Another Little Gotcha with TB - Mozilla

This is a discussion on Another Little Gotcha with TB - Mozilla ; Hi People I am really trying hard to persevere with TB but this is another little gotcha that is pushing me back to the M$ Outlook camp. I want to send an email to a large group of people so ...

  1. Another Little Gotcha with TB

    Hi People

    I am really trying hard to persevere with TB but this is another little
    gotcha that is pushing me back to the M$ Outlook camp.

    I want to send an email to a large group of people so I created a list
    of them.

    I can write to the list from the Address book with everyone on To: lines
    but BUT I cannot either write to the list as a Bcc: or drag the LIST to
    a BCC line!!

    When I drag the list to a Bcc: line TB just puts the name of the list
    into the Bcc: line not the actual contents of the list!

    I really appreciate the efforts put in by all the dedicated people who
    are trying to break the M$ monopoly but this is such a basic thing to
    want to do: drag an address list to a Bcc: line that its omission makes
    me seriously question TBs usefulness.

    Does anyone have any possible solutions that allow me to send an email
    to a list with the recipients on the Bcc line without having to drag
    them one by one?

    regards

    jon

  2. Re: Another Little Gotcha with TB

    On 1/18/2007 3:57 PM eastern, Jon Jenkins wrote:

    > When I drag the list to a Bcc: line TB just puts the name of the list
    > into the Bcc: line not the actual contents of the list!

    True, but it actually SENDS to the folk on the list. Assuming you didn't
    put anyone in the To field, each person on the list will see From you To
    undisclosed-recipients. You will see the entire bcc list in your sent
    folder. Try it with two of your own addresses in a list to see (as I do).
    CTinFL

  3. Re: Another Little Gotcha with TB

    On 2007-01-18 13:57 (-0700 UTC), Jon Jenkins wrote:

    > Hi People
    >
    > I am really trying hard to persevere with TB but this is another little
    > gotcha that is pushing me back to the M$ Outlook camp.
    >
    > I want to send an email to a large group of people so I created a list
    > of them.
    >
    > I can write to the list from the Address book with everyone on To: lines
    > but BUT I cannot either write to the list as a Bcc: or drag the LIST to
    > a BCC line!!
    >
    > When I drag the list to a Bcc: line TB just puts the name of the list
    > into the Bcc: line not the actual contents of the list!

    That would be correct behaviour: when the e-mail is sent, it's then sent to
    all the recipients in the list, without each recipient knowing who all the
    others are.

    /b.

    --
    People are stupid. /A/ person may be smart, but /people/ are stupid.
    --Stephen M. Graham

  4. Re: Another Little Gotcha with TB

    Jon Jenkins produced the following on 1/18/2007 3:57 PM:
    > Hi People
    >
    > I am really trying hard to persevere with TB but this is another
    > little gotcha that is pushing me back to the M$ Outlook camp.
    >
    > I want to send an email to a large group of people so I created a
    > list of them.
    >
    > I can write to the list from the Address book with everyone on To:
    > lines but BUT I cannot either write to the list as a Bcc: or drag the
    > LIST to a BCC line!!
    >
    > When I drag the list to a Bcc: line TB just puts the name of the list
    > into the Bcc: line not the actual contents of the list!

    OK. Now, just write the message and click "Send". TB will expand the
    list name into all of the individual addresses.

    > I really appreciate the efforts put in by all the dedicated people
    > who are trying to break the M$ monopoly but this is such a basic
    > thing to want to do: drag an address list to a Bcc: line that its
    > omission makes me seriously question TBs usefulness.

    Before you make baseless allegations, you might want to create a test
    list and send an email to it. Just because it doesn't appear the way you
    think it should appear, that doesn't mean that it's not going to work
    the way you want. :-)

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a
    question remains a fool forever.
    - Chinese Proverb

  5. Re: Another Little Gotcha with TB

    On 1/18/2007 7:37 PM eastern, Pete Holsberg wrote:

    > Before you make baseless allegations, you might want to create a test
    > list and send an email to it. Just because it doesn't appear the way you
    > think it should appear, that doesn't mean that it's not going to work
    > the way you want. :-)

    Gosh, Pete, the OP was polite and got TWO answers to his question LONG
    before you posted. Couldn't you cut him some slack (or did you have one
    of those days )?
    CTinFL

  6. Re: Another Little Gotcha with TB

    Cal Tinson produced the following on 1/18/2007 7:53 PM:
    > On 1/18/2007 7:37 PM eastern, Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >
    > > Before you make baseless allegations, you might want to create a
    > > test list and send an email to it. Just because it doesn't appear
    > > the way you think it should appear, that doesn't mean that it's not
    > > going to work the way you want. :-)

    > Gosh, Pete, the OP was polite and got TWO answers to his question
    > LONG before you posted. Couldn't you cut him some slack (or did you
    > have one of those days )?

    I look at messages in chronological order, so I answer the question
    before I see other answers.

    Of course, I feel that my answer was the best of the three. ;-)

    Slack? Why don't you cut me some? ;-)

    --
    Pete Holsberg
    Columbus, NJ

    There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with
    chocolate...
    --Charles Dickens

  7. Re: Another Little Gotcha with TB

    Jon Jenkins wrote:
    > Hi People
    >
    > I am really trying hard to persevere with TB but this is another little
    > gotcha that is pushing me back to the M$ Outlook camp.
    >
    > I want to send an email to a large group of people so I created a list
    > of them.
    >
    > I can write to the list from the Address book with everyone on To: lines
    > but BUT I cannot either write to the list as a Bcc: or drag the LIST to
    > a BCC line!!
    >
    > When I drag the list to a Bcc: line TB just puts the name of the list
    > into the Bcc: line not the actual contents of the list!
    >
    > I really appreciate the efforts put in by all the dedicated people who
    > are trying to break the M$ monopoly but this is such a basic thing to
    > want to do: drag an address list to a Bcc: line that its omission makes
    > me seriously question TBs usefulness.
    >
    > Does anyone have any possible solutions that allow me to send an email
    > to a list with the recipients on the Bcc line without having to drag
    > them one by one?
    >
    > regards
    >
    > jon

    Why do you need the list in the adddress box? If you are sending it
    BLIND carbon copy (BCC) you dont want anyone else to see the list at
    all, thats the idea of it.

    Simply type the name of the list into the bcc line. Why would you WANT
    the names of the people on the list in the bcc line? Then everyone
    woould see them!

  8. Re: Another Little Gotcha with TB

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > Cal Tinson produced the following on 1/18/2007 7:53 PM:
    >> On 1/18/2007 7:37 PM eastern, Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >>
    >> > Before you make baseless allegations, you might want to create a
    >> > test list and send an email to it. Just because it doesn't appear
    >> > the way you think it should appear, that doesn't mean that it's not
    >> > going to work the way you want. :-)

    >> Gosh, Pete, the OP was polite and got TWO answers to his question
    >> LONG before you posted. Couldn't you cut him some slack (or did you
    >> have one of those days )?

    > I look at messages in chronological order, so I answer the question
    > before I see other answers.

    Try setting to threaded. Then it's harder to miss posts several hours
    before yours.

    --
    john mcwilliams

    "Um, his vocabulary, like, uh, really, ah....... sucked."

  9. Re: Another Little Gotcha with TB

    Pete Holsberg wrote:
    > Jon Jenkins produced the following on 1/18/2007 3:57 PM:
    >> Hi People
    >>
    >> I am really trying hard to persevere with TB but this is another
    >> little gotcha that is pushing me back to the M$ Outlook camp.
    >>
    >> I want to send an email to a large group of people so I created a
    >> list of them.
    >>
    >> I can write to the list from the Address book with everyone on To:
    >> lines but BUT I cannot either write to the list as a Bcc: or drag the
    >> LIST to a BCC line!!
    >>
    >> When I drag the list to a Bcc: line TB just puts the name of the list
    >> into the Bcc: line not the actual contents of the list!

    > OK. Now, just write the message and click "Send". TB will expand the
    > list name into all of the individual addresses.
    >
    >> I really appreciate the efforts put in by all the dedicated people
    >> who are trying to break the M$ monopoly but this is such a basic
    >> thing to want to do: drag an address list to a Bcc: line that its
    >> omission makes me seriously question TBs usefulness.

    > Before you make baseless allegations, you might want to create a test
    > list and send an email to it. Just because it doesn't appear the way you
    > think it should appear, that doesn't mean that it's not going to work
    > the way you want. :-)

    If you save the E-mail, you can then see the names in the BCC field, one
    per. Good for eliminating one or a handful of folks who shouldn't get
    that particular mail....

    00

    jpmcw

  10. Re: Another Little Gotcha with TB

    Cal Tinson wrote:
    > On 1/18/2007 3:57 PM eastern, Jon Jenkins wrote:
    >
    >> When I drag the list to a Bcc: line TB just puts the name of the list
    >> into the Bcc: line not the actual contents of the list!

    > True, but it actually SENDS to the folk on the list. Assuming you didn't
    > put anyone in the To field, each person on the list will see From you To
    > undisclosed-recipients. You will see the entire bcc list in your sent
    > folder. Try it with two of your own addresses in a list to see (as I do).
    > CTinFL

    just a minor addendum - try to avoid using "undisclosed-recipients" (a
    blank To: line). For most anti-spam scoring systems (including I think
    TB's), this is a relatively high scoring item.

    --

    + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
    Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes

  11. Re: Another Little Gotcha with TB

    On 1/19/2007 10:31 AM eastern, Chris Barnes wrote:
    > Cal Tinson wrote:
    >> On 1/18/2007 3:57 PM eastern, Jon Jenkins wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I drag the list to a Bcc: line TB just puts the name of the list
    >>> into the Bcc: line not the actual contents of the list!

    >> True, but it actually SENDS to the folk on the list. Assuming you didn't
    >> put anyone in the To field, each person on the list will see From you To
    >> undisclosed-recipients. You will see the entire bcc list in your sent
    >> folder. Try it with two of your own addresses in a list to see (as I do).
    >> CTinFL

    > just a minor addendum - try to avoid using "undisclosed-recipients" (a
    > blank To: line). For most anti-spam scoring systems (including I think
    > TB's), this is a relatively high scoring item.

    Many folk use their own addresses in TO instead of leaving it blank. (In
    some e-mail clients, a blank To line is not allowed.)
    CTinFL

  12. Re: Another Little Gotcha with TB

    John McWilliams via TB wrote:
    > Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >> Jon Jenkins produced the following on 1/18/2007 3:57 PM:
    >>> Hi People
    >>>
    >>> I am really trying hard to persevere with TB but this is another
    >>> little gotcha that is pushing me back to the M$ Outlook camp.
    >>>
    >>> I want to send an email to a large group of people so I created a
    >>> list of them.
    >>>
    >>> I can write to the list from the Address book with everyone on To:
    >>> lines but BUT I cannot either write to the list as a Bcc: or drag the
    >>> LIST to a BCC line!!
    >>>
    >>> When I drag the list to a Bcc: line TB just puts the name of the list
    >>> into the Bcc: line not the actual contents of the list!

    >> OK. Now, just write the message and click "Send". TB will expand the
    >> list name into all of the individual addresses.
    >>
    >>> I really appreciate the efforts put in by all the dedicated people
    >>> who are trying to break the M$ monopoly but this is such a basic
    >>> thing to want to do: drag an address list to a Bcc: line that its
    >>> omission makes me seriously question TBs usefulness.

    >> Before you make baseless allegations, you might want to create a test
    >> list and send an email to it. Just because it doesn't appear the way
    >> you think it should appear, that doesn't mean that it's not going to
    >> work the way you want. :-)

    > If you save the E-mail, you can then see the names in the BCC field, one
    > per. Good for eliminating one or a handful of folks who shouldn't get
    > that particular mail....
    >
    > 00
    >
    > jpmcw

    **note** message resent without screen shot attachments!!

    Hi everyone,

    Thanks for your replies.

    When I tried to send the email with the dragged list into the Bcc the
    server returned an error as follows:

    "An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.1.3
    Bad recipient address syntax. Please verify the your email address us
    correct in your Mail preferences and try again."

    To summarise: somehow a list member with a "missing" email address had
    been copied to **EVERY** List I had created. This caused **ALL** lists
    to fail therefore making it appear as tho there was a generic bug in
    list handling.

    So the bug is either:

    a) in the address book creation of lists; no I did not copy this errant
    member to all lists! And in any case I was told earlier that contacts
    without emails should **NOT** not be copied to email lists

    and/or

    b) when the sending code handles list expansion perhaps there could be a
    check for missing addresses.

    thanks to all the people for replying

    regards

    jon

  13. Re: Another Little Gotcha with TB

    On 1/19/2007 12:23 PM Pacific Time, Jon Jenkins wrote thusly:
    > John McWilliams via TB wrote:
    >> Pete Holsberg wrote:
    >>> Jon Jenkins produced the following on 1/18/2007 3:57 PM:

    >>> OK. Now, just write the message and click "Send". TB will expand the
    >>> list name into all of the individual addresses.

    >>> Before you make baseless allegations, you might want to create a test
    >>> list and send an email to it. Just because it doesn't appear the way
    >>> you think it should appear, that doesn't mean that it's not going to
    >>> work the way you want. :-)

    >> If you save the E-mail, you can then see the names in the BCC field,
    >> one per. Good for eliminating one or a handful of folks who shouldn't
    >> get that particular mail....
    >>
    >> 00
    >>
    >> jpmcw
    >>

    > **note** message resent without screen shot attachments!!
    >
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > Thanks for your replies.
    >
    > When I tried to send the email with the dragged list into the Bcc the
    > server returned an error as follows:
    >
    > "An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.1.3
    > Bad recipient address syntax. Please verify the your email address us
    > correct in your Mail preferences and try again."
    >
    > To summarise: somehow a list member with a "missing" email address had
    > been copied to **EVERY** List I had created. This caused **ALL** lists
    > to fail therefore making it appear as tho there was a generic bug in
    > list handling.
    >
    > So the bug is either:
    >
    > a) in the address book creation of lists; no I did not copy this errant
    > member to all lists! And in any case I was told earlier that contacts
    > without emails should **NOT** not be copied to email lists
    >
    > and/or
    >
    > b) when the sending code handles list expansion perhaps there could be a
    > check for missing addresses.
    >
    > thanks to all the people for replying
    >
    > regards
    >
    > jon

    Jon,
    Some ISPs will check your e-mail addresses as you send and if any one
    of them is not valid, it will block the entire message. Others don't do
    that, but the bad ones will bounce back to you so you can clean up you
    list. If you have a large list in the first case, it can be quite
    daunting to find the bad one. Luckily for me, I have 2 different ISPs I
    can use, so when I encounter the first situation, I can switch to my
    other one that lets them send.

    Barbara

+ Reply to Thread