Firefox won't launch Thunderbird - launches ForteAgent - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Firefox won't launch Thunderbird - launches ForteAgent - Mozilla ; I just installed Thunderbird, but Firefox won't launch it. I type news: and ForteAgent is launched. I've been through all the options menus, and I don't see a relevant setting in Firefox (v.1.5). When I installed Thunderbird, it asked if ...

  1. Firefox won't launch Thunderbird - launches ForteAgent

    I just installed Thunderbird, but Firefox won't launch it. I type news:
    and ForteAgent is launched. I've been through all the options menus,
    and I don't see a relevant setting in Firefox (v.1.5). When I installed
    Thunderbird, it asked if I wanted it to be my default mail/news
    program, and I selected yes.

  2. Re: Firefox won't launch Thunderbird - launches ForteAgent

    karen.f@mailinator.com wrote:
    > I just installed Thunderbird, but Firefox won't launch it. I type
    > news: and ForteAgent is launched. I've been through all the options
    > menus, and I don't see a relevant setting in Firefox (v.1.5). When I
    > installed Thunderbird, it asked if I wanted it to be my default
    > mail/news program, and I selected yes.

    you should make TB as default mail/news client :
    "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_mail_client#Windows"
    "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_news_reader"

  3. Re: Firefox won't launch Thunderbird - launches ForteAgent

    On 1/19/2007 12:34 PM, karen.f@mailinator.com wrote:
    > I just installed Thunderbird, but Firefox won't launch it. I type news:
    > and ForteAgent is launched. I've been through all the options menus,
    > and I don't see a relevant setting in Firefox (v.1.5). When I installed
    > Thunderbird, it asked if I wanted it to be my default mail/news
    > program, and I selected yes.

    The button to launch your email program was removed in Firefox 2. The
    "Get Mail" extension will put it back.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3591/

    Dave Pyles

  4. Re: Firefox won't launch Thunderbird - launches ForteAgent

    On 1/19/2007 12:34 PM, karen.f@mailinator.com wrote:
    > I just installed Thunderbird, but Firefox won't launch it. I type news:
    > and ForteAgent is launched. I've been through all the options menus,
    > and I don't see a relevant setting in Firefox (v.1.5). When I installed
    > Thunderbird, it asked if I wanted it to be my default mail/news
    > program, and I selected yes.

    The button to launch your email program was removed in Firefox 2. The
    "Get Mail" extension will put it back.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3591/

    Dave Pyles

  5. Re: Firefox won't launch Thunderbird - launches ForteAgent

    David Pyles wrote:
    > On 1/19/2007 12:34 PM, karen.f@mailinator.com wrote:
    >> I just installed Thunderbird, but Firefox won't launch it. I type news:
    >> and ForteAgent is launched. I've been through all the options menus,
    >> and I don't see a relevant setting in Firefox (v.1.5). When I installed
    >> Thunderbird, it asked if I wanted it to be my default mail/news
    >> program, and I selected yes.
    >>

    > The button to launch your email program was removed in Firefox 2. The
    > "Get Mail" extension will put it back.
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3591/
    >
    > Dave Pyles

    Did you check if in IE options (Programs Tab) Thunderbird is your
    default news reader?

    Paolo Santori

  6. Re: Firefox won't launch Thunderbird - launches ForteAgent

    David Pyles wrote:
    > On 1/19/2007 12:34 PM, karen.f@mailinator.com wrote:
    >> I just installed Thunderbird, but Firefox won't launch it. I type news:
    >> and ForteAgent is launched. I've been through all the options menus,
    >> and I don't see a relevant setting in Firefox (v.1.5). When I installed
    >> Thunderbird, it asked if I wanted it to be my default mail/news
    >> program, and I selected yes.
    >>

    > The button to launch your email program was removed in Firefox 2. The
    > "Get Mail" extension will put it back.
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3591/
    >
    > Dave Pyles

    Did you check if in IE options (Programs Tab) Thunderbird is your
    default news reader?

    Paolo Santori

  7. Re: Firefox won't launch Thunderbird - launches ForteAgent

    David Pyles wrote:
    > On 1/19/2007 12:34 PM, karen.f@mailinator.com wrote:
    > > I just installed Thunderbird, but Firefox won't launch it. I type news:
    > > and ForteAgent is launched. I've been through all the options menus,
    > > and I don't see a relevant setting in Firefox (v.1.5). When I installed
    > > Thunderbird, it asked if I wanted it to be my default mail/news
    > > program, and I selected yes.
    > >

    > The button to launch your email program was removed in Firefox 2. The
    > "Get Mail" extension will put it back.
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3591/
    >
    > Dave Pyles

    I have Firefox 1.5, and I don't see an email 'button.' You say it was
    removed in v.2.

  8. Re: Firefox won't launch Thunderbird - launches ForteAgent

    David Pyles wrote:
    > On 1/19/2007 12:34 PM, karen.f@mailinator.com wrote:
    > > I just installed Thunderbird, but Firefox won't launch it. I type news:
    > > and ForteAgent is launched. I've been through all the options menus,
    > > and I don't see a relevant setting in Firefox (v.1.5). When I installed
    > > Thunderbird, it asked if I wanted it to be my default mail/news
    > > program, and I selected yes.
    > >

    > The button to launch your email program was removed in Firefox 2. The
    > "Get Mail" extension will put it back.
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3591/
    >
    > Dave Pyles

    I have Firefox 1.5, and I don't see an email 'button.' You say it was
    removed in v.2.

  9. Re: Firefox won't launch Thunderbird - launches ForteAgent

    karen.f@mailinator.com wrote:
    > David Pyles wrote:
    >> On 1/19/2007 12:34 PM, karen.f@mailinator.com wrote:
    >>> I just installed Thunderbird, but Firefox won't launch it. I type news:
    >>> and ForteAgent is launched. I've been through all the options menus,
    >>> and I don't see a relevant setting in Firefox (v.1.5). When I installed
    >>> Thunderbird, it asked if I wanted it to be my default mail/news
    >>> program, and I selected yes.
    >>>

    >> The button to launch your email program was removed in Firefox 2. The
    >> "Get Mail" extension will put it back.
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3591/
    >>
    >> Dave Pyles

    > I have Firefox 1.5, and I don't see an email 'button.' You say it was
    > removed in v.2.

    right click on Toolbar > Customize

  10. Re: Firefox won't launch Thunderbird - launches ForteAgent

    karen.f@mailinator.com wrote:
    > David Pyles wrote:
    >> On 1/19/2007 12:34 PM, karen.f@mailinator.com wrote:
    >>> I just installed Thunderbird, but Firefox won't launch it. I type news:
    >>> and ForteAgent is launched. I've been through all the options menus,
    >>> and I don't see a relevant setting in Firefox (v.1.5). When I installed
    >>> Thunderbird, it asked if I wanted it to be my default mail/news
    >>> program, and I selected yes.
    >>>

    >> The button to launch your email program was removed in Firefox 2. The
    >> "Get Mail" extension will put it back.
    >> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3591/
    >>
    >> Dave Pyles

    > I have Firefox 1.5, and I don't see an email 'button.' You say it was
    > removed in v.2.

    right click on Toolbar > Customize

  11. Re: Firefox won't launch Thunderbird - launches ForteAgent

    sap599 wrote:
    > David Pyles wrote:
    > > On 1/19/2007 12:34 PM, karen.f@mailinator.com wrote:
    > >> I just installed Thunderbird, but Firefox won't launch it. I type news:
    > >> and ForteAgent is launched. I've been through all the options menus,
    > >> and I don't see a relevant setting in Firefox (v.1.5). When I installed
    > >> Thunderbird, it asked if I wanted it to be my default mail/news
    > >> program, and I selected yes.
    > >>

    > > The button to launch your email program was removed in Firefox 2. The
    > > "Get Mail" extension will put it back.
    > > https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3591/
    > >
    > > Dave Pyles

    > Did you check if in IE options (Programs Tab) Thunderbird is your
    > default news reader?
    >
    > Paolo Santori

    I don't use IE. I checked the options. Thunderbird was set for e-mail,
    and Outlook Express for news. I changed that to Thunderbird. Now
    Firefox launches Thunderbird. Can you explain why I need to have IE
    installed (I'd like to remove it) for Firefox to fuction? --Or is there
    another way (Windows XP Pro) to change that setting? In any event,
    Thunderbird didn't properly make itself the default program.

  12. Re: Firefox won't launch Thunderbird - launches ForteAgent

    sap599 wrote:
    > David Pyles wrote:
    > > On 1/19/2007 12:34 PM, karen.f@mailinator.com wrote:
    > >> I just installed Thunderbird, but Firefox won't launch it. I type news:
    > >> and ForteAgent is launched. I've been through all the options menus,
    > >> and I don't see a relevant setting in Firefox (v.1.5). When I installed
    > >> Thunderbird, it asked if I wanted it to be my default mail/news
    > >> program, and I selected yes.
    > >>

    > > The button to launch your email program was removed in Firefox 2. The
    > > "Get Mail" extension will put it back.
    > > https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3591/
    > >
    > > Dave Pyles

    > Did you check if in IE options (Programs Tab) Thunderbird is your
    > default news reader?
    >
    > Paolo Santori

    I don't use IE. I checked the options. Thunderbird was set for e-mail,
    and Outlook Express for news. I changed that to Thunderbird. Now
    Firefox launches Thunderbird. Can you explain why I need to have IE
    installed (I'd like to remove it) for Firefox to fuction? --Or is there
    another way (Windows XP Pro) to change that setting? In any event,
    Thunderbird didn't properly make itself the default program.

  13. Re: Firefox won't launch Thunderbird - launches ForteAgent

    karen.f@mailinator.com wrote:
    > sap599 wrote:
    >> David Pyles wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> The button to launch your email program was removed in Firefox 2. The
    >>> "Get Mail" extension will put it back.
    >>> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3591/
    >>>
    >>> Dave Pyles

    >> Did you check if in IE options (Programs Tab) Thunderbird is your
    >> default news reader?
    >>
    >> Paolo Santori

    > I don't use IE. I checked the options. Thunderbird was set for e-mail,
    > and Outlook Express for news. I changed that to Thunderbird. Now
    > Firefox launches Thunderbird. Can you explain why I need to have IE
    > installed (I'd like to remove it) for Firefox to fuction? --Or is there
    > another way (Windows XP Pro) to change that setting? In any event,
    > Thunderbird didn't properly make itself the default program.

    Unfortunately IE is so tightly coupled to Windows (and vice-versa) that
    you can't remove it, and it is always involved in questions like
    programs associations to mime types, document types, protocols, and so on.
    It's all Bill's fault....sorry.

  14. Re: Firefox won't launch Thunderbird - launches ForteAgent

    karen.f@mailinator.com wrote:
    > sap599 wrote:
    >> David Pyles wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> The button to launch your email program was removed in Firefox 2. The
    >>> "Get Mail" extension will put it back.
    >>> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3591/
    >>>
    >>> Dave Pyles

    >> Did you check if in IE options (Programs Tab) Thunderbird is your
    >> default news reader?
    >>
    >> Paolo Santori

    > I don't use IE. I checked the options. Thunderbird was set for e-mail,
    > and Outlook Express for news. I changed that to Thunderbird. Now
    > Firefox launches Thunderbird. Can you explain why I need to have IE
    > installed (I'd like to remove it) for Firefox to fuction? --Or is there
    > another way (Windows XP Pro) to change that setting? In any event,
    > Thunderbird didn't properly make itself the default program.

    Unfortunately IE is so tightly coupled to Windows (and vice-versa) that
    you can't remove it, and it is always involved in questions like
    programs associations to mime types, document types, protocols, and so on.
    It's all Bill's fault....sorry.

  15. Re: Firefox won't launch Thunderbird - launches ForteAgent

    On 1/19/2007 11:58 AM Pacific Time, karen.f@mailinator.com wrote thusly:
    > sap599 wrote:
    >> David Pyles wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> The button to launch your email program was removed in Firefox 2. The
    >>> "Get Mail" extension will put it back.
    >>> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3591/
    >>>
    >>> Dave Pyles

    >> Did you check if in IE options (Programs Tab) Thunderbird is your
    >> default news reader?
    >>
    >> Paolo Santori

    > I don't use IE. I checked the options. Thunderbird was set for e-mail,
    > and Outlook Express for news. I changed that to Thunderbird. Now
    > Firefox launches Thunderbird. Can you explain why I need to have IE
    > installed (I'd like to remove it) for Firefox to fuction? --Or is there
    > another way (Windows XP Pro) to change that setting? In any event,
    > Thunderbird didn't properly make itself the default program.

    Karen,
    You need IE for certain Windows XP system functions, such as Windows
    Update. There was a bug for some folks (me being one of them) where TB
    would not set itself to be the default. I found a little free program
    called DefaultMail that forces the settings.

    Barbara

  16. Re: Firefox won't launch Thunderbird - launches ForteAgent

    On 1/19/2007 11:58 AM Pacific Time, karen.f@mailinator.com wrote thusly:
    > sap599 wrote:
    >> David Pyles wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> The button to launch your email program was removed in Firefox 2. The
    >>> "Get Mail" extension will put it back.
    >>> https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3591/
    >>>
    >>> Dave Pyles

    >> Did you check if in IE options (Programs Tab) Thunderbird is your
    >> default news reader?
    >>
    >> Paolo Santori

    > I don't use IE. I checked the options. Thunderbird was set for e-mail,
    > and Outlook Express for news. I changed that to Thunderbird. Now
    > Firefox launches Thunderbird. Can you explain why I need to have IE
    > installed (I'd like to remove it) for Firefox to fuction? --Or is there
    > another way (Windows XP Pro) to change that setting? In any event,
    > Thunderbird didn't properly make itself the default program.

    Karen,
    You need IE for certain Windows XP system functions, such as Windows
    Update. There was a bug for some folks (me being one of them) where TB
    would not set itself to be the default. I found a little free program
    called DefaultMail that forces the settings.

    Barbara

  17. Re: Firefox won't launch Thunderbird - launches ForteAgent

    _David Pyles_ spoke thusly on 19/01/2007 12:55 PM:
    > On 1/19/2007 12:34 PM, karen.f@mailinator.com wrote:
    >> I just installed Thunderbird, but Firefox won't launch it. I type news:
    >> and ForteAgent is launched. I've been through all the options menus,
    >> and I don't see a relevant setting in Firefox (v.1.5). When I installed
    >> Thunderbird, it asked if I wanted it to be my default mail/news
    >> program, and I selected yes.
    >>

    > The button to launch your email program was removed in Firefox 2. The
    > "Get Mail" extension will put it back.
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3591/

    What the OP is asking has nothing to do with the Mail button, or even
    email. The problem is that Thunderbird isn't taking over as OS default
    for news: URLs.

    Followup set to mozilla.support.thunderbird.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  18. Re: Firefox won't launch Thunderbird - launches ForteAgent

    _David Pyles_ spoke thusly on 19/01/2007 12:55 PM:
    > On 1/19/2007 12:34 PM, karen.f@mailinator.com wrote:
    >> I just installed Thunderbird, but Firefox won't launch it. I type news:
    >> and ForteAgent is launched. I've been through all the options menus,
    >> and I don't see a relevant setting in Firefox (v.1.5). When I installed
    >> Thunderbird, it asked if I wanted it to be my default mail/news
    >> program, and I selected yes.
    >>

    > The button to launch your email program was removed in Firefox 2. The
    > "Get Mail" extension will put it back.
    > https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3591/

    What the OP is asking has nothing to do with the Mail button, or even
    email. The problem is that Thunderbird isn't taking over as OS default
    for news: URLs.

    Followup set to mozilla.support.thunderbird.
    --
    Chris Ilias
    mozilla.test.multimedia moderator

  19. Re: Firefox won't launch Thunderbird - launches ForteAgent

    On 19 Jan 2007 09:34:03 -0800, in message <1169228042.875451.126110@38g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    karen.f@mailinator.com wrote:

    > I just installed Thunderbird, but Firefox won't launch it. I type news:
    > and ForteAgent is launched. I've been through all the options menus,
    > and I don't see a relevant setting in Firefox (v.1.5). When I installed
    > Thunderbird, it asked if I wanted it to be my default mail/news
    > program, and I selected yes.

    Have you told ForteAgent to _not_ be your default main/news program?
    If not, it might be taking this association back off Thunderbird.

    [versions 1.x] Options -> General Preferences -> URLs
    [version 2.0] Options -> General Preferences -> URL and MIME Settings -> URLs
    [versions 3.0-4.1] Tools -> Options -> URL and MIME Settings -> URLs

    Un-check the options inside the box labelled "Make Agent the web browser service for".

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

  20. Re: Firefox won't launch Thunderbird - launches ForteAgent

    On 19 Jan 2007 09:34:03 -0800, in message <1169228042.875451.126110@38g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>,
    karen.f@mailinator.com wrote:

    > I just installed Thunderbird, but Firefox won't launch it. I type news:
    > and ForteAgent is launched. I've been through all the options menus,
    > and I don't see a relevant setting in Firefox (v.1.5). When I installed
    > Thunderbird, it asked if I wanted it to be my default mail/news
    > program, and I selected yes.

    Have you told ForteAgent to _not_ be your default main/news program?
    If not, it might be taking this association back off Thunderbird.

    [versions 1.x] Options -> General Preferences -> URLs
    [version 2.0] Options -> General Preferences -> URL and MIME Settings -> URLs
    [versions 3.0-4.1] Tools -> Options -> URL and MIME Settings -> URLs

    Un-check the options inside the box labelled "Make Agent the web browser service for".

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

+ Reply to Thread