"Show images" opens browser windows - Mozilla

This is a discussion on "Show images" opens browser windows - Mozilla ; Hi, I have Thunderbird configured so that it doesn't show remote images of unknown senders. So far, so good, that works perfectly. However, when I click on "Show images" to show them explicitely for a specific message, Thunderbird opens them ...

  1. "Show images" opens browser windows

    Hi,

    I have Thunderbird configured so that it doesn't show remote images of
    unknown senders. So far, so good, that works perfectly.

    However, when I click on "Show images" to show them explicitely for a
    specific message, Thunderbird opens them with my default browser, and
    doesn't show them in the message!

    (and since it opens each image in a separate window, it is really a pain
    to close all these windows, up to 20!)

    I run Thunderbird version 1.5 (20051025) under MacOS X.

    Any idea what is going wrong?

    Thanks!

    Olivier

  2. Re: "Show images" opens browser windows

    Try this for a fix:
    Open Thunderbird
    Go to Tools>>>>Options>>>>Composition

    Forward messages should read: Inline (Not Attachment)

    Hope this helps you.

    Norm

    "Olivier Croquette" wrote in message
    news:lrWdnZxLXqmYUzbYnZ2dnUVZ_tGsnZ2d@mozilla.org. ..
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have Thunderbird configured so that it doesn't show remote images of
    > unknown senders. So far, so good, that works perfectly.
    >
    > However, when I click on "Show images" to show them explicitely for a
    > specific message, Thunderbird opens them with my default browser, and
    > doesn't show them in the message!
    >
    > (and since it opens each image in a separate window, it is really a pain
    > to close all these windows, up to 20!)
    >
    > I run Thunderbird version 1.5 (20051025) under MacOS X.
    >
    > Any idea what is going wrong?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Olivier

  3. Re: "Show images" opens browser windows

    Olivier Croquette wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have Thunderbird configured so that it doesn't show remote images
    > of unknown senders. So far, so good, that works perfectly.
    >
    > However, when I click on "Show images" to show them explicitely for a
    > specific message, Thunderbird opens them with my default browser,
    > and doesn't show them in the message!
    >
    > (and since it opens each image in a separate window, it is really a
    > pain to close all these windows, up to 20!)
    >
    > I run Thunderbird version 1.5 (20051025) under MacOS X.
    >
    > Any idea what is going wrong?

    uncheck that options ( Block remote image ), restart TB , check that
    mail. same problem?
    also check another thing : start TB in safe mode and check
    [ "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode#Mac_OS_X" (follow same method for
    TB) ]

  4. Re: "Show images" opens browser windows

    Hi Norman, hi Nir

    Thanks for your help.

    Setting forward messages to "Inline" (Not Attachment) didn't help.

    > uncheck that options ( Block remote image ), restart TB , check that
    > mail. same problem?

    Yes.
    Now Thunderbird opens web browser windows for any email containing
    remote images.

    > also check another thing : start TB in safe mode and check
    > [ "http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode#Mac_OS_X" (follow same method for
    > TB) ]

    It goes in safe mode allright (as seen in the extension window), but it
    doesnt't change anything regarding my issue.

    Again, thanks for your help.
    I googled quite a bit and it seems I am the only one with this problem!

  5. Re: "Show images" opens browser windows

    On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 08:07:39 +0100, in message <6JednW0IqrAg5DHYnZ2dnUVZ_veinZ2d@mozilla.org>,
    Olivier Croquette wrote:

    > Hi Norman, hi Nir
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Setting forward messages to "Inline" (Not Attachment) didn't help.
    >
    > > uncheck that options ( Block remote image ), restart TB , check that
    > > mail. same problem?

    > Yes.
    > Now Thunderbird opens web browser windows for any email containing
    > remote images.

    Change network.protocol-handler.external.http back to false.

    { Edit -> Preferences } -> Advanced -> General -> Config Editor
    { Tools -> Options }

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

  6. Re: "Show images" opens browser windows

    Olivier Croquette wrote:
    > Now Thunderbird opens web browser windows for any email containing
    > remote images.

    Is this true for *all* messages with attachments or just a few, random
    emails? Also, what happens when you save the attachments to your
    desktop. Do they open on your browser? What is the default
    application you have set to open images? Also, have you checked
    Preferences > Attachments > View & Edit Actions? What does it show --
    if anything at all -- for JPG, for example?

  7. Re: "Show images" opens browser windows

    Ralph Fox wrote:

    >> Yes.
    >> Now Thunderbird opens web browser windows for any email containing
    >> remote images.

    > Change network.protocol-handler.external.http back to false.

    This is it, many thanks!
    I have no idea what or who changed this value in the first place.

    Thanks also to all who took time to help me!

  8. Re: "Show images" opens browser windows

    Ralph Fox wrote:

    > Change network.protocol-handler.external.http back to false.

    Now I remember: if I set it on "false", clicking on URLs in messages
    doesn't do anything anymore

  9. Re: "Show images" opens browser windows

    On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:24:48 +0100, in message ,
    Olivier Croquette wrote:

    > Ralph Fox wrote:
    >
    > > Change network.protocol-handler.external.http back to false.

    > Now I remember: if I set it on "false", clicking on URLs in messages
    > doesn't do anything anymore

    Testing here

    A. If network.protocol-handler.external.http is true,
    then Thunderbird opens web browser windows for
    any email containing remote images.

    B. If network.protocol-handler.external.http is false,
    then clicking on URLs in messages doesn't do
    anything.

    C. If I right-click on network.protocol-handler.external.http
    and choose "reset" from the context menu, then
    remote images appear in the message (not in browser windows)
    and clicking on URLs in messages works.

    Before I suggest that you "reset" network.protocol-handler.external.http,
    have you made any other settings which might interfere with this?
    For example, have you set network.protocol-handler.external-default
    to false (the default value is true)?

    Further testing

    D. If network.protocol-handler.external.http is reset,
    and network.protocol-handler.external-default is false,
    then clicking on URLs in messages does not work.

    I suggest you run your own tests of other combinations.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

  10. Re: "Show images" opens browser windows

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > I suggest you run your own tests of other combinations.

    Just resetting network.protocol-handler.external.http worked perfectly.
    I still wonder why it didn't have the same effect when I just set it to
    false. It seems there are three states: "true", "false" and default,
    which is really confusing!

    Many thanks for your help!

  11. Re: "Show images" opens browser windows

    On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 18:38:05 +0100, in message ,
    Olivier Croquette wrote:

    > Just resetting network.protocol-handler.external.http worked perfectly.

    It's good to hear you have it working right.

+ Reply to Thread