyway to arrange newsgroups? I have "alt", "uk", "rec"
    >>> and "sci" groups. But I want to sort by subject not title. The
    >>> only way I have found is to subscribe in the order I want them to
    >>> appear.

    >> if they are under same Server then : completely close TB goto Tb
    >> profile folder ["http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Thunderbird"]
    >> back up newsrc file for that newsgroup account open that newsrc
    >> file in word editor arrange lines within that files in desired way
    >> .
    >>
    >> if they are on different news server or account then you may use
    >> this extension "Folderpane Tools" :
    >> "https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/258/"
    >>

    > Thanks much. Editing news.east.cox.net.rc did the trick. I couldn't
    > get "Folderpane Tools" to download. The downloader said this is not a
    > Foxfire add-on.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Kevin

    right click on download link , select 'Save link as' to download .xpi file
    now in TB , goto Tools>extensions>Install>that .xpi file

  4. Re: Sorting Newsgroups?

    Nir wrote:
    > Speedskater wrote:
    >> Nir wrote:
    >>>
    >>> if they are under same Server then : completely close TB goto Tb
    >>> profile folder ["http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile#Thunderbird"] back
    >>> up newsrc file for that newsgroup account open that newsrc
    >>> file in word editor arrange lines within that files in desired way
    >>> .
    >>>
    >>> if they are on different news server or account then you may use
    >>> this extension "Folderpane Tools" :
    >>> "https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/258/"
    >>>

    >> Thanks much. Editing news.east.cox.net.rc did the trick. I couldn't
    >> get "Folderpane Tools" to download. The downloader said this is not a
    >> Foxfire add-on.
    >>
    >> Thanks again,
    >>
    >> Kevin

    > right click on download link , select 'Save link as' to download .xpi file
    > now in TB , goto Tools>extensions>Install>that .xpi file

    Where do I save it?

    Thunderbird
    Profiles
    xxxxxxx.dfault
    extensions
    {yyyyyyy}
    chrome

    I tried a few, but Tools didn't find any.

  5. Re: Sorting Newsgroups?

    On 21/01/2007 14:21, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused Speedskater to
    generate the following:? :
    > Nir wrote:
    >
    >> Speedskater wrote:

    >>> Thanks much. Editing news.east.cox.net.rc did the trick. I couldn't
    >>> get "Folderpane Tools" to download. The downloader said this is not a
    >>> Foxfire add-on.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again,
    >>>
    >>> Kevin
    >>>

    >> right click on download link , select 'Save link as' to download .xpi file
    >> now in TB , goto Tools>extensions>Install>that .xpi file
    >>

    > Where do I save it?
    >
    > Thunderbird
    > Profiles
    > xxxxxxx.dfault
    > extensions
    > {yyyyyyy}
    > chrome
    >
    > I tried a few, but Tools didn't find any.

    I created a folder (directory) in the TB installation location - called
    it "extensions" and d/l all the extension and theme files to that
    folder. You can then find them easily enough to install whatever!

    reg

  6. Re: Sorting Newsgroups?

    _Speedskater_ spoke thusly on 21/01/2007 8:21 AM:
    > Nir wrote:
    >> Speedskater wrote:
    >>> Thanks much. Editing news.east.cox.net.rc did the trick. I couldn't
    >>> get "Folderpane Tools" to download. The downloader said this is not a
    >>> Foxfire add-on.

    >> right click on download link , select 'Save link as' to download .xpi
    >> file
    >> now in TB , goto Tools>extensions>Install>that .xpi file

    > Where do I save it?

    Save the XPI wherever you want. When you use the Install button, in the
    Thunderbird Extension Manager, you aren't going to be asked where to
    install it. Thunderbird will take care of that part.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator