newbie question....add news account - Mozilla

This is a discussion on newbie question....add news account - Mozilla ; I'm finding I don't care for the online news readers I've tried...thought I would give TB a try. MY ISP stopped supporting newsgroups, though, so I'm not sure if I can add a news account to TB. Please help. Thanks!! ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: newbie question....add news account

  1. newbie question....add news account

    I'm finding I don't care for the online news readers I've
    tried...thought I would give TB a try.
    MY ISP stopped supporting newsgroups, though, so I'm not sure if I can
    add a news account to TB.

    Please help.

    Thanks!!

    ....Lisa


  2. Re: newbie question....add news account

    hamiltoncruiser wrote:
    > I'm finding I don't care for the online news readers I've
    > tried...thought I would give TB a try.
    > MY ISP stopped supporting newsgroups, though, so I'm not sure if I can
    > add a news account to TB.



    http://www.teranews.com/

    --
    Jordon

  3. Re: newbie question....add news account

    hamiltoncruiser wrote:
    > I'm finding I don't care for the online news readers I've
    > tried...thought I would give TB a try.
    > MY ISP stopped supporting newsgroups, though, so I'm not sure if I can
    > add a news account to TB.
    >
    > Please help.
    >
    > Thanks!!
    >
    > ...Lisa
    >


    Have you tried - Tools->Account Settings->Add Account->Newsgroup Account.

    In Server Settings - news.mozilla.org - for Mozilla News Server.

    For some other ISP news servers - http://www.usenettools.net/ISP.htm

    You can Google 'News Server' to find others.


    Zak Hipp

  4. Re: newbie question....add news account

    hamiltoncruiser wrote:
    > I'm finding I don't care for the online news readers I've
    > tried...thought I would give TB a try.
    > MY ISP stopped supporting newsgroups, though, so I'm not sure if I can
    > add a news account to TB.
    >
    > Please help.
    >
    > Thanks!!
    >
    > ...Lisa
    >


    If your ISP neither operates a news server nor outsources the
    capability, you will have to subscribe on your own. See
    for a
    list of providers.

    My ISP outsources to Giganews, which also provides its services through
    individual subscriptions. Giganews seems to work quite well with one
    exception. When a new newsgroup is added to its repertoire, it doesn't
    show up in Giganews's list on the Web for quite a while (a month or
    more). This leaves the user thinking the new newsgroup is not yet
    available when it actually is available.

    --

    David E. Ross


    Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
    into your E-mail? Use PGP.
    See my

  5. Re: newbie question....add news account


    Zak Hipp wrote:
    > hamiltoncruiser wrote:
    > > I'm finding I don't care for the online news readers I've
    > > tried...thought I would give TB a try.
    > > MY ISP stopped supporting newsgroups, though, so I'm not sure if I can
    > > add a news account to TB.
    > >
    > > Please help.
    > >
    > > Thanks!!
    > >
    > > ...Lisa
    > >

    >
    > Have you tried - Tools->Account Settings->Add Account->Newsgroup Account.
    >
    > In Server Settings - news.mozilla.org - for Mozilla News Server.
    >
    > For some other ISP news servers - http://www.usenettools.net/ISP.htm
    >
    > You can Google 'News Server' to find others.
    >
    >
    > Zak Hipp


    Thanks Zak....if I use news.mozilla.org, that's just for mozilla
    newsgroups, right? I am very new to this. I'm used to OE where ALL
    NG's that I was interested in were with my ISP's server.

    So now if I want to use TB, I have to find free servers for the
    different NG's I want to subscribe to?

    Are there free servers that offer all NG's?

    ....Lisa


  6. Re: newbie question....add news account


    Jordon wrote:
    > hamiltoncruiser wrote:
    > > I'm finding I don't care for the online news readers I've
    > > tried...thought I would give TB a try.
    > > MY ISP stopped supporting newsgroups, though, so I'm not sure if I can
    > > add a news account to TB.

    >
    >
    > http://www.teranews.com/
    >
    > --
    > Jordon


    Thanks Jordon.

    Does this news server have ALL NG's?
    I was looking for free...but the one time set up is not too bad.

    ....Lisa


  7. Re: newbie question....add news account

    On 15/01/2007 23:11, CET - what odd quirk of fate caused
    hamiltoncruiser to generate the following:? :
    > I'm finding I don't care for the online news readers I've
    > tried...thought I would give TB a try.
    > MY ISP stopped supporting newsgroups, though, so I'm not sure if I can
    > add a news account to TB.
    >
    > Please help.
    >
    > Thanks!!
    >
    > ...Lisa
    >
    >

    If I were you, I would "pepper my ISP's ass" and ask them if - for the
    reduced service, they have ALSO reduced their prices!

    reg

  8. Re: newbie question....add news account

    hamiltoncruiser wrote:
    > Zak Hipp wrote:
    >> hamiltoncruiser wrote:
    >>> I'm finding I don't care for the online news readers I've
    >>> tried...thought I would give TB a try.
    >>> MY ISP stopped supporting newsgroups, though, so I'm not sure if I can
    >>> add a news account to TB.
    >>>
    >>> Please help.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!!
    >>>
    >>> ...Lisa
    >>>

    >> Have you tried - Tools->Account Settings->Add Account->Newsgroup Account.
    >>
    >> In Server Settings - news.mozilla.org - for Mozilla News Server.
    >>
    >> For some other ISP news servers - http://www.usenettools.net/ISP.htm
    >>
    >> You can Google 'News Server' to find others.
    >>
    >>
    >> Zak Hipp

    >
    > Thanks Zak....if I use news.mozilla.org, that's just for mozilla
    > newsgroups, right? I am very new to this. I'm used to OE where ALL
    > NG's that I was interested in were with my ISP's server.
    >
    > So now if I want to use TB, I have to find free servers for the
    > different NG's I want to subscribe to?
    >
    > Are there free servers that offer all NG's?
    >
    > ...Lisa
    >



    This is not my field, I simply find a "news server", enter the details, see if it works, then see if there is anything
    there worth subscribing to. As to the "all NG's" question, I know that there is nothing out there that finds all
    newsgroups, in the same way that there is no search engine that finds all websites. I'm going to say this definitively
    to try to evoke a correction. *There is no 'Google' equivalent for Newsgroups* That's as far as I can go. Sorry I cannot
    help any further but hope one of the "dons" that lurk here is in the mood for giving a lesson.

    Zak Hipp







  9. Re: newbie question....add news account


    Lisa wrote:
    > I'm used to OE where ALL NG's that I was interested in were with my ISP's server.
    >
    > So now if I want to use TB, I have to find free servers for the differentNG's I want to subscribe to?



    Lisa,

    You can continue to use your ISP news server as before. I just set up
    several newsgroups in TB using my ISP address. For example, I use Road
    Runner here at home. My news server, according to Road Runner is
    news-server.YOUR-AREA.rr.com. Whatever server name you had before
    should continue to be the same when you set it up in TBird.

    Also, as Zak, mentioned, you can always use Google. In that case, the
    set up would be done as RSS feeds and blogs, not as newsgroups. Just a
    different protocol, but with the same end result.

    --
    Egídio


  10. Re: newbie question....add news account

    hamiltoncruiser wrote:
    > I'm finding I don't care for the online news readers I've
    > tried...thought I would give TB a try.
    > MY ISP stopped supporting newsgroups, though, so I'm not sure if I can
    > add a news account to TB.
    >
    > Please help.
    >
    > Thanks!!
    >
    > ...Lisa
    >

    Lisa
    You can use news.datemas.de

  11. Re: newbie question....add news account


    Jim wrote:
    > hamiltoncruiser wrote:
    > > I'm finding I don't care for the online news readers I've
    > > tried...thought I would give TB a try.
    > > MY ISP stopped supporting newsgroups, though, so I'm not sure if I can
    > > add a news account to TB.
    > >
    > > Please help.
    > >
    > > Thanks!!
    > >
    > > ...Lisa
    > >

    > Lisa
    > You can use news.datemas.de


    Thanks but I get a "no permission" error message

    ....Lisa


  12. Re: newbie question....add news account

    hamiltoncruiser wrote:
    > Jim wrote:
    >> hamiltoncruiser wrote:
    >>> I'm finding I don't care for the online news readers I've
    >>> tried...thought I would give TB a try.
    >>> MY ISP stopped supporting newsgroups, though, so I'm not sure if I can
    >>> add a news account to TB.
    >>>
    >>> Please help.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!!
    >>>
    >>> ...Lisa
    >>>

    >> Lisa
    >> You can use news.datemas.de

    >
    > Thanks but I get a "no permission" error message
    >
    > ...Lisa
    >

    Lisa

    sorry go to http://news.datemas.de/
    You have to sign up (no charge) & then you will be in business

  13. Re: newbie question....add news account


    Jim wrote:
    > hamiltoncruiser wrote:
    > > Jim wrote:
    > >> hamiltoncruiser wrote:
    > >>> I'm finding I don't care for the online news readers I've
    > >>> tried...thought I would give TB a try.
    > >>> MY ISP stopped supporting newsgroups, though, so I'm not sure if I can
    > >>> add a news account to TB.
    > >>>
    > >>> Please help.
    > >>>
    > >>> Thanks!!
    > >>>
    > >>> ...Lisa
    > >>>
    > >> Lisa
    > >> You can use news.datemas.de

    > >
    > > Thanks but I get a "no permission" error message
    > >
    > > ...Lisa
    > >

    > Lisa
    >
    > sorry go to http://news.datemas.de/
    > You have to sign up (no charge) & then you will be in business


    Thank you!!


+ Reply to Thread